Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Remember when we last played Huddersfield at home?

Unusual circumstances but that was the best football we may have ever played under Farke. The Leeds away game in promotion season was obviously a great performance, but this was liquid football. 

• Like 1

It’s the equivalent of PNE at home in 2018/19.  A scrappy win is more than fine, hopefully it’ll settle things down and get them going.

Edited by Branston Pickle

It's pathetic as a grown man, but watching that, just made me a little sad. I fear that that team, manager and season may be the best I ever see. 

What I wouldn't give for Farke, Buendia and Skipp back (in that order).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, All the Germans said:

It's pathetic as a grown man, but watching that, just made me a little sad. I fear that that team, manager and season may be the best I ever see. 

One Good Transfer Window away from something that could of lasted 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What I'd give to have another midfielder like Skipp again, that driving run he did to win the penalty, we just never normally sign players who want to do things like that, sometimes its much better to just get on the ball, take the game by the scruff off the neck and run at teams! It's what PL level players do, they'll only pass short, backwards or sideways if they have to but first thought is always get on the ball, drive forward and make things happen, we badly miss a player like that. 

Obviously Bunedia was a cut above as well, but replacing him with similar quality is always going to be hard . Such a shame what happened to Cantwell as well, he had his best ever season then just fell completely off a cliff, even now he's trying but doesn't look like anywhere near the same player. 

8 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

It's what PL level players do, they'll only pass short, backwards or sideways if they have to but first thought is always get on the ball, drive forward and make things happen, we badly miss a player like that. 

It was a tiny little moment, but I was inordinately excited by Sara's pass and lung-bursting run into the box in the build-up to Sinani's goal against Birmingham. Not quite what you were talking about, but the desire was there...

https://youtu.be/Y7U8hbENffk?t=75

42 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

It was a tiny little moment, but I was inordinately excited by Sara's pass and lung-bursting run into the box in the build-up to Sinani's goal against Birmingham. Not quite what you were talking about, but the desire was there...

https://youtu.be/Y7U8hbENffk?t=75

Yet our Manager did not put Sinani on the next game that was terrible management 

59 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I think we all wonder. And I do wonder what effort we made to keep the two players? We understand Buendia may have wanted to leave or was promised a move but I wonder if offering him £60-70K a week might have made it different? And if Ollie could have been offered a great deal to leave Spurs?

I remember it well as had to do a zoom call for local league football at the same time. My webcam wasn't working that night as I recall. 

Best bit of the whole thing was Keoghs reaction after one of the later goals where he's clearly raging at his teammate that we were impossible to stop 

Screenshot_20220815-220158_YouTube.jpg

Edited by Mason 47
Edited for delicious photo

21 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think we all wonder. And I do wonder what effort we made to keep the two players? We understand Buendia may have wanted to leave or was promised a move but I wonder if offering him £60-70K a week might have made it different? And if Ollie could have been offered a great deal to leave Spurs?

Buendia maybe, Skipp I expect we had zero chance of getting him to leave Spurs. He's a Spurs fan and was told he was in their plans for the season. A bigger club, challenging at the top, with more money and happens to be the team he supports, we never stood a chance of getting him permanently. A loan would have been possible if he didn't look like he'd play, that was our best hope. We replaced an absolutely brilliant player with Billy "Emperors New Clothes" Gilmour.

7 minutes ago, Beetley Yellow said:

Jeez, that made me realise how much I miss Emi. And just how little creativity we have in our current squad.

Indeed; while enjoyable to watch, it's a reminder of what we've been missing since Buendia departed. 😔

1 hour ago, paddycanary said:

Indeed; while enjoyable to watch, it's a reminder of what we've been missing since Buendia departed. 😔

It certainly is, though can't really blame the club for not being able to replace him... his attributes fitted his role in the team so well, that he was a 1 in million player for us really.  How depressing 😞

3 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

One Good Transfer Window away from something that could of lasted 

This is my biggest frustration, we appear to take getting promoted for granted but both under Farke were huge achievements. I was already not convinced we're going to do it again this season, and given how we've started I'm about 90% sure we aren't going to be one of the best two in the league

2 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

It certainly is, though can't really blame the club for not being able to replace him... his attributes fitted his role in the team so well, that he was a 1 in million player for us really.  How depressing 😞

We shouldn't have needed to replace him. We should have built the team around him and promised him quality investments to match his talents rather than wasting it all on young developable talent for the future. He jumped ship knowing it would never happen here

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, AJ said:

We shouldn't have needed to replace him. We should have built the team around him and promised him quality investments to match his talents rather than wasting it all on young developable talent for the future. He jumped ship knowing it would never happen here

I know what you're saying, but investments to match his talents would cost £40-50m+ (we sold him too cheap imo, when players who are yet to achieve anything are being quoted at £40m+ these days).  So that would never have been an option, as much as I would wish it had been!

• Like 1

Still got the highlights from this match on the Sky box. Me and the missus put it on from time to time when we need cheering up.

38 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

I know what you're saying, but investments to match his talents would cost £40-50m+ (we sold him too cheap imo, when players who are yet to achieve anything are being quoted at £40m+ these days).  So that would never have been an option, as much as I would wish it had been!

Absolutely, I think we could have given it a go but think you're right in that even buying those we had the means to (£10/15M players) wouldn't have been enough. Can't blame him for going to a team that has money to spend. It will be interesting to see how he develops there as he has been far from a regular which is interesting

16 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Couldn't we have just given Emi a new £150k a week contract and bid £25m for Skipp instead of spending all that money on Rashica, Tzolis, Sargent, Lees-Melou transfers and all that money on loan fees and wages for Kabak, Normann, Williams & Gilmour 🤣

14 hours ago, paddycanary said:

Someone said in the week how Brentford would've done the same as us if they had sold there best player (Toney) when getting promoted. Well I bet they would've brought in a similar replacement. Not a completely different type of player. Still.not over the fact we replaced him with an out and out winger. 

Watching that back hurts!! But.......I do feel.....hear me out in this.......

Nunez COULD be the new buendia, dowell needs more game time in this league. Sara gets fit, Hayden screening. It's not all doom and gloom. Yes a scrappy 1-0 tonight will help, but, there is light at the end of the tunnel (or is it a train?) 🫣

• Like 1