Yellow Kiwi

Disgraceful £140 rip off

Here we go. Yet another game I can’t watch on Canarytv having coughed up £140. Currently running at 1 game from 6. Bournemouth won’t be available and I suspect neither will Sunderland making it 1 from 8. Feel like I have been completely robbed and won’t be giving the club any more of my hard earned cash until I’m confident something has changed. 

• Like 2

Huddersfield is the only game I’ve been able to watch. Every other game has been 'video unavailable in your region'. Not what I signed up for. 

1 hour ago, Yellow Kiwi said:

Huddersfield is the only game I’ve been able to watch. Every other game has been 'video unavailable in your region'. Not what I signed up for. 

Are you using a VPN?

It's televised on Sky. They make it pretty clear before you purchase the stipulations. But at £140 if you get to watch 15 games that represents good value.

1 hour ago, Yellow Kiwi said:

It was predictable that we would get picked by Sky, particularly early on in the season, so those games would be unavailable as far as international-pass viewers are concerned, but the additional problem is that some games not being shown on Sky are still being televised in many overseas countries, and so are also unavailable.

I have a lot of sympathy for the OP here. I remember iFollow having a similar offer during the 18/19 season when I was living overseas, and because you only find out which games are available (legally) at relatively short notice, you wouldn't know at the start of the season if you're going to get ten games live or 35. It's a little bit unfair, and having been overseas for the last couple of weeks, the Hull and Huddersfield games were available where I am through the club's digital service but the Millwall one was not. 

I understand the club are powerless here as they too don't know which games will be selected for overseas broadcast until very close to matchday, but I completely understand where the OP is coming from. You're taking a bit of a lucky dip on how many games are going to be available.

• Like 2

If the game is on sky or overseas broadcast then it is widely available to stream. If its not on sky then its on the canariestv platform. I get the frustration, I've also dropped the money for the season pass (amazing how quick I can travel around from home) and had to find a stream to watch tonight. The terms are clear and it's just a case of adapting and finding dodgy streams when you have to, as mentioned above, 15 games would be decent value.

10 hours ago, Yellow Kiwi said:

Here we go. Yet another game I can’t watch on Canarytv having coughed up £140. Currently running at 1 game from 6. Bournemouth won’t be available and I suspect neither will Sunderland making it 1 from 8. Feel like I have been completely robbed and won’t be giving the club any more of my hard earned cash until I’m confident something has changed. 

You sound as though you have a VPN set to the UK (I’m assuming you’re abroad at present)

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

You sound as though you have a VPN set to the UK (I’m assuming you’re abroad at present)

I live in New Zealand and no I don’t have a VPN. 

6 hours ago, kick it off said:

15 games would be decent value.

It’s not just about value though. It’s about actually being able to watch games. Having had an iFollow account every year it was an option I wasn’t expecting every game but I wasn’t expecting Canary TV to actually be Canary Radio. Thought I was doing the right thing giving my money to the club, but should have paid double to Sky and got 7 times the games plus everything else Sky offers. 

It all seems a bit of a mess at the moment. 

Supporters abroad can access all games on Canary TV except those broadcast on Sky and, it seems, also Carabou Cup games.

Supporters in the UK can access all games on Canary TV except those scheduled for a 3pm start, those broadcast by Sky and Carabou Cup games.

I suppose the Sky arrangement is fair enough. The 3pm ruling makes little sense as it completely overestimates the adverse effect of a live stream on the attendance for the match-day experience, ignores the fact that half the fixtures are at away grounds in any case and seems oblivious to the fact that many thousands are 'country' supporters who would not attend in any case. It also overlooks the increasing efficiency and attainability of some of the better illegal streaming services.

Somebody is not exhibiting up-to-date thinking. There are a lot of £10 subscriptions in them there hills.  

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

It all seems a bit of a mess at the moment. 

Supporters abroad can access all games on Canary TV except those broadcast on Sky and, it seems, also Carabou Cup games.

Supporters in the UK can access all games on Canary TV except those scheduled for a 3pm start, those broadcast by Sky and Carabou Cup games.

I suppose the Sky arrangement is fair enough. The 3pm ruling makes little sense as it completely overestimates the adverse effect of a live stream on the attendance for the match-day experience, ignores the fact that half the fixtures are at away grounds in any case and seems oblivious to the fact that many thousands are 'country' supporters who would not attend in any case. It also overlooks the increasing efficiency and attainability of some of the better illegal streaming services.

Somebody is not exhibiting up-to-date thinking. There are a lot of £10 subscriptions in them there hills.  

That is not the case. Even if a game isn't on Sky, if it is broadcast overseas then it is not generally available. For example the Cardiff game was not on Sky but unavailable to £140 international subscribers apart from those living on a few Pacific islands.

8 hours ago, kick it off said:

If the game is on sky or overseas broadcast then it is widely available to stream. If its not on sky then its on the canariestv platform. I get the frustration, I've also dropped the money for the season pass (amazing how quick I can travel around from home) and had to find a stream to watch tonight. The terms are clear and it's just a case of adapting and finding dodgy streams when you have to, as mentioned above, 15 games would be decent value.

As above, that is not necessarily the case. And if we continue our upward progress then the chances are quite a few games not on Sky will still be unavailable. I should say I understood this potential  problem when I signed up, but perhaps not the likely scale of it.

23 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

That is not the case. Even if a game isn't on Sky, if it is broadcast overseas then it is not generally available. For example the Cardiff game was not on Sky but unavailable to £140 international subscribers apart from those living on a few Pacific islands.

It is confusing and not good,

I actually said, "all games on Canary TV."

Does Canary TV not get access to away games then, eg. Cardiff?

I seem to remember watching the Cardiff game live, and it must have been via an illegal streaming service, as I make a point of buying a £10 pass whenever available in order to pay my way so to speak and having assumed that Canary TV meant that the proceeds were apportioned differently from the way they were I Follow ie. City got full money from the broadcast of away games as well. 

In the past (lockdown) I have made a point of 'buying' all home games, whilst saving money with an illegal for those away from Carrow Road as that money spent wouldn't have been of benefit to the club.

I had assumed that the advent of Canary TV meant that all games benefit City, even those away, as they were broadcast via that outlet.

Edited by BroadstairsR

24 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

As above, that is not necessarily the case. And if we continue our upward progress then the chances are quite a few games not on Sky will still be unavailable. I should say I understood this potential  problem when I signed up, but perhaps not the likely scale of it.

As I said. If its on sky or international broadcast, it is available via stream

45 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

It is confusing and not good,

I actually said, "all games on Canary TV."

Does Canary TV not get access to away games then, eg. Cardiff?

I seem to remember watching the Cardiff game live, and it must have been via an illegal streaming service, as I make a point of buying a £10 pass whenever available in order to pay my way so to speak and having assumed that Canary TV meant that the proceeds were apportioned differently from the way they were I Follow ie. City got full money from the broadcast of away games as well. 

In the past (lockdown) I have made a point of 'buying' all home games, whilst saving money with an illegal for those away from Carrow Road as that money spent wouldn't have been of benefit to the club.

I had assumed that the advent of Canary TV meant that all games benefit City, even those away, as they were broadcast via that outlet.

It is not a question of it being away. The Hull game was available on the club's international pass, because it wasn't being shown overseas, but the Cardiff game was not available because it was broadcast overseas.

I totally get the frustration but all I'm bothered about is getting to see the games. I can't go as much as I'd like due to kids, being miles away etc, so whether it's a stream or canariestv, or one of the games I get to, as long as I can see every game, then il live with ut. As such, however many games we do get via canariestv (plus audio of the cup) will work out decent value in my book

Edited by kick it off

10 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I have a lot of sympathy for the OP here. I remember iFollow having a similar offer during the 18/19 season when I was living overseas, and because you only find out which games are available (legally) at relatively short notice, you wouldn't know at the start of the season if you're going to get ten games live or 35. It's a little bit unfair, and having been overseas for the last couple of weeks, the Hull and Huddersfield games were available where I am through the club's digital service but the Millwall one was not. 

I understand the club are powerless here as they too don't know which games will be selected for overseas broadcast until very close to matchday, but I completely understand where the OP is coming from. You're taking a bit of a lucky dip on how many games are going to be available.

This combined with OP's post is why I gave up on Iplayer a while ago. That and all the issues it was having, felt like every other match there were issues such as no sound or it just not working for half the match

I have to say that calling it a ‘disgraceful rip off’ is rather over the top - the broadcast deals are certainly confusing, but I think we all know this. Before committing the cash on it perhaps people should check what it is that they are purchasing - over a season it will presumably work out pretty decent vfm.  

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This combined with OP's post is why I gave up on Iplayer a while ago. That and all the issues it was having, felt like every other match there were issues such as no sound or it just not working for half the match

Never have those issues at the ground - you should try it 😉 

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I have to say that calling it a ‘disgraceful rip off’ is rather over the top - the broadcast deals are certainly confusing, but I think we all know this. Before committing the cash on it perhaps people should check what it is that they are purchasing - over a season it will presumably work out pretty decent vfm.  

Branston, I agree that if one ends up being able to watch 15 to 20 matches that will be good value for money. And the terms make it plain that if a match is broadcast overseas in the country where one lives then it will not be available.

But until one signed on and started checking out particular games one had no idea how often matches would be broadcast overseas and just as crucially how limited or widespread was the unavailability.

Early days but it seems that quite a few matches will be broadcast overseas, and with widespread unavailability, because most countries will be showing them.

In that sense, however carefully one read the small print, it was still not possible to have even a reasonably accurate estimate of how many matches one would be able to see for one's £140.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

Branston, I agree that if one ends up being able to watch 15 to 20 matches that will be good value for money. And the terms make it plain that if a match is broadcast overseas in the country where one lives then it will not be available.

But until one signed on and started checking out particular games one had no idea how often matches would be broadcast overseas and just as crucially how limited or widespread was the unavailability.

Early days but it seems that quite a few matches will be broadcast overseas, and with widespread unavailability, because most countries will be showing them.

In that sense, however carefully one read the small print, it was still not possible to have even a reasonably accurate estimate of how many matches one would be able to see for one's £140.

Isn't that similar to purchasing a ST. You hope most matches are Saturday 3pm, with a few mid weekers (more in efl than epl), however there is a big risk, increasing as we enjoy more success that these will change. You know the potential is there but still pain when it happens

57 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Assuming you mean iFollow, I agree. Easily the worst streaming service I've ever used.

• Like 1

Until football realises it is missing out, not from screening, but not screening, then this may well continue for a while yet. Every single game is recorded for someone. Even the Birmingham game was on a stream. Don't be greedy like when iFollow doubled in one season and people will buy into it.

Make every game all ticket. When the attendance reaches an agreed level it can be streamed outside of Norwich . They have done it in the US for years.

34 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Isn't that similar to purchasing a ST. 

No, not really. You can still go. You haven’t been told entry isn’t available to ST holders. 

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

So what was I purchasing. Even now you couldn’t tell me just what it is I purchased. I have no idea whether I will get to watch 5 games or 25. I have no idea if I will be able to watch a particular game until my alarm has woken me in the middle of the night and I find out the game is or isn’t available. I don’t think I’m being unreasonable in having expected to be able to watch more than 1 game in 8 by the end of the month. I’m pretty sure iFollow used to let me watch games 'as live' about 48 hrs after the restricted feed so I could pretend I was watching live as long as I didn’t go looking for the result. No such option seems to exist on Canary Radio. 

38 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Isn't that similar to purchasing a ST. You hope most matches are Saturday 3pm, with a few mid weekers (more in efl than epl), however there is a big risk, increasing as we enjoy more success that these will change. You know the potential is there but still pain when it happens

No, because depending on circumstances one might still be able to get to a Friday or Sunday game, and it might even be the switch would make a game possible that would not have been so on a Saturday. 

If these games are unavailable then they are unavailable. So far, and I wouldn't make too much of these figures, but three of the five league games have been unavailable to purchasers of the international pass. If that carried on over the season then only 19 would be available and 27 unavailable.

Agree with both your replies. 

Maybe I should have worded it better. 

I was more trying to imply that it's similar, in that things change after purchase, which can potentially, more relevent to the ST purchase, be advantageous. 

Re live coverage, if a game is selected for live TV, it massively increases (guarantees)  the chance of a stream. Again I accept this isn't what you've signed up for,  but at least you get to see the game. 

• Like 1