Pyro Pete

The Cost Of Living Crisis

27 minutes ago, Herman said:

First step, get rid of the royal family. I'm pretty certain it keeps the ridiculous class divide going.

On Class – Gogwit's Blog

How many People actually give two s**** about the Monarchy though? You see people waving there flags out in streets during Royal Celebrations, but it feels to me just another reason to celebrate something, I don't remember any of my classmates caring during the Diamond Jubilee, it was just a Tea Party for most of them. The Royals have there uses mind very limited uses but still useful. Also I doubt the Panama Papers have helped any of 'em. I'd keep prince Charles, the rest, I don't care.

Edited by CrankyCanary

13 minutes ago, CrankyCanary said:

How many People actually give two s**** about the Monarchy though? You see people waving there flags out in streets during Royal Celebrations, but it feels to me just another reason to celebrate something, I don't remember any of my classmates caring during the Diamond Jubilee, it was just a Tea Party for most of them. The Royals have there uses mind very limited uses but still useful. Also I doubt the Panama Papers have helped any of 'em. I'd keep prince Charles, the rest, I don't care.

I feel it's a more subliminal, know your place, type of thing. Not as blatant as it once was, the end of empire helped finish that, but still there, emphasised during things like the jubilee celebrations. 

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

I feel it's a more subliminal, know your place, type of thing. Not as blatant as it once was, the end of empire helped finish that, but still there, emphasised during things like the jubilee celebrations. 

Do you mean the swaggering of Regal Wealth for all to see or something else?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CrankyCanary said:

Do you mean the swaggering of Regal Wealth for all to see or something else?

Yes, that is one of the main things. 

52 minutes ago, CrankyCanary said:

And the other things from you pov?

Look at the way the royal reporters behave, obsequious, extremely deferential, hushed tones etc. Why are we still being shown that this is right? It doesn't feel like the behaviour of a modern, confident country. 

We are Nicholas Witchell. 

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Herman said:

Look at the way the royal reporters behave, obsequious, extremely deferential, hushed tones etc. Why are we still being shown that this is right? It doesn't feel like the behaviour of a modern, confident country. 

We are Nicholas Witchell. 

let's just wait till Liz is gone and be a Republic.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CrankyCanary said:

If people want to keep the Royals in a purely ceremonial role then fine, something to keep bringing in American tourists - no problem.

But one of their 'limited uses' is actually the very important role of Head of State and in that role they are not useful but utterly useless - this has been the case for many years but was highlighted most vividly by the Queen's sanctioning Boris Johnson's illegal prorogation of Parliament.

She has been a great ambassador for this country over many years, and quite a boost to the tourism industry but in her most important role as the ultimate guardian of our 'democracy' she has been a total failure and I see nothing to suggest that the next generation of Royals will be any different.

Our whole 'democratic' system is dysfunctional and whilst the monarchy is only a small part of that it is a crucial part.

Until we have a proper Head of State with a written constitution and a genuinely democratic electoral system then I doubt there is going to be much, if any, escape from the very deep sh*t that the UK is currently in, both politically and economically.

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I wish someone would say to Charlie when he makes a speech, "Shut up, we don't want to hear from you. You speak from a point of privilege and succession. You are archaic, unnecessary and take up to much press and space with your dysfunctional family.

Keep cutting the odd ribbon and planting yet another tree. We will support you as there is an argument that what you represent does bring in income.

21 hours ago, SteveN8458 said:

Oh and while I'm posting, today my solar system has produced 15Kw of power (as of 14:24)

Do you remember your statement:

"Don't know if you've ever done a calculator to estimate your potential energy bill saving with a 4kw system but it will barely scratch the surface of our domestic energy needs"

My background load is a shade over 250w, the rest is exported (at 5p/kw). How does 5p/kw stack up against nuclear?

It wasn't that long ago that 250 watts would get you two light bulbs, that it's now enough to power a whole house shows how far we have come.

Can I ask the area of your panels and their orientation and their energy output over the last, say, week versus the demand from you house?

Edited by Barbe bleu

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I wish someone would say to Charlie when he makes a speech, "Shut up, we don't want to hear from you. You speak from a point of privilege and succession. You are archaic, unnecessary and take up to much press and space with your dysfunctional family.

Keep cutting the odd ribbon and planting yet another tree. We will support you as there is an argument that what you represent does bring in income.

When you say “we”, who do you mean exactly?  Because personally I’d prefer to hear from him instead of sanctimonious old lefty republicans.

3 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

When you say “we”, who do you mean exactly?  Because personally I’d prefer to hear from him instead of sanctimonious old lefty republicans.

You mean elected republicans.

10 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

If people want to keep the Royals in a purely ceremonial role then fine, something to keep bringing in American tourists - no problem.

But one of their 'limited uses' is actually the very important role of Head of State and in that role they are not useful but utterly useless - this has been the case for many years but was highlighted most vividly by the Queen's sanctioning Boris Johnson's illegal prorogation of Parliament.

She has been a great ambassador for this country over many years, and quite a boost to the tourism industry but in her most important role as the ultimate guardian of our 'democracy' she has been a total failure and I see nothing to suggest that the next generation of Royals will be any different.

Our whole 'democratic' system is dysfunctional and whilst the monarchy is only a small part of that it is a crucial part.

Until we have a proper Head of State with a written constitution and a genuinely democratic electoral system then I doubt there is going to be much, if any, escape from the very deep sh*t that the UK is currently in, both politically and economically.

Oh my God, this has to be the most disingenuous argument against the monarchy, from a republican point of view, ever. You're literally arguing that the Queen should have stepped in on a relatively minor, and unprovable point in a piece of political gamesmanship because it just so happened that it suited what you'd have liked to have seen happen and then implying the existence of the monarchy means we're not a proper democracy. Talk about disjointed. 

Written constitutions are no panacea to anything. On the contrary, they can often mean you're restricted to antiquated rules centuries old and can never evolve: the second amendment of the US constitution and the constitutional role of the Catholic church in Ireland are two such examples of things that each country would be well rid of, but is unable to do anything about. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Even its own supporters have little faith in Truss or Sunak.

Exclusive by Independent:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-leader-truss-sunak-energy-b2153346.html

This quote rang out;

"And the Labour chair of the Commons business committee, Darren Jones, predicted that the incoming government would be forced into offering across-the-board handouts because it lacked the data and IT systems to target help effectively."

In all the years of penny pinching austerity, wages stagnating and tax hikes there is nothing, absolutely zero, to show for it. They have spent nothing on updating or improving the infrastructure of this country and have left us in the most vulnerable position since probably the last war.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Herman said:

This quote rang out;

"And the Labour chair of the Commons business committee, Darren Jones, predicted that the incoming government would be forced into offering across-the-board handouts because it lacked the data and IT systems to target help effectively."

In all the years of penny pinching austerity, wages stagnating and tax hikes there is nothing, absolutely zero, to show for it. They have spent nothing on updating or improving the infrastructure of this country and have left us in the most vulnerable position since probably the last war.

The country’s in a financial mess for two main reasons:  

1.  The costs of dealing with the Covid pandemic and the associated impact of prolonged periods of lockdown resulting in reduced productivity.

2.  Putin’s cynical invasion of Ukraine causing massive volatility in world fuel markets which impact the price of everything else, together with the direct costs of imposing sanctions on Russia.

As for our own energy supplies, we’re still a long way off being self-sufficient.  A combination solely of wind and solar will never provide 100% of our requirement and we’re such a long way behind in commissioning new nuclear facilities that we’ll have no option but to continue burning fossil fuels for years to come.  But thanks to the Green lobby we’ve failed miserably with exploiting the shale gas reserves under our feet and have left ourselves horribly exposed to the huge price rises in the world energy market.  In truth, the eco-activists are probably rather pleased with the current financial crisis and the huge rises in energy bills because it will force people to reduce their power consumption which surely is what they want.

29 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

But thanks to the Green lobby we’ve failed miserably with exploiting the shale gas reserves under our feet and have left ourselves horribly exposed to the huge price rises in the world energy market.  In truth, the eco-activists are probably rather pleased with the current financial crisis and the huge rises in energy bills because it will force people to reduce their power consumption which surely is what they want.

Aye...it's all the Green's fault.

Nothing to do with the whole energy market system. There's lots of articles explaining exactly why our costs are so much higher. For once it isn't mainly to do with Brexit. Still, you are right in us not being self sufficient and also about the pressure because of the Ukraine war. But you've nicely ignored our privatised market. Overseen by a pathetic regulator.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/19/energy/energy-prices-uk-europe-explainer/index.html

As I've mentioned before you're someone who 'gaslights'. You tell others (posters) they've got it wrong because the truth hurts you to accept it. Gas lighting is an even more apt word to describe some of the stuff you post given the subject of gas prices too (yes I will accept your reluctant or more likely, sarcastic handclap for my attempt at dry humour).

Keep telling yourself that all greens will be happy. Greens are the scum of the earth don't you know. Like those nasty left wingers too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

The country’s in a financial mess for many main reasons and most point in the direction of the conservative party:  

1. Unnecessary ideological austerity drive, cutting funding to every institution and weakening every part of the state's infrastructure.

2. Unnecessary brexit. To cover up your failures you and your mates helped persuade the populace that everything was the EU's fault. We are now out of the largest free trade zone in the world with the financial impacts hitting home.

3. We have not invested anywhere near enough in new energy technologies, listening to fossil fuel lobbyists and shutting down any renewable projects because it was classed as "green crap".

4.  The costs of dealing with the Covid pandemic and the associated impact of prolonged periods of lockdown resulting in reduced productivity.

5.  Putin’s cynical invasion of Ukraine causing massive volatility in world fuel markets which impact the price of everything else, together with the direct costs of imposing sanctions on Russia.

As for our own energy supplies, we’re still a long way off being self-sufficient.  A combination solely of wind and solar will never provide 100% of our requirement and we’re such a long way behind in commissioning new nuclear facilities that we’ll have no option but to continue burning fossil fuels for years to come.  But thanks to the Green lobby we’ve failed miserably with exploiting the shale gas reserves under our feet and have left ourselves horribly exposed to the huge price rises in the world energy market.  In truth, the eco-activists are probably rather pleased with the current financial crisis and the huge rises in energy bills because it will force people to reduce their power consumption which surely is what they want.

You simply don't want to take any responsibility for any of the choices you have made. Hiding behind Putin and Covid doesn't work. We've seen what you have done to this country and more and more are seeing it.

And shale is neither cheap, clean or easy. It's another myth pushed by shills and lobbyists like Tice and others from the brexit crew.

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

It wasn't that long ago that 250 watts would get you two light bulbs, that it's now enough to power a whole house shows how far we have come.

Can I ask the area of your panels and their orientation and their energy output over the last, say, week versus the demand from you house?

Hi Bb,

Located in NR6 (Hellesdon)

Roof is orientated SS(and a little East 🙂 ) roof slope is near enough 45deg.

System is 13x300w with a 3600w inverter, so the output is capped at 3.6kw (instantaneous). each panel is 1650mm x 990mm which is about the same size as the early 250w panels (I think)

Daily Production numbers:

21/08:  20.3kw

22/08:  12.5kw

23/08:  13.9kw

24/08:  11.7kw

25/08:  4.5kw

26/08:  18.8kw

27/08:  13.3kw

As for usage, the best I can give you is 5500Kw/yr (from a 2020 bill).

To be honest, it has taken my wife a few years to get to grips with using the washing machine during the day rather than over night.

PM me if you want any more info. 🙂

I have, only recently, added a small meter c/w CT which is Bi-directional. this helps my wife see what power is actually available. So as far as she is concerned anything +ve is available for use FREE. If it is -ve, then can something be turned off. (I believe new systems have this feature, but ours was installed in 2018 and it was not available then 😞 )

26 minutes ago, Herman said:

You simply don't want to take any responsibility for any of the choices you have made. Hiding behind Putin and Covid doesn't work. We've seen what you have done to this country and more and more are seeing it.

And shale is neither cheap, clean or easy. It's another myth pushed by shills and lobbyists like Tice and others from the brexit crew.

If you’re going to quote me, please don’t deliberately add words to my comment to make it look as if I wrote them.  Please edit forthwith.

34 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Aye...it's all the Green's fault.

Nothing to do with the whole energy market system. There's lots of articles explaining exactly why our costs are so much higher. For once it isn't mainly to do with Brexit. Still, you are right in us not being self sufficient and also about the pressure because of the Ukraine war. But you've nicely ignored our privatised market. Overseen by a pathetic regulator.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/19/energy/energy-prices-uk-europe-explainer/index.html

As I've mentioned before you're someone who 'gaslights'. You tell others (posters) they've got it wrong because the truth hurts you to accept it. Gas lighting is an even more apt word to describe some of the stuff you post given the subject of gas prices too (yes I will accept your reluctant or more likely, sarcastic handclap for my attempt at dry humour).

Keep telling yourself that all greens will be happy. Greens are the scum of the earth don't you know. Like those nasty left wingers too.

Gaslight, gaslight, gaslight.  Change the record please.

5 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

If you’re going to quote me, please don’t deliberately add words to my comment to make it look as if I wrote them.  Please edit forthwith.

No. It's pretty obvious what you wrote as it is two posts above mine. Stop whining.

2 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Gaslight, gaslight, gaslight.  Change the record please.

Your views seem to match this one reading your comments above.

Anyone therefore disagreeing with you must be an apologist for Putin's war? That's the association he makes. Gas prices are due to the war and people are wrong in not defending "our freedoms".

That is the gist of your post on the causes. Number 2 after Covid. Not one word in the privatised gas market? I guess also it's the green lobby at fault for the sh1t being deposited in the seas? Nothing to do with private companies who put their profits above environmental considerations.

Let's look at your own words.. 

3 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

In truth, the eco-activists are probably rather pleased with the current financial crisis and the huge rises in energy bills

"In truth" eh?

Eco activists are rather pleased? 

Who are they? Who do you know is pleased about it?

What 'truth' can you point me to?

Stop trying to re-order facts to suit your own agenda. Or are you another poster on here simply to wind people up? Is that your main purpose? Jools used to do the same. I'm assuming it's for the sport.    People express their anger at something that they see as unfair and you try to turn that anger into something to be ashamed about. That seems to be your schtick.

The label fits you well enough it appears to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Your views seem to match this one reading your comments above.

Anyone therefore disagreeing with you must be an apologist for Putin's war? That's the association he makes. Gas prices are due to the war and people are wrong in not defending "our freedoms".

That is the gist of your post on the causes. Number 2 after Covid. Not one word in the privatised gas market? I guess also it's the green lobby at fault for the sh1t being deposited in the seas? Nothing to do with private companies who put their profits above environmental considerations.

Let's look at your own words.. 

"In truth" eh?

Eco activists are rather pleased? 

Who are they? Who do you know is pleased about it?

What 'truth' can you point me to?

Stop trying to re-order facts to suit your own agenda. Or are you another poster on here simply to wind people up? Is that your main purpose? Jools used to do the same. I'm assuming it's for the sport.    People express their anger at something that they see as unfair and you try to turn that anger into something to be ashamed about. That seems to be your schtick.

The label fits you well enough it appears to me.

I think you need a bit of a lie down or perhaps a nice cup of tea.

What MacKenzie completely, and knowing his history deliberately, ignores is that its Politicians that create wars and we, as people, have fcuk all to be grateful for.  Most people, that doesn't include Sun readers, do not want wars, conflicts, weapons or beligerence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

What MacKenzie completely, and knowing his history deliberately, ignores is that its Politicians that create wars and we, as people, have fcuk all to be grateful for.  Most people, that doesn't include Sun readers, do not want wars, conflicts, weapons or beligerence.

But when a dictator with history of hostile and aggressive action against his neighbours invades a sovereign nation almost on our doorstep should we just accept it?  We haven’t caused his invasion and we aren’t directly fighting against it.  What we’re doing is giving support to the invaded nation whilst imposing sanctions on Putin, which obviously comes at a price to us, and which the vast majority seemed to support at the time that they were announced.

8 hours ago, SteveN8458 said:

Hi Bb,

Located in NR6 (Hellesdon)

Roof is orientated SS(and a little East 🙂 ) roof slope is near enough 45deg.

System is 13x300w with a 3600w inverter, so the output is capped at 3.6kw (instantaneous). each panel is 1650mm x 990mm which is about the same size as the early 250w panels (I think)

Daily Production numbers:

21/08:  20.3kw

22/08:  12.5kw

23/08:  13.9kw

24/08:  11.7kw

25/08:  4.5kw

26/08:  18.8kw

27/08:  13.3kw

As for usage, the best I can give you is 5500Kw/yr (from a 2020 bill).

Cheers.  Panels have been on the 'maybe I'll do it list' for a while bit always been nervous of the real life results.

Sounds like you have the perfect set up for solar pv,  big roof pointing directly where it needs to be.

The figures above,   should they be kilowatt hours rather than kilowatts?

Edited by Barbe bleu

2 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

The figures above,   should they be kilowatt hours rather than kilowatts?

Yea, sorry 🙂

Today's is currently 20.2kwh, background covered from 06:40 to 18:40, peak instantaneous 3433.1w.

3600w is quite common from 11:00 to about 15:00, I think the best daily total is around 26/27Kwh.

Wife & daughter just back from 3 days in London, 3 load of washing today, all free 🙂🙂

Jan: 166.9Kwh

Feb: 209.8Kwh

March: 412.1Kwh

April: 505.3Kwh

May : 482.8Kwh

June : 553.3Kwh

July : 512.1Kwh

August : 464.5Kwh (to date)

HTH 🙂

Edited by SteveN8458
  • Like 1