Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Will We Ever See The Flags Again ?

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

@TIL 1010

Wasnt your shirt enough yesterday my friend? 

You want flags as well! 

Itll be a drum next, mark my words! 

Oh dear calling me your friend when we have never met will have FF lurking quick enough.

Ive just looked at the OSP minutes and it interesting states 

EK advised that ‘along come Norwich’ are producing some crowd surfers for build-up atmosphere and there are new lights capable of light shows.

so surely the same perceved restrictions with the flags would be evident for the crowd surfers?! 

18 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Oh dear calling me your friend when we have never met will have FF lurking quick enough.

He might even post rather that just posting a reaction! 

Edited by Greavsy

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Give it a rest chaps. Perfectly good question that has been asked, the flags look great and ought to be got out every home game.

What's your view on the drum Lakey? 

I'm sure the sticks will still be available for use (once they've been appropriately sanitised, of course). 😅

Apples

1 minute ago, Mr Apples said:

I'm sure the sticks will still be available for use (once they've been appropriately sanitised, of course). 😅

Apples

Im sure there will be a new sanction added if people use said sticks to beat the club / personnel with.  

6 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

What's your view on the drum Lakey? 

Not at a football match. A drum used badly or just used too much ruins it for many fans.  Also it gives one person too much power over proceedings. Flags though, to keep it on topic, are a positive for everyone.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Not at a football match. A drum used badly or just used too much ruins it for many fans.  Also it gives one person too much power over proceedings. Flags though, to keep it on topic, are a positive for everyone.

Agreed - although just to address the badly / over use of a drum I think was covered in the OPS minutes with this statement 

EK provided the data returned for the musical instrument inclusion in the stadium. SH advised if the club move to bring a drum or instrument into the stadium then it will be a club appointed musician for health and safety reasons. It was also discussed that it is unlikely the musician would be in the stand for the same reasons. SH said that there is no targeted game for a musician to attend.

Back on topic though - my only criticism for the flags, is whist the Barclay does look good with lots of them, I would prefer them to be spread about more - not necessarily en masse to other parts of the ground, but spread about to make the entire ground look better. 

The Barclay is the most vocal part, so surely work if anywhere, needs be be done to improve the other 3 sides of the ground surely ? 

I think from memory though, they did have the flags in the river end (lower?) for once match.   

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Flags though, to keep it on topic, are a positive for everyone

Not for everyone apparently 

• Sad 1

The drum at Hibs sounded alright (although it was stuck at the side of a stand) and you probably wouldn't want to sit in close vicinity to it.

Perhaps if we start any ground redevelopment a separate bandstand should be considered? 🥁🤣

Apples

17 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Not for everyone apparently 

Has anyone said anything against them / them not being positive when used pre match? 

While we are at it, perhaps we could bring back the samba band before games ( more venerable supporters may remember this from way back). Give the place a bit of bounce and swagger and, who knows,  might make Sara feel more at home at least. 

2 minutes ago, Silver Canary said:

While we are at it, perhaps we could bring back the samba band before games ( more venerable supporters may remember this from way back). Give the place a bit of bounce and swagger and, who knows,  might make Sara feel more at home at least. 

Motion carried, as long as they play this before every match:

24 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

The drum at Hibs sounded alright (although it was stuck at the side of a stand) and you probably wouldn't want to sit in close vicinity to it.

Perhaps if we start any ground redevelopment a separate bandstand should be considered? 🥁🤣

Apples

Frankly anything less than a full orchestra is tinpot. Club’s a joke! 😡

• Haha 1

Hi All

Jon here from ACN, I don't really post here anymorre but someone alerted me to the fact the flags were being debated, so hopefully we can provide some clarity for people. 

1. The small waving flags are indeed kept in a cupboard through the men's toilets in the Lower Barclay. Some of them have been broken, got dirty or have just been taken home by people, so the numbers of them have dwindled a bit, but we still have enough for a good coverage of the Barclay Lower.

There was an intention to have them out for Saturday, but the number of volunteers who were available was limited (early kick off time compounded this) so we took a call not to put them out. We'd rather a full display than something half hearted. Hope people can appreciate that. There was also a strong feeling toward the end of last season that people were getting annoyed with them and they were barely being waved. We can appreciate that and took the decision for one game to relocate them to the River End which actually worked really well. 

2. The surfers - we'd love to re-use them and have actively been exploring that with the club, along with some possible new surfers. The only issue here is that there was never really a proper place to store them, which meant at least a couple of them lived outside in all weathers and need repair or jet washing. We're following up on that. 

3. Funding - the flag displays were previously subject to a crowdfunder but more recently we've just used revenue from merch sales. 

4. The displays are usually a joint effort between ACN and Barclay End Norwich. 

5. I still attend every home game, but have often moved my season ticket into the South Stand from my usual seat in the Lower Barclay so I can take my 10 year old who has just started attending. Lawny makes a few matches each season too.

Hope that answers everybody's questions. If people have any suggestions for what they'd like to see on matchdays, or would like to get involved with volunteering to put flags out or help with displays (it really does take quite a lot of time and many hands make light work) then get in touch, alongcomenorwich@gmail.com

OTBC

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8

Thanks for the very clear clarification in your response. 

And well done on the good work previously too. 

Shame to read some of them are broken / dirty. 

Hopefully they, and the surfers can return and be part of a vibrant display with the new light show. Maybe incorporate some fluorescents in any new surfers ?  

Thanks also from me for the update Jon, glad they will be back soon, always loved the flag displays. 

FB_IMG_1656870001558.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Tell that to the guy with vexiphobia 🤨😀

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

6 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Tell that to the guy with vexiphobia 🤨😀

Do they get in a flap?! 

Ill get my coat. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Puntino said:

Hi All

Jon here from ACN, I don't really post here anymorre but someone alerted me to the fact the flags were being debated, so hopefully we can provide some clarity for people. 

1. The small waving flags are indeed kept in a cupboard through the men's toilets in the Lower Barclay. Some of them have been broken, got dirty or have just been taken home by people, so the numbers of them have dwindled a bit, but we still have enough for a good coverage of the Barclay Lower.

There was an intention to have them out for Saturday, but the number of volunteers who were available was limited (early kick off time compounded this) so we took a call not to put them out. We'd rather a full display than something half hearted. Hope people can appreciate that. There was also a strong feeling toward the end of last season that people were getting annoyed with them and they were barely being waved. We can appreciate that and took the decision for one game to relocate them to the River End which actually worked really well. 

2. The surfers - we'd love to re-use them and have actively been exploring that with the club, along with some possible new surfers. The only issue here is that there was never really a proper place to store them, which meant at least a couple of them lived outside in all weathers and need repair or jet washing. We're following up on that. 

3. Funding - the flag displays were previously subject to a crowdfunder but more recently we've just used revenue from merch sales. 

4. The displays are usually a joint effort between ACN and Barclay End Norwich. 

5. I still attend every home game, but have often moved my season ticket into the South Stand from my usual seat in the Lower Barclay so I can take my 10 year old who has just started attending. Lawny makes a few matches each season too.

Hope that answers everybody's questions. If people have any suggestions for what they'd like to see on matchdays, or would like to get involved with volunteering to put flags out or help with displays (it really does take quite a lot of time and many hands make light work) then get in touch, alongcomenorwich@gmail.com

OTBC

I wonder if Til will be volunteering next home game as he's so keen to see them back 😉

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

I wonder if Til will be volunteering next home game as he's so keen to see them back 😉

What with that shirt on too - not sure HD could handle that in the coverage! 😉 

• Haha 1

Thanks for your full and frank response @Puntinowhich has clarified the position for their absence for half of last season and the start of this.

I love @Greavsy's idea of fluorescents to complement the light shows (hopefully we'll see the lights in action tomorrow night).

Really good to hear from Jon, and to read Maddie's piece on the website.

Sitting as I do in the Upper River End, I couldn't be further from the action, but for what it's worth I would absolutely love to see the flags and surfers back. I think a lot of the enthusiasm was because it tied in with the Farkeball philosophy and Farke's desire to see a 'yellow wall' like Dortmund's, but hopefully some good results and progress up the league will make people a bit more enthusiastic about the displays.