rock bus

Dean Smith just isn’t right for our club

Possibly the biggest issue is any manager follow Farke is going to have a hard time, for his work within the Championship plus his connection with the fans.  It’s basically our Alex Ferguson moment. 
I’m not convinced Smith is a bad manager, I just think the pecking order in where we really sit is starting to become realised - assuming we end up not relegated 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

Lose on Tuesday and he should be gone

The atmosphere will be toxic if its anything other than a win on Tuesday

10 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

Lose on Tuesday and he should be gone

Can we pretend today is Tuesday and just **** him off.

• Like 3

Just now, Danbury Yellow said:

Possibly the biggest issue is any manager follow Farke is going to have a hard time, for his work within the Championship plus his connection with the fans.  It’s basically our Alex Ferguson moment. 
I’m not convinced Smith is a bad manager, I just think the pecking order in where we really sit is starting to become realised - assuming we end up not relegated 🤦🏼‍♂️

Agree on the farke point but results last season and this suggest Smith is a very bad manager

Smith was sacked by a direct competitor- Villa were bottom 6 and in fear of relegation. 
I can’t think of many industries where that happens. 
I thought usually organisations employed people  on an upwards trajectory in their fields . I seem to recall it working with us - wherever they were working at the time . 

Still , we outplayed them in the first half apparently . That’s a comfort . 

My main issue with Smith, is he doesn’t seem to have any luck.

And my main issue with an unlucky person is luck is usually just a collection of the intangibles coming together to affect things, not some superstitious force. 

I understand all the context for where we are but the guy couldn’t buy points right now.

How we capitulated today was beyond poor, should have had the game mostly done and dusted in the first 20 mins and we walk away with nothing.

I still think there’s no way we would or should get rid of him so early into a rebuild. But this is a really big week for him, can’t deny that.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Danbury Yellow said:

Results and performances in his time here would suggest he is a bad management 

8 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Should have been the man we approached last season when we sacked Farke. I just wonder if he was the prefuoption when Webber sacked Farke but when Smith became available he was seen as the safe appointment 

Wasn't part of the reason that Knutsen had said he wouldn't leave till January? In hindsight Hodgson as caretaker to shore us up until then might have been the best move.

I wonder how tempted Knutsen would be by the Championship...

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Wasn't part of the reason that Knutsen had said he wouldn't leave till January? In hindsight Hodgson as caretaker to shore us up until then might have been the best move.

Championship is unlikely. Managing a club at the bottom of it and with  a sporting director who is only answerable to his wife…never!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Not that it means anything but he comes across exceptionally well on that Moment of Truth podcast.

I wasn’t going to mention it, but for me he comes across brilliantly whenever I’ve heard him talk, just like he did on that podcast. He doesn’t just say stuff just for the sake of talking, it’s always a well thought out comment. 

7 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I thought usually organisations employed people  on an upwards trajectory in their fields

Not sure how far you can compare football with other organisations, but has struck me that coaches who come to us having managed bigger clubs haven't done well: Hughton, Roeder, Rioch, Smith currently. Whereas our most successful recent coaches have been at the biggest club of their career thus far: Worthy, Lambert, Alex Neil and Farke. Not sure if it's just coincidence, but even a subconscious feeling of "I'm too good for this club" (pretty conscious in Roeder's case) can't be a good thing...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

There was a Norwegian poster on here who was saying that but when a PL team comes calling would he have turned it down? I think Smiths sacking at Villa made him the easy appointment. Would he be tempted by the championship, who knows but with respect it’s still a massive jump up from the Norwegian league and to a team that should really be pushing for a return to the PL

Edited by Virtual reality

He has to go.  What a dire appointment, and atrocious record.  We have no club identity, no team shape, and no affinity for this serial loser.

1 minute ago, rock bus said:

Championship is unlikely. Managing a club at the bottom of it …never!

We're obviously less tempting a prospect now, but surely none of us feel this is a 'bottom of the table' squad, or no one would be calling for Smith to go.

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Dean Smith didn’t do a lot wrong today. Made some good subs at the right time. Too much baggage with too many players.

Seriously? He was brought in to turn these misfits around and has failed miserably. Time for somebody else to sort the mess out.

3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Not sure how far you can compare football with other organisations, but has struck me that coaches who come to us having managed bigger clubs haven't done well: Hughton, Roeder, Rioch, Smith currently. Whereas our most successful recent coaches have been at the biggest club of their career thus far: Worthy, Lambert, Alex Neil and Farke. Not sure if it's just coincidence, but even a subconscious feeling of "I'm too good for this club" (pretty conscious in Roeder's case) can't be a good thing...

That’s exactly my point Robert. Roeder Rioch and now Smith (I wouldn’t include Hughton in the list) - against managers on an upward curve - Lambert , Neil , Farke , even back as far as O’Neil and Bond . 

Of course it might all come right - we simply don’t know. However I do have a feeling that the club has forgotten how to win. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Dean Smith didn’t do a lot wrong today. Made some good subs at the right time. Too much baggage with too many players.

Probably not, but he didn't do much right either, and ditto the two previous games. 

Besides, it's not just today, is it? It's really all about the days leading up to today. The tactics, the mental approach, the correct preparation of a squad in order to actually win a game of football.

Dean Smith and NCFC as a combination don't do winning.

Just now, Graham Paddons Beard said:

That’s exactly my point Robert. Roeder Rioch and now Smith (I wouldn’t include Hughton in the list) - against managers on an upward curve - Lambert , Neil , Farke , even back as far as O’Neil and Bond . 

Of course it might all come right - we simply don’t know. However I do have a feeling that the club has forgotten how to win. 

Hadn't Hughton managed Newcastle before us, or have I got that the wrong way round? I guess technically he's our most successful manager since Mike Walker...

Agree with the second part. Losing is a habit and we desperately need to break it. Keep thinking back to that game away at Rotherham in 20-21 when we were 1-0 down with about half an hour left, having already lost two of our first four. An own goal (admittedly one at the end of a brilliant move) and a 90+4 penalty won it for us. Smith and the team could desperately do with a little bit of good fortune to kick-start us.

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Was actually going to post that he doesn't seem to have much luck. The goal we conceded today, blimey

...good managers seem to also get the luck ...bad managers seldom do

That said in the first 3 league games , we've hit the bar vs Cardiff and Wigan which may have brought us 3 more pts..and today Ramsey managed to put one over the bar from a couple of yards out and had one cleared off the line which would have got us a draw.

In addition we've now had our left back go off injured on each if the last 3 games.

Sadly I can see Smith's post match interviews being him just bemoaning our luck more often than not rather than winning games this season

• Like 1

We have to give him time. It was imposible for him to do miracles last season.

On the other hand he is not impresing with the best players in the leage.

We dont have a playing stile at all

It think we will be ok and top 6. 

80 prosent off the manager in this leage will take Norwich to playoffs

Edited by Olano

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...good managers seem to also get the luck ...bad managers seldom do

That said in the first 3 league games , we've hit the bar vs Cardiff and Wigan which may have brought us 3 more pts..and today Ramsey managed to put one over the bar from a couple of yards out and had one cleared off the line which would have got us a draw.

In addition we've now had our left back go off injured on each if the last 3 games.

Sadly I can see Smith's post match interviews being him just bemoaning our luck more often than not rather than winning games this season

We shouldn’t Bo looking at drawing these games!!

Never mind fans according to Smith its all coming together and no need to panic yet, so hang in there its only going to get better😅

7 minutes ago, MooreMarriot said:

By half time the way things are going.

Bet Eriksen is wishing he'd stayed at Brentford 

Just listened to him on Radio Norfolk. If he presents the players with the drivel he's just come out with, we're in deep ****.

I can't believe Webber let him get through the door. Hope he shows him the way out again.