Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So why was Sargent brought on and not Hugill?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'm still confused.. Even worse given the golden chance at the end he somehow fluffed which I feel any decent striker would have found the net with

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

For once I completely agree with you. Really think Sargent's level is non-league at best

Do get the feeling that if he still does not improve come the end of the season he might end up being sold to a midtable MLS side

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that Sargent will go down as a RVW level signing . I have no idea what the scouts saw. The “chance” at the end was never such, because it was Sargent . when I watched it from the upper barclay he spent far too much time looking at the defender and not the ball , then confusd himself in selecting his control surface .  
Yesterday he was so clueless I felt sorry for him. 
It could be that he will overcome an apparent lack of control , vision , ability to find space and decision making and become a good player .

I won’t be staking my life on it though . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm still confused.. Even worse given the golden chance at the end he somehow fluffed which I feel any decent striker would have found the net with

Because Dean Smith isn’t a football manager

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Do get the feeling that if he still does not improve come the end of the season he might end up being sold to a midtable MLS side

I couldn't care less where he goes, anywhere but here and the sooner the better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to question the purpose of Hugill on the bench if he's not brought to force a win against Wigan, especially having brought Onel on!

2 points dropped I'm afraid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was crying out for Hugill much earlier, even before Sargent was brought on. Rachia was free but couldn’t cross happened so often I was really surprised when he just sat warming the bench.

What on earth Sargent brings to the party god only knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

You have to question the purpose of Hugill on the bench if he's not brought to force a win against Wigan, especially having brought Onel on!

2 points dropped I'm afraid.

Agreed, having Hugill on would have helped Onel’s decision making,  crossing early or late is suddenly a real option with Jordan on the pitch.  I think it is real weakness of Pukki on his own upfront is that in tight situations a cross into a congested penalty area is pointless.

with respect to Sargent he does have all the attributes to play Hugill, just not the experience and guile, perhaps a loan would help him.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crosses all game, even from first half that only hugill would have made any kind of chance from. Game cried out for him!

Especially when they went a goal up we needed to force the issue.

 

At best, sgt is a player to stick outside who will work his socks off. Probably more useful to use in the league above than this league (just as I do not anticipate us needing to dedicate a member of the 11 to solely track runs and close down the ball)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For once I felt Sargent did well when we came on, at least until that last-minute fluffed shot. He caused trouble for their defence and almost made an immediate impact when he bothered one of their players into making a mistake.

Problem is, we could have paid a tenth of what we paid for him for someone to do that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm still confused.. Even worse given the golden chance at the end he somehow fluffed which I feel any decent striker would have found the net with

It must be difficult a choice between subbing on the potato or the spud. Sergent has the run around factor Hugill doesn't have, Hugill can at least head the ball.

It matters not, I think the best we can hope for is not to get relegated. Promotion to a league we embarrass ourselves in to the whole nation can't be the aim surely. We all know how much we hate our forays into the PL so why worry ourselves about not beating Cardiff or Wigan.

Our terrible waste of PL money dictates we are where we deserve to be, mid table championship. Nearly all sides promoted to the PL give it better go than we do so lets give up our space to them.

If we were in the PL it would take us 10 attempts to draw with Liverpool or put in a passionate fighting display like Leeds did yesterday or batter a good Villa side. The culture in our club is we don't belong in the PL. Delia believes it Webber believes it, Smith and the players believe it. 

So lets not stress, because we are where we belong.

Edited by Mullet
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even the backroom team were bemused when Smith changed his mind and told Hugill to put the tracksuit back on and gave sargent the nod. 
I have spent a number of years in Australia and attended many AFL rules footie and looking at Sargent he would of been the perfect build and strength to play that game but clearly not football as we know it, maybe St Kilda or the Western Bulldogs should check him out, he would be a perfect fit in that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sargent 'fluffed' his chance? Great cover tackle taking it off his toe. Not saying he's good. I would have put hugill on earlier too if honest. I still don't think smith knows his best team yet which really doesn't help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Dean Smith thought Sargent was the answer yesterday i really don't want to know what was going on in his head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a decision between a Human Cranefly and a Lummox. Given the physical nature of the opposition, the answer Smith arrived at was a very strange. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wigan’s defense had a good foot over anyone in our squad and we hadn’t won a header in their half all game. Bringing Hugill on would encourage more high crosses and played right into their hands, Sargent offered more physicality and energy and should have had a pen when he was hauled down. Think he needs some game time up front before we write him off, but he doesn’t belong on the wing.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sargent made a difference when he came on....not enough of a difference, but he did cause problems. Hugill could have done the same, I grant you, but the thing is that Hugill did the business pre-season in showing he was on form, so you would have thought he would be given the job.

Sargent can be effective - we saw it last season, he is a unit and a handful. But we need goals and we need him to score more this season. Can he do that? Yes, I believe so, but with Hugill in the squad, he has competition for what is a similar role.

Too soon to write him - or anyone else - off this season.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hugill should have come on he offers a greater goal threat .however in terms of workrate sargent wins hands down,but we were chasing a winner and needed a goal , so it should have been hugill😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pre-season form is exactly it for me - Hugill’s been finding the back of the net in pre-season and all we needed was some good old-fashioned, irreverence in the Wigan box. 

Other than the header vs Watford (the wonder-fluke doesn’t count) I don’t remember Sargent ever having some of that. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm still confused.. Even worse given the golden chance at the end he somehow fluffed which I feel any decent striker would have found the net with

Are you really so dopamine addicted and attention deprived that you needed to start the third thread on the same thing? 

Have you considered getting a partner and taking up sex?

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

For once I felt Sargent did well when we came on, at least until that last-minute fluffed shot. He caused trouble for their defence and almost made an immediate impact when he bothered one of their players into making a mistake.

Problem is, we could have paid a tenth of what we paid for him for someone to do that.

I thought the defender made a last ditch block tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have completely given up on Sargent tbh. He doesn't have the ability to play at a decent level because he doesn't do anything well enough. Poor signing based on a poor theory.

Webber seemed to decide last year that work rate was what made you successful in the PL and crunched the data based on that. The reality is that PL players have that and the technical capacity. It's not just that they run hard. 

Weird approach last season which felt all too moneyball for my liking.

Nunez and Sara seem back to the old Webber strategy and I'm happy to see it return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Are you really so dopamine addicted and attention deprived that you needed to start the third thread on the same thing? 

Have you considered getting a partner and taking up sex?

 

please do ponit me to the two others theads I have made that I talk about how Hugill should have come on rather than Sargent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm still confused.. Even worse given the golden chance at the end he somehow fluffed which I feel any decent striker would have found the net with

Personally I thought we wouldn't see the likes of Hugill and Hernandez play for us again. I thought we had gone past that stage. But I think Hugill will give you more of an option than Sargent. I really want Sargent to succeed here but I just can't see it happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mullet said:

It must be difficult a choice between subbing on the potato or the spud. Sergent has the run around factor Hugill doesn't have, Hugill can at least head the ball.

It matters not, I think the best we can hope for is not to get relegated. Promotion to a league we embarrass ourselves in to the whole nation can't be the aim surely. We all know how much we hate our forays into the PL so why worry ourselves about not beating Cardiff or Wigan.

Our terrible waste of PL money dictates we are where we deserve to be, mid table championship. Nearly all sides promoted to the PL give it better go than we do so lets give up our space to them.

If we were in the PL it would take us 10 attempts to draw with Liverpool or put in a passionate fighting display like Leeds did yesterday or batter a good Villa side. The culture in our club is we don't belong in the PL. Delia believes it Webber believes it, Smith and the players believe it. 

So lets not stress, because we are where we belong.

Correct (x 6 in fact)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...