For the future

Striker needed to get us back to the premier league

I agree, we really could do with someone proven at this level, a striker who has shown he can score 20+ goals a season at this level easily....I wonder where we might find one, I heard there's this guy from Finland who's supposed to be pretty good at this level, maybe we should give him a go

• Like 9

Supply is the problem not strikers missing chances 

that is my concern in the championship you would think we would be able to create more 

PL fine i understand that ,but Smith has to find a way to get this team rolling and creating

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

If we don't improve our final ball it wouldn't matter if we had Kane. I think Teemu has had one decent ball in the two games.

That’s just not true.  I don’t understand why some players seem protected from criticism, or that it is everyone else’s fault. He seems to be just off his game a little but hopefully it’ll come.  There’s been several openings where he’s not had the pace or not fired off his shot in time.

We had 22 shots v Wigan, only 4 on target: there is the problem.

Edited by Branston Pickle

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

That’s just not true.  I don’t understand why some players seem protected from criticism, or that it is everyone else’s fault. He seems to be just off his game a little but hopefully it’ll come.  There’s been several openings where he’s not had the pace or not fired off his shot in time.

Pukki's hardly had a sniff. I don't think he's looked super sharp but he has still been making the runs.

Pukki has proven twice over that he is a 20+ goals per season striker at this level. It’s the responsibility of Smith and the players around him to supply him with the chances he can convert.

• Like 3

It's ok Hernandez is going to improve his end product, only a matter of time before the goals start flying in 😉

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It's ok Hernandez is going to improve his end product, only a matter of time before the goals start flying in 😉

He's gonna make more public/podcast appearances than goals this year and he'll still get a bunch of votes for POTS.

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

If we don't improve our final ball it wouldn't matter if we had Kane. I think Teemu has had one decent ball in the two games.

Pukki had 3 good chances against Wigan. One on target, one hit the woodwork and one went just wide. The service wasn’t a problem against them, he was unlucky and he’ll get plenty of goals this season 

3 minutes ago, TESCO said:

Pukki had 3 good chances against Wigan. One on target, one hit the woodwork and one went just wide. The service wasn’t a problem against them, he was unlucky and he’ll get plenty of goals this season 

The one that hit the underside of the bar was especially unlucky. It might have fallen the right side of the line from our point of view, it might have hit the goalie and ricocheted in, and, if you look at the video, it might have bounced kindly for Cantwell who was directly in front of it and could have had a tap-in.

Watching the video of Tzolis scoring for Twente I thought their number 9 looked decent 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Its very true. His control is not what it should be at the moment but he has made plenty of runs and Rashica in particular hasn't put him in.

I'm not protecting him at all. I thought he was slightly lucky to start against Cardiff considering his preseason.

1 hour ago, Tzol Machine said:

There's a guy in twente squad we sent as a loan, i cant remember his name atm but he scores 1 goal every 10 mins

I’m not buying that you like him that much, I just think you’d rather not have to change your user name 😂

6 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

We did have Kane.

Fantastic for us as far as I remember.........

7 hours ago, For the future said:

I have watched two home game’s we need a good quality striker to get us back to the premier league or we stay in the championship.

We have Hugill, by a lot of people he is a great option in this league! Then Sargent who Smith says will come good! Idah flatters on the edge of brilliance (that hatrick three years ago was no fluke)…..why do we need another striker, we have Pukki!👍💚💛

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I agree, we really could do with someone proven at this level, a striker who has shown he can score 20+ goals a season at this level easily....I wonder where we might find one, I heard there's this guy from Finland who's supposed to be pretty good at this level, maybe we should give him a go

I think the point is that a promotion push requires more than just Pukki. He is great but he is also ageing, out of form, exhausted from so many games last season; ergo putting all the pressure on his shoulders isn’t the right way forward. We need someone to seriously challenge him and come in for him who can be relied on for goals- and we just don’t have that at present.

Idah is always either injured or about to come good (but it never quite happens) I could see him becoming the new Ryan Jarvis at this rate 

hugill has a great heart but is L1 level at best 

Sargent copy and paste re hugil

Edited by Dean Coneys boots

10 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

This sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole... but I found the Opta definitions. 

https://www.statsperform.com/opta-event-definitions/

A good rabbit hole mind you. Judging by that, it's good to see that a lot of sites cherry pick the stats they think they want you to see. So for example 22 shots with 4 on target makes it sound like the other 18 were not on target. In reality, without the blocked shot stat, we won't know that to be the case. 

We are short on strikers.

21 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

The problem is that that guy from Finland, as excellent as he may be, is in his thirties will be as prone to injury, illness or loss of form as any other player in the league and there are too many question marks concerning the back-ups/ others (Idah, Sargent?) to risk being short-handed in this vital (very) position.

Far too risky, then?

Ok! There should be a small bucket-load of goals from our midfielders/wide men (Rashica, Cantwell, Dowell etc. and the newbies) but that should be accepted in any case.

I agree with the OP and have been saying as much since the window opened, and am disappointed at the lack of intention in this respect. 

It's a squad game, with extra substitutes now allowed. Even the best performers no longer automatically expect the guarantee of a starting place. 

Ninety minutes is a long time in football. It is also a very long season.

Edited by BroadstairsR

On 12/08/2022 at 12:18, keelansgrandad said:

Teemu Pukki has more than one decent ball during the premiership years, and still missed!!