Sign in to follow this  
Dr Greenthumb

Saxon Earley

Having a great start to life at Stevenage. Won a penalty and then winning goal assist on Saturday and has just opened the scoring against Reading! Go on lad

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Don't you just love the loan system! Great way to get a player like Earley some actual first team experience. No better way for us to maximise the chances for our young talent to develop their potential.

First thought was "since when did the Boris Johnson wig come into fashion?". 

Seriously though, it's always nice to see promising youngsters stake a claim, whether at their home club, or out on loan.

A local lad, and a defensive midfielder if I'm not mistaken? I guess that if we don't go up this season, on his current trajectory he'll have a good chance of breaking into the first team next season.

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Don't you just love the loan system! Great way to get a player like Earley some actual first team experience. No better way for us to maximise the chances for our young talent to develop their potential.

Hopefully. Need the lads to go somewhere to get regular football. Sounds like he has been well received there too, that will breed confidence.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Also a brilliant name.

Also (as I have pointed out previously) the name of a particularly fine potato. Grew some this year, very tasty.

• Like 1

Saxon inspiring the Boro, 3 mayches this season 3 2-1 wins.  Winning goals in the 84, 95 and 89th minutes.  Exciting at the Lamex at the moment.

12 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

A local lad, and a defensive midfielder if I'm not mistaken? I guess that if we don't go up this season, on his current trajectory he'll have a good chance of breaking into the first team next season.

Left Back I believe. 

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

Left Back I believe. 

Really? Quick cancel his loan 😂 

• Haha 4

Just now, Monty13 said:

Really? Quick cancel his loan 😂 

I actually thought this was going to be one of those "can we cancel his loan" threads... 😂

8 minutes ago, chicken said:

Left Back I believe. 

Transfermarkt says defensive midfield, Wikipedia says left back and defensive midfield. Obviously a bit of versatility there.

12 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Can also play left back

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Transfermarkt says defensive midfield, Wikipedia says left back and defensive midfield. Obviously a bit of versatility there.

The games they have put up live I have only seen him at left back. Nice to have versatility though, as you rightly say.

• Like 1

Had never heard of him until he played in the Dereham friendly. Would be great if he does well this season as he might be ready for League One football next season

22 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Also a brilliant name.

Reminds me of a quality traditional pub, "just off down the Saxon Early for a couple" 

• Like 1

I was at the Dereham friendly and he played the second half at left back. I know it's only Dereham, but I do remember liking the look of him; he looks like he's got something. 

I think he was s midfielder coming through but may have been converted to full back, although I have no idea where he's playing at Stevenage. Very few top level full backs actually played full back during their time in age-group football, they were nearly all converted from somewhere else, so it would make sense if this is the plan with Earley.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I was at the Dereham friendly and he played the second half at left back. I know it's only Dereham, but I do remember liking the look of him; he looks like he's got something. 

I think he was s midfielder coming through but may have been converted to full back, although I have no idea where he's playing at Stevenage. Very few top level full backs actually played full back during their time in age-group football, they were nearly all converted from somewhere else, so it would make sense if this is the plan with Earley.

Hopefully we have a recall on him! 

Great macho name, better than Colin or Nigel I guess 😉

Has captained the U18s and U23s so has something about him. One to keep an eye on.

15 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Great macho name, better than Colin or Nigel I guess 😉

Has captained the U18s and U23s so has something about him. One to keep an eye on.

Certainly better than Jubal Early, my go to answer for the Pointless final if the subject is General Knowledge ... he was an American Civil War General.

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Reminds me of a quality traditional pub, "just off down the Saxon Early for a couple" 

Opening hours: 6am to 11am. Monandæg to Frigedæg.

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

A couple o' frothy flagons of mead and a whole roast chicken for just 2 scillingas......                     

1 hour ago, LaUnionCanary said:

A direct descendant of Queen Boudicca? 

You're getting your Saxons and Icenis mixed up mate! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LaUnionCanary said:

A direct descendant of Queen Boudicca? 

The first Saxons arrived around 400yrs after Boudica.

Boudica was a Celt. It's why it's somewhat amusing that she is a symbol of Britain which is seen to be "English". Another term for English which is often used is Anglo-Saxon, which has nothing to do with the Celts and to do with the Angles and the Saxons - who both came from a similar area of what is now Germany/Denmark.

On Saturday Saxon replaced Bostwick a CM.  He was fouled just inside left side of penalty area and provided assist for the winner from touchline on left hand side.  Not positions for a LB.  Against Reading scored from left hand side of penalty area.  Left sided then Kenny's replacements perhaps

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pete said:

On Saturday Saxon replaced Bostwick a CM.  He was fouled just inside left side of penalty area and provided assist for the winner from touchline on left hand side.  Not positions for a LB.  Against Reading scored from left hand side of penalty area.  Left sided then Kenny's replacements perhaps

Thanks Pete.  I observed similar in the highlights but I did also wonder if the highlights would naturally feature the bits when he'd get forward as an attacking LB.  I guess anyone watching our highlights recently might think something similar about Max.  But also you make the point about him coming on for a CM so maybe we'll have to see in future games.