Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Waiting for players to fulfil their promise.....or just

waiting for them to "click"......or both?

We have quite a few who should be doing better - Rashica, Sargent, Idah, Cantwell, to name four. We need all of them to either assist and/or score more and take the pressure off Pukki. I am sure all those players I mentioned will do well at some point and when they do, we will see the full potential of this squad come to fruition.  Add in Nunez to that, who looks as if he will be fantastic for us, Sara, Hayden and the rest and we really do have a very strong squad.

Will it happen straight away? Maybe not, but for the first time since Farke left, I can see something to get excited about as each game approaches. Still not sure about Smith, but the quality is there in the squad and ultimately it is down to the players to perform.

So which comes first, the chicken or the egg....individuals playing to their potential or the team as a whole performing well?  Or both?

We have lots of good players or potentially very good players the season will be defined by how many of them can really influence games at this level consistently across the whole season.

I think once they start to click, they'll bring out the best on each other. A slight concern of mine is that injuries, players coming back from injury or still settling in, make it difficult for Smith to know his best XI. With Farkeball there was a generic way of playing, I don't think we are quite there yet with Smith.

Rashica and Sargent have had a year but still haven’t clicked so don’t think they will tbh, other clubs would get rid but not here as we are far too patient and nice, it’s why we were abysmal last season and haven’t got up and running this season 

Aside from Cantwell who's previously shown some ability at this level, there's no evidence to suggest that any of the above will offer anything more than what we've seen already. Every time Rashica starts is another dent in our prospects for the season. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Aside from Cantwell who's previously shown some ability at this level, there's no evidence to suggest that any of the above will offer anything more than what we've seen already. Every time Rashica starts is another dent in our prospects for the season. 

I think Rashica avoided criticism last year because he wasn't as useless as Gilmour et al.

But this year we are starting to demand more and realising that he has no final product.

He really needs to up his game, and quickly.

• Like 1

Fulfilling promise and a team clicking often go hand-in-hand, especially when you're putting together a team where interplay is key to creating the chances.

I think Cantwell has looked decent this season. 
the others have been pants and I’m not that convinced they’re actually any good!!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I think Cantwell has looked decent this season. 
the others have been pants and I’m not that convinced they’re actually any good!!

anyone who performs well keeps the shirt now if thats Gibbs Rowe Springett or even Idah then so be it 

We can not rely on waiting or past performances it has to be their  form now 

i do not care if someone has 50 caps for their country if they are not producing for NCFC they get dropped 

Rashica and Sargent have not produced so until they do someone else should be given a chance 

Unfair on Cantwell as he has done well in pre season, shown desire and determine to get back in the squad and first team setup. Will get better the more games he plays.

Idah was a real handful in some of the games last season and was very unlucky with the timing of the injury. Will be a real handful at Championship level when match fit.

Agree that Rashicha and Sargent have underperformed so far. Need to show there worth over the next few games otherwise we have other options who are close to starting. Sinani, Hernandez and Ramsey etc.

To start, I would like us to play at a higher tempo. Are the players capable? Some.

I will ignore defencebecause ours is no better or worse than others.

Those who look to me who could play well at this level and at a higher tempo in midfield are Cantwell, Hernandez, McLean and Rashica. They do not look so good when we just retain possession. Going forward is their game.

Only Pukki looks comfortable of the forward players.

Of course I expect Nunez, Sara and Hayden to be able.

I don't think that leaves much room for manouvre unless some of them I have excluded improve and maybe Gibbs, Springett, Rowe and now Ramsey will improve as they play more.

Cantwell has started the season well, Idah has been injured. Rashica hasn't been great but has an assist. Sargent scored the winning penalty.

Slightly tongue in cheek but its intentional, none of them have been close to the disaster some have painted this season already

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

To start, I would like us to play at a higher tempo. Are the players capable? Some.

I will ignore defencebecause ours is no better or worse than others.

Those who look to me who could play well at this level and at a higher tempo in midfield are Cantwell, Hernandez, McLean and Rashica. They do not look so good when we just retain possession. Going forward is their game.

Only Pukki looks comfortable of the forward players.

Of course I expect Nunez, Sara and Hayden to be able.

I don't think that leaves much room for manouvre unless some of them I have excluded improve and maybe Gibbs, Springett, Rowe and now Ramsey will improve as they play more.

With Krul, Aarons and Hanley, it should be. Even Gibbo and Dimi should be better the the Championship “average”.

This is why I think will finish second this year, this side will come good but when you have several midfield players of equal ability it takes time to work out and also you got two south Americans ( how quickly will they settle ) . There so many question marks against so many players , but we gotta a squad that everyone in this league would be jealous of.otbc😄

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Cantwell has started the season well, Idah has been injured. Rashica hasn't been great but has an assist. Sargent scored the winning penalty.

Slightly tongue in cheek but its intentional, none of them have been close to the disaster some have painted this season already

No. We’re doomed. Club’s a joke and we’re going down. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

How come Dowell never crops up in these discussions. He like the invisible man.

He needs to perform , he is talented but sadly he needs to turn it on when given chances and he's not doing this, his future is in his own hands..🤔

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I think Rashica avoided criticism last year because he wasn't as useless as Gilmour et al.

But this year we are starting to demand more and realising that he has no final product.

He really needs to up his game, and quickly.

And yet it's Onel who Smth is challenging to improve his end-product

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Rashica and Sargent have had a year but still haven’t clicked so don’t think they will tbh, other clubs would get rid but not here as we are far too patient and nice, it’s why we were abysmal last season and haven’t got up and running this season 

It was very different in the PL as Norwich rarely had a sniff of the ball. In the Championship we tend to dominate possession, so a) we can see better what ideas Smith wants to implement and b) what players fit those ideas better, consistently.

Also, it's not really in our best interests to devalue assets in which the club invested a big sum of money - one of the few strengths of NCFC is developing players, and that takes time and patience (yea I know - alien concept for fans). For that, they need to play regularly, even if not at the club. Loans could be the answer.

2 hours ago, mrD66M said:

It was very different in the PL as Norwich rarely had a sniff of the ball. In the Championship we tend to dominate possession, so a) we can see better what ideas Smith wants to implement and b) what players fit those ideas better, consistently.

Also, it's not really in our best interests to devalue assets in which the club invested a big sum of money - one of the few strengths of NCFC is developing players, and that takes time and patience (yea I know - alien concept for fans). For that, they need to play regularly, even if not at the club. Loans could be the answer.

So pay 9 million for someone, they turn out crap for us, then loan them to someone else, they never play well for us and we sell at a big loss! Sounds like you’ve been telling Webber how to do his job and he listened to you 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

So pay 9 million for someone, they turn out crap for us, then loan them to someone else, they never play well for us and we sell at a big loss! Sounds like you’ve been telling Webber how to do his job and he listened to you 🤣🤣

Them playing frequently (even if loaned away) is the best chance of a) them finding consistent form then coming back, and/or b) us recouping the most possible of the initial investment.

Hernandez is one such case. When he got signed he was a nailed on starter and had a big impact on the 1st promotion - then got loaned out on the 2nd because he didn't fit Farke's plans. He's now back, and arguably he's still better than Milot or Josh. Cantwell didn't get much gametime last season here nor away, and most fans wanted him gone, but now he's back with his head screwed on, do you still think he does not deserve a chance? And who would you replace him if he went?

What do you suggest, just sell all these guys off for peanuts? I would do if we had adequate replacements ready, but we don't. 

Just now, mrD66M said:

Them playing frequently (even if loaned away) is the best chance of a) them finding consistent form then coming back, and/or b) us recouping the most possible of the initial investment.

Hernandez is one such case. When he got signed he was a nailed on starter and had a big impact on the 1st promotion - then got loaned out on the 2nd because he didn't fit Farke's plans. He's now back, and arguably he's still better than Milot or Josh. Cantwell didn't get much gametime last season here nor away, and most fans wanted him gone, but now he's back with his head screwed on, do you still think he does not deserve a chance? And who would you replace him if he went?

What do you suggest, just sell all these guys off for peanuts? I would do if we had adequate replacements ready, but we don't. 

What I would suggest is actually quite simple really. Don’t buy **** players you haven’t scouted properly. Not rocket science is it?

3 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

What I would suggest is actually quite simple really. Don’t buy **** players you haven’t scouted properly. Not rocket science is it?

Well done, Mr. Hindsight. 

That's all good, still does not answer the question of what to do in the current circumstances. 

18 hours ago, Petriix said:

. Every time Rashica starts is another dent in our prospects for the season. 

I want to wait and see what he looks like after the window has shut to be honest, if its true that he's had people scouting etc then who knows how much of a distraction that all may be. If the window slams shut and he finds himself a Norwich City player perhaps we'll see a more focused player.

Lets not forget he does have our only assist this season. One thing about Cantwell is that as much as we know he can be a good player, his assist figures have never been great, I'm not sure he's the answer when it comes to feeding the Pukkimeister General either.