Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Millwall

I was late returning last night so as Mrs R has banned me from midnight keyboard tapping I have had to wait until the AM before posting my thoughts.

I was fairly confident of a positive result, mainly for historical reasons as Millwall hadn't beaten us at CR since the back end of the 1960's when my son was still in his pushchair. I know I was at that game but I have no recollections other than it being typical of that drab decade when City achieved little other than treading water in the old Division Two.

Dean Smith obviously had his reasons for swapping Cantwell and Hernandez in the starter roll and although the little man was lively in the opening stages there was very little product early doors. It was more of a frenetic midfield affair with Millwall looking strong and well organised leaving the home side with very little space in which to work. We were in the sixth minute before Dowell instigated a move down the right but could only screw his shot a couple of yards wide. Unfortunately it didn't spark more in the way of goalmouth action as even when they did get going, most of the moves broke down on the edge of the Millwall area. The closest we came was when Sargent almost broke into the box only to be brought down on the edge and the free kick came to nothing.

There wasn't much coming back either as we were close to the half hour before the visitors had a sight of our goal and Afobe could only deflect the ball well over the bar with a mistimed header. City were bossing territory and possesion comfortably but most raids by the wide men were shepherded inside and any danger quickly snuffed out. The closest thing to a goal was a Nunez free kick on the right which Sargent glanced across the box which Omobamidelle was a yard short of turning in.

Our discussions at the half concluded that we needed to move the ball quicker if we had any chance of penetrating what was a very sound Millwall defence.

Our wish was granted almost from the start as City began to come forward with more pupose. A neat quick passing interchange between Dowell, Sargent and Sinani ended with the latter putting Sargent clear just inside the Millwall box and the big striker wasted little time before smacking a fifteen yarder past a surprised Bialkowski to give the home side the lead. This was much more like it and as City buzzed around the Millwall area Sargent was again decked with a wild tackle but Nunez could only shoot a yard wide from a good position. Then Sargent nearly added another which was entirely of his own making when he charged down Bialkowski's attempted clearance. Fortunately for the Millwall custodian, he redeemed himself by deflecting the ball for a corner.

It had been a fairly physical game and Ref Rob Jones might have flashed a few more yellows for the pulls and tugs but to his credit he did attempt to let things flow. With twenty minutes left Millwall responded with a triple change and with fresher legs they began to exert a bit of pressure on the home defence. A corner from the right went across goal untouched and a long throw in from the same side was allowed to bounce dangerously before being hooked clear.

Thankfully nerves were settled soon after when Sargent tussled with two Millwall defenders on the left of centre field and managed to keep his feet despite some very physical attention. Keiron Dowell had picked up the loose ball and made off down the left before supplying a peach of a pass for Josh Sargent to run onto. Last season and bereft of confidence, I would have expected the big American to either fall over or screw his shot horribly wide but your could see the confidence flow and I never doubted that he would score, which he duly did by sweeping a low shot across Bialkowski into the far corner for two nil.

Dowell and Hernandez recieved generous applause when replaced moments later by Cantwell and Ramsay and although Millwall pushed forward much more, the City back line held firm. Hanley mostly got the better of the dangerous Afobe and Omobamidele looked calm and assured. There was a twenty yarder that clipped Krul's bar and a close range scramble that deflected over the bar but in truth City held on comfortably for a deserved victory.

Josh Sargent my MOM, amazing how quickly he has moved from scapegoat to hero. Young Gibbs added to his his stylish and competent debut. Class again from Nunez and some nice touches again from Dowell but in truth it was a good all round perfromance. Perhaps this season has finally got going in the right direction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 15

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I was late returning last night so as Mrs R has banned me from midnight keyboard tapping I have had to wait until the AM before posting my thoughts.

I was fairly confident of a positive result, mainly for historical reasons as Millwall hadn't beaten us at CR since the back end of the 1960's when my son was still in his pushchair. I know I was at that game but I have no recollections other than it being typical of that drab decade when City achieved little other than treading water in the old Division Two.

Dean Smith obviously had his reasons for swapping Cantwell and Hernandez in the starter roll and although the little man was lively in the opening stages there was very little product early doors. It was more of a frenetic midfield affair with Millwall looking strong and well organised leaving the home side with very little space in which to work. We were in the sixth minute before Dowell instigated a move down the right but could only screw his shot a couple of yards wide. Unfortunately it didn't spark more in the way of goalmouth action as even when they did get going, most of the moves broke down on the edge of the Millwall area. The closest we came was when Sargent almost broke into the box only to be brought down on the edge and the free kick came to nothing.

There wasn't much coming back either as we were close to the half hour before the visitors had a sight of our goal and Afobe could only deflect the ball well over the bar with a mistimed header. City were bossing territory and possesion comfortably but most raids by the wide men were shepherded inside and any danger quickly snuffed out. The closest thing to a goal was a Nunez free kick on the right which Sargent glanced across the box which Omobamidelle was a yard short of turning in.

Our discussions at the half concluded that we needed to move the ball quicker if we had any chance of penetrating what was a very sound Millwall defence.

Our wish was granted almost from the start as City began to come forward with more pupose. A neat quick passing interchange between Dowell, Sargent and Sinani ended with the latter putting Sargent clear just inside the Millwall box and the big striker wasted little time before smacking a fifteen yarder past a surprised Bialkowski to give the home side the lead. This was much more like it and as City buzzed around the Millwall area Sargent was again decked with a wild tackle but Nunez could only shoot a yard wide from a good position. Then Sargent nearly added another which was entirely of his own making when he charged down Bialkowski's attempted clearance. Fortunately for the Millwall custodian, he redeemed himself by deflecting the ball for a corner.

It had been a fairly physical game and Ref Rob Jones might have flashed a few more yellows for the pulls and tugs but to his credit he did attempt to let things flow. With twenty minutes left Millwall responded with a triple change and with fresher legs they began to exert a bit of pressure on the home defence. A corner from the right went across goal untouched and a long throw in from the same side was allowed to bounce dangerously before being hooked clear.

Thankfully nerves were settled soon after when Sargent tussled with two Millwall defenders on the left of centre field and managed to keep his feet despite some very physical attention. Keiron Dowell had picked up the loose ball and made off down the left before supplying a peach of a pass for Josh Sargent to run onto. Last season and bereft of confidence, I would have expected the big American to either fall over or screw his shot horribly wide but your could see the confidence flow and I never doubted that he would score, which he duly did by sweeping a low shot across Bialkowski into the far corner for two nil.

Dowell and Hernandez recieved generous applause when replaced moments later by Cantwell and Ramsay and although Millwall pushed forward much more, the City back line held firm. Hanley mostly got the better of the dangerous Afobe and Omobamidele looked calm and assured. There was a twenty yarder that clipped Krul's bar and a close range scramble that deflected over the bar but in truth City held on comfortably for a deserved victory.

Josh Sargent my MOM, amazing how quickly he has moved from scapegoat to hero. Young Gibbs added to his his stylish and competent debut. Class again from Nunez and some nice touches again from Dowell but in truth it was a good all round perfromance. Perhaps this season has finally got going in the right direction.

Lets hope you're right Ricardo. Yes Sarge MOTM obviously but I'm with you that Gibbo is a real prospect. His calmness under pressure but willingness to support was pleasing. I hope Deano doesn't drop him for Kenny when we bring in a left back.

I think, seeing the replay on the Roger Melly that Afobe's header in the first half was probably his shoulder. How the mighty have fallen. I remember posters asking for us to buy him. Dodged a bullet there.

No complaints about the ref. He tried to let it flow and didn't give in to the Millwall theatrics when Sarge scored his second. All the TV replays showed, if anything, he was playing advantage as Sarge was having his shirt pulled anyway.

I remember the Millwall loss as well 3-0 at CR. Weller and Possee ripped us apart. That was Lol Morgan's last season and Ron Saunders took over.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Lets hope you're right Ricardo. Yes Sarge MOTM obviously but I'm with you that Gibbo is a real prospect. His calmness under pressure but willingness to support was pleasing. I hope Deano doesn't drop him for Kenny when we bring in a left back.

I think, seeing the replay on the Roger Melly that Afobe's header in the first half was probably his shoulder. How the mighty have fallen. I remember posters asking for us to buy him. Dodged a bullet there.

No complaints about the ref. He tried to let it flow and didn't give in to the Millwall theatrics when Sarge scored his second. All the TV replays showed, if anything, he was playing advantage as Sarge was having his shirt pulled anyway.

I remember the Millwall loss as well 3-0 at CR. Weller and Possee ripped us apart. That was Lol Morgan's last season and Ron Saunders took over.

I've had a look at the records and it looked like it was Ken Mallenders debut. 40k then was a lot of money but he was one who never really hit the expected heights. I always felt a bit sorry for Lol Morgan. He brought in some decent players but could never really get them to click. The sixties had a few highlights but for me it remains a drab decade.

Been waiting all night for this, thought the Millwall fat boys had let your tyres down.

We were a different team second half, clearly the pep talk worked but to be honest we have frequently looked pedestrian developing the ball in the  games I have seen this season. Hopefully the penny has now dropped and we will see more of the same in the future.

Edited by Van wink
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Been waiting all night for this, thought the Millwall fat boys had let your tyres down.

We were a different team second half, clearly the pep talk worked but to be honest we have frequently looked pedestrian developing the ball in the  games I have seen this season. Hopefully the penny has now dropped and we will see more of the same in the future.

I managed to avoid the Fat boys. Mrs R objected to my keyboard tapping so I had to hold off until this morning. Yes, moving the ball quicker was the answer and Millwall had trouble staying with us when the pace increased. They looked strong and well organised but the class gap became more obvious second half.

Edited by ricardo

Watching on the box, it seemed to me as if we still leave big gaps in midfield that oppositions can exploit and were luck a couple of times to not have goals scored against us. Was that the impression at the match? I get that we had better quality, but against better teams maybe we would have struggled to keep a clean sheet.

18 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Watching on the box, it seemed to me as if we still leave big gaps in midfield that oppositions can exploit and were luck a couple of times to not have goals scored against us. Was that the impression at the match? I get that we had better quality, but against better teams maybe we would have struggled to keep a clean sheet.

There were occasions when we pushed up too far but you have to give some credit to the opposition.

51 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The big gaps in midfield suited us to be fair. Nunez couldn't believe his luck.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

I've had a look at the records and it looked like it was Ken Mallenders debut. 40k then was a lot of money but he was one who never really hit the expected heights. I always felt a bit sorry for Lol Morgan. He brought in some decent players but could never really get them to click. The sixties had a few highlights but for me it remains a drab decade.

I liked Mallender. He wasn't the greatest stopper but he did like to play football and he wouldn't just lump it up the pitch. Probably Freddie Sharpe as his partner in those days. The highlight of the 60s was going to Old Trafford in 67 and beating Manure. Best away day ever.

• Like 4

That's part of the Smith counter-press isn't it? We play high and the idea is to hunt aggressively after the ball and force them to unload it long where it should be Hanley, Omo, Krul vs a lone striker.

Also noted by the commentators on several occasions how the whole team would charge back defensively on a turnover, which is something that was a huge miss with Farke. Obviously not that DF wasn't a fantastic manager, but his teams were very passive after losing the ball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Gibbo is a real prospect

We have a real nickname issue here and I don't see how we can move forward unless we resolve it. Gibbsy?

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I liked Mallender. He wasn't the greatest stopper but he did like to play football and he wouldn't just lump it up the pitch. Probably Freddie Sharpe as his partner in those days. The highlight of the 60s was going to Old Trafford in 67 and beating Manure. Best away day ever.

Mallender was Lol Morgan's cousin. If it was now he'd be called Nepo Ken 🙃 I think Geoff Butler signed at the same time. Butler ended up the better signing of the two.

Best centre back Morgan signed was Big Dunc and of course he signed Kenny Foggo. These two were huge parts of the 72 championship team.

I remember a Millwall game in the 60s when Keelan poleaxed Posse who was ridiculously stood in front of the great man when he wanted to kick from his hands. Red card all day now but back then it was just a booking. King Kev had the last laugh as Weller put the pen wide.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

We have a real nickname issue here and I don't see how we can move forward unless we resolve it. Gibbsy?

Gibbon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Mallender was Lol Morgan's cousin. If it was now he'd be called Nepo Ken 🙃 I think Geoff Butler signed at the same time. Butler ended up the better signing of the two.

Best centre back Morgan signed was Big Dunc and of course he signed Kenny Foggo. These two were huge parts of the 72 championship team.

I remember a Millwall game in the 60s when Keelan poleaxed Posse who was ridiculously stood in front of the great man when he wanted to kick from his hands. Red card all day now but back then it was just a booking. King Kev had the last laugh as Weller put the pen wide.

Touble is, Morgan also signed the likes of Charlie Crickmore and Gerry Howshall. Did he sign Hughie Curran though?

20 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Touble is, Morgan also signed the likes of Charlie Crickmore and Gerry Howshall. Did he sign Hughie Curran though?

I think Ron Ashman signed Hughie.💛💚

14 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Funky?

As in Funky Gibbs.

No, I can just imagine him going ape at Onel when he goes down one of those blind alleys again

10 hours ago, ricardo said:

Josh Sargent my MOM, amazing how quickly he has moved from scapegoat to hero.

Yes - who's have thought a couple of months ago that Sargent would be keeping Pukki out and Hernandez over Rashica! 

Thanks for the report as ever!

7 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Or in best ublic school tradition "Gibbo minor?"

Rowett is still reeling from the supposed foul Sargent made in the build up to the second goal.  I watched it and I watched it again - 2 Millwall players doing their best to bundle him over but he stayed on his feet.  Sargent maintained composure and strength and at that point they wanted a foul. 

I don't rate Rowett as a bad manager but there's some terrible losers in this division.