chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Birmingham (LC) *****

Wasn't the last panenka penalty at Carrow Road taken by Wes?

Which he right royally mucked up and Lambert went ballistic!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Agree. I’m genuinely happy for him and Gunn tbh. I can’t explain why but I’d like Sarge to come good for us as I like his industry. If he somehow became a bit of a Kuyt type player I’d love it. For Gibbs to back himself as well is great. I think he more than deserved his place today in that side 

This is why I always say About a Sargent thunderbastard late winner! I'm trying to will it into existence! 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pyro Pete said:

Yep. And Chris bloody Brown scored Preston's goal in the same match.

Still...Holt then took over duties and the rest is history.

Nunez has some confidence to do that. Love it🙂

1 minute ago, Pyro Pete said:

Grant holt took pens after this. 

8 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Then Smith can't even make a good decision on a 50/50 choice.

Kenny was the senior pro you’d expect to take a penalty on the pitch. He should be hitting the target every time and scoring 9/10. Not Smiths fault was the obvious choice for first one.

• Like 1

Just now, hogesar said:

Or McLean just isn't as bad as some want to make him out to be, and he has 2x championship title medals plus being regularly picked by two experienced managers and coaching teams to back him up.

I suspect he will be a mainstay in our midfield this season, although Gibbs will be a player.

Mclean is crap, and we'd be infinitely better off shipping him out and putting somebody useful in. He offers us pretty much nothing, every week. He is a jack of all trades and master of none. Definition of a mediocre player and the fact he is a mainstay and hasnt been replaced is exactly the reason we can never establish ourselves in the top flight. If we cant do better than mclean in midfield, then we wont be staying in the prem should we go up again. Genuinely baffled as to why he is picked.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

He should be hitting the target every time and scoring 9/10

Tonight was his 1/10. So no sweat😅

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

Kenny was the senior pro you’d expect to take a penalty on the pitch. He should be hitting the target every time and scoring 9/10. Not Smiths fault was the obvious choice for first one.

Put your faith in mclean and you reap what you sow.

12 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I don’t recall Sutcliffe . Did he have a brother from Yorkshire? 

🤦‍♂️ I blame autocorrect and scotch.

Or maybe there's some freudian link at play, Sutch murdered our chances as much as...

...I'll leave it there.

• Haha 1

Just now, canarydan23 said:

🤦‍♂️ I blame autocorrect and scotch.

Or maybe there's some freudian link at play, Sutch murdered our chances as much as...

...I'll leave it there.

But didn't bury it? 😉

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Mclean is crap, and we'd be infinitely better off shipping him out and putting somebody useful in. He offers us pretty much nothing, every week. He is a jack of all trades and master of none. Definition of a mediocre player and the fact he is a mainstay and hasnt been replaced is exactly the reason we can never establish ourselves in the top flight. If we cant do better than mclean in midfield, then we wont be staying in the prem should we go up again. Genuinely baffled as to why he is picked.

Again, he's far from crap but he's not a Premier League midfielder.

He is a proven championship title winner though, the league we are in, and would get in pretty much every other championship side.

It's why one of our most successful managers in recent times delivering the best football played him regularly,  and its why another experienced manager and Premier League winning first team coach continue to pick him.

It's also why when you speak to first team players or ex pros away from the camera, or conveniently on radio Norfolk, they all put McLean in their side.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Hope not, midfield was instantly better when McLean came on.

I'll take your word for it as I didn't watch any of it.

Haters will say it was 2-1 when he came on mind you.

I'm not a hater, I happen to think McLean, whilst one of the worst EPL midfielders going, is a very good Championship midfielder. However, with the likes of Sara, Nunez and Hayden, when fit, I'd rather give them a chance given the potential they have to play at a higher level. Whereas we know (most of us) McLean can't. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

100% - the guy scored in a shoot out for Scotland, why shouldn’t he be trusted with a Pen for us?  Moaning for the sake of it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I'll take your word for it as I didn't watch any of it.

Haters will say it was 2-1 when he came on mind you.

I'm not a hater, I happen to think McLean, whilst one of the worst EPL midfielders going, is a very good Championship midfielder. However, with the likes of Sara, Nunez and Hayden, when fit, I'd rather give them a chance given the potential they have to play at a higher level. Whereas we know (most of us) McLean can't. 

Yeah, being all signings under Smith you'd imagine if they deserve to start ahead of McLean they will. Personally more impressed with Gibbs than Sara

Just now, hogesar said:

Yeah, being all signings under Smith you'd imagine if they deserve to start ahead of McLean they will. Personally more impressed with Gibbs than Sara

I haven't seen enough of either, but if we've spent all that cash on someone no better than a young un we had already, even more serious questions need directing Webber's way.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I thought Gibbs was top draw today.

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

I haven't seen enough of either, but if we've spent all that cash on someone no better than a young un we had already, even more serious questions need directing Webber's way.

I'm basing it on today. But since Gibbs was another Webber signing I'm not sure he'll be overly concerned with any questioning.

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Again, he's far from crap but he's not a Premier League midfielder.

He is a proven championship title winner though, the league we are in, and would get in pretty much every other championship side.

It's why one of our most successful managers in recent times delivering the best football played him regularly,  and its why another experienced manager and Premier League winning first team coach continue to pick him.

It's also why when you speak to first team players or ex pros away from the camera, or conveniently on radio Norfolk, they all put McLean in their side.

Yes, he’s won two championship medals. That doesn’t mean he’s a player that nearly guarantees you a tilt at the title if he's in your side. In both championship title campaigns, McLean was replaceable. Lots of other average championship players could’ve filled the role he was asked to do. 

Most of our best free flowing football in 18/19 was before Leitner got injured, and McLean came into the side. 

In 20/21 we won the league because we had Buendia and Skipp, not because we had Kenny McLean. 

The fact he has two title winning medals is almost irrelevant. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

100% - the guy scored in a shoot out for Scotland, why shouldn’t he be trusted with a Pen for us?  Moaning for the sake of it.

funnily enough he took the first one at Spurs in the FA Cup too – and missed. (not saying that's a reason for him not to take one, btw)

Just now, hogesar said:

I'm basing it on today. But since Gibbs was another Webber signing I'm not sure he'll be overly concerned with any questioning.

Does that excuse it?

RATIONAL PERSON: Why did you spend all that money on Sara to watch him play second fiddle to someone we already had on the books?

WEBBER: You mean someone I signed?

NOT SO RATIONAL PERSON: Great point Webber, you were right to spend £9 million on him!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Yes, he’s won two championship medals. That doesn’t mean he’s a player that nearly guarantees you a tilt at the title if he's in your side. In both championship title campaigns, McLean was replaceable. Lots of other average championship players could’ve filled the role he was asked to do. 

Most of our best free flowing football in 18/19 was before Leitner got injured, and McLean came into the side. 

In 20/21 we won the league because we had Buendia and Skipp, not because we had Kenny McLean. 

The fact he has two title winning medals is almost irrelevant. 

On its own it doesn't have to mean a great deal but with the rest of the evidence including 3 goals and 6 assists in 1300 championship minutes the first time round, that's a little different to average.

Also, just my personal opinion but I think members of the squad, ex pros and 2x management staff are a more reliable judge than a few forum posters who have had generally had a need for some form of scapegoat regardless.

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Does that excuse it?

RATIONAL PERSON: Why did you spend all that money on Sara to watch him play second fiddle to someone we already had on the books?

WEBBER: You mean someone I signed?

NOT SO RATIONAL PERSON: Great point Webber, you were right to spend £9 million on him!

I liked your premature suggesting in regards to questioning Webber purely based on my own assessment of a singular cup game, because I thought you were joking.

The Panenka viewed from the Barclay.

Caution - contains images of little monsters giving it large.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

On its own it doesn't have to mean a great deal but with the rest of the evidence including 3 goals and 6 assists in 1300 championship minutes the first time round, that's a little different to average.

Also, just my personal opinion but I think members of the squad, ex pros and 2x management staff are a more reliable judge than a few forum posters who have had generally had a need for some form of scapegoat regardless.

I don’t see Kenny McLean as a scapegoat. Every successful team needs a player like him.. but he is also the type of player that is replaceable. The problem is, now we’ve lost our top operators for this level, McLeans limitations are badly exposed, and whilst those players are replaced and brought up to speed, McLean is being asked to fulfill a bigger role than he’s capable of. 

Just now, hogesar said:

I liked your premature suggesting in regards to questioning Webber purely based on my own assessment of a singular cup game, because I thought you were joking.

I'd like to introduce you to a word in the English language.

Hypothetical. 

Such topics are often discussed on online message boards. 

For clarity, I think Sara will be a much more important player for us than Gibbs. 

If (a word often used in hypothetical discussions) that prediction is wrong and Gibbs plays 40+ games and Sara 4 despite being fit, he'll be filed in the burgeoning draw of Webber's expensive flops.

I'm sure you'd agree?

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

I'd like to introduce you to a word in the English language.

Hypothetical. 

Such topics are often discussed on online message boards. 

For clarity, I think Sara will be a much more important player for us than Gibbs. 

If (a word often used in hypothetical discussions) that prediction is wrong and Gibbs plays 40+ games and Sara 4 despite being fit, he'll be filed in the burgeoning draw of Webber's expensive flops.

I'm sure you'd agree?

I mean there's also the possibility they play in the same side. Or they each play 17 games.  Or Sara gets injured. Hypothetically seems pointless at this stage.

It seemed a bit of a desperate jump to go from me personally saying I was more impressed with Gibbs to you starting to talk about asking questions of Webber. Even hypothetically,  it's a bit of a leap.