Yellow Kiwi

Disgraceful £140 rip off

21 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Agree with both your replies. 

Maybe I should have worded it better. 

I was more trying to imply that it's similar, in that things change after purchase, which can potentially, more relevent to the ST purchase, be advantageous. 

Re live coverage, if a game is selected for live TV, it massively increases (guarantees)  the chance of a stream. Again I accept this isn't what you've signed up for,  but at least you get to see the game. 

There is somebody late of this forum who is able to watch all games for free ( apparently ).

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

There is somebody late of this forum who is able to watch all games for free ( apparently ).

He certainly has more time on his hands than previously!  

1 hour ago, Yellow Kiwi said:

No, not really. You can still go. You haven’t been told entry isn’t available to ST holders. 

So what was I purchasing. Even now you couldn’t tell me just what it is I purchased. I have no idea whether I will get to watch 5 games or 25. I have no idea if I will be able to watch a particular game until my alarm has woken me in the middle of the night and I find out the game is or isn’t available. I don’t think I’m being unreasonable in having expected to be able to watch more than 1 game in 8 by the end of the month. I’m pretty sure iFollow used to let me watch games 'as live' about 48 hrs after the restricted feed so I could pretend I was watching live as long as I didn’t go looking for the result. No such option seems to exist on Canary Radio. 

That’s precisely my point?  If you don’t know what you’re buying, don’t buy it - it’s not particularly cheap.

Edited by Branston Pickle

19 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

That’s precisely my point?  If you don’t know what you’re buying, don’t buy it - it’s not particularly cheap.

True enough. Sky can have my money next time rather than the club. Looked into it in a bit more detail and it would seem for an extra $5 (£2:50) / month I could have Sky Sport with all its channels and I’m pretty sure I could have watched at least 5 games by the end of August. If Canary Radio is value as some have tried suggesting then Sky is an absolute steal. 

6 minutes ago, Yellow Kiwi said:

True enough. Sky can have my money next time rather than the club. Looked into it in a bit more detail and it would seem for an extra $5 (£2:50) / month I could have Sky Sport with all its channels and I’m pretty sure I could have watched at least 5 games by the end of August. If Canary Radio is value as some have tried suggesting then Sky is an absolute steal. 

I’ve never quite understood the bits and bobs of the tv/radio deals, so have tended not to bother. 

It’s always struck me as pretty ridiculous that folk in Norfolk can listen to commentary for free, the rest have to pay; the rest of their output (that I’m not remotely interested in) is broadcast nationally for nothing. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

50 minutes ago, Yellow Kiwi said:

I'm in Taiwan so different restrictions for me Taiwan shows little to no championship football so for me it's worth it and I paid the money knowing that. The issue of not being able to watch games ”as live” after the fact is a huge one though,  surely lots of international followers want this. Is it maybe worth getting all the international supporters groups together and contacting the club about this? For example, you were unable to watch the millwall game Live because of Sky but if they allowed games after the fact, you would be happy to pay.

The Talksport app could be useful for a commentary as covers a good number of Championship matches. Sunderland game is on there next week.

On 19/08/2022 at 20:19, Yellow Kiwi said:

Here we go. Yet another game I can’t watch on Canarytv having coughed up £140. Currently running at 1 game from 6. Bournemouth won’t be available and I suspect neither will Sunderland making it 1 from 8. Feel like I have been completely robbed and won’t be giving the club any more of my hard earned cash until I’m confident something has changed. 

I completely understand your frustration, here's hoping that as the season progresses the number of games available increases and by the end of it you feel that you've had decent value for money. 

Thus far you clearly haven't and should be rightfully concerned, if by Xmas you are still feeling mugged off perhaps submit a written complaint to the club and request a partial refund?

6 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’ve never quite understood the bits and bobs of the tv/radio deals, so have tended not to bother. 

It’s always struck me as pretty ridiculous that folk in Norfolk can listen to commentary for free, the rest have to pay; the rest of their output (that I’m not remotely interested in) is broadcast nationally for nothing. 

Yes I find that strange also, might be down to the EFL agreement with the BBC rather than the club though?

It is annoying though as the entire production is paid for by the license fee! 

5 hours ago, Taiwan Canary said:

For example, you were unable to watch the millwall game Live because of Sky but if they allowed games after the fact, you would be happy to pay.

Absolutely this

The NFL gamepass app has all games available to watch later on,  works really well especially when theres a time difference,  had never considered it before i used it on there and now it makes so much sense

Edited by Haus

While being broadly sympathetic to the OP as an International Norwich supporter ... I have to say Stateside the combination of the £140 season pass + a $10 monthly ESPN+ subscription is pretty fantastic! I only wish the club would put their app out on the Apple TV platform so I could watch on my TV and not the iPad.

On 20/08/2022 at 00:12, hogesar said:

It's televised on Sky. They make it pretty clear before you purchase the stipulations. But at £140 if you get to watch 15 games that represents good value.

If you sign up to have access to coverage of a team you support, it's reasonable to expect to have access to everything. Canaries TV is simply trying to grab a bit of money for games that the exclusive rights can't be sold for, which is a short-sighted approach. 

Non-premier league clubs should shift from selling exclusive rights for broadcast to selling non-exclusive rights for broadcast in conjunction with marketing a proper subscription streaming service priced to make good revenue for clubs and giving fans top quality coverage of the entire season. 

16 hours ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

While being broadly sympathetic to the OP as an International Norwich supporter ... I have to say Stateside the combination of the £140 season pass + a $10 monthly ESPN+ subscription is pretty fantastic! I only wish the club would put their app out on the Apple TV platform so I could watch on my TV and not the iPad.

This year I've found a USB-C to HDMI cable has worked to get the App from the iPad (pro) onto the TV so I can watch on TV.  I don't think that worked with iFollow in the past,  but it so far this year it has been working. 

10 hours ago, Ottawa Canary said:

This year I've found a USB-C to HDMI cable has worked to get the App from the iPad (pro) onto the TV so I can watch on TV.  I don't think that worked with iFollow in the past,  but it so far this year it has been working. 

If you put a cheap HDMI splitter on the output then that strips out the HDCP and you can record any copy protected HDMI stream onto an HDMI games recorder to get a permanent recording*

*mentioned for educational purposes only because this would technically be copyright theft, so don't do it kids. 😇

On 20/08/2022 at 10:09, BroadstairsR said:

It is confusing and not good,

I actually said, "all games on Canary TV."

Does Canary TV not get access to away games then, eg. Cardiff?

I seem to remember watching the Cardiff game live, and it must have been via an illegal streaming service, as I make a point of buying a £10 pass whenever available in order to pay my way so to speak and having assumed that Canary TV meant that the proceeds were apportioned differently from the way they were I Follow ie. City got full money from the broadcast of away games as well. 

In the past (lockdown) I have made a point of 'buying' all home games, whilst saving money with an illegal for those away from Carrow Road as that money spent wouldn't have been of benefit to the club.

I had assumed that the advent of Canary TV meant that all games benefit City, even those away, as they were broadcast via that outlet.

The Cardiff game was not available to view as it was being shown as an external broadcast in some obscure countries. That’s the issue, it’s not just sky games you can’t view it’s anything selected for external broadcast anywhere in the world (I believe). 

Edited by Jim Smith

On 20/08/2022 at 11:26, Branston Pickle said:

I have to say that calling it a ‘disgraceful rip off’ is rather over the top - the broadcast deals are certainly confusing, but I think we all know this. Before committing the cash on it perhaps people should check what it is that they are purchasing - over a season it will presumably work out pretty decent vfm.  

Not if the ratio continues at 1 in 8 it won’t. 

Edited by Jim Smith