Sign in to follow this  
non-scoring strikers

Desperately need a new striker

I dare say that Pukki seems bereft of any type of good form that previously saw him tear defences in this league to ribbons and he’s looked distracted for a while now.

Sargent was useful last night but we were playing in what looked like a training exercise, Huddersfield offered nothing except from what we gave them, which by the end of the game turned out to be quite considerable.

The less said about the bumbling, ineffective Hugill the better. 

I know Idah is set to return at some point but he’s also rather leaden-footed.

There is no way we can seriously be considered promotion favourites with the above forward line. We urgently need a decent striker.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, non-scoring strikers said:

I dare say that Pukki seems bereft of any type of good form that previously saw him tear defences in this league to ribbons and he’s looked distracted for a while now.

Sargent was useful last night but we were playing in what looked like a training exercise, Huddersfield offered nothing except from what we gave them, which by the end of the game turned out to be quite considerable.

There is no way we can seriously be considered promotion favourites with the above forward line. We urgently need a decent striker.

I agree. Think we need a Hucks/Crouch type moment plus a left back

Pukki will get going given time, hes only played three games. People need to be patient. Class is permanent.

I would certainly welcome a new centre forward but if we have to go with what we have up top and the wide players/ number tens then we have plenty to finish top two without an addition. 

• Sad 1

Sargent/hugill play a different game to pukki. 433 sort of stifles his play. Pukki needs a proper 10 to play balls through to him. 4231 is the preferred play for playing to pukkis strength. I don't believe smith wants to play that way so until injuries happen or players regaining fitness (Hayden etc). We'll see a different pukki. Yes he's getting on a bit, but write him off at your peril

• Thanks 1

I agree. Our current options are good enough for mid table but a promotion push requires two special strikers capable of getting the goals 

Pukki is. But ageing and suffering loss of form

sargent isn’t. Gets the odd goal but his first touch is appalling. 

idah is always about to be good or injured - I fear more likely to be the next Ryan Jarvis than the next Bellamy 

hugill is L2 standard with a good attitude 

Surely the problem whis season has been that we have conceded too many stupid goals.  They always happen but it our defense which needs sorting.

I would argue if we are going to add anything else in the window it would be another defensive midfield player as an option to tighten things up from the bench.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I will die on this hill, Clarke-Harris is who we should be going for. 

Scored goals in this league for a relegated posh. 

Not the worst shout to be fair, valued at about £1.5m although I imagine Posh would want more. He's 28 so doesn't quite fit our transfer model

35 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Surely the problem whis season has been that we have conceded too many stupid goals.  They always happen but it our defense which needs sorting.

People wouldn’t be talking about defensive mistakes at all if we were taking a greater percentage of our chances. Goals win games, unfortunately we struggle to score consistently.

30 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I will die on this hill, Clarke-Harris is who we should be going for. 

Scored goals in this league for a relegated posh. 

You are not the bloke who called Canary Call last night are you? 😃

• Thanks 1

We set up last night with Sargent up front and won for the first time this season with a far better display from most players a part from defensive error 

people are now saying change formation 

and drop sarge for pukki ? 

why change a winning team ? 
Why make football difficult when really it is simple stick to a winning side 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Oh yes we can be seriously considered, we’ve got far to many arrogant fans who think we’ve a right to promotion and have the best players in the league not to be right in the mix, it would be inconceivable!   🤣🤣🤣🤬.   

it’s imprinted all over this forum this last two months.

And now it’s dawning, our players aren’t quite as good as these fans bizarrely demand, it’s all Smiths fault!   No I’m not supporting Smith here, it’s just his job remit and expectations are at odds with what’s feasible with this group of players!

23 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

We set up last night with Sargent up front and won for the first time this season with a far better display from most players a part from defensive error 

people are now saying change formation 

and drop sarge for pukki ? 

why change a winning team ? 
Why make football difficult when really it is simple stick to a winning side 

Maybe, just maybe, because it’s different opposition next.    Like Sargent is the answer!!!!!!   🤣🤣🤣

1 minute ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Maybe, just maybe, because it’s different opposition next.    Like Sargent is the answer!!!!!!   🤣🤣🤣

well Sargent has not been the answer but he did the business last night 

was Pukki the answer for the first 3 games ? 

so Gibbs gets dropped now does he if a midfielder is available ? 

how about Sinani gets dropped now because Rashica cost more money ?

lets play players that are in FORM 

lets keep a Formation that works 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

And the opposition that the OP says 'offered nothing except what we gave them' with this formation and personnel, finished last championship season in 3rd place. 

It's just more evidence that the overall formation and philosophy is working, which is undermined by the odd individual error, but those errors are becoming less frequent as evidenced by the shift last night from losing to bottom end Championship teams to winning against a top-end championship team. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

well Sargent has not been the answer but he did the business last night 

was Pukki the answer for the first 3 games ? 

so Gibbs gets dropped now does he if a midfielder is available ? 

how about Sinani gets dropped now because Rashica cost more money ?

lets play players that are in FORM 

lets keep a Formation that works 

I am with you 100% on all of that except the centre forward role.   For me we have three options, Pukki and carry on expecting improvements (possible), Idah or 2 up top!   Sargent and Hugill have done literally nothing to suggest they can contribute consistently.   Idah at least has potential provided he can get fit!

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

And the opposition that the OP says 'offered nothing except what we gave them' with this formation and personnel, finished last championship season in 3rd place. 

It's just more evidence that the overall formation and philosophy is working, which is undermined by the odd individual error, but those errors are becoming less frequent as evidenced by the shift last night from losing to bottom end Championship teams to winning against a top-end championship team. 

Point noted but Huddersfield last season is not Huddersfield this season, they’ve lost lots of players!  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I am with you 100% on all of that except the centre forward role.   For me we have three options, Pukki and carry on expecting improvements (possible), Idah or 2 up top!   Sargent and Hugill have done literally nothing to suggest they can contribute consistently.   Idah at least has potential provided he can get fit!

yes believe me i would not of had Sargent upfront last night but he did prove me wrong 

he put in a shift scored and got a player sent off 

Now i do not know if he will continue to score history says no but i think he has earned the chance 

Pukki history says he is a Norwich Great but the 3 games he has played he is out of sorts 

i just think players need to be rewarded for playing well 

Sarge did what was asked the whole team played with more freedom 

i think for one game we have to keep it the same IF the old sarge comes back then of course take him off then Pukki gets his chance 

• Like 2

I would like to see at least 3 new players before the window ends, a defender (would like an upgrade cb, but can understand the need for lb due to injuries), a winger and a striker.

2 minutes ago, Calle said:

I would like to see at least 3 new players before the window ends, a defender (would like an upgrade cb, but can understand the need for lb due to injuries), a winger and a striker.

Dear Santa Claus…..

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Don’t agree we need another striker. If anything we need another full back or defensive mid. 

Agreed. At this level, Pukki / Sargent / Idah / Hugill is enough, especially when we primarily play one up-front.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ said:

He's 28 so doesn't quite fit our transfer model

How did you work that one out, wasn't Pukki 28 when we signed him, and Hugill 27 or 28? 

Agree that we could do with more quality amongst our striking options. Hugill, Sargent and Idah all have pretty obvious weaknesses and I'm not sure any of us would be that confident if Pukki were to be injured for any length of time.

But I am staggered by how quick some people have been to write Pukki off. Quite happy to accept he hasn't been at his best in the opening three games, but show the guy some respect. We're so lucky to have him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Agree that we could do with more quality amongst our striking options. Hugill, Sargent and Idah all have pretty obvious weaknesses and I'm not sure any of us would be that confident if Pukki were to be injured for any length of time.

But I am staggered by how quick some people have been to write Pukki off. Quite happy to accept he hasn't been at his best in the opening three games, but show the guy some respect. We're so lucky to have him.

Agreed just Imagine last season but without Pukki.