Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

A change in narrative

6 points by the end of the week, putting us back up towards the right side of the table. Shaking the monkeys off our back in terms of converting chances and stupid individual errors. Early goals in these games will do wonders for our players (look at how the performances changes versus Wigan and Hull once we'd got those goals) and will bring the fans firmly back onside at Carrow Road. 

All of the above will bring about a change in narrative come the end of the week - IMO.

I think we have shown enough to win our previous two matches, but unforced errors at both ends of the pitch have been our undoing. Cut these out and we have a very competent championship side in there. I know we all like to mock the stats but the coaching staff will be no doubt be taking a bit of comfort from them, there is no reason to shake anything up, it is very much 'as you were' just without individual errors at the back and bloody scoring at the other end please!! 

Easy right? Of course easier said then done, but the point is that a lot of the ground work seems to be in place; we are creating chances to win matches, we are dominating possession, we are restricting our opponents chances (ahem when we don't gift them away). Surely this will all start to bear fruit very soon?

Of course as long as the errors keep on coming then we will continue to give ourselves a mountain to climb. And it remains a concern how much an opposition goal appears to (still) take the wind out of our sails - happening in all 3 of our league games so far. We can't keeping tapping out of the game for 20/25 minutes just because we let a goal in! 

This is now a very critical time for Smith as failing to win tomorrow could bring about a real change in fan-mood at Carrow Road (depending on the performance), we are at the edge of toxicity - although if this forum is a barometer then we're already past that. The feeling of the fanbase and mentality of the players is on such a knife edge; I can see a good start tomorrow night shifting momentum positively towards 2 wins, but equally a bad start seeing a total reverse in fortunes and possibly the abyss for Smith at this club. 

So we now need to bounce back and prove to the stat-scoffers that we have been unlucky results-wise and get back up amongst the play-off spots. I am counting on this not because I am convinced by Smith but because this squad is simply more than strong enough in the context of the division to be amongst the top 6 teams - it is already showing it on the balance of play so far but we are absolutely overdue showing it in our results.

Now to prepare my face palm for Friday night....

• Like 3

6 points this week doesn't change anything for me. I think that under Smith the team will play in fits and starts. We're talented enough to win games, we're talented enough to blow the odd team away but without the consistency. It's going to be the Neil Adams season all over again.

• Like 2

2 games under the lights at FCR in 4 days, I cannot wait, what a week.

This week could kick start our season. Let's see what happens and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

But even if we do win both that won't change the past results since January. Basically we're screwed. Down before the kids go back to school.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

So, we might win, we might lose. Gotcha.

Nice one!

I thought I was pretty clearly predicting we win both which will cause the start of a sea change (i.e. the title of the OP?). I do also feel that things are finely balanced to the extent that a poor start tomorrow could be spell disaster. However I ultimately feel like we will have enough to turn away from this 'edge' without going over it...

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

6 points this week doesn't change anything for me. I think that under Smith the team will play in fits and starts. We're talented enough to win games, we're talented enough to blow the odd team away but without the consistency. It's going to be the Neil Adams season all over again.

I think the fits and starts bit of the last two league games definitely links back to the impact from goals for and against - which feels like a result of our relegation hangover. Both games have started with a 'fresh' impetus and new feeling of confidence with heaps of chances created, but eventually slowed when we didn't get the rewards and then almost fully unravelled with goals the other way - the goals against versus Wigan and Hull clearly sent us into our shells for long periods after that (and Cardiff too but we arguably never came out of them for that game). The goals scored pretty much came from nowhere (particularly Hull) but visibly lifted the players and fans, and saw a notable shift in momentum.

If we can get over this mentality / hangover (a few good or lucky results should help) then I think we have the makings of a good team.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

6 points by the end of the week, putting us back up towards the right side of the table. Shaking the monkeys off our back in terms of converting chances and stupid individual errors. Early goals in these games will do wonders for our players (look at how the performances changes versus Wigan and Hull once we'd got those goals) and will bring the fans firmly back onside at Carrow Road. 

All of the above will bring about a change in narrative come the end of the week - IMO.

I think we have shown enough to win our previous two matches, but unforced errors at both ends of the pitch have been our undoing. Cut these out and we have a very competent championship side in there. I know we all like to mock the stats but the coaching staff will be no doubt be taking a bit of comfort from them, there is no reason to shake anything up, it is very much 'as you were' just without individual errors at the back and bloody scoring at the other end please!! 

Easy right? Of course easier said then done, but the point is that a lot of the ground work seems to be in place; we are creating chances to win matches, we are dominating possession, we are restricting our opponents chances (ahem when we don't gift them away). Surely this will all start to bear fruit very soon?

Of course as long as the errors keep on coming then we will continue to give ourselves a mountain to climb. And it remains a concern how much an opposition goal appears to (still) take the wind out of our sails - happening in all 3 of our league games so far. We can't keeping tapping out of the game for 20/25 minutes just because we let a goal in! 

This is now a very critical time for Smith as failing to win tomorrow could bring about a real change in fan-mood at Carrow Road (depending on the performance), we are at the edge of toxicity - although if this forum is a barometer then we're already past that. The feeling of the fanbase and mentality of the players is on such a knife edge; I can see a good start tomorrow night shifting momentum positively towards 2 wins, but equally a bad start seeing a total reverse in fortunes and possibly the abyss for Smith at this club. 

So we now need to bounce back and prove to the stat-scoffers that we have been unlucky results-wise and get back up amongst the play-off spots. I am counting on this not because I am convinced by Smith but because this squad is simply more than strong enough in the context of the division to be amongst the top 6 teams - it is already showing it on the balance of play so far but we are absolutely overdue showing it in our results.

OT (haven't seen this mentioned before) but I would like to see a big shakedown on the medical department - all these injuries year on year can't be just a coincidence or "bad luck"!

Tomorrow could be a bit like that evening Preston game where we won 2-0 but it was a huge struggle, team full of tension and anxiety in it's efforts to do well, crowd full of frustration and desire in equal measures, the opposition strong and not making it easy for us.

Wish I could go to this one and Friday's match - they promise to be huge in our season.  Go behind, or struggle in either or both of them and it is going to be tough to get the points. Really, six points needed from these two, but it ain't going to be easy.

Edited by lake district canary

54 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

If he doesn’t get 6 points I’ll be very worried as we will have essentially played 5 teams who I would of tipped to be relegation contenders at the start of the season. 

We keep reading this, but in past seasons we have sometimes been much better against the teams who believe more in their abilities and try and play football. It can be those who dig in and keep behind the ball that we struggle with. Plus Hull are second right now!

Honestly I'd just like to see us win and have something to celebrate.

The change in narrative is something else... I want to see the end of excuses and moaning. Instead I'd like the manager and players to show some spirit and come out fighting. Demonstrate what it means to play for what is actually a really decent club.

Edited by rock bus

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

But even if we do win both that won't change the past results since January. Basically we're screwed. Down before the kids go back to school.

Joking aside Nutty, how do you currently see where we are at? 

I know we haven’t seen eye to eye in the past, and not just cos I’m a lot shorter than you, but I’m interested to know genuinely

12 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

We keep reading this, but in past seasons we have sometimes been much better against the teams who believe more in their abilities and try and play football. It can be those who dig in and keep behind the ball that we struggle with. Plus Hull are second right now!

In our last promotion season our points from those who ended up in the top 6 with us were poor. We dispatched the teams lower down and were something of a flat track bully. If you beat the other 18 then what you do against the top 6 doesn't really matter. If you can't beat the other 18 but beat the top 6 you will end up mid table. 

24 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

In our last promotion season our points from those who ended up in the top 6 with us were poor. We dispatched the teams lower down and were something of a flat track bully. If you beat the other 18 then what you do against the top 6 doesn't really matter. If you can't beat the other 18 but beat the top 6 you will end up mid table. 

Thinking about it, it was in the PL in Farke’s first season that we struggled (even more) against teams at the bottom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Joking aside Nutty, how do you currently see where we are at? 

I know we haven’t seen eye to eye in the past, and not just cos I’m a lot shorter than you, but I’m interested to know genuinely

I don't know. This is like the last time we were in the division. We started poorly so the previous seasons defeats were added in a similar way. When we started to win they were forgotten about. 

Winning the league three times running surely won't happen. We've been lucky to see this success in recent years but it's very much against the norm. With no Farke this time I think it's play-offs at best. But the doom mongers could be right and we'll be down before the christmas decorations with the binners replacing us winning league one with 100 points and 100 goals.

Im just looking forward to going to the games. However I won't be fit for Tuesday.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Thinking about it, it was in the PL in Farke’s first season that we struggled (even more) against teams at the bottom.

Can you honestly see Smith turning this city team around to league leaders. really hard to imagine  

2 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Can you honestly see Smith turning this city team around to league leaders. really hard to imagine  

Yep, I can, but I am a glass half-full person in general. I agree the next couple of games are key though. The longer the sticky patch, the harder it will be to turn things round.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't know. This is like the last time we were in the division. We started poorly so the previous seasons defeats were added in a similar way. When we started to win they were forgotten about. 

Winning the league three times running surely won't happen. We've been lucky to see this success in recent years but it's very much against the norm. With no Farke this time I think it's play-offs at best. But the doom mongers could be right and we'll be down before the christmas decorations with the binners replacing us winning league one with 100 points and 100 goals.

Im just looking forward to going to the games. However I won't be fit for Tuesday.

Hope you feel better soon, in time for Friday. 

I don’t think we will go down as I said 6th at best

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Yep, I can, but I am a glass half-full person in general. I agree the next couple of games are key though. The longer the sticky patch, the harder it will be to turn things round.

There is definitely potential in the squad and lots of it, I think there is a team in there somewhere. I still have lots of doubts over Smith. His decisions are questionable at times as are his tactics. Sinani having scored in the cup and had a good game didn’t even get on the pitch against hull it’s was baffling. 

McLean, Rashica and Sargent have all had ample opportunity to prove their worth. They have failed. Time for all of them to move on, loan or sale. However, Smith sees McLean and Rashica as undroppable. So no, nothing much will change.

On 15/08/2022 at 14:12, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Pleased to report there will be no face palming tonight 😆

• Like 1

Could only watch the last few mins on Sky tonight. Just so great to turn it on and hear CR so loud, and see smiles on fans' faces. It's been a while since this stupid game has been any fun. Well done all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Pleased to report there will be no face palming tonight 😆

Not by you no, but some others maybe………

• Haha 1