kenfoggo

“No need to panic” says Dean Smith

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Lol.

I suppose it is hard to open your eyes with your head buried in the sand.

TBF, I remember going to Coventry away first game of the season when Roeder was in charge. We had Hoolahan, Lupoli, and David Bell as new signings. We looked great… really creative and dominated, but didn’t take our chances and somehow lost 2 nil. I left feeling positive about the performance though, and really excited about the new players. Was sure we’d be challenging at the top.. but no, we ended up relegated.

So perhaps your right. There you go, a concession - that’s a rare thing on here 😉

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

TBF, I remember going to Coventry away first game of the season when Roeder was in charge. We had Hoolahan, Lupoli, and David Bell as new signings. We looked great… really creative and dominated, but didn’t take our chances and somehow lost 2 nil. I left feeling positive about the performance though, and really excited about the new players. Was sure we’d be challenging at the top.. but no, we ended up relegated.

So perhaps your right. There you go, a concession - that’s a rare thing on here 😉

I would take zero pleasure in being right; unlike some posters on here, I'd rather Norwich win than me be right on an internet message board.

I'd much rather be apologising for my criticism of Smith whilst we toast another 90 point haul. But it's not happening. Smith's average Championship finishing position is about 8th, despite that being based at two teams now in the EPL, promotion chasers if you will.

He's awful unless he has a squad so much better than everyone else, then he'll manage 5th. That's our best hope with him at the helm. We deserve better, we should recruit better.

What is Smith asking us 'not to panic' about exactly?

Going down?...I'm prepared to give him that as even he should be able to avoid that (although Sunderland's back to back relegations a few years ago should serve as a warning)

Not to panic about still finishing in the top 2?....well that ship may already be close to sailing, especially if there are 2 poor results this coming week

After Cooper went into Forest last season to clear up the mess Hughton left behind , the run they went on was only good enough for playoffs

When does genuine concern about Smith’s inability to get a win out of his squad transform into panic? My own feeling is that the three games in this season CANNOT be seen in isolation from the performances of last season. We are already way passed concern and heading towards disappointment, then disapproval, then contempt and then panic. Smith has had ample opportunity to get this squad playing “his way”. Unfortunately “his way” is uninspiring to the players (obviously) and unacceptable to the supporters (naturally). One win since January is truly dire. Smith seems to be a nice chap but it is a results based industry.

1 hour ago, kenfoggo said:

When does genuine concern about Smith’s inability to get a win out of his squad transform into panic? My own feeling is that the three games in this season CANNOT be seen in isolation from the performances of last season. We are already way passed concern and heading towards disappointment, then disapproval, then contempt and then panic. Smith has had ample opportunity to get this squad playing “his way”. Unfortunately “his way” is uninspiring to the players (obviously) and unacceptable to the supporters (naturally). One win since January is truly dire. Smith seems to be a nice chap but it is a results based industry.

This true and I think the no more than ten if the results don't improve is fair to both sides.

Just accept that we will be a mid table Champs club for a year or two and you will all calm down.

We aren't Nottingham Forest or Brentford with ambition and drive... we are little old Norwich owned by a possessive old lady who likes things just the way they are thank you very much.

Do posters really think Smith coaches his players to make mistakes? Hey Gubbo I want you to passto the opposition and when they pass it into the middle I don’t want to see anyone challenge that unmarked player, Max when under pressure don’t clear the ball into touch or upfield, wack it at a teammate in our box, young Ramsey don’t you dare score a sitter that not our style.

The reasons we lose if usually down to players making stupid decisions at key moments. You can coach them all you want but that won’t stop them still doing it. Nor will investing in a much  better set of midfield talent. Our defence is always prone to the poor decision making.

5 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Do posters really think Smith coaches his players to make mistakes? Hey Gubbo I want you to passto the opposition and when they pass it into the middle I don’t want to see anyone challenge that unmarked player, Max when under pressure don’t clear the ball into touch or upfield, wack it at a teammate in our box, young Ramsey don’t you dare score a sitter that not our style.

The reasons we lose if usually down to players making stupid decisions at key moments. You can coach them all you want but that won’t stop them still doing it. Nor will investing in a much  better set of midfield talent. Our defence is always prone to the poor decision making.

However if we are better coached and more/better quality chances are created the less chance it is that every game is decided by 1 or 2 key 'unlucky' incidents going against us

39 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

However if we are better coached and more/better quality chances are created the less chance it is that every game is decided by 1 or 2 key 'unlucky' incidents going against us

Makin stupid decisions resulting in goals are NOT unlucky incidents. Nor are routinely missing clear goal scoring opportunities.

6 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

Do posters really think Smith coaches his players to make mistakes? 

No!  But he should be coaching the team to have confidence. Confident players become competent players and so do not make mistakes.

On 14/08/2022 at 14:53, kenfoggo said:

😳

On 14/08/2022 at 06:02, Unhinged Canary said:

The squad is garbage for the most part, but he's worse.

That aged well

• Thanks 1

On 14/08/2022 at 23:00, kenfoggo said:

No!  But he should be coaching the team to have confidence. Confident players become competent players and so do not make mistakes.

Looks like he read this board and took your advice, fair play to you.

On 14/08/2022 at 14:18, canarydan23 said:

I would take zero pleasure in being right; unlike some posters on here, I'd rather Norwich win than me be right on an internet message board.

I'd much rather be apologising for my criticism of Smith whilst we toast another 90 point haul. But it's not happening. Smith's average Championship finishing position is about 8th, despite that being based at two teams now in the EPL, promotion chasers if you will.

He's awful unless he has a squad so much better than everyone else, then he'll manage 5th. That's our best hope with him at the helm. We deserve better, we should recruit better.

9152765D-F48B-437E-BE78-B836055EF2B7.png

🖕 😉

I’m sitting tight until 10 games are up . Then I’ll know how to feel for the rest of the season. 

Two home wins. Well done! But really we should all have expected that. Huddersfield and Millwall in all probability will not be challenging for promotion at the end of this season, so we should have been favourites for those wins. We should have been favourites against Wigan but the team didn’t perform with any belief. Having watched the last two home games a degree of confidence seems to be building. With that comes more success. So I hope it continues into the next two away fixtures at Sunderland and Birmingham which will be a much harder task to get a result.

We all know that by the time we get to the 5th book in the trilogy the message will have changed to just 'panic'. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Petriix said:

We all know that by the time we get to the 5th book in the trilogy the message will have changed to just 'panic'. 

Is that before or after the dolphins have abandoned us?

On 19/08/2022 at 22:50, Mr Tea said:

I’m sitting tight until 10 games are up . Then I’ll know how to feel for the rest of the season. 

Big day tomorrow for Mr Tea. 😀