Sign in to follow this  
Thingy

Hanley and Omobamidele

I think Hanley plays better on the right side of central defence but is on the left when Omobamidele plays. Which is the best left or right?

37 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I actually think he's best in the center of a 3 

When he plays for Scotland and he needs to get his head to everything and hoof balls clear when defending on edge of box - that’s not really how we end up setting up most games. 

13 hours ago, Thingy said:

I think Hanley plays better on the right side of central defence but is on the left when Omobamidele plays. Which is the best left or right?

Omobamidele clearly will benefit from all this playing time this season and has a lot of scope for improvement. However he has looked error prone.

Omo is young, he will make mistakes no different to Godfrey did but as long as he is beside someone solid he will be okay. And he won't develop without making them. He will get better as the season progresses

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Omo is young, he will make mistakes no different to Godfrey did but as long as he is beside someone solid he will be okay. And he won't develop without making them. He will get better as the season progresses

I agree. Despite Gibson being a little error prone it may prove better establishing Gibson/Hanley again and phasing him in at a later stage. I imagine this will be an unpopular opinion.

Edited by jaberry2

2 hours ago, AJ said:

Senior pro's make mistakes too. Gibson giving away 2 goals fairly recently I remember. This is not a reason to favour experience over youth.

I think Omo is more than good enough at this level and will benefit hugely from regular football

• Like 2

Considering Omo's just coming back from a serious line in back injuries, he's not quite going to be on top of his game. Godfrey had his moments of madness in his early days at centre-half too. Omo's really not a worry in this current line-up. He needs games.

13 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Considering Omo's just coming back from a serious line in back injuries, he's not quite going to be on top of his game. Godfrey had his moments of madness in his early days at centre-half too. Omo's really not a worry in this current line-up. He needs games.

Thought he looked excellent against Wigan too.

I'd probably say the Hull game was the first time I've looked at Omobamidele and thought that he struggled. Considering his age and how many games he has played for us, 20-odd I believe, I think that's a testament to how good he has been. 

Omobamidele and Hanley is fine as the first-choice partnership. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd probably say the Hull game was the first time I've looked at Omobamidele and thought that he struggled. Considering his age and how many games he has played for us, 20-odd I believe, I think that's a testament to how good he has been. 

Omobamidele and Hanley is fine as the first-choice partnership. 

Personally I don't think Hanley/Omobamidele partnership works. Think you need the left footed CB to help you build from the back and be more progressive. Just gives you much better balance.

I think we need to get Gibson back to some sort of form. He's like rusty and error prone when he's featured at back end of the season and vs Wigan.

yep, ultimately it will be Omo and Gibbo, because of the left & right balance required. Sorry Hanley, but you'd only retain your place if you sent a rocket up the **** of your fellow defenders when they **** up, but no, its just brush yourself down and stare up the pitch. I've argued with people on here before but Hanley is no captain, and as such loses his right to a place in the starting line up. Tin hat on.

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

yep, ultimately it will be Omo and Gibbo, because of the left & right balance required. Sorry Hanley, but you'd only retain your place if you sent a rocket up the **** of your fellow defenders when they **** up, but no, its just brush yourself down and stare up the pitch. I've argued with people on here before but Hanley is no captain, and as such loses his right to a place in the starting line up. Tin hat on.

So you would pick players based on their suitability to be captain? Ok.

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

i Do not know where the problem lies but the defence has not worked for a why 

is it No decent DCM to shield ? is it Hanley's pace ? Gibsons mistakes ? Aarons to short ? maybe Krul does he Organise the defence enough ? 

is it simple as the whole team is not good enough and the defence is put under to much pressure 

Something is wrong somewhere 

they never look a strong unit 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I like Hanley as a player but I do wonder what he brings as a captain. Not saying he isn’t a good one (I’ve no idea) but it’s certainly not as overtly obvious why he’s captain as it is with some other captains.

Then I look around the squad and think who else is there. There aren’t many that really display the attributes of a very good leader.

Think this was why Smith was talking up Byram’s leadership abilities end of last season.

Edited by Monty13

2 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

i Do not know where the problem lies but the defence has not worked for a why 

is it No decent DCM to shield ? is it Hanley's pace ? Gibsons mistakes ? Aarons to short ? maybe Krul does he Organise the defence enough ? 

is it simple as the whole team is not good enough and the defence is put under to much pressure 

Something is wrong somewhere 

they never look a strong unit 

Hanley is one of the fastest players in the squad.

1 hour ago, Thingy said:

Hanley is one of the fastest players in the squad.

yes sorry just read that maybe it's his turning speed as he gets caught on heels quite a bit 

6 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

As a Scotland fan, none of our central defenders are equipped to play in a two. Which is why we started doing well when we switched to a three.

Hanley (or all Scotland center backs) is a bombscare in a flat back four.

also helps we have a world class left back 😀 also the next very good left back plays at CB 

• Like 1

Gibson, who I suspect will start tonight at LB gifts opportunities to the opposition at least once per game, OMO is the future, stick with him, he will learn and get better. Both Gibson and Hanley are on a downwards trajectory and that’s why are defence ships goals ( plus lack of a DM).

There's a lot of talk about whether or not defenders need to be big anymore, I thought what Scotland did with essentially 1 traditional CB flanked by fullbacks in a 3, flanked by wing backs in a 5 was an interesting concept. 

When Omo was injured I thought it would work quite well with what we had available 

20 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

There's a lot of talk about whether or not defenders need to be big anymore, I thought what Scotland did with essentially 1 traditional CB flanked by fullbacks in a 3, flanked by wing backs in a 5 was an interesting concept. 

When Omo was injured I thought it would work quite well with what we had available 

Most of the football PL is played on the floor now so i get your point 

championship could be different 

On 16/08/2022 at 12:55, Move Klose said:

Personally I don't think Hanley/Omobamidele partnership works. Think you need the left footed CB to help you build from the back and be more progressive. Just gives you much better balance.

I think we need to get Gibson back to some sort of form. He's like rusty and error prone when he's featured at back end of the season and vs Wigan.

Unfortunately the left footed CB is Gibson

21 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

Most of the football PL is played on the floor now so i get your point 

championship could be different 

Man City of course have just bought Haaland, but they essentially played without a striker last season. Huge battering ram strikers are becoming less of a thing, so could also be where the game evolves in terms of defenders not needing to be quite such big units. Especially if they take heading out of the game due to concerns about dementia - which is quite plausible

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

So did Godfrey (and would have Kabak imo)

I was making a joke reference to all those who thought Godfrey should've played DM..