1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

Fair play to the lad,  but I'm sure he'll be the first to admit he's still got a long way to prove he's worth the money spent on him, but more performances like tonight will help. 

I think one things for sure he is a striker not a right winger, the striker role is his to lose currently. 

£8m.

I still don't quite grasp this. People seem to think £8m is a lot of money. It's worth considering that Jordan Rhodes moved for more money in his career and despite being given premier league opportunities, never made it at that level.

Afobe, who was on the pitch for Millwall tonight, moved to Bournemouth for more money than Sargent.

Both of these players moves with large fees were years before Sargent's move to us. And that's the reality. If you want a player that has scored 20+ goals in the championship you are looking at £15m - or Armstrong. And there is no guarantee. 

Hell, even Hugill cost West Ham a reported £10m!! 

£8m is roughly the sort of money you would be looking at for a top League One striker these days. NOT a proven Premier League striker, or even a proven Championship striker unless they are available for below market rates for - pick a reason; last year of contract, club raising funds as in administration etc.

It just isn't reality.

Double figures this season and Sargent has proven his worth. Hit closer to 20 goals and in modern terms, he's looking a bargain.

• Like 5

Imagine the space Pukki would find up top in a two with the Sargemeister.

I suspect we are going to score a fair few goals this season when we get fully up to speed.

• Like 1

Just now, chicken said:

Double figures this season and Sargent has proven his worth. Hit closer to 20 goals and in modern terms, he's looking a bargain.

In that Pravda interview with Alice Piper, asked to describe last summer's transfer window, Stuart Webber said it was "OK". 

I wonder whether that assessment might look a bit more realistic at the end of this season.

1 minute ago, Ian said:

Imagine the space Pukki would find up top in a two with the Sargemeister.

I was thinking that, but also trying to work out how we pick a team, with this squad, that allows us to play two up front together...

5 minutes ago, chicken said:

£8m.

I still don't quite grasp this. People seem to think £8m is a lot of money. It's worth considering that Jordan Rhodes moved for more money in his career and despite being given premier league opportunities, never made it at that level.

Afobe, who was on the pitch for Millwall tonight, moved to Bournemouth for more money than Sargent.

Both of these players moves with large fees were years before Sargent's move to us. And that's the reality. If you want a player that has scored 20+ goals in the championship you are looking at £15m - or Armstrong. And there is no guarantee. 

£8m is roughly the sort of money you would be looking at for a top League One striker these days. NOT a proven Premier League striker, or even a proven Championship striker unless they are available for below market rates for - pick a reason; last year of contract, club raising funds as in administration etc.

It just isn't reality.

Bang on mate. £8m is fcuk all these days.

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I was thinking that, but also trying to work out how we pick a team, with this squad, that allows us to play two up front together...

Yeah, it is a very tricky one. Perhaps a 4 3 1 2 might accommodate them, but it's also a long season and doubtless we will need both of them firing on all cylinders given fatigue and injuries.

On that note, amazed Sarge didn't tweak his groin when he stretched to get the ball on target after that charge down. Would have put me out of commission for weeks I expect!

7 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

In that Pravda interview with Alice Piper, asked to describe last summer's transfer window, Stuart Webber said it was "OK". 

I wonder whether that assessment might look a bit more realistic at the end of this season.

I think I said a few times last season that the biggest criticism you could lay at Webber's feet was that their approach appeared, we now know a little better, to be to rely on a LOT of potential rather than players that had produced.

Lees-Melou, Rashica and Gunn arguably represented possibly the more "we know they can do it" players. Sargent, Tzolis, Gilmour, Normann, Kabak were all firmly "believe they have the potential" players, especially Tzolis who was said to be more of one for the future. Could we really afford to spend £9.5m on a player who probably wasn't ready to make an impact last season in all but the best of circumstances? 

The problem is the shifting world of football means trying to find worthy bargains in the championship can be difficult if nigh on impossible these days. Unless you happen to find the odd freebie. 

Edited by chicken
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Where have the dean smith haters gone too? Like bloody christmas eve, all through the forum Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse..

Try driving home from the game. Something you've never had to do. We can't all be sitting in the back bedroom 24/7, some of us actually travel to the game. Plum!

Edited by Inch High aka Inchy..
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chicken said:

£8m.

It just isn't reality.

I remember when we signed Phil Boyer from Bournemouth for £90K and all of us were shocked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

OK, he has been awful in the wrong position.

Hasn't been awful at all.

Not been on here for nearly a year thank f***, but people surprised bloke out on the wing now playing his preferred role down the centre is finding success. If you’ve slagged him off recently ETC, basically shat on him, then more fool you 👍

• Like 3

Talking about USA. Any chance him getting involved in the USA squad in Katar? Is it possible that his newfound form/motivation is coming from that direction? 

7 hours ago, chicken said:

£8m.

It just isn't reality.

I get that point,  but I meant it in relative terms to us. I said last summer we shouldn't have been signing 11 players in that bracket but maybe 4 or 5 in the bracket up. 

My point was he hadn't proved his worth....... YET...... Go on to score 25 plus goals this season and he will have done,  and on last nights evidence he'll do exactly that,  but just worth remembering we declared the 2nd coming of Iwan Roberts after the Watford game. 

I've been a harsh critic of Sargent. His 1st touch is still woeful, has a tendency to grab players when defending set pieces and his positional awareness / off the ball runs still needs work. But his workrate, strength and attitude have never been questioned, so it's pleasing to see his rewards the past couple of games and long may it continue. Well done Captain America 🇺🇸 

25 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

My point was he hadn't proved his worth....... YET...... Go on to score 25 plus goals this season and he will have done,  and on last nights evidence he'll do exactly that,  but just worth remembering we declared the 2nd coming of Iwan Roberts after the Watford game. 

Maybe not the second coming KH, but certainly shades of big Iwan last night, and gratifying to watch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Not been on here for nearly a year thank f***, but people surprised bloke out on the wing now playing his preferred role down the centre is finding success. If you’ve slagged him off recently ETC, basically shat on him, then more fool you 👍

Welcome back, fella!

8 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Nobody wanted him to fail

I wish I could be asr5ed to do the research which would, I am sure find posts which would Indicate the opposite  Granddaddio. Don't judge others by your own decent standards. 😇.

• Like 1

We do seem to have a renewed attacking purpose - no Rashica and having a more physical threat in Sargent who was excellent at harassing the millwall defence seems to have given the likes of Dowell, Sinani more confidence that we can actually be more direct and clinical in the final 3rd rather than overplaying. 

Teemu is at his best when playing on the last defenders shoulder and timing his runs behind and also quick 1-2 in the box to spin and get behind to unload a shot. For the opposition we come up against they won’t be generally be playing a high defence line and so Teemu’s most dangerous element of his game is nullified. 

it will be interesting to see how Idah comes back after his lay off and whether he can become a super sub in the same mould as Sarge in terms of that direct, physical harassing threat with actual end product. getting Holty involved with these strikers to refine them further is a great shout 

Excellent work rate had never been in doubt with Josh but seems he has finally found the confidence and even more importantly his feeders aka Dowell, Sinani and Nunez are finding the needed through balls and connections, Dowell had been really critical in the past two games

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Dean Smiths decisions on who to play seem to be getting proven right versus some fans opinions on here almost at a rate Farke achieved in second season..

Apart from playing Huggil I'm not sure what other team he could have put out?

Some criticism of Josh Sargent in the past has been justified (although I feel a lot of it was really aimed at Stuart Webber.)

As a striker who was brought in to be an important member of our squad last season, and for an outlay of £8-£9m, he was a flop.

The excessive stuff irritated me and as they opined, "he's not even a footballer," "he's total crap and non-league standard" I could not help but to conjure up images of sad, resentful teenagers having a keyboard field day whilst being perpetually ensconced in their lonely back bedrooms, whilst realizing that this was probably not the case.

It all became completely OTT, vicious and rather sad. I also believe that that sort of stuff filters through.

Shortly into his arrival onto the Carrow Road scene, I forecast that Josh would become a 'fan's favourite' in the Chumps. 

A pity that this had to come true. Back to Stuart Webber then.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Hopefully we won't be seeing Josh out on the right wing again!

I love the fact we have competition for places in most positions now. Pukki will have to up his game to get back in the team. Bad news for Hugill though and I wonder if he or Idah will be loaned out.

My take on Sargent is that he's easier to play with than Teemu due to his pace, physicality and of course he's very good in the air. More rounded, more options.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Hopefully we won't be seeing Josh out on the right wing again!

I love the fact we have competition for places in most positions now. Pukki will have to up his game to get back in the team. Bad news for Hugill though and I wonder if he or Idah will be loaned out.

My take on Sargent is that he's easier to play with than Teemu due to his pace, physicality and of course he's very good in the air. More rounded, more options.

I think Smith quite likes Idah, if anyone goes I suspect it will be Hugill

8 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

But it was a transfer window to enable us to compete in the EPL and they were all unfit for purpose when we needed fit for purpose so fair enough if in time they prove a worth but it doesn’t excuse the absolute travesty of last season!  

We can only hope lessons are being learned but i wonder in the case of Sara, if he is struggling to get a game and minutes to get up to speed and we are picking a Villa player ahead of him, what’s going on there?   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

But it was a transfer window to enable us to compete in the EPL and they were all unfit for purpose when we needed fit for purpose so fair enough if in time they prove a worth but it doesn’t excuse the absolute travesty of last season!

Yeah, completely agree with that. I guess the hope was that we buy three promising young players (Rashica, Tzolis and Sargent) and hope that one or two of them will make an instant impact. Obviously that didn't happen. But with our model, we have to hedge our bets, so buying potential makes a lot of sense. I think if that's the way we decided to go, Webber needed to be much more bullish about how proud we are of the way we do things (especially since it flies in the face of everything the rest of the PL is about) and much less bullish about our chances that season. 

3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Yeah, completely agree with that. I guess the hope was that we buy three promising young players (Rashica, Tzolis and Sargent) and hope that one or two of them will make an instant impact. Obviously that didn't happen. But with our model, we have to hedge our bets, so buying potential makes a lot of sense. I think if that's the way we decided to go, Webber needed to be much more bullish about how proud we are of the way we do things (especially since it flies in the face of everything the rest of the PL is about) and much less bullish about our chances that season. 

Yes, agree although we can’t afford to buy potential after promotion!   We need to do that after relegation so they have time to adapt and gain experience and confidence.   The likes of Nunez and Sara fit that bill but Ramsey is just wrong.   The lad is preventing development and game time for others.   He’s already preventing Sara from getting game time!   I fear that will be the case with Springett and /or Rowe too when fit!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

It will always have been poor for that season.

We’ve already got rid of Lees-Melou, Rashica has just gone missing currently, who knows if there’s still a talent there. Gilmour, Normann and Kabak enough said. Williams was alright.

Gunn was a good capture as a long term backup then replacement for Krul.

Sargent always looked a good long term prospect to me but last year was a tough year for him to come into that side and make an impact. I’m glad he’s now proving his worth but it wasn’t enough last year which is what we signed him for.

Tzolis is now out on loan, I hope he comes good and rises from the ashes to prove his talent and play for us.

Overall right now that window netted Gunn and Sargent as positives for the current squad, good as they are, you still can’t call last years transfers overall anything other than failure to me. Especially when you consider where Rashica and Tzolis are right now, Gunn and now particularly Sargent are just showing some minor redemption.

• Like 2

I've been critical of his touch and footballing ability in the past, although never doubted his attitude, work rate and physical attributes, but really pleased to see him getting goals.

It was great to see for the second goal that he could have squared it to Sinani for a tap but had the confidence to finish it himself. 

6 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I'm pleased you're back but you've not missed much of any quality 😅