Sign in to follow this  
Robert N. LiM

It was 50 years ago today

That Big Dunc first taught the band to play. Useful reminder that we are living in this club's golden age.

(What a headline in the predecessor of the pink 'un, too!)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

That Big Dunc first taught the band to play. Useful reminder that we are living in this club's golden age.

Have you got Cambridge's permission to start a thread such as this?

3 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Have you got Cambridge's permission to start a thread such as this?

Well he liked it, so I think it has the seal of approval. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

My first game 

Really? - that's pretty cool. I wasn't born then. My first game was the last home game of the 84-85 season, after which we were relegated, so basically the opposite of your experience!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

My first game 

Where were you, where were you, where were you when we were in the division below?

Bl00dy glory hunter. 😃

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Where were you, where were you, where were you when we were in the division below?

Bl00dy glory hunter. 😃

He was lurking...... As per. 

• Haha 1

I was a student in London the season we were promoted. I was convinced we would be promoted after watching us lose 2-1 to Millwall at the Den, Cold Blow Lane which is the only time I’ve witnessed a full blown punch up in a seated stand. I saw Jimmy Bone score a brilliant solo goal at the Valley and was present in that historic night at Brisbane Road when promotion to Division 1 was confirmed. I had been a match attending fan for 8 seasons before that and the next season not only did we have our first top flight season but also our first Wembley final losing 1-0 to Spurs in the League Cup thanks to Ralph Coates. It was a terrible match but as we lost and a London Club won the press blamed us for the poor quality of the game. So much for it taking two to tango 😡

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Wow, that’s really funny ...As per

would you go so far as to say Hilarious? 

Seriously though - well done on a reply - and not just posting a reaction. 

I remember travelling up from Rugby for the game. One of my first. Got absolutely soaked in a downpour at the end of the game. Does anyone have the starting 11? 

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Wow!  I was there!! 

• Like 1

I wore my yellow and green silk scarf around my head like a bandana, a yellow singlet and green trousers. Stood in the Barclay  with Mrs KG and sang our vocal chords into oblivion.

And I always liked thegreen socks. Looked continental.

33 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

‘My first game…’   could make an interesting thread …

I think someone did it a few years ago but it's well worth revisiting. Your idea so I'll leave it to you. 

First away game is always interesting as well. 

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

would you go so far as to say Hilarious? 

Seriously though - well done on a reply - and not just posting a reaction. 

How about you actually comment on the subject for once instead of coming out with your usual nonsense ? 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

How about you actually comment on the subject for once instead of coming out with your usual nonsense ? 

The irony meter has blown up again! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I wore my yellow and green silk scarf around my head like a bandana, a yellow singlet and green trousers. Stood in the Barclay  with Mrs KG and sang our vocal chords into oblivion.

And I always liked thegreen socks. Looked continental.

That explains why you were banished to Cornwall ! 

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Happy days 💛💚

Lots to enjoy there. Not much has changed. "Everton: they were a disappointment last season". And the Norwich game last on Match of the (Week). 

2 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Come on Cambridge, you're missing an open goal here. You can tell us all the first match at Carrow Rd you attended 😁

2 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

First home game: 28th January 1967 in the old Second Division against Rotherham, we won 1-0.  Lol Morgan (who died a few months ago I believe) was the manager.  Not a classic but got the job done.  Ice and snow on the terraces, we had proper winters in those days.

First away game: February 1967 at Old Trafford in the FA Cup, against most of the team that won the European Cup the following year.  63,000+ packed in.  We won 2-1.  Unforgettable.

Edited by benchwarmer

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

That explains why you were banished to Cornwall ! 

Had to meet Mum at the Railway Station that evening so stayed around for a couple of hours or so. Must have looked a right t.i.t at 7.30pm still dressed like that.

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Had to meet Mum at the Railway Station that evening so stayed around for a couple of hours or so. Must have looked a right t.i.t at 7.30pm still dressed like that.

I have no words KGD, No words!  😊 

I was there , the atmosphere was great after one of the best ever season , lots of thought we would never make it to the the top league , just the thought of Man Utd Chelsea Spurs ect coming to Carrow road was so exciting. Jimmy bone and David Cross up front worked well for us . Unfortunately like so many seasons in top flight did not last , biggest disappointment was the fact that George Best never turned up for the game at Carrow Road so never got to see him play .