Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Play better without pukki

We have an embarrassment of riches now in terms of providing the service to Pukki. The issue is how do we play without him? There were positive signs against Huddersfield but we didn't create as much 2nd half until late on.

It's a nice problem to have and it's down to Smith to utilise and shuffle the pack accordingly, depending on the opposition, fitness and injuries. The challenge will be can the squad learn 2 different ways of providing service to the main striker?

I'd also like to see more midfielders getting in the box, but that's another issue.

9 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Ramsey has shown glimpses of what he can do in his short cameo appearances. What is everyone's take on Sara currently? Albeit very early days / regaining match fitness.

Think I said on a couple of early threads he will be regarded as a flop at the price we paid. £3m and it’s money well spent. Record transfer and don’t think he’ll live up to it. Regaining fitness and hope to be wrong, but think he’ll just be ‘ok’. 

Sargent had a couple of chances in that Huddersfield game that Pukki would have buried. It's not like we were just slinging head-high crosses in at him.

12 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Ramsey has shown glimpses of what he can do in his short cameo appearances. What is everyone's take on Sara currently? Albeit very early days / regaining match fitness.

He's doing ok but not sure what I was expecting really. Nunez however has hit the ground running and looks more like a £11m player!

Sara needs minutes on the pitch, lots of them.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Sargent had a couple of chances in that Huddersfield game that Pukki would have buried. It's not like we were just slinging head-high crosses in at him.

Well he hasn't buried any so far this season, so I'm not sure what makes you say that.

This is quite strange actually.

Usually these threads are about how good players are when they are not playing and that they should be in the team.

But for some reason people are now saying how poor Teemu is becoming after he misses a match.

Still I suppose he will have to miss a few more matches before his form starts to pick up in some people's eyes.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Christ the ammount of people thinking we can just throw our striker who has scored 25+ goals at this level twice away is hillairously depressing. It's not Pukki's fault that Dean does not know how to use him and his team mates can't be bothered to support him

Same sort of situation we had with jarome played him too long , although he went on to come good again elsewhere. If they are not going to play him right and the players won’t support him that answers the question should he be dropped , use him on the bench for now for a couple of games to see if there is improvement . He no doubt has been good in the past 

Posted this yesterday on another thread. Haven't changed my mind. No 'sacred' cows etc.

As others have noted, if we play 1 up with Pukki we are simply very 1 dimensional, predictable, with little aerial threat. Frankly I think teams, especially EPL teams sussed that out seasons ago and worked out how to neuter it. Add to that I don't think Pukki is as sharp/clinical as he was.

That's why we scored so few goals and were relegated.

I rather miss the under-rated Holt figure who would be a threat under all conditions, goal mouth scramble, aerial cross, one on one or ball to feet and find a way to put the ball, and goalkeeper if necessary, into the net. 

Pukki is great when on-form but we need alternatives. Sargent took his chance. He starts against Millwall.

1 hour ago, Canary dwarf said:

The problem is the lack of striker options , idah , hugill Sargent ?, but pukki has deffo lost a yard of pace so really not sure what the answer is

He may have lost pace but when he's fit, his movement is still sharp as ever.

Jesus H Çhrist on a bicycle. So Sargent scores 1 goal and now it’s, we play better without pukki.  
Unless you noticed Huddersfield were crap, and we still made such hard work of it in the second half against 10 men. Who’s to say pukki wouldn’t have got a hattrick! Something he’s very capable off. 

Unless you’re saying Pukki is washed up which is a very harsh call 4 games in to the season then he still the best striker we have. First name on the team sheet for me.

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I’m sorry but Pukki has had a few chances in his games which he hasn’t buried! What makes you think he would have done Tuesday?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

Think pukki should be on bench as I thought we looked far better with him 

Yes definitely but we all know what is going to happen pukki will be in and Sargent will be back on the bench and come on 10 minutes before the game ends .

7 minutes ago, For the future said:

Yes definitely but we all know what is going to happen pukki will be in and Sargent will be back on the bench and come on 10 minutes before the game ends .

According to many on here Sargent would have been very lucky to have made the bench two weeks ago.

It's amazing how a goal changes people's minds just the same as a very bad miss (Brighton) does.

32 minutes ago, Indy said:

I’m sorry but Pukki has had a few chances in his games which he hasn’t buried! What makes you think he would have done Tuesday?

Fair question. "Because class is permanent" would be my answer. But really the point I was making was that we were still creating Pukki-like chances even with Sargent up front.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Fair question. "Because class is permanent" would be my answer. But really the point I was making was that we were still creating Pukki-like chances even with Sargent up front.

Indeed, don’t get me wrong, Pukki with the right game around him has been brilliant for us, but this season you can see a frustration in his face, maybe Smith game just isn’t fully suited! But I’m a great believer in form, if Sargent deserves to be dropped fine but Tuesday he did enough for me to start. The pressure is on Pukki to come on and then take his chance, good place to be!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

Indeed, don’t get me wrong, Pukki with the right game around him has been brilliant for us, but this season you can see a frustration in his face, maybe Smith game just isn’t fully suited! But I’m a great believer in form, if Sargent deserves to be dropped fine but Tuesday he did enough for me to start. The pressure is on Pukki to come on and then take his chance, good place to be!

Yes Indy. Sargent could really have done nothing more to stake a claim to the No. 9 shirt - and in any case Pukki's foot will welcome a few extra days to recover. Sargent simply deserves his start against Millwall (he can always be subbed if we need to change it) else why is he here - or any other striker for that matter? I noted that Sargent did play for once in his preferred position. CF.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2022 at 11:01, cambridgeshire canary said:

Christ the ammount of people thinking we can just throw our striker who has scored 25+ goals at this level twice away is hillairously depressing. It's not Pukki's fault that Dean does not know how to use him and his team mates can't be bothered to support him

2-0 I rest my case 

• Like 1

On 18/08/2022 at 14:00, Yellow Fever said:

Posted this yesterday on another thread. Haven't changed my mind. No 'sacred' cows etc.

As others have noted, if we play 1 up with Pukki we are simply very 1 dimensional, predictable, with little aerial threat. Frankly I think teams, especially EPL teams sussed that out seasons ago and worked out how to neuter it. Add to that I don't think Pukki is as sharp/clinical as he was.

That's why we scored so few goals and were relegated.

I rather miss the under-rated Holt figure who would be a threat under all conditions, goal mouth scramble, aerial cross, one on one or ball to feet and find a way to put the ball, and goalkeeper if necessary, into the net. 

Pukki is great when on-form but we need alternatives. Sargent took his chance. He starts against Millwall.

Ok. Any Questions !

On 18/08/2022 at 11:01, cambridgeshire canary said:

You were looking for us Dean Smith haters and now you've outed yourself as one.😂 Just like you hate twitter but live on twitter...Flip flop.

Pukki will still have a massive role to play this season imho, but all credit to Sargent for seizing his opportunity. He’s providing the goods right now and Teemu is going to have to get used to that bench for a bit.

• Like 2