rock bus

Dean Smith just isn’t right for our club

The reality is that some managers are charismatic and others show their personalities and character  on the pitch. Smith is a straight bat “minimum is best “ type of dull media person. 
What we are starting to see on the pitch however is an emerging style that comes from coaching and good management.

Sargent is the prime example. His movement around the pitch and timing his runs has greatly improved. His ability to put in a extra half a yard stride before scoring in the last games comes from confidence. Who gave him that confidence? The coaching staff.? He gone from bambi on ice at times in first season to a Harry Kane clone because the last two goals are exactly the type of goal HK would have scored. 

Well done all👏

• Like 2

On 20/08/2022 at 12:45, sonyc said:

Agree with this. I'm someone who will always think of Farke fondly. He was a big personality and more so a completely decent human being. It's a powerful thing personality! And it is very influential on who we like (and don't like). I doubt (save for someone like Mourinho) that anyone coming in after Farke would have been immediately loved anyway. 

It's not personality though that's important but results and also (I stress, for me) it's about how we play. Whether I feel entertained. I rarely was under Hughton but he could set us up at times to be hard to beat. Yet, in this latest team I'm enjoying our play. I got to the Hull match and though it was utterly frustrating to lose that match I felt we were very decent for long periods. To put all our failures in play (individual mistakes) onto Smith is unfair. To say we don't like him because he is dull is odd. But it's the way of modern life. People constantly judge. There again we have posters here who've posted that they are changing their minds. It's a sign of a very balanced person who can say that. And a sign of a happier person too.

Our play has been expansive in most matches (Cardiff the least so but we at least ought to have had a draw). Smith appears to have galvanised the squad. His subs are often refreshing. He has backed youth. He hasn't been afraid to drop some players. What's not to like really! Especially now our playing style is getting results?

Hope it all continues (and I see the Five Three Eight website now has us as above 40% for automatic promotion , just behind Watford). 

I'm increasingly coming around to the idea that Farke's dismissal may have actually been for the best for everybody concerned, even though I was dismayed by it at the time. I've every confidence that Farke would have got us up again, but I'm not sure we would have done any better in the Premier League next time. 

Someone on here commented in the last game or two that we're charging back to defensive positions much more decisively when we lose the ball, which struck me as a really good point at the time given that I've often thought one of our big weaknesses was almost looking a bit gone out when we lose possession. Given that the attacking philosophy and elegant style are there, I'm entertaining the possibility that Smith may prove to be an upgrade for us and that, should we be promoted, we can look forward to making a much better fist of it in the Premier League next time around. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I'm increasingly coming around to the idea that Farke's dismissal may have actually been for the best for everybody concerned, even though I was dismayed by it at the time. I've every confidence that Farke would have got us up again, but I'm not sure we would have done any better in the Premier League next time. 

Someone on here commented in the last game or two that we're charging back to defensive positions much more decisively when we lose the ball, which struck me as a really good point at the time given that I've often thought one of our big weaknesses was almost looking a bit gone out when we lose possession. Given that the attacking philosophy and elegant style are there, I'm entertaining the possibility that Smith may prove to be an upgrade for us and that, should we be promoted, we can look forward to making a much better fist of it in the Premier League next time around. 

If we don’t get promoted, he’s not an upgrade

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I remember when Farke got us promoted in his first championship season for us. Or did he get us to finish 15th?🤔

Farke had nowhere near a Premier League quality squad in his first season. In comparison Smith has an embarrassment of riches and we should (and still might) walk this league.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, astro said:

If we don’t get promoted, he’s not an upgrade

Just as well I included the conditional term 'should we be promoted' in my original comment then. 😏

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Farke had nowhere near a Premier League quality squad in his first season. In comparison Smith has an embarrassment of riches and we should (and still might) walk this league.

Not in left-back  or central defence he doesn't. 

On 22/08/2022 at 12:07, Robert N. LiM said:

It certainly would be hard on Dowell. Think he was involved in all four of our goals last week. But I agree it would be good to see if we can find a way of playing two up front. I love Pukki to bits but he really only scores one type of goal. Having Sargent or Idah up there with him (or just in front of him, as you suggest) just gives defences something else to think about.

The Idah Pukki pairing up front last night looked a dangerous strike force, and they seem to have a good understanding of how to play together.

I felt that was the most important thing to come out of the match and look forward to the two of them teaming up again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Yes, it may be in the long term. Of course, like many, I still miss Farke and all of what went with him, the philosophy if you like, not to mention the fact he produced in the Championship.

Personality is powerful...but if you try and concentrate on the football being played, there have been signs of something evolving.

Some posters really concentrate on the technical aspects and see patterns of play. They make interesting points on formations for example. I've noticed again that we are back to swamping opposition players higher up the pitch and very often stealing possession. There again, I tend to watch midfielders a lot as it's always been a personal interest (a bit like Clough used to say... to strikers - your job is to put the ball in their net... to defenders - your job is to stop them getting close to our goal...and to midfielders - your job is to run between the defenders and strikers very fast.....I simplify here but I've always felt that games are greatly influenced by midfield, they create and protect. It's why I used to eulogise about Skipp. We hadn't had his type for a good while).

The changes I've seen (since we were in the PL) have more and more convinced me that coaching must have been playing a role. So, whilst I'm not especially 'warming' to Smith as a person, the brilliant boss I want to see, I feel he must be given time to develop. If I could know now we would end up in the top 6 this season and then go on to 3 seasons in the PL - just as a scenario - I would take that. And why is that not achievable?

To castigate Smith because of a personal dislike feels premature in my books. Is he right for us? I don't know yet.  Who knows what might happen this season? Had we have employed say Knutsen, who struggled mid table this year I reckon he would have been given some leeway.

I suppose I tend to trust in the decisions made by Webber (again I don't lionise him him either...some aspects I dislike like his ego. But.... he has produced something for our club in his time here. Him or Jez Money? I mean come on, no comparison!).

Football goes round and round. I'm still hoping we are on a good trajectory in the current 'phase' we are in (a bit like the longer term  'yoyo' phase that is SO Norwich City).

The new ownership potential makes me optimistic, I'm loving the signings we are making too (Nunez, Sara etc). Not too much wrong in 'sonyc land'. Just want us next to cement our place in the top 4 and crack on at Xmas.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

This was a good thread. For once people managed to keep civil (mostly) and debate their views. 

I felt the club was on the slide . I still do. I felt Smith was a poor appointment , and still do. 

I’ve been watching City for many years. You get the feeling when things are going wrong , not just in terms of results. That was awful tonight . Absolutely awful. I would say Smith is on borrowed time. 

I would have loved for him to prove me wrong but sadly not.

Only thing now is that it is probably too late for this season at least. He still has to go tonight though

If you sign a manager that have lost his dream jobb right before you sign him, then you cant expect to much.

Smith is not doing great, but Weber will be happy with topp 6. 

I dont want Norwich to fire Smith. I dont trust Weber to sign a better manager. It will probably be R.Martin ore Tim Sherwood. No thanks