Pyro Pete

The Cost Of Living Crisis

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its Putin's illegal war that is causing this

Putin isn't responsible for 12 years of austerity.

It’s absolutely scaremongering how they use percentages to show how much each product in supermarkets has gone up, instead of actual pounds and pence.

Still, if it was pounds and pence it wouldn’t be as scary to see, the MSM agencies love scaremongering and they live off it as everyone click baits more and watch the news more. Even 5 News have a dedicated “Cost of Living Crisis” segment.

3 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

It’s absolutely scaremongering how they use percentages to show how much each product in supermarkets has gone up, instead of actual pounds and pence.

Still, if it was pounds and pence it wouldn’t be as scary to see, the MSM agencies love scaremongering and they live off it as everyone click baits more and watch the news more. Even 5 News have a dedicated “Cost of Living Crisis” segment.

That how inflation is displayed since forever. It's also the only way that even remotely makes sense.

Had a look at my power cost for October. Due to the weather I used a fair bit less gas so with the 66 quid rebate the total monthly cost is a little less than last year. Had I used as much gas as in 2021 the cost would have been about 50% more.

Edited by ricardo

On 27/09/2022 at 23:42, KernowCanary said:

“Where the other two?!”

”WHAT OTHER TWO!?”

”The two loonies from next door, they were here a monent ago!”

”What!?, here!, in my flat!?”

”Aye!. Large as life!”

”UUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!”

To think Rottweiler was the games teacher in Kes, then went onto that role as a violent neighbour for Richie and Eddie!🤣🤣🤣.

What makes it even more funnier is who they chose to steal it off from!🤣🤣🤣.

Bit delayed in joining in here, but Bottom is my chosen Mastermind subject (second choice:  a PhD study in 'Happy Clapper Vs Pant Wetters: A social anthropology').

He (Brian Glover) also had a prominent role in Aliens 3, amongst other things.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0323093/

• Haha 1

On 26/10/2022 at 19:25, Pyro Pete said:

Putin isn't responsible for 12 years of austerity.

He’s responsible for all the cr@p that has followed since lockdowns ended.

The cost of living didn’t overall rise by 75 percent in October like the so-called “think tank” brigade were scaremongering us with after all.

On 28/10/2022 at 17:09, Orly said:

Bit delayed in joining in here, but Bottom is my chosen Mastermind subject (second choice:  a PhD study in 'Happy Clapper Vs Pant Wetters: A social anthropology').

He (Brian Glover) also had a prominent role in Aliens 3, amongst other things.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0323093/

And the games teacher in Kes pretending to be Bobby Charlton!🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

On 31/10/2022 at 15:40, canarydan23 said:

Nah, otherwise their GDP growth would be as bad as ours.

The EUs seems worse though, but I’m not blaming leaving the EU for it, it’s Tory greed and making up ridiculous taxes these past 12 years.

On 31/10/2022 at 13:36, Pyro Pete said:

Teachers now voting on strike action:

I bet the word “solidarity” will be pedalled out all the time in support of them….. Still, I find these sort of strikes easy to support, not trains or postal services when they are much more heavily relied on by the public, such as people needing to get to work when they want to (unlike the strikers) and elderly people who don’t know how to use a computer to send things and only know how to post a letter.

15 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

The EUs seems worse though, but I’m not blaming leaving the EU for it, it’s Tory greed and making up ridiculous taxes these past 12 years.

The EUs doesn't seem worse. It isn't worse;

GDP of G7 economies in Q2 2022 compared with pre pandemic level of Q4 2019

On 04/09/2022 at 17:50, Creative Midfielder said:

Of course it would also help if we had a Government that wasn't utterly incompetent - they have known for years that our privatised energy market was completely broken and have done absolutely nothing about it.

Successive governments, of various colours, stretching back about 50 years since the last time we had an energy crisis like this.

Labour investing nothing in nuclear energy in their 13 years, the Tory's have done a lot more in getting the ball rolling on that since getting in.

If anything I think that 13 years of Labour is more to blame for our dreadful energy mix. That said, Cameron came in and cut all the green subsidies which would have seen more people living in adequately insulated homes.

No matter who you vote for the government always gets in, as they say.

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm assuming that is pretending that the UK wasn't in the EU in Q4 2019, because the actual GDP of the EU fell by about £3 trillion on 31st January 2020.

7 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Definitely switching off the TV tonight unless it’s football.

21 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

I bet the word “solidarity” will be pedalled out all the time in support of them….. Still, I find these sort of strikes easy to support, not trains or postal services when they are much more heavily relied on by the public, such as people needing to get to work when they want to (unlike the strikers) and elderly people who don’t know how to use a computer to send things and only know how to post a letter.

What about parents who need to "get to work" but one of them now won't be able to because their 5 year old kid is going to be at home, I find it odd that you've managed to distinguish between the two.

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm assuming that is pretending that the UK wasn't in the EU in Q4 2019, because the actual GDP of the EU fell by about £3 trillion on 31st January 2020.

Yep, it dropped by 5.7% across 2020, but recovered by 5.4% in 2021 and then exceeded it's pre-pandemic GDP at some point this year.

Obviously the above graph only considers countries that operate the Euro, I'm not sure how it would be affected by including the likes of Poland, Bulgaria et al but I doubt it would alter things significantly.  But the fact is, the EU has enjoyed significant more economic growth than the UK post pandemic and throughout the war in Ukraine. I posit that ours is relatively weak in comparison largely because of Brexit.

"The UK economy is the only one in the G7 that has not recovered to pre-covid levels" - Stephanie Flanders, Head of Bloomberg Economics responding to today's BoE prediction of a longer UK recession than 2008.

The only issue not shared with the rest of the G7 is Brexit.  Covid is a red herring.  But even the BoE won't say so.

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

But even the BoE won't say so.

Starmer won't either. This is the time to start making a case for closer relationship with the EU, whether that be customs union membership or even inclusion in the single market. He needs some cojones. Just stand up, present the myriad data that shows the Tory Brexit has been an unmitigated disaster and tell the country we need a better relationship with the EU. The boon it would give our economy could significantly help with the cost of living crisis. Even just having an opposition leader with a healthy poll lead advocating for single market and/or customs union membership would be a massive boost to the markets.

• Like 1