chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Hull (L/A) *****

4 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

True, but it would be pretty dicey to have both full backs as out of position midfielders

I think he'd have to change to 3 at the back and bring on Gibson if that happensĀ 

I think 3 at the back will be an option if we need to chase the game and bring on Sarge up top with Pukki.

Edited by Capt. Pants
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

Iā€™m not saying he should start or whatever but heā€™s literally our up front physical presence? Worth having to bring on and change the game a bit? An extra dimension in our play?

no

Dean Smith is ***Ʈng useless

Dean Smith is ****ing useless, but I'd rather have a traffic cone upfront instead of Hugil.

Would definitely offer more of a threat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Unhinged Canary said:

Dean Smith is ****ing useless, but I'd rather have a traffic cone upfront instead of Hugil.

I thought the traffic cone was Grant Hanley's head. Would explain some of his attacks on corners.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Big O said:

Funny how people see the game differently. Thought he looked as fit as Iā€™d seen him, held the ball well and worked the channels. Donā€™t think heā€™s better option than Pukki but thought he had a sound gameĀ 

Yeah, different... Sorry but he was as bad as I have seen a striker play for Norwich in the last decade. So little movement, for the first 30mins he ran a 15-20yrd trench from the centre spot to the edge of the area and offered very little. So little movement towards the channels. There was some... he was also sooo slow. Both their centre backs had the beating of him for pace, he was often caught on his haunches.

Never looked a threat really. Not sharp enough. Those around me agreed. Sargent was much, much, much better when he came on, quicker, stronger, and played the ball better.Ā 

Edit: For those wanting to misinterpret what I am saying here... I am not saying Hugill is a rubbish player, he has a decent championship level record, but for me, he looked lost on Tuesday, you want form players in your side, even on the bench. I wouldn't say his performance on Tuesday was good enough to warrant dropping Sargent from the squad altogether. Or Sinani/Hernandez as the other attacking options.Ā 

Edited by chicken

2 minutes ago, Unhinged Canary said:

Gives their defence a different thing to think about. ImĀ not saying heā€™s Grant Holt, but even if he just gets in the way and tries itā€™s got to be worth a go? A spot on the bench?

and Sinani not even starting? Smith is smoking crack.

The thing is that whatever line up/bench we employed there would be decent options not starting, being on the bench orĀ missing.

Thereā€™s decent reasons for the selections -Ā Sara only played 60mins vs Brum reserves and itĀ makes sense to ease him in;Ā Hugill is one of those whoā€™d not startedĀ in anyoneā€™s XI, is only really an option of chasing the game. Sinani and GibbsĀ lookedĀ good midweek and just miss out - surely depth is what we need?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Totally mental. No holding midfielder. We could dominate the ball and lose 3-0. Presumably Sara hasn't shown the right attitude ib training and will eventually be shipped out on loan.Ā 

Or, he was injured before he arrived, is on his way back and has a run out in a league cup game where he looked competent enough but clearly not match fit. I'm quite happy for him to have another few days in training given games are condensed in this league.

However, McLean as a defensive midfielder is a rather worrying prospect I'll definitely agree with you over.

The excuses rolling in already šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

ā€œweā€™re easing him inā€

ā€more tiiiiimeā€

Ā 

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

8 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

McLean will be holding and Sara is almost certainly being eased back in.

McLean might ostensibly be starting as a 6, but he has the positional discipline of a drunken seabird. Even alongside Skipp, McLean was a bit of a liability. On his own he's got no chance of anchoring the midfield.Ā 

• Like 1

I like the line-up accepting of course Sorensen is at LB, and Dowell and Nunez can fill Pukki's boots with through balls. The huge risk is leaving Kenny to hoover up. Just feels the wrong choice in the circumstances.

If we go home with a 5-4 win, we'll all be happy, but we're going to need a lot of luck today I fear.

23 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

ExactlyĀ 

If Rashica does not have a good game todayĀ 

i hope someone at board level asks questions about smithĀ 

Or maybe asks questions about why Webber continually buys crap?

Just now, TheBaldOne66 said:

Or maybe asks questions about why Webber continually buys crap?

Well that would leave Mrs Webber out so just the family of 2 octogenerians and their nephew to do the grilling.

• Haha 1

Other than the heat suiting the side that can best keep the ball I can honestly say I can't get any gut feeling about how this game might go other than a goal fest wouldn't be a surprise.Ā 

29 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Going to be honest I like that team from whatā€™s available, Iā€™d personally have gone more conservative and played Gibbs over Dowell.

Canā€™t accuse Smith of not giving it a go though, thatā€™s a very attacking lineup away from home.

After the game on Tuesday I would agree. I thought Gibbs and Sinani were the two standout performers from that from CM/AM.Ā 

Iā€™d have liked to have seen faith being shown in Gibbs. McLean just isnā€™t disciplined orĀ good enough at dcm.

Ā Also canā€™t see why dowell startingĀ ahead of sinani.

Ā With those 2 changes Iā€™dĀ have fancied a decent victory

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

The excuses rolling in already šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

ā€œweā€™re easing him inā€

ā€more tiiiiimeā€

Ā 

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Give it a rest you repetitive clown..

Have we got to put up with this every school holiday?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Gives their defence a different thing to think about. ImĀ not saying heā€™s Grant Holt, but even if he just gets in the way and tries itā€™s got to be worth a go? A spot on the bench?

and Sinani not even starting? Smith is smoking crack.

No. Hugill is awful. I don't rate Smith either but this is aĀ goodĀ thing he has done. Hugill anywhere near the team is bad management, because he is a rubbish footballer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

Other than the heat suiting the side that can best keep the ball I can honestly say I can't get any gut feeling about how this game might go other than a goal fest wouldn't be a surprise.Ā 

A goal fest for the opposition wouldn't surprise me. All they have to do is sit back and wait for us to leave some massive holes for them to exploit.Ā 

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

No. Hugill is awful. I don't rate Smith either but this is aĀ goodĀ thing he has done. Hugill anywhere near the team is bad management, because he is a rubbish footballer.

I don't think he's rubbish, I think he's fairly one dimensional. He's the old fashioned centre forward who just wants to get the ball, play it wide, then throw himself into the box for a cross. The issue is, top level strikers, even those in the target men mold need to be a bit more than that now.

Even Holt proved that, and that was a decade ago now.

Hugill on the bench is only really an option if we are chasing games. Sargent is decent in the air, plus he has pace and is stronger. If you want to bring someone on in that situation, pace is also a good weapon.Ā 

7 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

If we are chasing the game and need a striker we are bringing Ronald ***Ć®ng McDonald up front ā€¦

Just now, chicken said:

I don't think he's rubbish, I think he's fairly one dimensional. He's the old fashioned centre forward who just wants to get the ball, play it wide, then throw himself into the box for a cross. The issue is, top level strikers, even those in the target men mold need to be a bit more than that now.

Hugill on the bench is only really an option if we are chasing games. Sargent is decent in the air, plus he has pace and is stronger. If you want to bring someone on in that situation, pace is also a good weapon.Ā 

I respectfully disagree. I strongly believe that Hugill is awful and I can't figure out how he has made it above League two, at best. He's notĀ thatĀ big, he's notĀ thatĀ strong, he's not that good in the air, he has zero pace, he looks knackered after 5 minutes, he can't pass, he controls a ball further than most players can kick it, he isn't prolific and he isn't creative.Ā  His only slight positives about big-ish, strong-ish, decent in the air, in no way make up for his glaringly terrible negatives.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

One dimensional is unfair. I think he can do 3 things.

Back into defender.

Give away foul.

Walk away laughing.

12 minutes ago, chicken said:

After the game on Tuesday I would agree. I thought Gibbs and Sinani were the two standout performers from that from CM/AM.Ā 

They did both play 90 though so maybe tiredness was more the issue considering another two games within a week coming. Iā€™m assuming thereā€™s going to be a bit of rotation over the next 3.

• Like 2