Sign in to follow this  
WD40

Kenny out of midfield

Has the LB issue and Kenny’s need to cover actually solved a big headache for Smith? Would hope midfield remains unchanged should Byram come in at LB

Yeh Kenny is a bench player given the performance of the midfield.
He has been drifting into midfield and leaving Gibbs to cover, but Gibbs is going to eclipse him.

Think a lot of the old guard, Kenny, Pukki might well be finding more time on the bench and less time starting this year

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Kenny was great tonight. Didn't really put a foot wrong tbh.

He was shocking vs Huddersfield. 
But your right, to be fair he played really well tonight. He missed a crucial sliding challenge which was a bit messy around the 60th minute but aside from that credit to him.

13 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Haha... Apart from going AWOL several times and going to ground allowing the attacker in behind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fact he is even playing left back, a position that he has never played in his career before, and seemingly not even batting an eyelid about it should be a reason for praise. 

Just because he's not a Premier League midfielder, and the recruitment team couldn't find an upgrade, really doesn't justify the constant pelters he gets on a daily basis. 

• Like 7

"Didn't put a foot wrong" is a bit strong. 

He had a pretty bad performance overall IMO - gave the ball away in dangerous areas and didn't look convincing at all defensively.

I mean, I know it's not his natural position, but let's not get too carried away. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes strange isn’t it, we look so much better with Gibbs at the base and Dowell, Nunez combo.

Mclean was very solid last back last night, a couple missed tackles but didn’t do anything wrong. Maybe we found his best position? Certainly need our left backs fit soon.

Edited by Indy

Prefer Lungi there over him in the battle of the gap-fillers. McLean's biggest strength - namely his engine - can sometimes be his biggest weakness at the same time as there's often no such thing as a ball he won't chase. Can't be all that critical of a player trying his best in a position that's not his own and McLean's always up for a tussle.

He played well given he was out of natural position, definitely an improvement from against Huddersfield and his attacking in the second half was actually a big part of us being more of a threat 

He's covered LB well but is clearly a midfielder in an unnatural position, he got forward well but Hanley had to cover the  space he left a few times 2nd half.

Once we have a natural LB we could have a choice of Sara McLean or Hayden from the bench which at this level is huge, the only thing we missed over last 2 wins was a player to bring on to make us more solid and defensive

Kenny is doing a pretty good job, his efforts in a new position are worthy of praise imo but with games coming as rapidly as they are surely we need to bring in some defensive cover. 

Reminds me of the 85-86 promotion season,Ken Brown utilised John Deehan ,a centre forward, as a fullback for a long run of games . This didn't stop City going on a long winning run.

9 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Aside from a shocking cross field ball that big Andy saved his bacon from, a very fortunate offside on Afobe (Kenny ball watching) and that attempt to slide for the ball at the end, he did ok. 

he is a midfielder though, cannot complain at the job he has done though 

Edited by Dr Greenthumb

16 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Aside from a shocking cross field ball that big Andy saved his bacon from, a very fortunate offside on Afobe (Kenny ball watching) and that attempt to slide for the ball at the end, he did ok. 

And all those times he was jogging back while Hanley and Gibbs had to go out to do the left back job.

Edited by Number9

Yes he’s doing ok at LB but point is we’re improved with him out of the midfield. Shouldn’t be first name on team sheet anymore. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Ok perhaps my initial comments were overly euphoric, fuelled by too much beer!

He did Ok though.

Having seen Gibbs, Nunez and Dowell out perform this week, I'm not sure I'd be rushing him back to the midfield either.

• Like 1

The number of games he plays will be limited this season, Gibbs is exciting, but Hayden, and Sara are likely to be ahead of Kenny when they are fit, so it is going to be tough for him especially since Nunez is my favourite, and that has to count for something.

Edited by Newtopia

9 hours ago, Petriix said:

Haha... Apart from going AWOL several times and going to ground allowing the attacker in behind. 

And that never happens with Dimi or Sam? Or Max, Sam B or even Brandon Williams?

Sky seemed to be sdaying Kenny had some experience at LB.  Better at LB than midfield but thats not saying much.  Noticed Kenny pointing a lot not where he wanted the ball but the players orchestrating the others.  Real LB needed can we really rely on Byram long term, one that could operate at CB would be best.

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

Yes he’s doing ok at LB but point is we’re improved with him out of the midfield. Shouldn’t be first name on team sheet anymore. 

Smith forced into changes that he has not had the strength to make. 
Pukki & Kenny out of the team and their position and results have come. 
Smith out

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Ok perhaps my initial comments were overly euphoric, fuelled by too much beer!

He did Ok though.

Having seen Gibbs, Nunez and Dowell out perform this week, I'm not sure I'd be rushing him back to the midfield either.

Haha fair play.

On the evidence of this week, Kenny McLean and Jacob Sorensen are going to have to up their games to get back into the midfield again

11 hours ago, Petriix said:

That was embarrassingly bad.

I do think the upturn does have have lot to do with Gibbs and Nunez. Unfortunate for Kenny because I do believe he's a good Championship midfielder (but woeful EPL one) but he's been surpassed. Once Byram is fit, he needs to drop to the bench. Not convinced he will though.