Pyro Pete

The Cost Of Living Crisis

32 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

I have now had my solar panels and battery online since Monday. I can happily report that beside the (outrageous) standing charge, I have not paid for any imported electricity. I have exported some, but not a huge amount. 

I would say that this last week has been  typical late summer/early autumn fayre. 

I wonder how the panels will be performing in a month?  

What size solar/battery have you installed?

2 hours ago, SteveN8458 said:

What size solar/battery have you installed?

4.5kw array, but it's split and optimised with a 5kWh battery. 

Mrs KG had a glass of wine in Singapore Airport and it was nigh on £13. Luckily it was only £12 at Heathrow.

What cost of living crisis? Its just greedy bustards jumping on the bandwagon.

• Like 1

Going to experiment with a heated throw instead of leaving radiators on for prolonged periods. After all, the main issue is me staying warm. And a heated throw will still emit some heat into the room, but most of it will be on the person needing it! 😄

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Going to experiment with a heated throw instead of leaving radiators on for prolonged periods. After all, the main issue is me staying warm. And a heated throw will still emit some heat into the room, but most of it will be on the person needing it! 😄

😄 Following similiar logic, maybe give an infra-red heater a go - haven't tried them myself but I know some people who swear by them, in a good way 😄

37 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

I’m going to do what Richie and Eddie did and steal next doors gas supply 🤣🤣🤣

At the time, that was absolutely side splitting comedy! 👍

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

At the time, that was absolutely side splitting comedy! 👍

Watched it last night and couldn’t stop laughing!🤣🤣🤣.

”GASMAN!, GASMAN!, GASMAN!”

“Do you have somebody who looks after you?, because I need to see them because I need to read your meter!”

”Who is it darling?”

”ITS THE GASMAN!”

”Yes…. I think we’ve established that now!”

”Well… don’t let him staying out in the cold dreamboat, show him in!”.

Edited by KernowCanary
  • Thanks 1

Just had an email from Scottish Power saying my gas is going up by around 5 quid a week and electric by around 3 quid a week. So 400 plus quid a year. That seems a lot less than I was led to believe. Surely some mistake somewhere.

16 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Just had an email from Scottish Power saying my gas is going up by around 5 quid a week and electric by around 3 quid a week. So 400 plus quid a year. That seems a lot less than I was led to believe. Surely some mistake somewhere.

No, Thick Lizzie Big Baps has thrown a few ££'s at the problem till March.

Octopus just sent me an amusing email that they reduced my DD to £3 a month as they're obliged to take the grants into account (I was putting £70 a month in on DD, the aim is to keep it balanced throughout the year and build up a nice cushion before winter comes around).

So I just upped it back to £60. That deal of mine is fixed until next August and hell only knows what prices will be like in August next year, so I just want to put myself several hundred ahead.

It is a worry. Our energy company notification talks of £3500 based on usage (but the figures look OTT). I'm going to do what an old client of mine used to do when I worked in housing many years ago (lovely fella in his mid 80s) who said he never put his heating on from May 1st until 30th September. Never managed to do what he did as yet (it's cold Oop North) but we are 4 days from doing so this year.

A blanket and a former army extreme cold winter fleece has done the job when much colder this year. Might try and get through October too. I see it as a way of using less (for the greater good) but also because I'm probably a bit of a tight sod🙂

Anyway, this was posted on Twitter. Quite apt really.

Screenshot_2022-09-14-19-14-21-633_com.twitter.android.jpg.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ricardo said:

Maybe like me you built up a bit of a surplus so it’s compensating for that? Mine isn’t going up much and with the 67 quid a month it’s actually going down. The rate per kWh is up obviously though.

I'm a big big believer in heating the person not the house. I basically have an old jacket that is supper warm but horribly tatty that I basically live in. On top of that I take a hot water bottle to bed. Thermostat is at 17.

21 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Octopus just sent me an amusing email that they reduced my DD to £3 a month as they're obliged to take the grants into account (I was putting £70 a month in on DD, the aim is to keep it balanced throughout the year and build up a nice cushion before winter comes around).

So I just upped it back to £60. That deal of mine is fixed until next August and hell only knows what prices will be like in August next year, so I just want to put myself several hundred ahead.

Do Octopus do one DD for both fuels or seperate one. I'm curious as I expect my electric DD to reduce, but the gas one to stay the same.

On 26/09/2022 at 19:03, ricardo said:

I had an email from EDF. My tariff is locked until August 2023. They tell me I do not even have to give a meter reading.

Means testing is a contentious idea but it does seem unfair that my energy is staying the same for nearly a year and yet I will be getting the £400 and of course as an OAP, the winter fuel allowance.

2 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Do Octopus do one DD for both fuels or seperate one. I'm curious as I expect my electric DD to reduce, but the gas one to stay the same.

Couldn't tell you, I'm afraid - I only have electric in this apartment.

Edited by TheGunnShow

“We don’t use gas, do we Eddie?”

“Don’t even know what it is mate, what is gas?”

“Don’t spoil it”

“How do you keep it so warm in here then!?”

”We make love!….. not together you understand, on our own!”

”Well I guess it takes all sorts!”

Edited by KernowCanary
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

“We don’t use gas, do we Eddie?”

“Don’t even know what it is mate, what is gas?”

“Don’t spoil it”

“How do you keep it so warm in here then!?”

”We make love!….. not together you understand, on our own!”

”Well I guess it takes all sorts!”

At the time, I laughed so hard, I almost done myself a mischief!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

At the time, I laughed so hard, I almost done myself a mischief!

“Where the other two?!”

”WHAT OTHER TWO!?”

”The two loonies from next door, they were here a monent ago!”

”What!?, here!, in my flat!?”

”Aye!. Large as life!”

”UUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!”

To think Rottweiler was the games teacher in Kes, then went onto that role as a violent neighbour for Richie and Eddie!🤣🤣🤣.

What makes it even more funnier is who they chose to steal it off from!🤣🤣🤣.

10 hours ago, 1902 said:

I'm a big big believer in heating the person not the house. I basically have an old jacket that is supper warm but horribly tatty that I basically live in. On top of that I take a hot water bottle to bed. Thermostat is at 17.

Heat the human not the house is one of Martín Lewis’ top tips. We have two heated throws and a third is on the way. It does mean it looks like an old people’s home in here in the evening now though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Heat the human not the house is one of Martín Lewis’ top tips. We have two heated throws and a third is on the way. It does mean it looks like an old people’s home in here in the evening now though.

We just look like we are in Michelin adverts.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wesforprimeminister said:

Agree partly with the whole heat the person thing but how have we as a country come to this, not being able to heat our own homes.

In fact we will end up cold and dirty as nobody will put the washing machine on or shower. And how many tumble dryers will be on Marketplace?

9 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

It's a good tip. And for many people your approach makes common sense and will save resources and money. The real worry is that people who are in good health and under the age of 75 can tolerate such measures but those older often cannot and have to have heat on. Like my mother in law (90) ...she has to have the heating. It would be dangerous for her if she didn't!

Even with government help it won't be enough for some not to be badly hit in the pocket. The cap at £2500 still has meant a £500 increase for the poorest people. Quite a sad human story and I just hope we don't hear of many shocking stories as winter comes.

Sterling rock bottom against the Dollar, Food and Energy prices sky rocketing, Inflation sky rocketing,  workers in various sectors planning strikes...feels like the 1970's again.

On top of that we lose Liz our head of state and we gain Liz our political leader who dumps highest tax level (lead balloon) and borrows money with exhuberance.

Its hard to say how much the huge influences of Brexit then Covid then Putin have had as opposed to Government actions as there has been and is global interference of course...but there are huge strains and pressures on everyday life right now. Am happy that im not a politician, all i and we in general can do is cut our own cloth if we can and need to and be kind to one another.

I work in the Revenues and Benefits section for two local authorities. We've just had an e-mail telling us that 13,500 of the residents across both authorities who were eligible to receive the £150 Energy Rebate Grant have not applied. The closing date has passed so we are going to credit their Council Tax account with £150 each.

It may be that most of these people would prefer to have the payment credited to their Council Tax account anyway although that is not the experience I have had with people who have made complaints about the application process.