Pyro Pete

The Cost Of Living Crisis

There's still plenty of money around. The eateries in Norwich city centre always seem really busy on a lunchtime whenever I go there. Mrs Pants said Notcutts restaurant was rammed this morning with pensioners getting their £8.50 breakfast. 

It's up to families to help each other too.

I'm presently trying to find out (from Scottish Power) what the Hell's going on with my leccy bills. Using the graphical information from their app I reckon my day/night split is roughly 50-50 (probably nearer 45-55; this makes sense because we heat water at night via immersion & there's been no space heating) but there bill says it's nearer 72-28. The overall consumption tallies, but obviously the split makes a huge difference to the bill.

The last bill shows zero consumption at the night rate, which is incomprehensible (I've checked the relevant hours & our timers are well within limits).

When we tried to set up a DD the rates quoted were astronomical - about 32p/unit at night & around 60p daytime - so that's out the window & finally we've just been sent a month's bill with a night rate about 13p & day rate under40p!! The energy cap hasn't changed so that doesn't explain the sudden drop. We did get a substantial subsidy as well, no idea why.

This has been going on for months. Nothing happened until I complained to Citizen's Advice & then Trading Standards (when CA tried to connect me all I got was  "congratulations on taking our survey...."   😡😡🤬) I then got a phone call from a very nice lady & thought progress was being made. Ha bloody ha.

I'll spare you the ramifications (if anyone's still there) but I'm now in the process of taking load tests (as they requested) from the smart meter (outside, you can't do it on the user terminal) which are bearing out my original estimate of the day/night split.

This has caused me hours of peeing around & stress. I feel pretty murderous. What doesn't help is that my lovely green electricity is costing THREE AND A HALF TIMES as much as dirty old gas & oil would per unit. Well, I think it is, it depends what Scottish Bloody Power are feeling like charging me this week.

Looking at solar plus batteries but prices seemed to have rocketed lately; I wonder why? So we're going to hold off for a while. The situation seems to be a bit like that with computers a while ago, i.e. the technology's improving rapidly in terms of both performance & price, so we'll see where it's heading next year as I suspect price fundamentals are pointing downwards.

Couple of interesting links if you (like me) wonder about the veracity of climate change forecasts:

https://judithcurry.com/2021/08/18/the-ipccs-attribution-methodology-is-fundamentally-flawed/

Edited by ron obvious
  • Like 1

On 27/11/2022 at 10:38, FenwayFrank said:

Still haven’t turned my heating on, I do have an open fireplace though, can’t beat burning fossil fuels 😁

I'm also now using cardboard I would normally chuck in the recycling bin, as fire lighters, since I learnt we ship most of our cardboard halfway round the world to dispose of it. 

The answer is blowing in the wind.

Could you all please huff and puff a bit because we are getting almost nothing from the wind farms at the moment.  Low pressure coming in from the west will gradually improve the situation.

1.75% from wind    58% from gas. 

Also getting some back from the continent at last.

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

The answer is blowing in the wind.

Could you all please huff and puff a bit because we are getting almost nothing from the wind farms at the moment.  Low pressure coming in from the west will gradually improve the situation.

1.75% from wind    58% from gas. 

Also getting some back from the continent at last.

You can have some of our wind. Apart from today, I normally have to retrieve the garden furniture from the bottom of the garden. Our windmills look like Bomber Harris is sending off another raid on Dresden.

• Haha 1

Was paying £80 per month by DD for combined Gas and Electric with British Gas. Just had an email , new monthly DD will be £206. 

• Sad 2

39 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Was paying £80 per month by DD for combined Gas and Electric with British Gas. Just had an email , new monthly DD will be £206. 

I wish,

Currently paying £250 + £66 / month for G + E. and that IS with the solar panels factored in!

Edited by SteveN8458

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

My DD for dual power is now £180 per month. Last year it was £99.

Yep, we are dual with EDF and ours has been £175 before the hike. At one time we would be in credit by the autumn but I doubt it this year even though my tariff will be the same until August 2023.

But we are getting the £66 knocked off.

Edited by keelansgrandad

22 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

You need to bite their hands off. £6.64 a day is pretty good according to my smart meter!

My dual power deal with Scottish Power ended in May when it was about £103 a month. I kept looking at the best deal ( this was before Ukraine war etc) prices kept fluctuating so I thought I'd get a better deal nearer the time. Oh no, I now pay £277 a month, mind you I just looked and I'm nearly £1000 in credit but hey're talking about bigger than expected prices next year. 

I'm using my woodburner a lot more.

Also, time to submit meter readings.

Life's a b.astard son. As my mother used to say.

*Well, that's put a dent in that, now £655 in credit.

It seems to be electricity that's gone up massively in price?

**It's not even frickin cold yet...

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow
  • Sad 1

Here is everything that is wrong in life. I get so angry and want to to fail in everything she does. Who and what the hell does she think she is. Probably a bit of a ****.

Luisa Zissman (??) has branded NHS workers “irresponsible” and “jumped up t****” in a brutal rant, following plans to go on strike over poor pay.

The former Apprentice contestant, 35, let rip onto medical staff as she said they knew what they would earn entering the profession, and should “do something else”.

Luisa gave the shocking rant on her LuAnna podcast, saying: “When you’re in this industry it’s completely irresponsible to strike and put people’s lives at risk. Sorry, it’s unacceptable.

“You have a child that’s waiting for a transplant and that kid doesn’t get that heart because of some f****** jumped-up t****.

“It just annoys me, people striking in this type of career, I think it’s really irresponsible and cruel and goes against everything by the way that they should do in that industry.”

Despite her angry words, Luisa acknowledged that NHS staff certainly deserve a substantially increased wage, considering the important and life-saving job they do, and shared her support for the cause of the strike.

Luisa tied the knot with Irish businessman Andrew Collins, who is worth an estimated £39 million, in 2015, after an extravagant proposal with a £1.4 million eight-carat diamond ring, during a romantic Paris dinner.

Luisa’s lengthy rant comes after she showed off her incredible mansion shared with husband Andrew and her children in Hertfordshire in October.

The mum-pf-three showed off her stunning property on Instagram as she informed followers her home was undergoing a dramatic makeover, and revealed her refurbished cinema room, with black sofas, dimmed lights and a projector to screen films.

Just what is it with blowing a whistle while striking, let alone let off a coloured flare?.

Its not achieving anything, it’s just making an even bigger t*t of yourself than you already were. Shame they cannot choke on their whistles or set themselves alight with their flares.

1 hour ago, KernowCanary said:

This didn’t exactly happen and in 2007 The S*n printed a picture of a Frey Bentos pie saying this is what we will be living on due to the global recession.

Didn’t happen at all.

Nice Trumpism.

It did, but due to the various schemes the average bill that you pay does not exceed £2500. Of course we and our kids and our grandkids will still pay the additional £2000, it’s called extra taxes and loans. 
Your Trumpism therefore is very good as when the quote you have used in August was made, there was no government scheme in place.

1 hour ago, KernowCanary said:

Just what is it with blowing a whistle while striking, let alone let off a coloured flare?.

Its not achieving anything, it’s just making an even bigger t*t of yourself than you already were. Shame they cannot choke on their whistles or set themselves alight with their flares.

I guess you will be booing and insulting the NHS workers striking this week then ? We will not just be on strike for a living wage, but to get back the nhs that everybody wanted. 
If you think that ambulance drivers should go on shift, pick up a patient then sit outside a hospital for between 4 and 12 hours and nurses should work 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week, all because of no real funding and lack of staff, then fair play. If the strikes do no good, then I am afraid even more will leave in their droves. 

Again there’s little reason other than profiteering as to why energy prices remain so high! Capitalism gone mad and in reality it’s down to the governments to stop this! It’s all because of the war in Ukraine! Is it really? Strange world we live in, price of oil back at reasonable prices, gas production kept at levels which we have more capacity and yet renewable and nuclear still produces the majority of our network, gas kicks in on higher demands yet more people are using electric overnight to wash, tumble and other as we change our demand on use (a good thing for the environment) yet still very high prices compared to where things were, caught in a spiral of inflation, interest rates and wages increases, until this cycle can be broken we’re in for years of unaffordable escalation until it goes bang!

Edited by Indy

13 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

This didn’t exactly happen and in 2007 The S*n printed a picture of a Frey Bentos pie saying this is what we will be living on due to the global recession.

Didn’t happen at all.

Whilst it didn’t happen, it’s because pressure was put on the government to step up support and borrow from tomorrow to help pay the bills today. The bills have still doubled essentially though and as things stand are due to nearly double next year without more help.

Frey Bentos pies are a luxury anyway, be lucky to afford the energy to heat one of those bad boys up soon!

• Like 2

Thanks to Liz's mini budget my mortgage went up £700p/m overnight, which has been compounded by the increase cost of electricity and heating oil (no gas here). Food bill is up, daughter's nursery bill is up and even little bills throughout the month are all going up by a few quid here and there, it all adds up.

I'm really not surprised nurses are striking, I ended up in A&E a couple of weeks ago as I developed a kidney stone whilst on holiday at Centre Parcs, i arrived at West Suffolk hospital (Bury) at midnight and didn't get seen by a doctor until 10am after a night of writhing around in the waiting room in utter agony, they simply didn't have any more nurses or doctors to do anything. Every experience I have with the NHS is the same, the people are wonderful and the care they provide is superb, they just don't have enough people or enough resources and there's too many people who need it, demand simply outstrips supply. The fact that nurses are working in that situation and then relying on food banks or cant pay their mortgages is an absolute disgrace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The NHS is one of the greatest institutions in the world. Treatment at source with no thought of can you pay.

Its an annoyance to Governments and they should be ashamed of themselves. How about a referendum that we scrap our nuclear weapons and put the money into the NHS?

It should be one of the easiest departments to fund each year. But they would rather not. Surely it was a more important question than  Brexit.

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The NHS is one of the greatest institutions in the world. Treatment at source with no thought of can you pay.

Its an annoyance to Governments and they should be ashamed of themselves. How about a referendum that we scrap our nuclear weapons and put the money into the NHS?

It should be one of the easiest departments to fund each year. But they would rather not. Surely it was a more important question than  Brexit.

I don't think there's any need to scrap the nukes, and with global stability in the place where it is, I wouldn't be too keen on the idea. But when £37billion can just disappear in the Track and Trace debacle, serious questions need to be raised about how much taxpayer money is being pissed away at all levels of government rather than getting to the places it needs. The NHS isn't immune from that, the regional trust model is designed to syphon money away from frontline services, introduce level after level of bloated management and administration and make it easier to privatise as much of the NHS as possible and the entire thing needs to be scrapped, everything re-nationalised, superfluous management stripped away and bulk buying and hiring power restored. 

4 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Thanks to Liz's mini budget my mortgage went up £700p/m overnight, which has been compounded by the increase cost of electricity and heating oil (no gas here). Food bill is up, daughter's nursery bill is up and even little bills throughout the month are all going up by a few quid here and there, it all adds up.

I'm really not surprised nurses are striking, I ended up in A&E a couple of weeks ago as I developed a kidney stone whilst on holiday at Centre Parcs, i arrived at West Suffolk hospital (Bury) at midnight and didn't get seen by a doctor until 10am after a night of writhing around in the waiting room in utter agony, they simply didn't have any more nurses or doctors to do anything. Every experience I have with the NHS is the same, the people are wonderful and the care they provide is superb, they just don't have enough people or enough resources and there's too many people who need it, demand simply outstrips supply. The fact that nurses are working in that situation and then relying on food banks or cant pay their mortgages is an absolute disgrace.

It is a somewhat seperate point but the early years childcare provision in this country is a disgrace. 

The cost of putting a kid into nursery is so prohibitive but most couples can't afford to have one of them not working. 

3 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I don't think there's any need to scrap the nukes, and with global stability in the place where it is, I wouldn't be too keen on the idea. But when £37billion can just disappear in the Track and Trace debacle, serious questions need to be raised about how much taxpayer money is being pissed away at all levels of government rather than getting to the places it needs. The NHS isn't immune from that, the regional trust model is designed to syphon money away from frontline services, introduce level after level of bloated management and administration and make it easier to privatise as much of the NHS as possible and the entire thing needs to be scrapped, everything re-nationalised, superfluous management stripped away and bulk buying and hiring power restored. 

The US will never get rid of their nukes while Russia has them. Why does anyone else need to blow up the world?

17 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

The US will never get rid of their nukes while Russia has them. Why does anyone else need to blow up the world?

i'm pretty sure Ukraine wished it hadn't given its nukes to Russia for a piece of paper guaranteeing its security.

Relying on the US is all very well, but its own political stability is still a bit worrying for my tastes.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1