Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****Official Lapps Match Thread v Huddersfield (L/h) *****

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Not on this season’s form he isn’t, if Sarg bags a hatty he will start next game. Hell, he’s close to having earned another start already!

Is Pukki injured?

1 minute ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Why would you drop someone in some sort of goalscoring form for someone who's been far off the pace so far. 

Don't pick names pick form, Sargent's offering more so far so he gets the shirt.

Because Pukki is good, Sargent is poor, or average at best. Pukki has been given no service this season, give him service and he will score. I'm not a fan of flip flopping with the wind like most others on here, one good game doesn't make him good, one poor game doesn't make Pukki bad. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It does make you wonder - as much as Pukki is undoubtedly a Hall of Famer when he goes - if his excellence inadvertently stifled a few of the other players.

I mean, we'd have looked a lot better tonight regardless of whether it was him or Sargent just by having Sinani in for Rashica and Gibbs in for McLean in the centre.

Gibbs looks really good, should keep his place, all action and no pointing.

6 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Because Pukki is good, Sargent is poor, or average at best. Pukki has been given no service this season, give him service and he will score. I'm not a fan of flip flopping with the wind like most others on here, one good game doesn't make him good, one poor game doesn't make Pukki bad. 

Pukki has had plenty of chances this season (in 3 games not just 1 😉) and hasn't taken them. 

Sarg has just bagged a goal. 

Sorry I like Teemu as much as the next person and respect the guy massively for what he's done for this club, but every player has their sell by date, and teemu wanted out at the start of the summer, hasn't looked very interested so far, hasn't taken his chances. 

Sargent while frustrating and obviously a little clumsy on the ball is currently taking his chance and playing like a man possessed, even getting their player sent off too. 

So again, 24 will be picked over 22 Friday night for me. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Like 1

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

I mean, we'd have looked a lot better tonight regardless of whether it was him or Sargent just by having Sinani in for Rashica and Gibbs in for McLean in the centre.

Gibbs looks really good, should keep his place, all action and no pointing.

Sorta agree, but let's face it, Pukki's not scoring that first goal. Sargent's first touch might always be a lottery and he might not always get away from defenders when a ball's looped over the top for him to chase, but he's always going to look better if we're throwing crosses in.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

He is a player who relies on through balls to run onto and who without such service should play as a #10. 

He hasnt taken his chances this season. Its good to see a team where he is not first on the team sheet. 
I am still in awe of his past here but maybe this forced change is the difficult choice that Smith did not want to take

• Like 1

You could argue that Sargents rawness makes him very unpredictable. One moment he's scoring scissorkicks vs Watford, the next he's missing open goals but he's really quite an awkward player to defend against. Pukki has become quite predictable and that's been our issue. As marmite as Sarg is, he's uniquely good to have around at this level.

Edited by Michael Starr
  • Like 1

Just now, Michael Starr said:

You could argue that Sargents rawness makes him very unpredictable. One moment he's scoring scissorkicks vs Watford, the next he's missing open goals but he's really quite an awkward player to defend against. Pukki has become quite predictable and that's been our issue.

Absolutely this 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

For those following by message board only, Lees for Hudds sent off for professional foul, hauled down Sargent who was clear through on goal.

If Lees had watched Sarge last season, he'd have let him go...

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, percy varco said:

He hasnt taken his chances this season. Its good to see a team where he is not first on the team sheet. 
I am still in awe of his past here but maybe this forced change is the difficult choice that Smith did not want to take

Still think pukki is our first choice striker but..... a week off and a rest and confidence with a win may, just may, give everyone the boost that is needed 

1 minute ago, Michael Starr said:

You could argue that Sargents rawness makes him very unpredictable. One moment he's scoring scissorkicks vs Watford, the next he's missing open goals but he's really quite an awkward player to defend against. Pukki has become quite predictable and that's been our issue. As marmite as Sarg is, he's uniquely good to have around at this level.

I'd say Sargent is like a very aggressive Stiepermann. He's big, awkward, willing, not got the most reliable of first touches, but capable of causing some absolute mayhem if allowed to rumble forward.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RugbyCanary said:

Still think pukki is our first choice striker but..... a week off and a rest and confidence with a win may, just may, give everyone the boost that is needed 

Confidence from a win he wasn't involved in? 

1 minute ago, RugbyCanary said:

How can he be based on form?

Just now, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Confidence through the playing staff is still confidence. I missed a few of our wins last season (rugby), but when I was back in the squad the confidence was infectious to me too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

He's been a little selfish and rushing chances the past few games. Actually feeling like someone else can score a goal might be a real weight off his shoulders 

• Like 1

Dowell and Cantwell should be off for me. Chuck Rashica and Hernandez on at this lot.