Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****Official Lapps Match Thread v Huddersfield (L/h) *****

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

To be serious, that game showed just how badly we need Hayden fit.

We just need him to play as well as he did against Marseille and we'll be fine 😁

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

He's playing very out of position, it isn't a great shock his positional sense doesn't match up with the role. It'd be more of a shock if he didn't make an error.

It's a shock when he doesn't make an error in his normal position. 

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I’ve missed the latest prognosis - was it that he’s due back v Sunderland?

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This place is oddly quiet when we win..

People are in 😲 shock maybe. 😉

Just back from the game. Very pleased with the result. At this point it doesn't matter how it came about, the win is vital for confidence and hopefully the team can move on from the lossing mindset and start stringing some good 90 mins together and match it with some results  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Should have made it far more comfortable for ourselves but again, we were creating at will for the first half. 

Well done McLean for covering the LB position well, Gibbs looks a talent but his positioning between the midfield and defence needs work. 

Sargent looked good as a number 9.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

We have a win at last,  but the defence needs too look at its self letting in a goal against 10 men. 

That’s a defence with, what, our fourth choice LB?

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Yeah if you're playing 10 men and you have a lead the sensible thing to do is play keep ball and make them chase you and tire themselves out which it didn't sound like we did. I do think you might be right though that Smith saw an opportunity to give them a real morale boosting hammering and it didn't pay off.

Or it could simply be, as it would seem, horses for courses as what we were doing was winning the game... sometimes it doesn't have to be complicated. 

37 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This place is oddly quiet when we win..

Busy trying to find somewhere to put all of the bed sheets they have been daubing since the Celtic game... 😉

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

He jumped into Krul in the first half and left AO stranded by backing off in the 2nd. He has played international football and is captain. He should be doing better.

I've said for a while now, the problem with our defence at the moment seems to be communication / getting used to playing with each other. Omobamidele, whilst has been in the first team squad for a season, and it is only really a season, he has not played many games due to injury. Hanley is right footed and has in the past, played RCB. It shouldn't be a huge problem to switch.

Omobamidele though, is inexperienced, I have seen his positioning been a bit poor, his ability to predict a bit raw. Don't get me wrong, he's going to be a cracking CB, but it's not the same as playing alongside an experienced centre back who knows this already. It's an additional thing for Hanley to think about, especially if he is used to Gibson stepping in and then he sweeps up the pieces and Omobamidele isn't there yet. The other factor is that they have had four LB's play so far this season. Giannoulis, McClean, Sorensen and now McLean. That's not exactly going to help settling a back four.

Do we need another CB in who preferably has experience and is mid 20's - yup. Someone around 24/25 who has enough experience but is also young enough to form a partnership with youngsters like Tomkinson and Omobamidele moving forward. Take the reins of Hanley and Gibson when the time comes. 

A win is a win. But dare I say it - Huddersfield were very poor and despite us missing out on some experienced players it looked to me it was men against boys. I expect there are others who will say we were brilliant and made them look outclassed. Nunez apart,  I will need a lot of convincing to agree with this. 

44 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Should have made it far more comfortable for ourselves but again, we were creating at will for the first half. 

Well done McLean for covering the LB position well, Gibbs looks a talent but his positioning between the midfield and defence needs work. 

Sargent looked good as a number 9.

We wouldn't get anywhere with Sargent as our main striker. Scored with a good header today but he did nothing else. His shot that led to Sinani's goal was so bad It was going out for a throw in. I don't think he'd score with his foot in a whole season of 90 minutes.

We need better cover for Pukki if we are going to progress

Edited by Mullet

I really hope people that are being very quiet read this thread and see that optimism from posters isn't overblown, unrealistic, arrogant, aggressively poked into your face/chest and doesn't require sill exaggerated gestures or statements.

Only, that's how a fair few have responded to defeats and draws since the Celtic pre season game. 

4 minutes ago, vos said:

A win is a win. But dare I say it - Huddersfield were very poor and despite us missing out on some experienced players it looked to me it was men against boys. I expect there are others who will say we were brilliant and made them look outclassed. Nunez apart,  I will need a lot of convincing to agree with this. 

No one has said anything of the like. There are 13pages on this thread and no one has said we were scintillating, playing total football, could knock Barcelona off the park etc.

Why should anyone try to convince you that it wasn't men against boys? If you want to be cautiously pessimistic that's your prerogative. Play well and win, play badly and win, play well and lose, play badly and lose... there are so many combinations in football. But the most important thing is 3pts. As is ever the case, it's always about the next result and consistency.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Where's the duck clown?

The Real Buh

🤣

Only days he hasn't posted in all of August were August 9th and 10th, and Tuesday 16th (yesterday)

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

2 minutes ago, Mullet said:

We wouldn't get anywhere with Sargent as our main striker. Scored with a good header today but he did nothing else. His shot that led to Sinani's goal was so bad It was going out for a throw in. I don't think he'd score with his foot in a whole season of 90 minutes.

I'd pick Pukki over Sargent all day long but wasn't his shot that you say was bad blocked by a defender that then fell to Sinani? On first viewing it looked like a wildly sliced, poor kick, but on replays it looks blocked by the defender?

• Like 2

A game we dominated but never really put to bed, even against 10 men. Huddersfield were probably the weakest opposition we have faced so far, and they got to the play-off final. Still we managed to concede and make it a nervy end but a win is a win.

We now need to beat Millwall and get this season really up and running. It's a poor league, we should be winning it easily.

Edited by Capt. Pants
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mullet said:

I mean, he scored 3 goals with his feet last season I believe... 

Not to mention the highlights of just the goals and nearly goals showed he did more than what you have stated by quite a lot. At least he took the shot on, didn't turn outside, back inside, outside, lay it off to the wide player, who passes it to someone on the edge of the box, to the holding midfielder, then we lose it... 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I'd pick Pukki over Sargent all day long but wasn't his shot that you say was bad blocked by a defender that then fell to Sinani? On first viewing it looked like a wildly sliced, poor kick, but on replays it looks blocked by the defender?

I asked a Sargent diehard before the game, in a clutch 90' 1v1 at 1-1, would you want Pukki or Sargent to be that man running through. Of course, their response was nonsense because its Pukki 100% forever every single time infinity+1. 

But, Josh did his chances no harm at all tonight. Looks suspiciously like lone forward was his position all along. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

A game we dominated but never really put to bed, even against 10 men. Huddersfield were probably the weakest opposition we have faced so far, and they got to the play-off final. Still we managed to concede and make it a nervy end but a win is a win.

We now need to beat Millwall and get this season really up and running. It's a poor league, we should be winning it easily.

One step at a time. They have to remember how to win, and to do that they need to start with wins like this. Now they have to take what they've done and make it consistent, for 90mins and across several fixtures.

Also worth noting the xG did suggest we should be scoring more. And I am still fairly convinced that if we keep playing the way we are and with more consistency, someone is going to be very unlucky as we dish out a spanking. Much to everyone's frustration as we always do and point out we only needed one or two goals to beat said team and could have done with goals against other teams to run draws/losses into wins... but there you have it.

2 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I asked a Sargent diehard before the game, in a clutch 90' 1v1 at 1-1, would you want Pukki or Sargent to be that man running through. Of course, their response was nonsense because its Pukki 100% forever every single time infinity+1. 

But, Josh did his chances no harm at all tonight. Looks suspiciously like lone forward was his position all along. 

I think most people would. Lets all be honest here though, if given a scenario where Pukki is out for 3 weeks and he comes back to a Sargent who has scored in three consecutive games and the team around him is working like a well oiled machine... it isn't such an easy prospect anymore. 

Would Pukki have scored that header - hand on heart? No. 

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I agree entirely. The ease with which they were able to get behind our midfield and run at our back 4 was a worry, given how generally dominant we were. Hanley also had an absolute stinker of a game, getting dragged out of position, jumping for balls that weren’t his and generally looking like he’s never played with Big Andy before.

The win was everything and we deserved it and shoukd have had more goals. Loads of positives and good performances but it was probably a worse defensive performance than any of the three previous games.

I think we definitely played better against Wigan, but didn’t get what we deserved in that game.

Re: Sargent’s ‘scuffed shot’ for the second, it was actually a decent enough shot that was blocked by a defender.

Keep your hair on guys I can’t always be online all the time

looks like we huffed and puffed and got the win against Huddersfield, who are admittedly quite poor. That’s cool. Always happy to see my team win

Dean Smith is still a loser, needs to be sacked, isn’t right for this club and if you just want this status quo of Smith as our “football guy” and Webber, a serial failure, in charge of transfers and everything, the club is just going to suffer in the long term. But 3 points is 3 points. A broken clock is right twice a day.