Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So why was Sargent brought on and not Hugill?

2 hours ago, Mullet said:

... or put in a passionate fighting display like Leeds did yesterday or batter a good Villa side. 

Watching the Leeds game I couldn't help but remember how much stick Bamford got here.  But he looked like the striker we can't afford yesterday.

Can’t say either Sargeant or Hugill are anything like good enough for what we need and choosing between then is just a lottery. Hugill has scored in preseason (but really simple ones that aren’t going to come round too often at this level) or Sargeant who brings the unpredictable chaos that can create chances for others but shows no sign of being able to score.  The Devils choice with no right answer. We need something better if we are going to be up in the top 6. 

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

If Dean Smith thought Sargent was the answer yesterday i really don't want to know what was going on in his head.

“I wonder if Delia had put any more of her delicious teacakes in the oven”

Some of the posters criticising this decision were saying less than 2 months ago that Hugill shouldn't be anywhere near the club and would be lucky to find a league one side.

How the turns have tabled.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

If Dean Smith thought Sargent was the answer yesterday i really don't want to know what was going on in his head.

we now go live to Dean Smiths Head:

7AFF5237-AE8A-4FF2-97BB-D65B5D918C79.jpeg.de60ea6472eee9cce0c246d43aa4bc23.jpeg

4 hours ago, Unhinged Canary said:

Because Hugill is an even bigger waste of space than Sargent.

He really isn’t.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Some of the posters criticising this decision were saying less than 2 months ago that Hugill shouldn't be anywhere near the club and would be lucky to find a league one side.

Odd, isn’t it.  I’m pretty sure there was more than one who said we’d never see him in the shirt again.  With the advent of us having a more pragmatic approach and mixing it up, there’s always a place for Hugill in the squad. He should definitely have come on yesterday, once Onel clearly had the beating his defender we needed someone in the box who knew what they’re doing, and that is his bread and butter.  It isn’t Sargent’s. 

1 hour ago, Move Klose said:

Personally I thought we wouldn't see the likes of Hugill and Hernandez play for us again. I thought we had gone past that stage. But I think Hugill will give you more of an option than Sargent. I really want Sargent to succeed here but I just can't see it happening.

Exactly this i thought the same 

in Fact it is Sad as he shows no improvement after spending so much in fact we have gone backwards in those areas 

midfield is a big plus though getting rid of all the dead wood just need to revamp forwards defenders and wingers again !! 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Just a question hoggy but you posted the other day that you were missing the Wigan game as you were off on holiday to Sorrento but you were all over the forum yesterday like measles and here you are again today. Is it raining or something because when i go on holiday i don't even look on here let alone post ? I thought you would be glad of a break from the place so chill out and go sightseeing , go for a lovely meal and a glass or two of wine  in what is a beautiful place to be and leave your phone in your pocket. 😜😂

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Just a question hoggy but you posted the other day that you were missing the Wigan game as you were off on holiday to Sorrento but you were all over the forum yesterday like measles and here you are again today. Is it raining or something because when i go on holiday i don't even look on here let alone post ? I thought you would be glad of a break from the place so chill out and go sightseeing , go for a lovely meal and a glass or two of wine  in what is a beautiful place to be and leave your phone in your pocket. 😜😂

Another odd post Tillo, wtf has it got to do with you or anybody if someone posts while on holiday or not, just because you don't. Are you going to make hideous nylon shirts compulsory too? 😇*

* Please note get out clause emoji. 

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Another odd post Tillo, wtf has it got to do with you or anybody if someone posts while on holiday or not, just because you don't. Are you going to make hideous nylon shirts compulsory too? 😇*

* Please note get out clause emoji. 

Says the master of odd posts,anyway i like it, the wife likes it and so do several others as there were a good few being worn at the game.

Anyway to use your vocabulary wtf has it to do with you what i ask hoggy or should that be hoggio ?

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Says the master of odd posts,anyway i like it, the wife likes it and so do several others as there were a good few being worn at the game.

Anyway to use your vocabulary wtf has it to do with you what i ask hoggy or should that be hoggio ?

I think that you've deliberately  ignored the point Tillo. Read your own post back. You try to make it sound as if Hoggo ( other people add the I, I don't)  either wasn't in Sorrento, or if he was , should t have been posting, just because e you don't post on Holiday. Being younger than you and still working , Hoggo may in fact enjoy extra time posting while on holiday, from a train, bus, taxi , cafe , swimming pool, museums etc the possibilities ( in life as well mate) are endless. Pigeon Holes are for Pigeons.

Having had a few hours to reflect on the Sargent vs Hugill conundrum I think I've decided that its bloody sad that we've got to this stage as both are essentially sh1t.

The sooner Adam Idah gets fit, or we sign another striker the better. We have to have better than these two clowns.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Having had a few hours to reflect on the Sargent vs Hugill conundrum I think I've decided that its bloody sad that we've got to this stage as both are essentially sh1t.

The sooner Adam Idah gets fit, or we sign another striker the better. We have to have better than these two clowns.

This is so bang on 😂😂

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Idah isn’t the answer. He hasn’t got 8 goals a season in him at this level. Massively overrated, and no better than Hugill or Sargent. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

please do ponit me to the two others theads I have made that I talk about how Hugill should have come on rather than Sargent.

Please do point me to the bit where I said you'd made the two other threads.

Perhaps if you took the time to read what other people have to say now and again you'd have noticed them, we are expected to endure your threads so only fair that you pay attention to threads made by other people.

I've always stuck up for you and your right to create threads,  some of them lead to interesting discussions, but the forum doesn't need constant duplicates just so you can get your topic count up.

13 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

On pre-season form though Hugill is less sh*t than Sargent.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

On pre-season form though Hugill is less sh*t than Sargent.

Probably, but I think Sargent missed the early matches.

It's going to be another long hard slog for Pukki this season.

sleep-wakeup.gif.942bd6766b885838fe525be1bae9eeec.gif

28 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Probably, but I think Sargent missed the early matches.

It's going to be another long hard slog for Pukki this season.

No, Idah to the rescue.

If played with Teemu, in the way they played together before Idah's injury last season, the problem will be solved!

It isn't just Norwich managers who have rated him but also Ireland managers. I feel their judgement is better than mine (and most posters on here).

A manager excuse in the waiting ------------No its not the players fault ,its that dam ball its just not going where its supposed to go, I blame the ref - the supporters not cheering us loudly, and so on😂

32 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Idah isn’t the answer. He hasn’t got 8 goals a season in him at this level. Massively overrated, and no better than Hugill or Sargent. 

So why has neither Farke nor Smith sold him then???

Farke and Smith have played Sargent more than Hugill or Sorensen, so although we struggle to see it, they do.   I reckon it must be work rate.

35 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I thought this until West Ham away last season.  He was very good, a real handful.  Obviously that was followed up with Everton and Watford, although Sargent got the goals at Watford, Idah was excellent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

So why has neither Farke nor Smith sold him then???

Just a guess perhaps why he not be sold or on loan- perhaps he is seen has injury prone or not been in a team long enough to really show what he is capable of or perhaps strikers are hard to come by and we rather hold onto him in the hope he may do or be something resembling decent 

Let’s be honest both Hugill and Sargent are as ****e as each other….not really a great back up to a misfiring Pukki! We might need to loan in a decent striker.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I thought this until West Ham away last season.  He was very good, a real handful.  Obviously that was followed up with Everton and Watford, although Sargent got the goals at Watford, Idah was excellent.

Yeah a little glimpse of form. Was he really that good though?

He caught the eye with a speculative effort at West Ham, one decent finish against a terrible Everton defence and played a part in a terrific away result at Watford. You could argue that merely shows how utterly ineffective he’d been for Norwich up until that point. 

Hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see enough to his game to suggest he’ll be consistently good enough for Norwich. 

Sargent’s low approval rating comes largely from his transfer fee. Which was ridiculous. 

Posters here claiming him to be more of an asset because ‘he has energy’ and ‘runs around a lot’… Christ, I don’t want to come across all Roy Keane here, but that’s the bare minimum expectation of a £10k footballer, let alone a £10m one. 

Edited by mrdi

I’m afraid I don’t believe anyone actually at the game yesterday thought Sargent made any difference. He didn’t . 

In context - last seasons Promoted teams had Mitrovic , Solanke and Brennan Johnson (who scored 16 goals last season) 

Hugil and Sargent won’t get 16 goals combined . 

26 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Just a guess perhaps why he not be sold or on loan- perhaps he is seen has injury prone or not been in a team long enough to really show what he is capable of or perhaps strikers are hard to come by and we rather hold onto him in the hope he may do or be something resembling decent 

I fail to believe we couldn’t have found him a loan. If he’d been on loan any of the last three seasons we’d probably know the answer as to whether he’s good enough to get 10+ Championship goals.

His career development has been pretty stunted since he turned 18 and mainly just a sub for a few mins. How was he ever going to develop?

According to transfer market in our first PL season with him he played just 218 mins, 325 mins in the last Championship campaign and peaked last season at 617 mins almost entirely because Smith gave him a go until he was injured. Yet if you looked at games played you’d think he was a regular player.