Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Lets look at the positives

So uh, yeah let's try and think happy thoughts. Nunez looks like quite a good player. Um.. Theres still a lot of season left. Hmm.. we're still above the binners even if its only by one place in the English leauges table? OK, I'm getting desperate. Pukki might be able to score sometimes in the next 40 whatever matches I guess..  I give up. Anyone got anything positive about our season so far?

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

So uh, yeah let's try and think happy thoughts. Nunez looks like quite a good player. Um.. Theres still a lot of season left. Hmm.. we're still above the binners even if its only by one place in the English leauges table? OK, I'm getting desperate. Pukki might be able to score sometimes in the next 40 whatever matches I guess..  I give up. Anyone got anything positive about our season so far?

We've scored goals in two games after going behind. That says to me there is fight in the team to turn things around when things don't go their way. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1) Núñez potentially looks very good, although I'm worried he'll soon be dragged down if we don't start performing better as a team.

2) I thought Ramsey was good, too, despite the terrible miss. He had lots of energy and gave himself two great scoring opportunities.

Worrying, though, that all the old squad look far worse than they did in our last promotion season (with the exception of Cantwell, who is a special case because of all that happened with him last year.)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

We've scored goals in two games after going behind. That says to me there is fight in the team to turn things around when things don't go their way. 

Good point. Never really did look like turning things around when we went beind under Farke.

Well except that one time against Forest.. What a match that was

A positive is Nunez seems to have settled really quickly and looks an early runner for POTS.

Cantwell looks up for it at the moment and Gibbs looks like having a great future.

The positives are that individually we look like we have much better players than the 4 sides we've faced this year. That means nothing though if we're not a coherent team. The combination of Pukki/Dowell/Rashica/Cantwell/Hernandez just isn't clicking at all, we've seen Pukki, Cantwell and Hernandez work together before under a different manager but right now everyone who plays up top for us look like strangers to each other who have never played together before

i think Gibbs is a big plus just got to get someone to start him ! 

midfield could be good and Webber has done well to find Nunez 

For me there some good young players in the squad, and I’ll enjoy seeing them develop. The down side is if we bed in these players we are likely to be in the mid table mix. Maybe that’s not such a bad thing, and we are due a season or so of consolidation. This would mean without parachute payments we would be genuinely self funding, again not necessarily a bad thing. Lots of good shoots, so no need for references in my football writer to us being. ‘ basket’ case. 

5 minutes ago, corbs said:

For me there some good young players in the squad, and I’ll enjoy seeing them develop. The down side is if we bed in these players we are likely to be in the mid table mix. Maybe that’s not such a bad thing, and we are due a season or so of consolidation. This would mean without parachute payments we would be genuinely self funding, again not necessarily a bad thing. Lots of good shoots, so no need for references in my football writer to us being. ‘ basket’ case. 

Dont forget that in Farkes first championship season with us we finished 14th, lost more matches than we won and quite a few near the end of the season were calling for Farke to be sacked..

38 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

1) Núñez potentially looks very good, although I'm worried he'll soon be dragged down if we don't start performing better as a team.

2) I thought Ramsey was good, too, despite the terrible miss. He had lots of energy and gave himself two great scoring opportunities.

Worrying, though, that all the old squad look far worse than they did in our last promotion season (with the exception of Cantwell, who is a special case because of all that happened with him last year.)

From the brief highlights Ramsey certainly looked good. A saving tackle and two goal attempts. The miss looked bad but only because he got there. You rarely see our other midfielders attacking the box like that.

• Like 3

1) Nunez obviously looks a good signing.

2) Smith seems to have judged Gibbs is good enough and he does look to have real potential. Rowe would have been involved this season were it not for injury so Smith clearly happy to integrate youth which is important.

3) Ramseys movement was very good when he came on. Could prove to be a good signing.

4) Statistically we've dominated. Not just that, our XG has been higher than our opponents in the two games we've dominated. Why is that important? One, it shows we are creating better chances than our opponents. Two, xG is the one stat that regularly, over a season, tends to match results and table positioning. If you consistently have a higher xG you end up at the right end of the table 99 times out of 100.20220814_120720.thumb.jpg.2fff807876dea24d4f740ddcdd4f619a.jpg20220814_120614.thumb.jpg.861208ca88b40f51b941dbd18576e81f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

From the brief highlights Ramsey certainly looked good. A saving tackle and two goal attempts. The miss looked bad but only because he got there. You rarely see our other midfielders attacking the box like that.

It is key if we are going to have  success midfielders need to get in the box and chip in with goals

We have the ingredients no doubt. The three game stats reflect that. Deano is not mixing those ingredients properly at the moment.

Nobody is doubting it will improve. But its up to him to do that. I'm not sure sure he is completely aware of how to do it and turn us back into the bookies favourites.

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

In which of those two games then did it turn things around other than to save a defeat in one of them ? One we drew at home to the mighty Wigan and the other we lost.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

In which of those two games then did it turn things around other than to save a defeat in one of them ? One we drew at home to the mighty Wigan and the other we lost.

Jesus Christ, we've lost two and drawn one; we all know this. What is the point of obsessing over that to the exclusion of any other discussion of anything about games that suggests that things might turn for the better?

My point is that they're not going behind and simply giving up, which is a positive, regardless of whether they actually succeed or not. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Dont forget that in Farkes first championship season with us we finished 14th, lost more matches than we won and quite a few near the end of the season were calling for Farke to be sacked..

After 5 matches of the following season our record was 1-1-3 and 4 pts, the win being a pretty stodgy one PNE.  I was one of very few who wanted Farke to stay on, we’d been far better than our record suggested.

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

After 5 matches of the following season our record was 1-1-3 and 4 pts, the win being a pretty stodgy one PNE.  I was one of very few who wanted Farke to stay on, we’d been far better than our record suggested.

Yep. 

Apparently we are top of the league based on xG. 
that will keep the stat nerds happy. 
Me, I see we are bottom of the league on what actually matters, points. 
you can put lipstick on a pig, it’s still a pig. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, percy varco said:

Apparently we are top of the league based on xG. 
that will keep the stat nerds happy. 
Me, I see we are bottom of the league on what actually matters, points. 
you can put lipstick on a pig, it’s still a pig. 

This is true. We have one point and there's nothing to suggest we'll get any more. I see this continuing where we pick up one point every three games. I see nothing in the results that suggest a different outcome. So I fully expect us to finish bottom on 15 points. If we're lucky.

But why would anyone put lipstick on a pig🐷

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good point. Never really did look like turning things around when we went beind under Farke.

Well except that one time against Forest.. What a match that was

Are you smoking crack? At Championship level, a Farke side never looked beaten, the amount of late winners and equalisers under him was insane.

"That one time against Forest.."

Deary me. That was the one time we overcame a 3 goal deficit, I give you that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Are you smoking crack? At Championship level, a Farke side never looked beaten, the amount of late winners and equalisers under him was insane.

"That one time against Forest.."

Deary me. That was the one time we overcame a 3 goal deficit, I give you that.

That really is rose coloured spectacles, you seem to completely forget his first season and the first part of his second.  But those don’t seem to count for some reason.

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

That really is rose coloured spectacles, you seem to completely forget his first season and the first part of his second.  But those don’t seem to count for some reason.

This post reeks of desperation…

This isn’t about how good Farke was, it’s about how s41t Dean Smith is.

5 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

This post reeks of desperation…

This isn’t about how good Farke was, it’s about how s41t Dean Smith is.

Really?  Why didn’t you put that against the post above that I was replying to, I wonder.

I note you’ve got sod all to say in actual response to some actual facts though, but then that’s par for the course for a one-track minded wum.  

Edited by Branston Pickle

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Really?  Why didn’t you put that against the post above that I was replying to, I wonder.

I note you’ve got sod all to say in actual response though, but then that’s par for the course for a one-track minded wum.  

If I had supported a loser like Smith and it was turning like this I’d be as mad as you.

have some standards man, your support of a guy like that is not a good thing.

he’s weak, he’s got no redeeming features as a coach or manager, he’s got no style, he can’t inspire players, he can’t attract people to the club.

Hes a nobody and I want him out of this club immediately. We need a much higher standard across the board at this club. We can’t afford people like you bringing that standard down.

• Haha 1

I don’t “support” Smith any more than I “supported” Farke, Lambert, Adams, Brown et al when at the club.  It is idiots that make it personal that are ‘bringing the standard down’, whatever that means.  But as ever it is just throwaway garbage from the resident wum.

• Like 2