Sign in to follow this  
Nexus_Canary

Lungi folk hero

Stand up Sorenson you have just been nominated as the latest player to be slagged off by some computer warriors at every opportunity

• Haha 1

Ridiculous. Plays a couple of games and he is deemed rubbish. It does not help that he is partnered with McLean. He is there predominantly to stop goals and break up play. We conceded on Saturday due to playing out from the back (again). He should get a run of games and then judge him. We can certainly judge McLean by now!!.

I dont think he was awful,  he clearly was caught in possession and saved further blushes by Kruls save,  but beyond that he was fairly crisp and progressive in the first half given a disciplined role as the deep midfielder - I thought he was significantly better than the mayor, won more headers & had one of the few shots on target. 

Should he start once Hayden is fit?  Not for me,  is he in the running until then?   yes - i think he is a better option to be with Sara & Nunez as he has better discipline to allow those to get forward than Kenny atm.  Both kenny and Lungi are no more than good squad cover.

On 07/08/2022 at 18:58, Nexus_Canary said:

Right so after yesterday can a section of our fan  base all agree he's crap and stop fawning over him and move on?

No.

• Haha 2

Just now, KeiranShikari said:

I've been saying he's not good enough for us in midfield, as a backup fullback he's fine though hes okay.

Him and Byram are utility backups, both can play 3 positions at least and both shouldn't be starting in any of them.

• Like 2

Absolute screamer today but really limited in his overall play and his tendency to cut in on his right (for obvious reasons) was so telegraphed - compounded by having Onel in front of him

We've got to hope McCallum's injury isn't serious

That goal yesterday was terrific. Cool decision-making from range clinically delivered. Was just one of those freakish, inspired moments never to happen again? We'll never know if he doesn't get game time.

We have a real shortage of reliable goal-scorers in midfield; I'd have thought that simply the suggestion of goals in him justifies using him more than as merely a back-up, while working on coaching the rest of his game to fit better with the overall playing philosophy; presumably, if it wasn't believed that he could be a fit, he wouldn't be here in the first place. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kirku said:

Absolute screamer today but really limited in his overall play and his tendency to cut in on his right (for obvious reasons) was so telegraphed - compounded by having Onel in front of him

We've got to hope McCallum's injury isn't serious

Isn't he left footed?

13 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Isn't he left footed?

Pretty sure he's right footed as it was very noticeable in his spell at left back he was always stopping and going inside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

That goal yesterday was terrific. Cool decision-making from range clinically delivered. Was just one of those freakish, inspired moments never to happen again? We'll never know if he doesn't get game time.

We have a real shortage of reliable goal-scorers in midfield; I'd have thought that simply the suggestion of goals in him justifies using him more than as merely a back-up, while working on coaching the rest of his game to fit better with the overall playing philosophy; presumably, if it wasn't believed that he could be a fit, he wouldn't be here in the first place. 

I like him. He has a coolness about him. A cultured player - I really want him to succeed. I'm yet to sense his best place as he isn't the most physical as a CDM but I haven't given up hope on that. He clearly has an eye for goal which encouragingly Smith has prompted Lungi to go for goal more often. A bit of an enigma.

Yet already his versatility (LB, CB and midfielder) is one of the major pluses in having such a player in our squad. 

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I like him. He has a coolness about him. A cultured player - I really want him to succeed. I'm yet to sense his best place as he isn't the most physical as a CDM but I haven't given up hope on that. He clearly has an eye for goal which encouragingly Smith has prompted Lungi to go for goal more often. A bit of an enigma.

Yet already his versatility (LB, CB, full back and midfielder) is one of the major pluses in having such a player in our squad. 

He is an odd one - I actually wonder if that spell at left-back knocked him back. Not sure about lack of physicality though, he seems pretty robust when he goes in. There was one attack that came around where he piled into a 50:50, got the better of it, the ball popped out to Sinani and Hernandez went for a volley that was blocked.

There's something Trybull-esque about Lungi's relatively slow top speed but aggression when actually in a tackle. Lungi's better in the air though, and more versatile.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Sometimes I think I'm watching a totally different team to other supporters. Maybe people are so busy watching the ball and shouting 'get rid of it' whenever a defender takes a touch that they don't see the work off the ball or the bigger picture... 

What I've seen from Sorensen this season has been more than solid, aside from one poor moment against Wigan. He has excellent vision and anticipation and has used the ball well while maintaining excellent positional discipline.

His biggest issue has been the lack of a reliable midfield partner to a) consistently offer a passing option to progress the ball, b) to provide some defensive cover, and c) draw the opposition into our half, creating space for the attacking midfielders between the lines.

This often leaves Lungi short of options and I think he's doing an admirable job of feeding off the scraps on offer at times. I genuinely don't know what people think he should be doing differently or better.

With a more reliable number 8 (who doesn't regularly go full headless chicken) beside him probably in Sara, I think he's our best choice until we see if Hayden is actually any upgrade.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Did it at Marseille too. It's clearly something in his locker. 

A player I really thought Farke would bring on and develop. The fact he didn't, perhaps evidence Farke could be fallible with youth. After all, the ingredients of a player are definitely there. Lets hope Smith and Shakey can maximise his potential, because in the right system, he's capable of being a top championship player. 

• Like 2

I don't think lungi is the problem. 433 is the problem or at least Kenny doesn't help him. I do think if lungi and Sara could have some time together it may look better 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

Isn't he left footed?

No, very much favours his right. 

4 minutes ago, RugbyCanary said:

I don't think lungi is the problem. 433 is the problem or at least Kenny doesn't help him. I do think if lungi and Sara could have some time together it may look better 

I agree to an extent. He's like Trybull who simply shouldn't be the sole defensive midfielder so our current system with the pair of attacking 8s leaves him with a lot to do. That being said even if we went to a 4231 or something else with a pair in midfield he's still low down our options.

45 minutes ago, Petriix said:

This often leaves Lungi short of options and I think he's doing an admirable job of feeding off the scraps on offer at times. I genuinely don't know what people think he should be doing differently or better.

He's a useful utility squad player for us - like a poor man's Phil Neville.

There's a reason successive coaches haven't fancied him in his natural position, that he's spent a vast majority of his time on the pitch as an emergency LB, and every season we've brought in players ahead of him. 

It boils down to him not being good enough to be the sole DM for a side in the PL or aiming for promotion 

39 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

After all, the ingredients of a player are definitely there. Lets hope Smith and Shakey can maximise his potential, because in the right system, he's capable of being a top championship player. 

I really don't see it. He's a decent technician which lends himself to being decently versatile but not much else. If he could add more physicality and aggression to his game he'd be a significantly better player but I've been saying that since I first saw him play.

29 minutes ago, RugbyCanary said:

Not sure about that- I think you could even argue that Lungi doesn't help Kenny very much, seeing as how much better we looked in midfield v Wigan when Sorenson went off and McLean became the defacto holder in the midfield.

7 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I really don't see it. He's a decent technician which lends himself to being decently versatile but not much else. If he could add more physicality and aggression to his game he'd be a significantly better player but I've been saying that since I first saw him play.

Looks to me like you do 😉

He has beautiful technique. He needs better coaching on how to apply it - and needs to be played in the right system with the right personal. He's not good next to Mclean. But remember Watford away next to Lees Melou? They both looked very good for the time they were on the pitch together. 

47 minutes ago, kirku said:

He's a useful utility squad player for us - like a poor man's Phil Neville.

There's a reason successive coaches haven't fancied him in his natural position, that he's spent a vast majority of his time on the pitch as an emergency LB, and every season we've brought in players ahead of him. 

It boils down to him not being good enough to be the sole DM for a side in the PL or aiming for promotion 

A poor man's Phil Neville , I hope Jacob doesn't come on pink un .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

He has beautiful technique. He needs better coaching on how to apply it - and needs to be played in the right system with the right personal. He's not good next to Mclean. But remember Watford away next to Lees Melou? They both looked very good for the time they were on the pitch together. 

Yeah until he went off injured, then sargent had a once in a lifetime performance.

16 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I just don't think he's talented enough for us to build around. He has decent technique but that's it and he's never going to be the type to use that to hurt teams regularly like a Nunez (hopefully) or Cantwell. I might be wrong but I don't think he has the 'right place right time' gene which would negate the need for as much aggression and physicality in a defensive midfielder. I actually thought he might have been dropped for Hull in place of McLean who will cover more ground and use his body, of course Sorensen is now our likely left back. 

He's miles behind most of our more attacking midfielders so he's not getting in there. Ironically this switch to left back might be the best thing for him. He wasn't regularly toasted by wingers last time so I'm not worried about him defensively and with his recent showing with the long shots maybe we could have him drifting inside in the attacking third looking for them.

I quite liked his cameos at CB too which makes me laugh as he's basically a good player in every position we didn't sign him to play.

8 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Phil Neville had a better career than our most talented players in the last 30 years.

Lungi would snap your arm off for a career that was half as good as Neville's.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Canary dwarf said:

Or a rich man's Billy Gilmour? 

• Haha 2