Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Our left back injury issue has been solved

Kenny is Pretty good in the Air  so would add strength there 

i doubt with all the signings in midfield he will be starting once everyone is up and fit

i imagine Smith was not impressed with our midfield thats why all our signings have been midfielders 

might be Kenny's chance to stay in team 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Think he'd get done on pace, but make up for it in physicality and determination.

physicality and determination? Not sure he even has these qualities.

He could probably fill the gap as well as Sorenson but I'd still rather his preferred position end up being the bench!

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Could work. It worked well with Lungi, and he's not left-footed.

I think that’s why it works personally. 

He looked far more comfortable at left back than right.

Being left footed is only really an advantage going forward if you’re going to overlap on the outside and get crosses in. Can’t see Lungi or Kenny beating their man, not their game.

If we lost Max I’d put Lungi left and Kenny right personally.

Makes more sense to me as both offer more attacking coming inside onto their stronger foot in a more natural environment for them as CMs.

21 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Being left footed is only really an advantage going forward if you’re going to overlap on the outside and get crosses in. Can’t see Lungi or Kenny beating their man, not their game.

Makes more sense to me as both offer more attacking coming inside onto their stronger foot in a more natural environment for them as CMs.

great for cutting inside etc 

but when you tackle you go in with your strongest leg first so if a winger is bombing down line you can not hook your leg round and tackle with your strongest leg 

Edited by norfolkngood

35 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

great for cutting inside etc 

but when you tackle you go in with your strongest leg first so if a winger is bombing down line you can not hook your leg round and tackle with your strongest leg 

Very good point, my argument would be in this league we should be attacking far more than defending so I’d prioritise that personally.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Agree, but would say the problem we have is that our style of attack under Smith looks rather different than under Farke. It could work if Lungi was encouraged to underlap, and whoever is on the left wing gets chalk on their boots. Alternatively, if you're putting Lungi and McLean as full-backs with a hint to come inside, hit the crosses from further out and ask them to float them in if Hugill or Sargent - or both - are up there. It might not be about beating their man when it comes to digging out crosses.

Cantwell won't do that re. hugging the touchline, his instinct is to come inside. Hernandez is more likely, but then Lungi's probably going to miss him if he's deciding to cut in.

50 minutes ago, pete said:

What about Gibson at LB, will cut out his CB errors

Did you see the position he passed from for the Wigan goal?

Re McClean. I'm pretty sure he filled in there once during a game in which the LB was injured.

We've actually used Kenny as a left wingback before when chasing games- I remember v Birmingham a few years ago. It actually worked quite well as he could cross from a deeper position pretty effectively but you'd need to have an actual target on the pitch to aim at.

McLean as LWB could work for a while if we had enough CBs and some cover (e.g. Gibson). Lungi could drop back into CB and then plug any gaps that appear in the second half.

Sorensen     Hanley     Omobamidele

Aarons     Sara     Gibbs     Nunez     McLean

Pukki     Hugill

Any of Sorensen, McLean or Gibson could enable a reshuffle into a back 4 during the game if/when desired. Strong bench options too with Cantwell, Sargent, Rashica, Dowell (Idah?) ... giving different attacking options against tiring teams. Pukki gets some support & gives an opportunity to have a look at Gibbs too.

(Short aside: nice to make an engine room selection without suffering a shudder of dread, despite how unproven they are at this point)

Nunez can play right back so we're more likely to switch Max to LB in an emergency. Sorensen will play LB, he's already proven there in the Championship. 

It'll be Lungi that plays there now Sara is fit enough to play. McLean's lack of pace would worry me at LB