Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So Blackburn are top of the table yet have lowest XG

2 minutes ago, Paint Me Yellow said:

Um.....what are you all talking about?

Expected raincoats and whether or not infant children can header a football, mostly 

The extent to which this topic has got people riled up is psychologically fascinating. 

Sorry, I said topic. Now I'm thinking of Daniel again. 😢 

(The xT of a DF press conference is 4.0)

I’ve noticed a lot of posts where folks are misunderstanding what XG actually means.
Whether you like the analytic or not we all talk about its criteria within our regular footballing discourse/ vernacular: jibber-jabbar: 

“What the giggins, how’d he miss that?” 

“Get in! Can’t believe he scored that insane volley from 35 yards”. 

“Ah man, how’d the keeper let that in?”

“Wicked deflection, mate, keeper was never getting that one”. 

“He’s got a foot like a traction engine, he almost broke the net from 2 yards out, dawg”

”He never misses from there!”

Just replace these common phrases with digits and decimals. It’s all it’s means really. 

Remember! It all pertains to the quality of the chance.  It’s the probability or likelihood that a shot from the certain position will be successfully converted into a goal. 

Edited by Mr. Raumdeuter III
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mr. Raumdeuter III said:

I’ve noticed a lot of posts where folks are misunderstanding what XG actually means.
Whether you like the analytic or not we all talk about its criteria within our regular footballing discourse/ vernacular: jibber-jabbar: 

“What the giggins, how’d he miss that?” 

“Get in! Can’t believe he scored that insane volley from 35 yards”. 

“Ah man, how’d the keeper let that in?”

“Wicked deflection, mate, keeper was never getting that one”. 

“He’s got a foot like a traction engine, he almost broke the net from 2 yards out, dawg”

”He never misses from there!”

Just replace these common phrases with digits and decimals. It’s all it’s means really. 

Remember! It all pertains to the quality of the chance.  It’s the probability or likelihood that a shot from the certain position will be successfully converted into a goal. 

Thanks Geoff 👍

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mr. Raumdeuter III said:

Great post, exactly right. I think some people just go into a bit of a cold sweat at the sight of anything that looks like maths.

I'm still a bit concerned about it not changing the results of past games. Until it does that I don't think it can be called a thing...

Edited by nutty nigel

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm still a bit concerned about it not changing the results of past games. Until it does that I don't think it can be called a thing...

Ooh I don't know about that Nutty 😉...I have a version of xG called xP 

This relates very much to what I expect certain posters to post (xP). Analysed over many seasons it's fantastically accurate😄 and it rarely lets you down. Though you do get the very occasional outlier where a poster will state something really unexpected I will admit.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Evan VAR doesnt go that far..................yet

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Ooh I don't know about that Nutty 😉...I have a version of xG called xP 

This relates very much to what I expect certain posters to post (xP). Analysed over many seasons it's fantastically accurate😄 and it rarely lets you down. Though you do get the very occasional outlier where a poster will state something really unexpected I will admit.

Is there an xTS too ? (expected Thread starter!) 

Asking for a forum friend! 😉

55 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Is there an xTS too ? (expected Thread starter!) 

Asking for a forum friend! 😉

With xP there are countless sub-categories G. That's the beauty of the system. There is your standard xKS (posters who only post after we have lost and sign off "all the best"), there is xDO (a small but very dedicated group who refer to our owners as selfish lefties - often with a geographical reference - such as Suffolk), there is the xHC (posters who keep the faith no matter what goes on on the pitch).

So you could add to these ad infinitum and include xTS if you wished 🙂

Miserablists and ludicrous Idealists... We are all here😂

• Haha 2

And get spanked 3 - 0 by reading last night 😂 

Edited by daz

4 hours ago, daz said:

And get spanked 3 - 0 by reading last night 😂 

And looks like Diaz is off, that’s them done for.