Sign in to follow this  
Creedence Clearwater Couto

Thoughts from the game.

Just back from the game.. exiled North Lincs Canary.

Disappointing result, obviously. Looks to me like we are still trying to play the same way we did under Farke,  with the aim of feeding Pukki. Problem is, we lack the right players. I actually think the issue is ‘quarter back’ player who sits deep rather than a number 10. It’s too slow between the lines. Dowell and Cantwell probably have enough with that player behind. It doesn’t look like Nunez is that player, and it certainly isn’t McLean. It’s a Vrancic type, one Skipp carried out superbly as well. 

Anyway, Big Andy O. First time up close watching him. Don’t get the hype, looked slow and uncomfortable on the ball. Hanley’s distribution better. Possibly just a bit of rust after injury. 

Hull barely threatened, but got into us and fired the crowd up. Still, this should have been a routine win. We started well and should’ve got a goal up. In that heat, you really didn’t want to be chasing the game. Absolute comical goal for Hull.  

IMO, there looks to be enough there for a playoff push and we need to stay calm. Nunez is a right player. Tenacious and progressive, and will only get better. And what a goal. I want to see more of Gibbs, looks very good… and much less or Rashica - terrible. Ramsey showed some good touches and positional awareness.. encouraging. Sargent, bar winning the free kick for the goal, showed little. 

I said in the match thread, I’m scratching my head as to how we lost again. But equally, there were a couple of awful periods.

I thought Smith made good use of subs which got us on top for the final 20 and really should’ve earn’t a point. But it didn’t, and perhaps actually his team selection to start with should’ve been better, and probably included Gibbs.  

Smith has to find the key to unlock this squad and quick. I feel the (assumed) joint decision with Webber to build around the key players of the last 2-3 years could prove to be his undoing. 

This is a proper relegation hangover. Too many players with baggage who don’t look up for it. Pukki is a huge worry in that regard.. the body language from him, Hanley and Aarons after Hulls second was telling. 

To finish on a positive,  Nunez looks to be the next player we’ll be lucky to witness in a Norwich shirt. A joy to watch and MOM.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for the report

Encouraging about Nunez anyway.

Hopefully with Sara and Hayden we'll end up with quite a different looking midfield

Hopefully Sara and Hayden will do that solid job. Gibbs and Ramsey made a hell of a difference linking up with Nunez. We suddenly looked a team and finding all kinds of space. Some sublime moves that give me hope that with a solid base in midfield we will be tasty.  Just keep Kenny out of midfield from now on. 

• Like 1

So you are saying, on this thread, that Smith is picking the wrong players. And that is his main job.

Edited by keelansgrandad

49 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Disappointing result, obviously. Looks to me like we are still trying to play the same way we did under Farke,  with the aim of feeding Pukki. Problem is, we lack the right players. I actually think the issue is ‘quarter back’ player who sits deep rather than a number 10. It’s too slow between the lines. Dowell and Cantwell probably have enough with that player behind. It doesn’t look like Nunez is that player, and it certainly isn’t McLean. It’s a Vrancic type, one Skipp carried out superbly as well. 

Anyway, Big Andy O. First time up close watching him. Don’t get the hype, looked slow and uncomfortable on the ball. Hanley’s distribution better. Possibly just a bit of rust after injury. 

Hull barely threatened, but got into us and fired the crowd up. Still, this should have been a routine win. We started well and should’ve got a goal up. In that heat, you really didn’t want to be chasing the game. Absolute comical goal for Hull.  

IMO, there looks to be enough there for a playoff push and we need to stay calm. Nunez is a right player. Tenacious and progressive, and will only get better. And what a goal. I want to see more of Gibbs, looks very good… and much less or Rashica - terrible. Ramsey showed some good touches and positional awareness.. encouraging. Sargent, bar winning the free kick for the goal, showed little. 

I said in the match thread, I’m scratching my head as to how we lost again. But equally, there were a couple of awful periods.

I thought Smith made good use of subs which got us on top for the final 20 and really should’ve earn’t a point. But it didn’t, and perhaps actually his team selection to start with should’ve been better, and probably included Gibbs.  

Smith has to find the key to unlock this squad and quick. I feel the (assumed) joint decision with Webber to build around the key players of the last 2-3 years could prove to be his undoing. 

This is a proper relegation hangover. Too many players with baggage who don’t look up for it. Pukki is a huge worry in that regard.. the body language from him, Hanley and Aarons after Hulls second was telling. 

To finish on a positive,  Nunez looks to be the next player we’ll be lucky to witness in a Norwich shirt. A joy to watch and MOM.

Out of reactions but thanks for this. Very good, clear-headed and interesting report. Cheers.

It was obvious from the lineup that we'd be vulnerable. The midfield balance has been off since last summer, but playing without a genuine defensive midfielder is bonkers. We've been crying out for a proper pairing in central midfield but we're seeing a collection of individuals rather than a unit.

This 4-3-3, with these players and manager, is flawed. 

I'm genuinely of the opinion that the more games Rashica plays, the lower our final league position will be. If he's not sold by the end of the window then it would actually be better if he got injured.

Gibbs next to McLean or Sara with Nunez at 10, Cantwell left and Sinani right in a 4-2-3-1 is our best hope. But there's zero chance of seeing it anytime soon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Petriix said:

It was obvious from the lineup that we'd be vulnerable. The midfield balance has been off since last summer, but playing without a genuine defensive midfielder is bonkers. We've been crying out for a proper pairing in central midfield but we're seeing a collection of individuals rather than a unit.

I'm genuinely of the opinion that the more games Rashica plays, the lower our final league position will be. If he's not sold by the end of the window then it would actually be better if he got injured.

Gibbs next to McLean or Sara with Nunez at 10, Cantwell left and Sinani right in a 4-2-3-1 is our best hope. But there's zero chance of seeing it anytime soon.

I agree with that line up and with Hayden replacing McLean SHOULD be very good! Not convinced smith has the sense to see use it though!

Good report … seems similar to Cardiff ( still don’t know how we lost)

all hope is that Hayden is the missing glue 

Why are we still playing Milot ? Is it to get someone to take him off our hands and if we drop him no one will take him ? However I can’t see many takers playing the way he is currently …

8 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I don’t think Nunez is a 10 from what I saw. You want him deeper, next to a Hayden or Sara if they’re the answer to a defensive midfielder. I think Gibbs showed glimpses of a player that could play  higher up, but still better suited to a deeper role. Dowel looked good at times today, but like Cantwell, needs to be a link player rather than the creative fulcrum, like Buendia was. 

We barely created anything down the left today, until Hernandez came on. Who as a super sub is an asset. But no more. Losing Dimi and Mcallum is a big problem IMO, and one the squad can’t cope with. Sorenson was badly exposed at times, and offered little. 

Time and time again we get into a decent position in the final 3rd and do 1 of 4 things

1. Play a poor pass out wide 

2. Find some space outside 18 yard box and try and pick out a team mate swamped by the opposition in the box. (Passing a ball into a crowd of bodies isn't going to work)

3.  Find space inside the box and not shoot but try to neatly pick out the next man and the next man until the eventually the chance is gone.

4. Pass it backwards because nobody is showing. 

• Like 1

Just back too and what a frustrating game. The stats speak for themselves. Except for the most important one, the result  We were the better team for long periods of the match. Anyway some takeaway points from me:

The good

* Nunez offers our best outlet for creativity and was always showing for the ball. His free kick was fantastic and my son and I 'knew' he would score the second Sarge was tripped 

* Gibbs and Ramsey looked sharp in their limited time on the pitch. The latter couldn't quite get on the end of a whipped cross from Max. Cantwell and Dowell were average and we looked better when they were subbed. Yet, at that time we were desperately trying to save the game.

* I thought Omibamidele did ok unlike the OP. He did get a yellow for a late tackle. Yet he could do nothing as Max smashed the ball against his stomach for the keystone cops moment just before HT leading to an undeserved Hull lead

The negative

* Teemu as before fed on scraps but also just didn't look his old self. Worrying 

* Now, this isn't an attack on Smith and Shakespeare - like many others here have already weighed in...but I do have to ask:

1. Why leave Lungi as a makeshift LB so exposed and not have someone on his wing to help him or offer him an outlet? Rashica was on the right wing. Shakespeare has been an England coach but really??? It was poor not offering him support. This situation meant our attacking ambition was just absent for a good part of the whole match until Jacob got injured. Jacob ISN'T a LB and we haven't found a solution. It was so different when Onel came on. I know he sometimes doesn't know himself what he will do with the ball but he was a badly needed outlet in the left wing. Sorensen needed him earlier though.

2. Hanley had too much possession but like the fact that he is the absolute  king of headers into the crowd from corners (something he has always excelled at) he looks so unsure what to do with the ball when he gets it (a lot). Why oh why then wait til the 70th minute to actually have Nunez and Gibbs collect the ball from him and do the carrying and distribution work?! Again, I'm just a man in the crowd but why hasn't the boss changed this sooner - everyone could see the problem. Not good from the manager.

* The LB curse continues. Injuries now to 3 players. Smith needs a solution. Maybe Kenny is a temporary answer?. He did okay today.

* Rashica? I was worried even before the match started looking at his pre match shooting practice. No end product from this player...and the build up was very average. Just not cut it (yet?) in our colours.

* Lastly, Hull were the champions of time wasting. How did the ref not book the keeper I don't know! Such sh1thousery from him. 7 minutes of added time but really a booking would have stopped him doing it much earlier. 

Oh well...pressure is on now. I'm still hopeful for our season. But I'm starting to wonder about tactical set up and strategy. Smith is on borrowed time for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I enjoyed reading that, thanks  👍

6 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

For me this funk gets resolved when both Idah and Hayden are fit and playing -Teemu needs a target man to run off of, and the defence a better screen than Kenny or Lungi. Gibbs has done well, could he start?

Quickly losing goodwill towards Milot, Hernandez can be a good impact player but can't see him start. Sargent, ditto.

Midfield would then be Hayden as sitting DCM, Sara and Nunez, then Idah, Pukki and Cantwell/Sinani. 

Edited by mrD66M
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Just back too and what a frustrating game. The stats speak for themselves. Except for the most important one, the result  We were the better team for long periods of the match. Anyway some takeaway points from me:

The good

* Nunez offers our best outlet for creativity and was always showing for the ball. His free kick was fantastic and my son and I 'knew' he would score the second Sarge was tripped 

* Gibbs and Ramsey looked sharp in their limited time on the pitch. The latter couldn't quite get on the end of a whipped cross from Max. Cantwell and Dowell were average and we looked better when they were subbed. Yet, at that time we were desperately trying to save the game.

* I thought Omibamidele did ok unlike the OP. He did get a yellow for a late tackle. Yet he could do nothing as Max smashed the ball against his stomach for the keystone cops moment just before HT leading to an undeserved Hull lead

The negative

* Teemu as before fed on scraps but also just didn't look his old self. Worrying 

* Now, this isn't an attack on Smith and Shakespeare - like many others here have already weighed in...but I do have to ask:

1. Why leave Lungi as a makeshift LB so exposed and not have someone on his wing to help him or offer him an outlet? Rashica was on the right wing. Shakespeare has been an England coach but really??? It was poor not offering him support. This situation meant our attacking ambition was just absent for a good part of the whole match until Jacob got injured. Jacob ISN'T a LB and we haven't found a solution. It was so different when Onel came on. I know he sometimes doesn't know himself what he will do with the ball but he was a badly needed outlet in the left wing. Sorensen needed him earlier though.

2. Hanley had too much possession but like the fact that he is the absolute  king of headers into the crowd from corners (something he has always excelled at) he looks so unsure what to do with the ball when he gets it (a lot). Why oh why then wait til the 70th minute to actually have Nunez and Gibbs collect the ball from him and do the carrying and distribution work?! Again, I'm just a man in the crowd but why hasn't the boss changed this sooner - everyone could see the problem. Not good from the manager.

* The LB curse continues. Injuries now to 3 players. Smith needs a solution. Maybe Kenny is a temporary answer?. He did okay today.

* Rashica? I was worried even before the match started looking at his pre match shooting practice. No end product from this player...and the build up was very average. Just not cut it (yet?) in our colours.

* Lastly, Hull were the champions of time wasting. How did the ref not book the keeper I don't know! Such sh1thousery from him. 7 minutes of added time but really a booking would have stopped him doing it much earlier. 

Oh well...pressure is on now. I'm still hopeful for our season. But I'm starting to wonder about tactical set up and strategy. Smith is on borrowed time for me.

What sort of reception did Smith and the players get at the finish ?

2 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

What sort of reception did Smith and the players get at the finish ?

A lot of resigned faces around me. A few unhappy at his delayed subs to sort out the structural problems we could see. Anger with some periods of play too. 

But ...away crowds I think are far more positive somehow. At 2-1 down we tried to lift the players to get over the line. Just not to be. As above I've indicated my frustrations with Smith in setting us up as there were two areas not sorted until much later in the match.

Our first 20 minutes we were so dominant and on another day we would have scored two and Smith would have added some much needed trust in him. Luck is a factor in football and we are not getting a lot at the minute.

If we continue to lose though I'm very sure calls will be made for him to go and it will come quickly. We haven't got over Daniel Farke either despite our need to.

16 minutes ago, mrD66M said:

For me this funk gets resolved when both Idah and Hayden are fit and playing -Teemu needs a target man to run off of, and the defence a better screen than Kenny or Lungi. Gibbs has done well, could he start?

Quickly losing goodwill towards Milot, Hernandez can be a good impact player but can't see him start. Sargent, ditto.

Midfield would then be Hayden as sitting DCM, Sara and Nunez, then Idah, Pukki and Cantwell.

I'd actually say the target man solves most of the problems, simply as the ability to hold it up properly deep in opposition territory is what enables the rest of the team to push up behind and remain a compact unit whilst still in possession. The ball's not sticking right up top, so we've got larger gaps between players than is expedient, or we're just a bit.... hurried.

7 minutes ago, sonyc said:

But ...away crowds I think are far more positive somehow. At 2-1 down we tried to lift the players to get over the line. Just not to be. As above I've indicated my frustrations with Smith in setting us up as there were two areas not sorted until much later in the match.

Yep, the home crowd was on the point of turning on Tuesday night after we threw away the 2 goal lead, even though it was a cup crowd with lots of kids, players were BOO'd off at half time in the Wigan game, Smith has no credit with the crowd, Farke had done so much good for us he had loads of residual support even if we were on a bad run, you have to earn that but Smith really has done nothing to build credit.

• Like 1

Thanks for the report. Mostly backs up what I watched which is reassuring.

We were so comfortably on top that first half but then conceded a comical goal and it was clear how low confidence is because we came out the second half incredibly poorly. We got back into it and went back to looking the better side again.

Statistically, all data over 10s of thousands of games suggest if we continue playing as we are we will get the results, but I understand that's not easy for people to swallow right now.

Two big evening home games. Win them both and we can get back on track. 

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

Stick him in at LB next game. He'll be crocked before you know it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Now back to family near York after watching the game and I endorse pretty much all you say. I was in Row C which being so low gives a terrible view so it's difficult to give a really objective view of the performance.

That said a few key things were apparent:-

Sinani should 100% have started after midweek.and hype from Smith.

We had stacks of possession yet so much went sideways and we lacked any penetration until Hernandez stretched their defence and Nunez started flicking balls over the top.

Rashica is unsuited to English football as he simply can' t hack the physicality. He needs to be taken out ASAP.

Leaving Hugill out of the squad was insane. Just like the last 15 mins v Wiigan, he should have been put on and we might just have scrambled something from the crosses

A left.back on loan is a top priority now we have no-one left! Brandon Williams knows the club and would give the physical edge we sadly lack.

What was most worrying was the early second half spell when Hull stated to outrun and outmuscle us. That quickly revved up the locals who really got behind their team. Nunez and the substitutions got us back in the game but it was too late. To be fair, though  given any kind of 'run of the ball', AR would have scored at least one and got us a point. 

13 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Now back to family near York after watching the game and I endorse pretty much all you say. I was in Row C which being so low gives a terrible view so it's difficult to give a really objective view of the performance.

That said a few key things were apparent:-

Sinani should 100% have started after midweek.and hype from Smith.

We had stacks of possession yet so much went sideways and we lacked any penetration until Hernandez stretched their defence and Nunez started flicking balls over the top.

Rashica is unsuited to English football as he simply can' t hack the physicality. He needs to be taken out ASAP.

Leaving Hugill out of the squad was insane. Just like the last 15 mins v Wiigan, he should have been put on and we might just have scrambled something from the crosses

A left.back on loan is a top priority now we have no-one left! Brandon Williams knows the club and would give the physical edge we sadly lack.

What was most worrying was the early second half spell when Hull stated to outrun and outmuscle us. That quickly revved up the locals who really got behind their team. Nunez and the substitutions got us back in the game but it was too late. To be fair, though  given any kind of 'run of the ball', AR would have scored at least one and got us a point. 

Yeah agree, it was all very Farke like without the crucial final ball. I kept expecting a through ball, or something special that you couldn’t see, then bang Pukki on goal.. but it just didn’t happen. 

A lot came down the right second half, but Max doesn’t beat his man enough and drill it into the box. When he did, Ramsey should’ve scored. He should do that more rather than cut inside all the time, which he did far too much today. 

Sometimes we just need to be more direct and make a bit of space for some creativity by forcing the opposition into last ditch tackles, blocks, and losing shape. That seems to be our undoing in defence anyway!

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

17 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Yeah agree, it was all very Farke like without the crucial final ball. I kept expecting a through ball, or something special that you couldn’t see, then bang Pukki on goal.. but it just didn’t happen. 

A lot came down the right second half, but Max doesn’t beat his man enough and drill it into the box. When he did, Ramsey should’ve scored. He should do that more rather than cut inside all the time, which he did far too much today. 

Sometimes we just need to be more direct and make a bit of space for some creativity by forcing the opposition into last ditch tackles, blocks, and losing shape. That seems to be our undoing in defence anyway!

No recognisable style of play, at the very least I would have expected Smith to elucidate
his own vision and seek to get buy in from the players. Either the vision isn’t there or the players have rejected it, I doubt it’s the latter.