kenfoggo

“No need to panic” says Dean Smith

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

No, I’m just trying to remain rational. Try it. 

Supporting a loser is irrational 

• Like 1

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I like you, your pure entertainment 😆

I can’t compete with you. Supporting Dean Smith (but not actually, just kinda) is peak satire 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

We have played THREE league games ... some folk need to chill out - there are 43 games left!!!

We're playing well but have struggled against teams happy to take a draw with a stubborn low block.

Once we get a win and have Hayden available we should start motoring.

"We are playing well".. I guess that's a true comment if you exclude two important factors - scoring goals and not conceding them (especially soft ones).  Others may consider "playing well" would include those two with a pretty high weighting!

• Like 2

City supporters are quite capable of assessing a bad manager when faced with one. 

This boy just 'aint good, has achieved so very little in his time at Carrow Road and promises so very little going forward.

I'm amazed at the excuses put forward in support of this loser.

A few points from those easy first games might well have ignited some belief, but just one and rock bottom?

No, thank you.

1 hour ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

They would've been delighted with a draw - hence the way they set up and approached the game. Both were lucky to come away with three points!

Additionally - I don't think any manager on earth could've got more out of the players we had than Smith did last season ... we were easy prey regardless of who sat in the dug out.

They weren't lucky, they chose to use  tactics which have proved successful against us. 

We as usual, struggled to win against those tactics. 

That's not luck, the question we need to ask is 'Why haven't we developed a plan b ?'

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

1 win since January...... ONE!!!! 

To be honest a team without a manager just a fitness coach who were told to go out and play there own game might have done that 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

To be honest a team without a manager just a fitness coach who were told to go out and play there own game might have done that 

Tbh, I could’ve done that by getting them together in a room for an hour before each game and saying “sort it out amongst yourselves lads” 

Edited by astro

25 minutes ago, City Stand Ultra said:

"We are playing well".. I guess that's a true comment if you exclude two important factors - scoring goals and not conceding them (especially soft ones).  Others may consider "playing well" would include those two with a pretty high weighting!

I recall a similar situation previously with Farke.

Webber didn't panic because the performance / stats were good ... it was just a matter of time then and I expect that to be true this time.

A win will do us the world of good and I think we'll be buzzing along very nicely soon (fingers crossed!).

20 minutes ago, Number9 said:

They weren't lucky, they chose to use  tactics which have proved successful against us. 

We as usual, struggled to win against those tactics. 

That's not luck, the question we need to ask is 'Why haven't we developed a plan b ?'

They were lucky in the sense that we didn't convert our many chances ... when we're up to full speed we'll win games like this.

1 minute ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

They were lucky in the sense that we didn't convert our many chances ... when we're up to full speed we'll win games like this.

'when were up to speed'.........we should be up to speed now!! This ain't Sunday league. Professional players should be at peak now - in season. Not in a few weeks......

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RugbyCanary said:

'when were up to speed'.........we should be up to speed now!! This ain't Sunday league. Professional players should be at peak now - in season. Not in a few weeks......

“Just a few more weeks”

it’s actually sad now. I’m saddened by these people.

33 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I can’t compete with you. Supporting Dean Smith (but not actually, just kinda) is peak satire 

I’ve admitted I’m neutral towards Dean Smith. What I’m supporting is an air of rationality.

Yes the results are not good enough. But the performances in all three league games have been very good in spells. When players don’t play for the manager, it’s clear in the performance. Your saying that’s the case, It clearly isn’t at the minute.

There’s some subdued individual performances, sure. But that’s more to do with relegation, a bit of burnout / fatigue and subsequent lack of confidence. Wether Pukki and others can rid that, I don’t know. But any manger would struggle in that regard. The decision to go again with the core group of the last 2-3 seasons is a risky one. Perhaps this time a squad overhaul was due. 

in any case, Pukki could easily have had 5 goals already this season and things would look much different. 

4 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I’ve admitted I’m neutral towards Dean Smith. What I’m supporting is an air of rationality.

Yes the results are not good enough. But the performances in all three league games have been very good in spells. When players don’t play for the manager, it’s clear in the performance. Your saying that’s the case, It clearly isn’t at the minute.

There’s some subdued individual performances, sure. But that’s more to do with relegation, a bit of burnout / fatigue and subsequent lack of confidence. Wether Pukki and others can rid that, I don’t know. But any manger would struggle in that regard. The decision to go again with the core group of the last 2-3 seasons is a risky one. Perhaps this time a squad overhaul was due. 

in any case, Pukki could easily have had 5 goals already this season and things would look much different. 

You’ve admitted you are neutral? Lol, what a brave position.😂

Dean Smith is a loser and that bleeds into everything we do

2 hours ago, astro said:

This squad was playing in the premiership last season. Beat Watford and Brentford at their own place, Southampton and Everton here, took four points off Burnley, and narrowly lost to a Ronaldo inspired Man U twice. The squad had been strengthened rather than weakened. I’ll leave you to make your own conclusions to your question. 

Just look at the teams you've referenced, Watford and Burnley got relegated whilst Southampton, Everton and Man Utd collectively have got one point from six games so far, only Brentford have done okay.

As for strengthening the squad that's a matter of debate, City have needed a back-up for Pukki for the last two seasons and haven't bought anyone, all of the money has been spent in midfield but until they're fit and playing it's impossible to say they're an improvement.

22 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

We haven't won many games at all recently playing like this. 

17 minutes ago, RugbyCanary said:

Indeed.

The warning signs were all there in pre season. Smith had all that time/games to define a way of servicing Pukki and nailing down a plan if attack and didnt do it

We were awful in the first half at Cambridge , I went to both games in Scotland and wouldnt have scored in either if still playing now

Whilst pre season results arent important , creating a style and method into a new season are and we didnt see one

To allow us to go into and then play like that at Cardiff in the first game was reprehensible from Smith

The irony in all of this was the one pre season game where we did look good was at Marseille , where Hugill scored two headed goals from crosses, something we were crying put for yesterday in the last 15 mins and yet Smith couldnt find a place for him on a subs bench of 7

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Perhaps you are pissing against the wind, CC.

Just try to imagine what our start could have been like without this uninspiring loser in charge.

We do not actually have to put up with this non-manager in charge. He could go tomorrow. Why are you protecting him? What has he achieved to warrant your defence?

Be honest, wouldn't even you breathe a sigh of relief?

He's hopeless.

2 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

They would've been delighted with a draw - hence the way they set up and approached the game. Both were lucky to come away with three points!

Additionally - I don't think any manager on earth could've got more out of the players we had than Smith did last season ... we were easy prey regardless of who sat in the dug out.

Hilarious.

No manager on earth? 

What I don’t get is that technically we haven’t changed anything which Farke tried at the start of last season, he went from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-3 and it didn’t work with pretty much the same players in the premiership!

Smith hasn’t changed this, even dropping down a division we can’t score nor creat the game which gets the best out of a prolific championship striker, Pukki is frustrated and starting to look lost in this set up! After our initial domination we revert to a defensive mindset trying not to concede which inevitably with our leaking defence leads to going a goal behind and trying to do something which Smith is incapable of doing and chasing a game!

There’s certainly comparison to Farke start to his third championship campaign but under his tenure he motivated the players and got results out of them, Smith just hasn’t got that in his locker with us. I’m not sure he’s really that bothered being here, at the moment this reminds of the Roeder appointment and his arrogance!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I don't think it's as simple as that. It's easy to say that we dominated against Hull for long periods and created plenty of chances but were unlucky/lacked confidence/didn't take them etc. but the stats tell a slightly different story.

We had 18 shots with 12 on target for an xG of 1.41. This suggests that although we created plenty of chances they were of very low quality. If you take out Ramsey's open goal miss (xG 0.56) it makes the quality of our other chances look even worse.

It's no better at the other end. Hull had only 30% possession yet managed 13 shots for an xG of 1.25. Ignoring their two goals they got off 8 shots inside our box.

We're fragile at the back and struggle to score goals. Plus ca change etc.

4 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

Smith is right though, the season has only just started so there's plenty of time to sort things out. I still circle back to same question - is it the squad or the manager? 

That is a good question DB.

Assuming that we have assembled a squad of players whose value matches their talent, then we have one of the very best squads in the division. And we are currently bottom of it with one point and two goals.

So I am looking for what is consistently going wrong at the moment. And conversely what is what it should be.

So for what is going wrong, the first point is we have brought in four players and only one is starting. So we haven't improved on last year's squad much albeit it played in a higher division. Conversely, it should be playing better in a lower league.

In each game we have dominated the stats. So we are not only not scoring but are vulnerable to the counter attack. But I will accept we have been unlucky on occasions. Deflected goal, stitched on penalty and we might have five points at least.

Our supply to the front players is not good enough. Rashica has no final product it seems. And Pukki who thrives on the through ball is getting scraps  and of course is invariably double teamed. And we have not had a good way of breaking down a packed defence. Teams are happy that we pass the ball in front of them and we nullify Pukki's main ability.

Midfield, although coming under massive criticism are obviously dominating matches (against three anyway). But we know they are not penetrating. They vary rarely get behind the opposition midfield. So its either overpassing or slow.

And despite hiring a set piece coach, we look just like hoping Hanley will get his head to most set pieces. I haven't seen an enterprising corner or free kick yet. Yes Nunez scored a beauty but that was down to his ability and not anything different than you see attempted every game.

So to me, this is pointing toward the coaching staff. If the new players are genuinely unfit then that is that. But to drop one completely because he is not as fit as others is puzzling. Especially when there are five subs this season.

The use of subs almost seems scripted. Time to put two on and take two off. Now put another two on.etc. For instance, we are losing, need to get a goal, right put Onel on to increase the pace out wide. Why not do it from the start. Against Wigan, we powered forward until the mistake at the back and then dropped two gears let alone one. Then when it was getting desperate in 2nd half, we picked up the pace again.

Puzzling is the fairest word I can use. What is our style and tactics? What appears to be our best lineup, players availability obviously? What is our best tactic in terms of position? Some say it will be better when Hayden starts. So are we relying on one DM to change our style? And losing nearly all our fullbacks shows you can never have enough players. One ankle turn in his first match and we could lose the DM.

I sincerely hope Deano can sort out the problems which I believe he is ultimately responsible for. But at the moment it looks like more of a guess than anything positive coming out of the tactics department.

I do believe we have to win the next two matches. They are crucial already. A poor start can be overcome but we must not get bogged down in the middle of the table or worse near the bottom. Everyone then gets the jitters.

So personally I would like to go three at the back and two up front. We need somebody forward to allow Pukki to stop being double teamed or having to come back for the ball just to be involved.

Krul

AO Hanley Tompkinson

Aarons Nunez McLean Sara Cantwell

Pukki Hugill/Sargent

I must admit I am not convinced about Hugill or Sargent but that is all we have. Maybe Hugill because he can head.

Its a team to start the match at home when with a crowd that starts singing rather than moaning gets the skin tingling and we press at a high tempo all over the pitch. Its just a personal idea to try and kick start the season. It might not work against Watford or WBA but its something than at least might inspire. And Deano, tell them to play with no fear.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Indy said:

What I don’t get is that technically we haven’t changed anything which Farke tried at the start of last season, he went from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-3 and it didn’t work with pretty much the same players in the premiership!

Smith hasn’t changed this, even dropping down a division we can’t score nor creat the game which gets the best out of a prolific championship striker, Pukki is frustrated and starting to look lost in this set up! After our initial domination we revert to a defensive mindset trying not to concede which inevitably with our leaking defence leads to going a goal behind and trying to do something which Smith is incapable of doing and chasing a game!

There’s certainly comparison to Farke start to his third championship campaign but under his tenure he motivated the players and got results out of them, Smith just hasn’t got that in his locker with us. I’m not sure he’s really that bothered being here, at the moment this reminds of the Roeder appointment and his arrogance!

i think you might have hit the nail on the head 

I think we rely and try and play all to set up Pukki this has been found out and we have little other threat 

it would be a bold move for sure Pukki is a legend and has been a goal machine but maybe playing for pukki is part of the problem ? 

I Think smith is more of a problem than Pukki but just a idea 

16 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

That is a good question DB.

Assuming that we have assembled a squad of players whose value matches their talent, then we have one of the very best squads in the division. And we are currently bottom of it with one point and two goals.

So I am looking for what is consistently going wrong at the moment. And conversely what is what it should be.

So for what is going wrong, the first point is we have brought in four players and only one is starting. So we haven't improved on last year's squad much albeit it played in a higher division. Conversely, it should be playing better in a lower league.

In each game we have dominated the stats. So we are not only not scoring but are vulnerable to the counter attack. But I will accept we have been unlucky on occasions. Deflected goal, stitched on penalty and we might have five points at least.

Our supply to the front players is not good enough. Rashica has no final product it seems. And Pukki who thrives on the through ball is getting scraps  and of course is invariably double teamed. And we have not had a good way of breaking down a packed defence. Teams are happy that we pass the ball in front of them and we nullify Pukki's main ability.

Midfield, although coming under massive criticism are obviously dominating matches (against three anyway). But we know they are not penetrating. They vary rarely get behind the opposition midfield. So its either overpassing or slow.

And despite hiring a set piece coach, we look just like hoping Hanley will get his head to most set pieces. I haven't seen an enterprising corner or free kick yet. Yes Nunez scored a beauty but that was down to his ability and not anything different than you see attempted every game.

So to me, this is pointing toward the coaching staff. If the new players are genuinely unfit then that is that. But to drop one completely because he is not as fit as others is puzzling. Especially when there are five subs this season.

The use of subs almost seems scripted. Time to put two on and take two off. Now put another two on.etc. For instance, we are losing, need to get a goal, right put Onel on to increase the pace out wide. Why not do it from the start. Against Wigan, we powered forward until the mistake at the back and then dropped two gears let alone one. Then when it was getting desperate in 2nd half, we picked up the pace again.

Puzzling is the fairest word I can use. What is our style and tactics? What appears to be our best lineup, players availability obviously? What is our best tactic in terms of position? Some say it will be better when Hayden starts. So are we relying on one DM to change our style? And losing nearly all our fullbacks shows you can never have enough players. One ankle turn in his first match and we could lose the DM.

I sincerely hope Deano can sort out the problems which I believe he is ultimately responsible for. But at the moment it looks like more of a guess than anything positive coming out of the tactics department.

I do believe we have to win the next two matches. They are crucial already. A poor start can be overcome but we must not get bogged down in the middle of the table or worse near the bottom. Everyone then gets the jitters.

So personally I would like to go three at the back and two up front. We need somebody forward to allow Pukki to stop being double teamed or having to come back for the ball just to be involved.

Krul

AO Hanley Tompkinson

Aarons Nunez McLean Sara Cantwell

Pukki Hugill/Sargent

I must admit I am not convinced about Hugill or Sargent but that is all we have. Maybe Hugill because he can head.

Its a team to start the match at home when with a crowd that starts singing rather than moaning gets the skin tingling and we press at a high tempo all over the pitch. Its just a personal idea to try and kick start the season. It might not work against Watford or WBA but its something than at least might inspire. And Deano, tell them to play with no fear.

Great post KG, makes you wonder just what goes on during the week at Colney? We appear to be in a repetitive weekly spiral, the same look the same mistakes and the lack of confidence is telling! A good coach can man manage his squad to inspire them, especially after dropping down a division. Others can’t and if a club goes down like we appear to have, with fans, owners, management, coaching and players so disconnected, it can fester into a very quick second relegation! The danger signed are there and many a team have come down and then gone down again!

So I hope Webber, Delia and Dean can sit down this week and start to mend these gaps to unit the club again! We need something positive on the takeover front, Weber to apply pressure on Smith by saying this isn’t good enough and Smith to finally get a win on Tuesday!

33 minutes ago, Indy said:

Great post KG, makes you wonder just what goes on during the week at Colney? We appear to be in a repetitive weekly spiral, the same look the same mistakes and the lack of confidence is telling! A good coach can man manage his squad to inspire them, especially after dropping down a division. Others can’t and if a club goes down like we appear to have, with fans, owners, management, coaching and players so disconnected, it can fester into a very quick second relegation! The danger signed are there and many a team have come down and then gone down again!

So I hope Webber, Delia and Dean can sit down this week and start to mend these gaps to unit the club again! We need something positive on the takeover front, Weber to apply pressure on Smith by saying this isn’t good enough and Smith to finally get a win on Tuesday!

You are right about the coaches. Many on here wouldn't want Warnock, Dyche, Pulis as coaches of cultured Norwich. But the fact is, coaches like them had a method of getting the best out of their players and in turn turning them into players other clubs wanted.

I cannot see where Deano is getting the best out of our players. DF could in the Championship but could only to a point in the EPL. Lambert got the best out of a motley bunch whereas Chris Hughton couldn't with a more expensive bunch of rated players.

Coaching isn't just moving subbuteo players around in training. Its either inspiring or motivating on top of talent.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You are right about the coaches. Many on here wouldn't want Warnock, Dyche, Pulis as coaches of cultured Norwich. But the fact is, coaches like them had a method of getting the best out of their players and in turn turning them into players other clubs wanted.

I cannot see where Deano is getting the best out of our players. DF could in the Championship but could only to a point in the EPL. Lambert got the best out of a motley bunch whereas Chris Hughton couldn't with a more expensive bunch of rated players.

Coaching isn't just moving subbuteo players around in training. Its either inspiring or motivating on top of talent.

It’s hard to disagree - Smith definitely doesn’t seem to be getting the best out of the players, yet.  Circumstances definitely haven’t been on his side throughout his time here - take this season, two long-term injuries to left-backs and being able to only play 1 if his signings so far.  Hayden and Sara being out are key gaps. But you also make your own luck and he’s definitely not managed that!

The stupid thing is that I’ve been pigeon-holed as a Smith fan - whatever that is: in truth I’m a Norwich fan and want what’s best for the club.  Some are so nailed-on anti Smith that anything otherwise seems to be seen as ’pro’.  I thought he was probably the best option at the time and still hope it works out.  I have never been, and never will be, a fan of short-termism and for me changing the manager now would fit that. Most said give him 10 league games, and I think that is fair. It worked out under Farke when many wanted him gone - pretty much every season there was a fair sized contingent who wanted him gone at one point or another.

6 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

Smith is right though, the season has only just started so there's plenty of time to sort things out. I still circle back to same question - is it the squad or the manager? 

I blame the manager- he got so dry personality - must drive the players to boredom or sleep- motivation has a lame duck

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Jesus christ...heard it all now. We should accept losing to Hull City as 'Hull is a bigger city than Norwich' 

Pathetic

I think it fair point to remind ourselves of a few facts, they were in top flight, they are a big city (in football this matters over time), and I personally wasn’t aware that they had a wealthy backer. What is more ridiculous is to disrespect Hull, and expect an away win in front of a committed crowd, and a motivated team. Recently we played Birmingham City, and probably like alot of Norwich fans I tend to see brum as the type of team we should be beating. We all tend to slightly underestimate opposition teams if recent form has not been great.

I used to work with a diehard blue, from Birmingham and we used to attend matches together when blues played us, drinking in the Zulu pub afore the game. His attitude towards us was I suspect quite common. He saw us not as serious opposition, but more as an irritation to the natural order (with Blues back in the big time). This is one of reasons I love us over the years as others really do look down on us, and we need to overcome this, and engender a kind of toughness to compete. 

There might be no need to panic. But! There is a need for some excitement, some passion, some pride. We pay top dollar in this league as season ticket holders to watch the rubbish this club has been dishing up week in week out for over a year now. Time for panic is long gone. Time to stop the rot is now!

4 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Where did we finish before winning the League in 18/19 - 13th, 14th? Last seasons position means nothing, they’re a completely different outfit this season. 

I’m not clutching at straws. I’m looking at facts, in terms of performances and it’s not far off.

Your angry and irrational because Norwich don’t win every game. Stick to Football Manger 👍

Lol.

I suppose it is hard to open your eyes with your head buried in the sand.