Sign in to follow this  
Ulfotto

5 Subs

What does everyone think?  Not a fan personally…second half is dominated by subs leading to 10 minutes plus injury time becoming the norm.

5 or 6 mins of injury time was the Giannoulis injury. 5 subs doesn't take much longer than 3 as we still have the same max number of stoppages.

• Like 1

I’m not a fan - it’s pretty ridiculous that you can now change nearly half the team.  It was fine, it didn’t need changing, it’s a change for the sake of it.

Don't think it's a bad idea to be honest, especially in a congested season.

I thought it should be 30 secs a sub so if both teams make the maximum then it’s 5 mins minimum.

There should 100% be a rule that if it’s a sub for tactical reasons then the player coming on can’t do so until the departing player tags them in, but until that’s happening the play continues. 

You watch how quickly they sprint off then. Eliminates the need for added time for them at all. Injury based subs just add time as usual. To stop every Player just sitting down they should introduce 30 secs to hung them in a stretcher in every case and get them off to assess them while the sub comes on. None of this treatment on the pitch c*** unless it’s so obviously a head or breakage. 

Edited by SwearyCanary

I would suggest a compromise would be that it is 3 plus you can always sub a goalkeeper. So the keeper sub is not included in the 3 substitutes. But hey the big clubs get want they want right anyway it should help us this season.

Just another excuse / chance to waste time to be honest.

Its going to benefit us more than most this year as our bench should be stronger than most. 
Like we saw yesterday the 60 - 70 min injection of Hernandez will upset tired defenses. 

5 subs and we still cocked up not getting Hugill on the pitch to snatch a goal

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

5 or 6 mins of injury time was the Giannoulis injury. 5 subs doesn't take much longer than 3 as we still have the same max number of stoppages.

United just made a triple sub, Brighton 1 at the same time. It took an age to get them all on and off. 

I'm not a fan, it does take longer and gives games, 2nd halves especially a pre season feel to them. 

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

United just made a triple sub, Brighton 1 at the same time. It took an age to get them all on and off. 

I'm not a fan, it does take longer and gives games, 2nd halves especially a pre season feel to them. 

..and contrary the the b*llocks Klopp spouts about 'fitness' , those late subs are purely reflecting the current situation on the game, if youre behind, you'll chuck more attacking on..if youre ahead you'll throw on another defensive player to sure it up

Whilst the subs can only be made in 3 stoppages (plus halftime) the players still seem to be leaving the field individually. Refs need to get on top of this. It's an excuse to waste time.

Anyone restricted by train or bus times around final is in for a frustrating season.

3 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

There should 100% be a rule that if it’s a sub for tactical reasons then the player coming on can’t do so until the departing player tags them in, but until that’s happening the play continues. 

You watch how quickly they sprint off then. Eliminates the need for added time for them at all. Injury based subs just add time as usual. To stop every Player just sitting down they should introduce 30 secs to hung them in a stretcher in every case and get them off to assess them while the sub comes on. None of this treatment on the pitch c*** unless it’s so obviously a head or breakage. 

Absolute common sense mate. Whatever happened to leaving the pitch at the nearest place too

• Like 1

Only one team made 5 tactical subs in GW1 in the PL. It resulted in turning round a 2-0 deficit to get a 2-2 draw. I liked it. 

The big clubs in the PL are less likely to use it to make a difference at least because they’re relatively rarely going to be behind in the latter stages. Liverpool were and did a triple sub 50-odd minutes in. Their 4th came just before their second equaliser but was arguably not tactical - carvalho for Dias is not an upgrade! Pep has said he prefers a small core first team squad. 

For Norwich as a big, rich club in the Championship with a deeper squad than many it ought to be welcomed. Maybe bring Ismael in as he used it to great effect with Barnsley! More seriously that showed it was counterintuitively something good for small clubs. 

Premier League have executed this better than the EFL- if you're going to have 5 subs its absurd to only have 7 bench places. 

20 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

Unless I've misunderstood your point, there already is - and the fourth official should be tighter on that.

Favours the well off clubs and therefore means lesser clubs are disadvantaged. We want a more level playing field across leagues, yet all the so called "advances" in the game do the opposite.

46 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Unless I've misunderstood your point, there already is - and the fourth official should be tighter on that.

Play is paused while the player leaves the field of play though right? I’m saying that the fourth official should just get in the refs eat piece and tell him he has a sub waiting to come on, ref looks over gives the thumbs up and the player coming off has to be told by the bench to get his a*** off as play continues and the new player comes on once he has left the pitch via half way line 

8 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Play is paused while the player leaves the field of play though right? I’m saying that the fourth official should just get in the refs eat piece and tell him he has a sub waiting to come on, ref looks over gives the thumbs up and the player coming off has to be told by the bench to get his a*** off as play continues and the new player comes on once he has left the pitch via half way line 

You can only make substitutions during a stoppage in play so yes, there could be a communication issue somewhere, but the main thing is this, the rule is already in place that substitutes should not be on the field of play until the player coming off the pitch is indeed off.

9 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Interesting idea.

I'd like to see referees in general just crack down on the timewasting piece. I think recently we had the rule added for subs to go off at the nearest touchline but it gets ignored and never enforced.  

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

You can only make substitutions during a stoppage in play so yes, there could be a communication issue somewhere, but the main thing is this, the rule is already in place that substitutes should not be on the field of play until the player coming off the pitch is indeed off.

His suggestion is that play shouldn't have to stop- so basically as play continues the 4th official lets the referee know there is a sub happening, the player coming off runs over and tags in the sub, all without play having to stop. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

I think you’re misunderstanding. I’m saying play should just continue rather than have to wait for there to be a stoppage. What benefit does the stoppage bring aside from allowing the exiting player to take forever to leave and break up play/momentum. 

I would it change it from 3 windows (+ half-time) to 2 windows (+half-time) to make any changes. That would help reduce the time wasting whilst keeping the 5 subs rule.