kenfoggo

“No need to panic” says Dean Smith

23 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

We have played THREE league games ... some folk need to chill out - there are 43 games left!!!

We're playing well but gave struggled against teams happy to take a draw with a stubborn los block.

Once we get a win and have Hayden available we should start motoring.

I’m embarrassed by city fans like you 

• Confused 1

I find any hint of an apology or even the slightest excuse for our thoroughly dismal start to our latest season in the Chumps totally bizarre.

There are no positives, considering all the relevant factors.

Keep this level of performance/results up and the club will quickly become the object of ridicule once more. Didn't we have enough of that last season? Are we ready for yet another dose? 

How many more failures by this dismal manager are we prepared to excuse before the penny finally drops?

2 hours ago, Unhinged Canary said:

The squad is garbage for the most part, but he's worse.

Garbage teams don't dominate possession like that and most championship teams would be very very happy to trade their squads for ours.

That doesn't mean they are playing well and the individual errors have been ridiculous.

My concern is that Smith doesn't seem to know how to inspire ruthlessness. 

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

I find any hint of an apology or even the slightest excuse for our thoroughly dismal start to our latest season in the Chumps totally bizarre.

There are no positives, considering all the relevant factors.

Keep this level of performance/results up and the club will quickly become the object of ridicule once more. Didn't we have enough of that last season? Are we ready for yet another dose? 

How many more failures by this dismal manager are we prepared to excuse before the penny finally drops?

Some people will have him lose all the way for Christmas 

because:reasons

hes a shît manager and if you think he’s not it’s a massive judgement on you. It’s about having standards for your football team. Dean Smith has never met my expectations and standards I expect as a manager of this football team.

I'll have to agree to disagree ... with the injuries we suffered and players we recruited (and didn't!) in the windows it would've been a miracle to have survived last season.

I think lambasting Smith for his tenure across both seasons is nuts to be honest. He's gone from inheriting a poisoned chalice in the Prem (where he needed to make us harder to humiliate) to bedding in some new vital players (in a division where virtually all opponents will put up a stubborn low block and defend for their lives).

It's too easy to think that smacking the reset button will cure all evils.

You have to give Dean time to mould and evolve THIS squad for THIS campaign.

• Like 1

The thing is these opening fixtures provided Smith the opportunity to get off to a winning start.

We havent even played any of the probable better sides in this league as yet.

Could conceivably be double figures in points behind Watford at the end of this next week.

I dont 'think' we'll be in relegation trouble but the way Sunderland dropped through 2 leagues consecutively should serve as a warning.

I predicted we'll be last seasons WBA in this league under Smith by finishing around 10th/11th and thats what it will be unless we act now.

It worked for Forest last season when they replaced Hughton with Cooper.

Its become clear that last seasons relegation was so abject that we needed a manager who wasnt in any way associated with it at rhe start of this season

2 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

Smith is right though, the season has only just started so there's plenty of time to sort things out. I still circle back to same question - is it the squad or the manager? 

Or is it the whole of the Club collectively?.....

The jury is out on Smith for sure. 

However, just watch yesterday’s highlights. If you can’t see how dominant we were, then quite frankly it’s deliberate to fit your Dean Smith out agenda. 

Whilst the performances are there, you have to let it play out longer. We’ve been unlucky, and that’s not an excuse.  

I do have concerns. Mainly around the motivation of key players like Pukki and Hanley. It think there could be too much baggage now.

I’m also concerned we’ve put all our eggs in one basket to solve our CDM issue with Hayden, and he’s not going to be fit. That muscle next to Nunez is exactly what we’re missing. 

Sargent, Rashica, all concerns… but is this really Smiths fault?

I’m neutral  with Smith. I can see it from both sides TBH. But certainly my view is the same as Smiths in that it is no time to panic.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

It was 1 nil at half time, not 2.

We’re Norwich City.. so we’re  entitled to boo at HT away at Hull 3 games into a championship season for being 1 down. Come on.. that’s a bit embarrassing IMO. Hull remember,  are a bigger city than us, and have richer owners, and made some impressive signings this summer,  should that not be considered? 

The Championship is a fantastic league, where teams show little respect for anything you’ve highlighted above. 

My god, I'm literally debating with a Norwich fan that when being bottom of the Championship whilst losing JUST 1-0 at Hull I should be mindful that Hull is a bigger city and has richer owners.

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

My god, I'm literally debating with a Norwich fan that when being bottom of the Championship whilst losing JUST 1-0 at Hull I should be mindful that Hull is a bigger city and has richer owners.

It’s relevant though isn’t it. Because of those things, they’ve made some very good signings which makes them far more competitive than your giving them credit for, or Norwich for outplaying them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

A cold dispassionate view would assess the three games as two matches in which City dominated (70% possession) but threw away wins because of player errors that were not the fault of the manager. Thus the message "No need to panic" is perfectly reasonable, just as it was in the early days of similar results under Farke.

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Agreed. Fans need to concentrate on getting behind the team at this stage. The last thing we need is toxicity - the boos at halftime yesterday were disgraceful. I hate this sense of entitlement within the fanbase.

Yes there have been mistakes, and our abysmal attempt to stay in the EPL is borderline embarrassing. But what we have currently is a very good championship squad capable of winning a lot of games this season. There are positives if you look. 

This could turn round very quickly. So Smith is right, there is no need to panic. If we’re still here in 7 games time, then It’s a different story. But if the performances stay like they are, I’m sure we won’t be. 

These are good posts.

There is a reality where our fans are far more concerned about result than performance right now, but coaches at this point in the season will care more about performances under the belief results will come. 

If we continue to have the stats we have had in the past couple of league games we will win far more than we lose - every statistical analysis in football covering tens of thousands of games back this up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

It’s relevant though isn’t it. Because of those things, they’ve made some very good signings which makes them far more competitive than your giving them credit for, or Norwich for outplaying them.

They finished 19th in the Championship last season and spent less than us so far this summer.

That's relevant. What you're doing is clutching at straws. I don't blame you, you're defending the idea that Smith shouldn't be fired; clutching at straws is all you have at this stage.

People keep blaming the goals we concede on individual errors, but they ignore the tactical deficiencies that make such errors both more likely to occur and more likely to lead to goals. These tactical flaws are obvious and repeated. 

People keep excusing Smith because players like Rashica and Sargent have been poor, but they ignore how he keeps picking the same players. 

It doesn't matter how much we dominate games if we leave such gaping holes at the back. It's all very well to criticise the defenders for getting caught in possession or giving the ball away but the root cause is in the flawed midfield and the lack of positional discipline both with and without the ball.

The fundamental problem with Dean Smith is that he keeps doing exactly the same thing but expects things to miraculously turn out differently. 

• Like 1

It's not about dominance, though, is it? 

It's about ruthlessness.

A team of highly committed players, with some pedigree, sprinting onto that pitch totally convinced that they can actually win a game. Totally behind the manager, totally in tune with the cause. Confident in their superiority.

Our team does not play with the confidence needed. They are not convinced by Dean Smith, for a start ... isn't that obvious?

No! I am not discounting Hull City's squad. They were well drilled and sufficiently enough to expose our weaknesses, but they cost a fraction of our lot and were not playing in the Premier League last season.

It is clear that Dean Smith has no connection with the players. Let alone the support.

Excuse him and one day you will wake up and realise that it is too late. If he had what it takes to succeed at Carrow Road, then we would surely have seen some indication by now.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Here is a Hull fan's balanced view of the game. What a shame that he is happier to give a rational assessment of NCFC's performance while many of our own fans are desperate to use the defeat to abuse Smith:

http://boothferrytowembley.blogspot.com/2022/08/hull-city-2-norwich-city-1-tigers-top.html

Hull City 2 Norwich City 1: Tigers top the table

For the second successive home game to start this season, Hull City’s players strolled around three packed sides of the ground after a 2-1 win, sharing hugs and high-fives, applauding the fans and soaking in the sound of “I can’t help falling in love with you” wafting from the PA and those delirious supporters. 

It won’t be like this every week. Not even most weeks but with the sun shining, the lush green MKM Stadium pitch defying the rest of our brown and yellow country, over 17,000 fans creating an atmosphere we feared we wouldn’t see again for a long, long time, this was special.

City had more injury woes to deal with for the visit of Norwich – recently relegated and much fancied to win the Championship, again. Talisman Jean Michael Seri was missing after picking up an injury at Preston, weakening an already depleted squad. Shota Arveladze chose to replace him with Alfie Jones and to switch to 4-3-3 rather than replace Jones in defence. Both decisions were masterful.

City: Ingram, Coyle, Elder, Figueiredo, Greaves, Jones, Slater, Tufan (Williams), Sayyadmanesh, Estupiñán (Covil), Tetteh (Cannon).

Norwich are a good outfit. They’ve got quality everywhere and, unlike City, a bench full of players who can make a difference. They’re exceptionally well organised and know their jobs in and out of possession and they have exceptional pace and movement. They really looked the part, despite their new third kit, which looks like a Zap Ice Cream. For ten minutes, they battered City. They forced two corners in the first minute. Matt Ingram made four saves in as many minutes. After Tobias Figueiredo gave Jones a suicidal pass and Teemu Pukki robbed him in the penalty area, Ingram made a fantastic double save with his feet, deflecting the second shot wide as the corner count climbed. City struggled to get hold of the ball, couldn’t get near Pukki and had Todd Cantwell drifting all over the front line looking like the player who was on the verge of England honours and a big money move a couple of years ago. Fortunately for us, and unfortunately for Cantwell, it didn’t last.

Lewie Coyle was generally free on the right-hand side and Jacob Greaves’ diagonal cross field balls started to find him and allow a link up with Allahyar. Jones and Regan Slater found more composure and stayed on the ball in midfield, committing players and opening gaps. Slowly but surely, City pushed the visitors back and the attacks, while still dangerous, became more sporadic and Ingram’s saves easier. With City enjoying more of the ball, Ozan Tufan shone. A few weeks ago, fans feared he'd be a white elephant. His fitness levels scorned. His motives doubted. His ability questioned. That only lasted one “proper” game and he’s already showing just how good he is, even if his fitness is still a way off. They’re terrified when he gets a sight of goal and in open play, his footwork saw him spin out of one challenge only to immediately nutmeg the next and he then skipped clear on the left before Omobamidele took him out and took a yellow.

Clear cut chances were clearly missing from City’s performance but the front three were working hard, particularly Estupiñán who we’ve not seen much of so far, and Tetteh volleyed well over from a Coyle delivery while Allahyar got himself into promising positions on the right numerous times but his crossing is pretty terrible. The fussy ref was winding everyone up and peaked when he allowed Norwich to play-on with Max Aarons down injured, which they were entitled to do, only to immediately blow-up once Estupiñán stole possession and launched a counter. Do you believe in karma? I’m not sure I do, but regardless, once Aarons was attended to, City scored from the drop-ball. The ball was launched forward towards Tetteh, the returning Aarons crashed into his back but the big man continued anyway and put the ball forward towards Estupiñán. Aarons was involved again, recovering the ball only for him to proceed to smash at it at his mate and it dropped for Estupiñán to poach his first City goal [1-0].

City went into the break in front thanks to another fine save by Ingram from Pukki. The 4-3-3 had been a huge success. The front players were nowhere near as isolated as last week at Preston, the spaces wide were exploited by pushing on the full backs, Coyle particularly, Jones brilliantly anchored the midfield in front of his excellent central defenders, Figueiredo’s early pass aside, and Slater buzzed everywhere allowing Tufan to pull the strings.

Half time: Hull City 1 Norwich City 0

The second half took a while to get going. Mainly due to Mr Fussy in the middle gifting Norwich free-kicks every time someone breathed near them. They struggled to dominate like the first half though and were the first to make changes, including €9.5m USA striker Josh Sargent. With City’s bench severely depleted and the visitors throwing on players of this expense, it looked most likely that their subs would affect the game. But with Andy Cannon, who ended last season on loan to Stockport, readied to come on for The Tigers, they struck again. An exchange from a throw in saw Estupiñán free Coyle, who found Jones. His cut back was well struck by Tufan but blocked, as was a follow-up from Tetteh, which deflected for a corner. Tufan delivered the corner, it fell to Jones, was saved by Tim Krul, a follow-up was blocked on the line and poked in by Estupiñán for this second of the game [2-0]. The noise was glorious. 8,000 people watching miserable home games in the cold last season are a distant memory.

More Norwich subs followed while City slipped further back in protection of their lead. More corners were clocked up (count ended up 2-11) and well defended, particularly by Allahyar who has a real knack for it. City were defiant in open play and Ingram had almost got bored having not made a save for about 2 minutes. Then Callum Elder clumsily caught Sargent who rolled about 5 yards and they dragged the ball another 5 to create a create shooting opportunity. It was taken by Nunez who curled an absolute beauty, a reverse Andy Holt vs. S****horpe, beyond Ingram [2-1].

From there, it was back to attack vs. defence. Williams and Covil came on to partner Allahyar up front but despite the intention of fresh legs pressurising their defenders, they ended up as additional full backs in a back six half the time. They missed an absolute sitter sliding in at the back post and Greaves headed magnificently off the line. Imagine any oof the morons online questioning Greaves’s commitment this week? The kid is incredible. He’s been outstanding in every league game this season. Despite the seeming inevitability of an equaliser and having to negotiate seven (!!) minutes of stoppage time, City held on for a tremendous win and top the Championship – until Blackburn play next, anyway.

Full-time: Hull City 2 Norwich City 1

Seven points from three games, one a tricky away fixture and another against promotion favourites, is a great return for a side still clearly finding fitness and familiarity and seriously lacking in depth. Arveladze used his substitutes very well today but was fortunate that we never needed anything to change a game in which we trailed because there wasn’t anyone available to do so. But, in spite of those issues, what City have shown is incredible fight in the games, determination not to concede goals from our outstanding back line and defensive midfielders and found a way to score goals – at home anyway.

Callum Elder made this 100th start for City today and had a very solid game, though they did really get at our left side as he tired. Ingram and Jones were clear man of the match candidates but Slater was good again and Estupiñán had his moments. I love how Coyle has started the season too. He’s led brilliantly as skipper.

The games keep coming thick and fast and Burnley away on Tuesday night is about as tough as it gets for a side that’s just put in an incredible amount of graft in baking conditions. There aren’t really the fresh legs available to make the changes Arveladze would want to make after such an effort but Seri could come back into contention and Ryan Woods is said to be close to arriving from Birmingham. It’s hard to see where either fits in to the side, on merit anyway, on the back of today’s performance. Both the system, and the personnel, deserve to be seen again so the decisions for Shota to make are big ones. He’ll perhaps sacrifice an attacker for an additional midfielder to revert to 3-5-2 or 5-4-1 to try and take something at Turf Moor. Then it’s on to WBA (a) on Saturday, just in case you’d forgotten that treat!

Being top of the league is nice, but it doesn’t really matter. Taking 7 points so far is nice, but it doesn’t really matter. New signings starting to look the part is nice, but it doesn’t really matter. Having Hull City back. That matters. The people in seats. The black and amber everywhere. The queues to get in, to buy shirts, to get a beer. The kids everywhere. The girls and women everywhere. The smiles everywhere. Remember when this football lark used to be fun? You’d have to remember all the way back to about…. 5pm this afternoon.

No way Deano will resign.....He'll want severance pay and that triple padlocked hambag will remain gathering damp an' dust in the Board-room safe....

11 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

They finished 19th in the Championship last season and spent less than us so far this summer.

That's relevant. What you're doing is clutching at straws. I don't blame you, you're defending the idea that Smith shouldn't be fired; clutching at straws is all you have at this stage.

Where did we finish before winning the League in 18/19 - 13th, 14th? Last seasons position means nothing, they’re a completely different outfit this season. 

I’m not clutching at straws. I’m looking at facts, in terms of performances and it’s not far off.

Your angry and irrational because Norwich don’t win every game. Stick to Football Manger 👍

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

It's not about dominance, though, is it? 

It's about ruthlessness.

A team of highly committed players, with some pedigree, sprinting onto that pitch totally convinced that they can actually win a game. Totally behind the manager, totally in tune with the cause. Confident in their superiority.

Our team does not play with the confidence needed. They are not convinced by Dean Smith, for a start ... isn't that obvious?

No! I am not discounting Hull City's squad. They were well drilled and sufficiently enough to expose our weaknesses, but they cost a fraction of our lot and were not playing in the Premier League last season.

It is clear that Dean Smith has no connection with the players. Let alone the support.

It’s a simple question 

“would you play for him?”

how hard are you going to work for this guy?

Remember there was a game a while back where Farke was in the Center circle after a win talking to I believe Andy Omo and just taking the time to talk to him, instruct him, inspire him maybe. It’s was a boss manoeuvre. Is Dean Smith going to do that?

Hes an uninspiring mess of a manager.

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

It’s a simple question 

“would you play for him?”

how hard are you going to work for this guy?

Remember there was a game a while back where Farke was in the Center circle after a win talking to I believe Andy Omo and just taking the time to talk to him, instruct him, inspire him maybe. It’s was a boss manoeuvre. Is Dean Smith going to do that?

Hes an uninspiring mess of a manager.

Farke also fell out with players and ostracised them. 

City had more injury woes to deal with for the visit of Norwich – recently relegated and much fancied to win the Championship, again. Talisman Jean Michael Seri was missing after picking up an injury at Preston, weakening an already depleted squad. Shota Arveladze chose to replace him with Alfie Jones and to switch to 4-3-3 rather than replace Jones in defence. Both decisions were masterful.

So we lost to a team without its talisman, a depleted squad, and their manager changed formation for the game. They had a manager who adapted his strategy - we didn’t.  Smith is a loser and the players know it. 

12 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Farke also fell out with players and ostracised them. 

You sound desperate

2 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Coming from someone recalling a 20 second moment between Farke and Andy Omo to criticise the management of Dean Smith. 

Nice one pal, good work 🤣

It’s like I said elsewhere you aren’t really supporting smith. You just don’t like people who aren’t supporting him.

You should separate those feelings and have some standards for the football club you support.

Dean Smith falls way below the standards this club deserves. He’s a loser. Don’t support losers it’s just sad

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

It’s like I said elsewhere you aren’t really supporting smith. You just don’t like people who aren’t supporting him.

You should separate those feelings and have some standards for the football club you support.

Dean Smith falls way below the standards this club deserves. He’s a loser. Don’t support losers it’s just sad

No, I’m just trying to remain rational. Try it. 

Panic, PANIC?....It's time to Picnic!.....Gerrout an' enjoy the weather - but keep them disposable barbecues at home.....