TESCO

If Dean Smith were to get sacked in the coming weeks,

3 minutes ago, TheRock said:

So would I.

However, without wanting to going into too much detail, I dont think the board would give him a go in a million years.

I think for years as a team we’ve been too soft. Someone like Terry would add that steel and toughness that we lack in the centre of the pitch. Norwich is always too nice of a place to come and play for away teams these days. Cracking pitch, polite fans, most teams especially in the prem must look at it as 3 free away points every season. 

Not to mention more often than not our defending has been shambolic at times. Given the managers he’s worked under I don’t think it would turn us into Stoke but we would certainly be a more resolute defensive unit hopefully with more attacking thrust and ball retention. 

Hands up who thought Rooney would make a good manager? Yet he exceeded expectations with Derby in very difficult circumstances. Don’t see why Terry couldn’t excel as a manager. 

30 minutes ago, Haus said:

Not this. Never this.

Two questions 

1) is there a logical thought process behind not wanting him? If so expand on your rational please 

and 2) who would you rather? 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mark Robins appointed ... if not then a foreign boss few of us have ever heard of.

In all honesty though I don't see Webber even contemplating giving Smith the push before January. 

Too many unknowns about Terry as a manager,however it is unquestionable that,  like Lambert with Culverhouse Smith only had success at Villa with Terry alongside. 

We would not be an attractive proposition to most managers, given the criteria of working under Webber and our Sporting Director. having final say in all transfer dealings, plus having the misfortunate to try and make our worst purchases in history perform. 

It might the case where it's back off to Germany for a raw talent, but the club likes managers who don't make waves and we've already got one of those. 

I don't think Smith is quite near the end yet, though the next two games are fairly crucial. 

Not sure about Robins and Warne, have either ever been linked with moves to bigger clubs?

Think they might just be 'right fit' managers for those clubs, but then again I thought Lambert would manage Man U so what do I know?

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Hear me out on this I would give John Terry a go, I know he was no saint but I think he would be a good manager given the chance.

If this thoroughly unpleasant individual ever sets foot in the manager’s office at Carrow Rd that’ll be it for me

45 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Two questions 

1) is there a logical thought process behind not wanting him? If so expand on your rational please 

and 2) who would you rather? 

Character is a big part of being a manager.

Racial abuse, 

Taunting Americans and throwing things at them in the aftermath of 9/11 (just hours after)

Urinating in glasses in restaurants and bars and leaving it on tables.

Sleeping with teammates wives. 

Assaulting people in bars/clubs

Dogging in public car parks.

Attacking Journalists.

On top of this Im not sure what hes done as a manager to make it worth overlooking all of this. 

46 minutes ago, Segura said:

Not sure about Robins and Warne, have either ever been linked with moves to bigger clubs?

Think they might just be 'right fit' managers for those clubs, but then again I thought Lambert would manage Man U so what do I know?

He still might the way they are going right now haha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Hear me out on this I would give John Terry a go, I know he was no saint but I think he would be a good manager given the chance.

I'd rather we went out of business

• Like 2

Wishful thinking re sacking Smith.  We can dream.  Regarding new coach no idea but someone anyone will do for me.

The fact that Dyche's is available now could hasten Smith's departure. Remember you can't speak to another club's manager unless you have permission and I would say we'd be unlikely to get that mid-season. We then have to rely on that manager resigning.

Paul Warne is good to listen to but really not sure on his other attributes. I don't think he's any better than Smith tbh.

I'd love to see Dyche get stuck into our players though, I'm really losing patience with some of this current lot!

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The fact that Dyche's is available now could hasten Smith's departure. Remember you can't speak to another club's manager unless you have permission and I would say we'd be unlikely to get that mid-season. We then have to rely on that manager resigning.

Paul Warne is good to listen to but really not sure on his other attributes. I don't think he's any better than Smith tbh.

I'd love to see Dyche get stuck into our players though, I'm really losing patience with some of this current lot!

The reality is if you want somebody, you go and get them as McNally did with Lambert. Get a fine, who cares? 

I thought the much-heralded DOF model and the 'Norwich way' style of playing was meant to mean we could replace the head coach with somebody atuned to our playing style, without the wholesale need to change players or philosophy. I'm not sure many would have said if Daniel Farke has to go then somebody like Sean Dyche would be a natural successor.

Maybe Smith's footballing philosophy is similar to Farke's and I'm missing something. Maybe he was the wrong appointment. Maybe we bought the wrong players for our style. It all feels a little muddled and that we've lost our way at the moment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sacking? I rather think that the point is hypothetical at the moment after the relative knee jerk reaction of sacking Farke , the Board will give Smith a long rope with which to hang himself. Smith comes with a pedigree of success in similar positions and they will give him time to show that he has the skills required ( admittedly this may be too late to save this season if you are expecting a promotion push). He should be given that opportunity. But Smith is not doing himself any favours or winning over any doubters by spouting rubbish like “we are difficult to beat”. 

The thing about Dyche is he’s definitely qualified but that would our “model” - whatever that is now - well and truly in the bin. Lurching from one style of play to another, one group of players suited to one style vs another. 

18 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I thought the much-heralded DOF model and the 'Norwich way' style of playing was meant to mean we could replace the head coach with somebody atuned to our playing style, without the wholesale need to change players or philosophy. I'm not sure many would have said if Daniel Farke has to go then somebody like Sean Dyche would be a natural successor.

Maybe Smith's footballing philosophy is similar to Farke's and I'm missing something. Maybe he was the wrong appointment. Maybe we bought the wrong players for our style. It all feels a little muddled and that we've lost our way at the moment.

Didn’t see this before I posted. Spot on. What is ‘the model’. What is the role of sporting director in this model. Are they determining the style of play and recruiting the coach and manager to implement it?

3 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

Sacking? I rather think that the point is hypothetical at the moment after the relative knee jerk reaction of sacking Farke , the Board will give Smith a long rope with which to hang himself. Smith comes with a pedigree of success in similar positions and they will give him time to show that he has the skills required ( admittedly this may be too late to save this season if you are expecting a promotion push). He should be given that opportunity. But Smith is not doing himself any favours or winning over any doubters by spouting rubbish like “we are difficult to beat”. 

Fair comment. Plus sacking Smith would not look good on Webber, not that he cares what people thinks. 

However as you've said, Smith is not doing himself any favours and appears to be living in a parallel universe. 

Teams will be queuing up to play Norwich City right now. 

Just now, komakino said:

Plus sacking Smith would not look good on Webber, not that he cares what people thinks. 

He'd be happy you think that but I think he's shown incredibly thin skin over the last year or so. He'll absolutely be clinging on to Smith turning it around and will give him every chance to do so.

The model and the project finished when we replaced Farkeball with Smithball. It was great fun while it lasted but we deviated away from it too quickly, arguably before Farke was even sacked.

The prospect of US investors might be tantalising for some managers but we no longer have a USP as a football club. We have to cling on to being a 'yo-yo' club and we can't afford to let that slip.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The model and the project finished when we replaced Farkeball with Smithball. It was great fun while it lasted but we deviated away from it too quickly, arguably before Farke was even sacked.

The prospect of US investors might be tantalising for some managers but we no longer have a USP as a football club. We have to cling on to being a 'yo-yo' club and we can't afford to let that slip.

It's probably slipped already. It's hard to see us yo-yoing with Smith in charge. Upper midtable looks more or less guaranteed, even with a squad who should be pushing for automatic.

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

'The Norwich Way' is a myth as much as 'The West Ham Way' or the 'Spurs Way' etc. 

For me, there's an effective way or an ineffective one. In Farke's case, it was both. 

Although Smith is underperforming, I don't believe the squad is as good as many think. Webber's disastrous summer 21 transfers has compromised the club, mixed with players like Hanley who when you hear him speak couldn't motivate a horse to water. 

Smith needs to pick out the players with the least amount of baggage and move forward. That in itself, isn't easy. 

1 hour ago, Haus said:

Character is a big part of being a manager.

Racial abuse, 

Taunting Americans and throwing things at them in the aftermath of 9/11 (just hours after)

Urinating in glasses in restaurants and bars and leaving it on tables.

Sleeping with teammates wives. 

Assaulting people in bars/clubs

Dogging in public car parks.

Attacking Journalists.

On top of this Im not sure what hes done as a manager to make it worth overlooking all of this. 

They are fair and valid criticism I can’t argue with those. I did not know about the 9/11 one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

It’s a shame we’ve missed the boat on Carlos Corberan 

6 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I'd be happy with that, think he'd instill some grit into a side of powderpuffs. 

3 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

It’s a shame we’ve missed the boat on Carlos Corberan 

Whilst I would prefer Paul Warne as our next head coach, I wouldn't be disappointed if Carlos Corberan rocked up as our next head coach. You mentioned that we've missed the boat with regards Carlos, has he been snapped up? 

1 hour ago, Top corner said:

Whilst I would prefer Paul Warne as our next head coach, I wouldn't be disappointed if Carlos Corberan rocked up as our next head coach. You mentioned that we've missed the boat with regards Carlos, has he been snapped up? 

Yeah apparently new Olympiakos manager. 

5 hours ago, komakino said:

Although Smith is underperforming, I don't believe the squad is as good as many think. Webber's disastrous summer 21 transfers has compromised the club,

I recently thought this. I couldn’t work out who we had to be afraid of. Cantwell, Pukki, Nunez (it seems). 

Sara will drive the midfield forward. Hayden was a punt that could of gone better sooner. 

I think there’s a decent squad there but I think last summer’s expenditure just bought in further average Championship players which have done nothing to improve it. 

I’m quite excited by Nunez though and potentially Ramsey given time. 

9 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Trouble is, we're in the championship and our squad, on paper, is better than majority of other teams.  Dyche is very good at that lower league underdog survival game - but we need more refinement this season, and looking to out-skill our opposition where we are the favourite coming in to games.

I'd have Dyche over Smith, purely as he has a bit of character about him.  At this point i'm not too concerned so much with how we play, but much more concerned about us having some kind of identity. 

We're broken mentally, never seen these players so frustrated.  I can never remember a time where Pukki has looked so frustrated, getting into arguments and falling on the floor in desperation - the body language coming off those players is awful.

We saw broken at the end of Hughton's era. This is a frustrated squad, but not a broken one.