chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Hull (L/A) *****

11 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I disagree. Hull did an absolute job on us first half, we let in a really soft goal, failed to take our chances and couldn’t break down a team that finished 18th last season. Meanwhile Hull kept us out and took their chance. They had the best of the first half- and the second 

If ‘doing an absolute job on us first half’ involves having no shots on target in the first 20 minutes to our seven then I may have been misunderstanding football all these years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pyro Pete said:

Terrific Canary Call so far.

First caller: "I'm foooomin!"

Is that a local name? Like Cubitt or Jarlsley? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Smith post-match interview with Paddy:

'There is no need to panic. I was asked if this is a hangover from relegation. But teams suffering a hangover don't dominate games like we have these first three.'

'There is no need to panic. I was asked if this is a hangover from relegation. But teams suffering a hangover don't dominate games like we have these first three.'

Ffs 

Wow. 

Just........ wow. 

What poor questions will chris Goreham ask Smith= oh I sorry but did you have a unlucky game

2 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

I know people don’t rate Hugil but what sort of course is it where you’d rather throw Sargent on than him? Smith has officially lost the plot

Just now, baldy09 said:

What poor questions will chris Goreham ask Smith= oh I sorry but did you have a unlucky game

Absolutely this. They're so scared of upsetting Mr ego that they just pander to anyone and everyone who's put in front of them connected to the club. 

15 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

I wouldn’t disagree with you, as a collective they are a very poor team. But Pukki has been a shoe in every week based on his past, and he doesn’t score goals, he is very very poor. Admittedly we are not creating the chances for him, but when that does happen, he misses! Mark Rivers says it as it is! Listen to him.

The alternative is Hugill who didn't exactly shine on Tuesday, and then Idah is injured. He's the best we've got. Completely agree we need to sign another striker, I guess they thought the answer was Sargent. It isn't. 

4 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Hanley said we improving - that made me laugh -best joke heard for a long while

He also said the first goal was unlucky and once in a season.... but Grant... those errors have been happening every week.

Just now, Kanadyan Kanary said:

He also said the first goal was unlucky and once in a season.... but Grant... those errors have been happening every week.

For nearly 5 years 

So Sara misses out on valuable game time to get him up to speed whilst we play someone else’s player and we still lose!   

Will you lot never learn!!!!! Loans in are going to hold us back!   May as well develop our own!   

Edited by ged in the onion bag
  • Confused 1

So in the last 10-15  minutes when we were getting wingers to the byline and getting crosses in , it was crying out for Hugill aerially, and Smith left him on the bench!?

Pack your bags Smith. This guys taking us down a league

There is a difference between being the better team and the winning team. Some folks can't differentiate that which is why you get some odd sort of reflections.

There is absolutely no point being the better team, the more dominant team if you don't come out of it with three points.

A certain Alex Ferguson got very upset after losing an FA Cup final to Arsenal saying his side were the better team, how they dominated possession and they didn't deserve to lose. Football doesn't work like that. The most important thing is sticking it in the net. Pulis, despite the slaughtering he gets, managed to keep Stoke in the premier league for several seasons by making them robust. They might not have been an open and free-flowing football team but they got the results that mattered.

You need both. Pukki was give enough chances to score a hat-trick today - he isn't the only one though. We should have been comfortable winners, we weren't. Questions need to be asked. Especially of some of the silly mistakes that are costing us goals. We dropped points again today by failing to finish, then ballsing it up at our end, by Aarons of all people. 

6 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

So in the last 10-15  minutes when we were getting wingers to the byline and getting crosses in , it was crying out for Hugill aerially, and Smith left him on the bench!?

Pack your bags Smith. This guys taking us down a league

Hugill wasn't on the bench. 

Why oh why have we made four signings, one injured and only one starts out of the other three. And Deano goes on about fitness. We now have 5 subs. And they have three breaks during 90 minutes. Its all becoming a bit hard to swallow all this nonsense about fitness.

Just now, astro said:

@chicken - shambles 👍

Nope. Not really. We didn't play "****" - we got a sh ei t" result.

A shambles for me would be never dominating a game and looking shocking. I think the main frustration is that for large parts of the last four games, well, ok maybe the last three games, we have dominated teams, played some nice/good football - yet we can't make that tell.

I think it's harsh to blame Smith in some ways - I think the main thing at the moment is something someone else said "re-galvanised".  We don't look like that. We seem to be lacking a bit in front of goal and a bit panicky at the back. In our last three games we have dominated, had good spells of football, opened teams up, created good chances. You can't call that a shambles, that's a good 60% at least of what we should be doing. We're even defending well for large periods. How do you legislate for Aarons today? Or Dowell closing down his own player on Tuesday? Or Pukki being so wastefull with chances.

If that belief and confidence isn't back soon then the club will have to consider what to do if they genuinely want this side to compete for promotion this season.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Thats even worse

Like I said, going by Tuesday night, it isn't. He's just everyone's favourite "go-to doll". There is always one player everyone things the manager is stupid for not playing. He wouldn't have helped today. He doesn't get into the positions Pukki does, so there's not even an argument to say he would have scored one of those chances.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Why oh why have we made four signings, one injured and only one starts out of the other three. And Deano goes on about fitness. We now have 5 subs. And they have three breaks during 90 minutes. Its all becoming a bit hard to swallow all this nonsense about fitness.

Plus the squad were probably suffering from severe jet-lag from the 25 minute long-haul flight from Norwich to Humberside.....and including this evening's return flight....I do hope they're ok and and suitably refreshed for Tuesday against Huddersfield?....

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, chicken said:

We seem to be lacking a bit in front of goal and a bit panicky at the back. 

I hope you didn't just recently come to this conclusion 😂

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Plus the squad were probably suffering from severe jet-lag from the 25 minute long-haul flight from Norwich to Humberside.....and including this evening's return flight....I do hope they're ok and and suitably refreshed for Tuesday against Huddersfield?....

Perhaps more concerned about getting Duty Frees