Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Too many substitions

Prime example tonight of the folly of putting too many subs on. All the good work done up to then is spoiled as new players come on and try to find the pace of the game and teamwork goes up the creek as so many partnerships developed through the game disappear.  You simply can't make that many changes in so few minutes and expect the team to continue as they did beforehand.  Some good moments with the subs - mainly Hernandez, but overall, not good for the game to have so many changes.

Nowhere does it say you HAVE to play all five subs.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I have to agree - 5 subs is two too many.  It makes the whole thing a bit daft when you can swap half the team.

(it’s not our use of the five subs, but the 5 subs rule itself that I think we’re criticising)

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Fresh legs, we were looking lethargic and out of ideas, plus it uses up time. Also it keeps players fresher when we have a game on Friday that most of them will start again.

• Like 2

I think it would if we had at least one defensive option to bring on! I would be looking to sign another defensive midfield player before the window closes.

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Probably got an eye on the fact we play again in 3 days and we're already carrying quite a large injured list.

Exactly what I thought. It seemed the obvious move, the game looked comfortably won (little did we know) and saving the legs of the most effective players for Friday. Just about worked...

3 minutes ago, city4eva said:

Made perfect sense to me given we have a game on Friday 

3 minutes ago, city4eva said:

Made perfect sense to me given we have a game on Friday 

It’s not the use of the 5 subs - it made perfect sense to use all options given the game on Friday - it’s the rule itself. It’s daft.

Tbh the 5 sub rule is stupid and it clearly favours the stronger teams, which should be us this season. It did feel like a friendly when both teams made all the subs in the second half. It was needed though for us today, the players looked tired out there and does raise some fitness concerns but it felt like we were happy coasting until Onel came on as well. I also think the subs messed up the midfield balance. 

But hey, we won, how is Lakey complaining!?!

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s not the use of the 5 subs - it made perfect sense to use all options given the game on Friday - it’s the rule itself. It’s daft.

Indeed,when in the PL we objected that due to their squad sizes the likes of Liverpool City etc gained a huge advantage. Now we are in a position to take advantage of that situation created for the bigger clubs, we should not be moaning.

3 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

Tbh the 5 sub rule is stupid and it clearly favours the stronger teams, which should be us this season. It did feel like a friendly when both teams made all the subs in the second half. It was needed though for us today, the players looked tired out there and does raise some fitness concerns but it felt like we were happy coasting until Onel came on as well. I also think the subs messed up the midfield balance. 

But hey, we won, how is Lakey complaining!?!

I reckon his op was more about his mate Farke being sacked than us using 5 subs.

• Haha 1

I agree it killed the structure , I get the fact we have a game Friday but still when you change half the team you lose something as shown this evening.

Still think it favours the big boys and their benches.

Before too long you will have rolling subs and have penalty guys and corner guys and defence only guys just like ice hockey 

• Like 1

Let’s be honest 5 subs is designed for a champions league team playing on away on the Saturday following a long away trip on the Wednesday. With 5 subs you can rest half the team safe in the knowledge you can bring them on in the second half.

Personally I remember the Man Utd game FA cup in lockdown. They brought on six players that day and it was a joke. Pogba, Greenwood, Rashford, Martial all came on

3 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

I agree it killed the structure , I get the fact we have a game Friday but still when you change half the team you lose something as shown this evening.

Still think it favours the big boys and their benches.

Before too long you will have rolling subs and have penalty guys and corner guys and defence only guys just like ice hockey 

This is the way it is going.  It's actually ludicrous - we've seen how a manager will bring on a player in the last minute of a cup game to take penalty and seen it backfire spectacularly.   Five changes just seems too many for the good of the team.

• Like 1

The first two subs livend us up but the rest disrupted our Rhythm far too much Rashica better off staying on the bench he’s now behind Sinani, Cantwell and Onel in the pecking order in my book 

• Like 1

Agreed Lakey, we had control of the game, 5 subs later we were under pressure. 
Gutting your team like that so quickly is going to lead to problems.

Using subs to waste time is also a trick used which can backfire - THANK YOU Robbie Savage.

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

The first two subs livend us up but the rest disrupted our Rhythm far too much Rashica better off staying on the bench he’s now behind Sinani, Cantwell and Onel in the pecking order in my book 

I know it was a cameo but Raschica looked well off the pace. But yeh 100% agree with this. 
Argos looked top dollar and changed the game, then the rest killed the rhythm. 

I'm still waiting for a team to change keepers in the 96th minute at 1-0 up just to waste some time 😅

But you can only make them in 3 drops and halftime so I am not not quite sure what the issue is. Hernandez did well but the other subs didn't really show for us tbh. Gibbs was blowing out his **** towards the end. I'd have brought Gibson on, Rashica was not what we needed.