chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Birmingham (LC) *****

15 minutes ago, chicken said:

Oh dear Mk III... 🤪🤪

Trollollollolloll. 

I’m not trolling, I just can’t be bothered to debate a point with someone who resorts to name calling 👍

27 minutes ago, astro said:

I’m not trolling, I just can’t be bothered to debate a point with someone who resorts to name calling 👍

You weren't debating before. You couldn't raise a single worthwhile point other than to call it all a shambled because you have a very entitled and unrealistic position. It's that simple. 

Will I use creative words to describe that? You bet I will. Unreasonable and unrealistic - which IMHO, makes you an incredibly poor judge of tonight's performance. It's clear others agree. Perhaps get some sleep and think on it and come back when you can be prepared to be reasonable about it.

Oh, and it is absolutely trolling to repeat the same response over and over because you don't like what is being said. G'night. 🤪

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Again, he's far from crap but he's not a Premier League midfielder.

He is a proven championship title winner though, the league we are in, and would get in pretty much every other championship side.

It's why one of our most successful managers in recent times delivering the best football played him regularly,  and its why another experienced manager and Premier League winning first team coach continue to pick him.

It's also why when you speak to first team players or ex pros away from the camera, or conveniently on radio Norfolk, they all put McLean in their side.

The most sensible post I've read on here for a long time, prem no .champ hell yeah.😄

• Like 3

9 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Does that excuse it?

RATIONAL PERSON: Why did you spend all that money on Sara to watch him play second fiddle to someone we already had on the books?

WEBBER: You mean someone I signed?

NOT SO RATIONAL PERSON: Great point Webber, you were right to spend £9 million on him!

I'm sure you're not suggesting we should judge the value of Sara from the first 60 minutes of football he has had after a 3 month lay-off because of injury.

I must say, Sorenson's goal had a real cheekiness about it that was a real pleasure to watch.

Our players just seemed far too slow getting back as soon as we lost the ball prior to the first goal; there seems to be a major lag in the players shifting from an attacking mindset to a defensive one. 

It never ceases to amaze me just how much confidence seems to affect performance in football, even at the highest level. A bit of me wonders whether throwing away a convincing lead needlessly, but still pulling through under the pressure of a penalty shoot out might do more for morale than if they'd simply held onto the lead for the second half. 

Good result, anyway. Gunn really pulled it out of the bag for the penalties. 

Is it good management to bring on two new players immediately before the opposition takes a corner ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chicken said:

Spot on. You go through that team...

Gunn, 2nd choice, probably a little iffy on his positioning for the first goal. He seemed to be a step or two, too far to his right.
Sorensen at RB, is probably our 3rd choice there.
Tomkinson - 4th choice CB who's in his first year in the senior squad proper.
McCallum - 2nd choice LB.
Sara - clearly not fit, looked leggy fairly quickly into the 2nd half and was rightly subbed for it. Good run out which will only help to get him up to speed and some fitness into that tank.
Dowell - see Sara, but also probably behind Nunez, Cantwell and at the moment at least, Sinani in that role.
Hernandez and Sinani will have started the night behind Cantwell, Rashica, Sargent though I think Sinani has gone about the right way of staking a claim tonight.
Gibbs was being talked about being sent on loan and is 19. Would normally be behind McLean, Sorensen, Hayden, Sara, Nunez and most likely Ramsay. 
Hugill, on that showing, is behind Pukki, Sargent and Idah (when fit).

Just my feeling, but I would like to see strikers switched about a bit more, even if Pukki may be the first choice. We can't rely on Pukki forever, the other strikers we have will never get any sharper in this team without more time on the pitch with the rest of the team in a competitive environment, and if Pukki picks up an injury then it'll be panic stations. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Seeing Sorensen's goal this morning, its pure technical brilliance. One of those goals that would be played over and over and over if a 'top' player had scored it. Not a coincidence either when he put one in a similar fashion versus Marseille, albeit this one being even more impressive; further out and on the bounce.

Given his best spell of performances for the club came at left back I am not remotely concerned if he has to fill in for McCallum on Saturday (and Gibbs at CDM), he offers something totally different in that spot and perhaps these goals can unlock some extra confidence. What an asset to have on the left hand side when you can cut inside and offer a genuine goal threat. 

Thought at times we looked really good, then faded. But the side did have 10 changes, with a number of little selection intrigues to boot.

Really disappointed for McCallum who I think looked strong and capable. You could tell from his body language it's not a good one. Gibbs massively impressive in his first start and with Lungi almost definitely at left back this weekend I think he's done his chances of a start in midfield the world of good. Tomkinson also looked reasonably comfortable.

Hernandez is an interesting one as he does about as much as Rashica in end product but gets there in a much more chaotic and interesting way.

Sinani, Dowell, Sara all showed bits of technical flow, Nunez is the obvious talisman-in-waiting though. He looks absolutely thrilled to be here and probably can't say 'I'm going to chip the keeper' but that clearly isnt going to stop him.

All in all, got through the round, entertaining game, banger of a goal, minutes in the legs for the wider squad. Not so bad IMO. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if we will look to move Hugill on before the window closes? Possibly a loan out.

He doesn't work in a 4-3-3 and I remarked before the game there's no point playing him ball to feet. Deano didn't fancy bringing him on against Wigan either, and I think we can see why now.

Personally I don't think he's worth a place on a 7 man bench.

28 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I wonder if we will look to move Hugill on before the window closes? Possibly a loan out.

He doesn't work in a 4-3-3 and I remarked before the game there's no point playing him ball to feet. Deano didn't fancy bringing him on against Wigan either, and I think we can see why now.

We had more hopeless crosses into the box in the league game though that Pukki had no chance with. Rashica probably the culprit. More evidence of a flowing 4-3-3 in this game that Hugill can’t gel in, agreed 

16 minutes ago, WD40 said:

We had more hopeless crosses into the box in the league game though that Pukki had no chance with. Rashica probably the culprit. More evidence of a flowing 4-3-3 in this game that Hugill can’t gel in, agreed 

Agree - there were more passes in behind their defence than crosses (ironically, it was Hugill who crossed for Sinani) and it was very clear that Hugill carried no threat at all.

Didn't have the pace to get away from the defenders nor the technical skill or guile to make much happen when it was played into feet. Wasn't particularly effective in the air, either. 

Very hard to see how he's going to fit in and Sargent, for all his detractors, looked a cut above when he came on.

• Like 1

Just a quick word of thanks for all the reports from those of you at the match - it gives a very good picture of how the game went.  It helped make up for the absence of Ricardo's usual spellbinding report.  I hope he's well.

I'm glad Gibbs did well - he looked very promising in the games and highlights from the u-23's last season.  I remember thinking he played a bit like Billy Gilmour - and I mean that in the nicest possible way!!  And great to have a player like Nunez that we can get excited about.

Thanks again and best wishes to all

11 minutes ago, Rottingdean canary said:

I'm glad Gibbs did well - he looked very promising in the games and highlights from the u-23's last season.  I remember thinking he played a bit like Billy Gilmour - and I mean that in the nicest possible way!!  And great to have a player like Nunez that we can get excited about.

There's an interesting comparison between Gibbs and Gilmour, as they're both of similar stature. Granted this was against Champ opposition as opposed to PL, but Gibbs protects the ball and uses his body in a way I never saw from Gilmour. The latter always seemed to be physically eclipsed, knocked off the ball and easy to tackle.

Must be the mean streets of Bury St Edmunds 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

Hernandez is an interesting one as he does about as much as Rashica in end product but gets there in a much more chaotic and interesting way.

So basically both players do **** all but at least Hernandez is fun to watch 😄 

I'm very interested in the sudden emergence of Liam Gibbs. It seems that there are nothing but positive reports about him.

Those who have seen him will know. Presumably he won't be ready enough for an instant starting place, but will he eventually turn out to be that industrious and defensive midfielder that we have been lacking since Olly Skipp returned to Spurs? If so, we would appear to have pulled a nice one on ITFC.

Also, I'd be interested to know last night's gate. The attendance used to be put on the fixtures and results section at the end of the match report. Not now it seems, and I am unable to find it anywhere on this new improved site. 

24 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I'm very interested in the sudden emergence of Liam Gibbs. It seems that there are nothing but positive reports about him.

Those who have seen him will know. Presumably he won't be ready enough for an instant starting place, but will he eventually turn out to be that industrious and defensive midfielder that we have been lacking since Olly Skipp returned to Spurs? If so, we would appear to have pulled a nice one on ITFC.

Also, I'd be interested to know last night's gate. The attendance used to be put on the fixtures and results section at the end of the match report. Not now it seems, and I am unable to find it anywhere on this new improved site. 

18,000 plus a bit

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Attendance 18971 I think

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I couldnt disagree more. I think Hugill has a vital role to play this season, even if a back up to Pukki. If we fail to break down a team by passing through them, he is our best option of bullying and causing problems aerially for a team. It remains to be seen whether Idah is going to ever offer a consistent goal threat.

Didn't see the game due to late home from Golf so just watched SSN so will not comment on the match.

Thought Sorenson's goal was magnificent. I'm sure he did similar preseason. Very disappointing to see the way Hanley kept backing off for their first goal. Must be something to look at as once you're in the box your options to tackle are limited.

In terms of results, its a disappointing start.

3 hours ago, kirku said:

Very hard to see how he's going to fit in and Sargent, for all his detractors, looked a cut above when he came on.

He really did. Comments around me reflected that. Hugill had gotten nothing from their two CB all night, especially their No.4 who had him in his pocket for the majority of it. When Sargent came on, it was clear he was covering more ground, better movement, more pace, stronger... had an effort off the line as well I seem to remember, or near the line. In comparison, their No.4 just couldn't handle him, couldn't keep up with his pace, movement and couldn't outmuscle him. Sargent pushed him back to the by-line and got a corner.

If Sargent is as rubbish as some say on here, it doesn't bode well for Hugill. 

21 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Didn't see the game due to late home from Golf so just watched SSN so will not comment on the match.

Thought Sorenson's goal was magnificent. I'm sure he did similar preseason. Very disappointing to see the way Hanley kept backing off for their first goal. Must be something to look at as once you're in the box your options to tackle are limited.

In terms of results, its a disappointing start.

If you watch the replay, their player comes from the right hand side of the pitch, Hanley actually has a player already and is expecting Tomkinson to close or take the player from Hanley so he can. It's the sort of thing you expect when you have a youngster in their first competitive start and an experienced pro used to playing alongside someone who is a bit more instinctive. 

It was what I call a "collective" issue. Certainly not Hanley's fault when you see where the player with the ball has come from. Hanley was playing LCB. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kirku said:

I agree that we dominated the game. Birmingham never truly threatened. Gunn saved more in the shootout than the game.

They scored a freak goal (although I thought we stood off him too much - like the Cardiff game) and a goal from a corner.

It is concerning if this emerging trend of soft goals continues, though.

I think the absence of a defensive midfielder still haunts us. We are back to conceding goals, usually against the run of play, when our midfield lose the ball and the opposition are able to run at our defence some distance and shoot or get a pass away unchallenged. Certainly the Cardiff and the first Brum goal came from that. You could argue also that a defensive midfielder may have read/covered for Max with the Wigan goal albeit you can't really legilslate for Gibson doing that. Lets hope Hayden is fit soon!

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think the absence of a defensive midfielder still haunts us. We are back to conceding goals, usually against the run of play, when our midfield lose the ball and the opposition are able to run at our defence some distance and shoot or get a pass away unchallenged. Certainly the Cardiff and the first Brum goal came from that. You could argue also that a defensive midfielder may have read/covered for Max with the Wigan goal albeit you can't really legilslate for Gibson doing that. Lets hope Hayden is fit soon!

It'll be interesting to see how we line up if McCallum misses the Hull game. If Sorenson has to drop in to left back I wonder if Gibbs may get the start over Sara who is clearly still adjusting. 

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

It'll be interesting to see how we line up if McCallum misses the Hull game. If Sorenson has to drop in to left back I wonder if Gibbs may get the start over Sara who is clearly still adjusting. 

Don't think Sara is going to playing DM at any point

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

Don't think Sara is going to playing DM at any point

Yeah it is more a case of whether McLean is the holder with Sara next to him. 

2 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

I couldnt disagree more. I think Hugill has a vital role to play this season, even if a back up to Pukki. If we fail to break down a team by passing through them, he is our best option of bullying and causing problems aerially for a team. It remains to be seen whether Idah is going to ever offer a consistent goal threat.

Fair enough, let's see how Deano views it. He didn't seem to think he had a vital role to play against Wigan.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Yeah it is more a case of whether McLean is the holder with Sara next to him. 

I'd rather have Gibbs in there after yesterday, I thought he was very good. 

Sara needs more minutes, I think.

I'd probably go for McLean, Gibbs, Nunez.

Maybe if McCallum is injured we'll end up keeping Gibbs instead of loaning him out, given that Lungi is going to be needed at LB (and is also presumably our cover at RB). We really do need another fullback..