Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Kieron Dowell is our best attacking midfielder.

He’s good at this level but I’m not sure he’s got the mobility/physicality that Smiths indicating he’s looking for. He’s a very good squad option at this level though, he’s got a throughball in him at least.

Another one who improves every match he doesn't play.

Has always promised a lot but disappointed too many times.

• Like 2

Yep, for me Dowel could be a revelation this season. He’s a quality player for this level.

I’d seriously consider dropping Pukki deeper too. Couple of times yesterday he dropped deeper, took possession, turned and created chances. He’s very good at holding onto the ball. No point continuing him as an out and out striker without a proper number 10 and deep-lying playmaker, to move the ball quickly and incisively between the lines.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

6 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Not a fair comment that.

Can’t recall him having a bad game in our 20/21Championship run in. In fact, he came in and improved us. 

Disappointed last season, yes. But who didn’t?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

He got about 6 goals and 6 assists when he came back from injury and got in the team 2 seasons ago

I dont see any of our other midfielders able to do that

Is it just me or does he have a weirdly low profile. Never seems to be mentioned in anyone’s first choice eleven. Barely got a kick last season compared to others despite showing some good stuff excellent towards end of promotion season. The guy needs a rebrand.

Like @Yellow Wal says, he’s another beneficiary of Becchio syndrome, as happened to Sorensen. Now Lungi’s playing more, opinions have changed and most are suggesting he’s not the next Messiah after all. I thought Dowell was one of those players who got better the more he played. Which doesn’t work well on here because he will get criticised straight away. I think he’s worth a run in the team once he’s fit, he’s the closest thing we have to super Mario for free kicks, but I’m not sure there will be room if all three of Hayden, Sara and Nunez are in. But it’s a long season etc etc.

Edited by Nuff Said

Dowell is an excellent option for the skills required of a No.10, but nowhere else in midfield as he doesn't possess the necessary athleticism. I'm hoping Smith can find a formula that will fit him in but wouldn't pretend to know how he would do it while we are still without someone like Hayden to fill the role of a single (primarily) defensive midfielder (as Skipp performed). 

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

And he needs a contract extension and then a regular starting spot.

Am I wrong?

Too many 'average' options in that area of the pitch.

12 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Am I wrong?

Maybe he needs game time ,then we can judge , 

Well, he's more proven than Nunez at this level but we don't yet know he's better. I imagine as he returns to full fitness he will be more involved

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Like @Yellow Wal says, he’s another beneficiary of Becchio syndrome, as happened to Sorensen. Now Lungi’s playing more, opinions have changed and most are suggesting he’s not the next Messiah after all. I thought Dowell was one of those players who got better the more he played. Which doesn’t work well on here because he will get criticised straight away. I think he’s worth a run in the team once he’s fit, he’s the closest thing we have to super Mario for free kicks, but I’m not sure there will be room if all three of Hayden, Sara and Nunez are in. But it’s a long season etc etc.

Lungi is still a better option than McLean which is all most were saying. I don't think opinions on that have changed (mine hasn't).

35 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Lungi is still a better option than McLean which is all most were saying. I don't think opinions on that have changed (mine hasn't).

Not sure I agree and I’m not sure the majority do either any more. For one:

6CE70DC4-0005-4680-B5BB-F0DEF68D1CB4.jpeg

• Like 1

Agree. We looked better without Sorensen as it force KM to play deeper and stay put where he was a bit more useful. I’d play KD if fit ahead of Todd. Todd looked busy yesterday without being effective at what we really need him to be, which is the link to Pukki. None of his threaded passes hit their mark and he hit a couple of over the top balls during preseason that worked well, but that’s not Pukki’s game. I’d have Pukki, Dowell and Rashica (who I thought was OK yesterday tbh) in front of Nunez, Sara (just to see what he has got) and at present KM until Hayden is fit if we go for the 4-3-3 set up. 
Being honest I see a 4-1-3-2 as a possible set up with the back four of yesterday (minus Gibson for Hanley and if Dimi injured have McCallum there), KM in front sweeping until Hayden takes over. Nunez, Sara and Dowell and Pukki up top with Rashica/Sargeant/Onel or even Hugill as a plan B for deliveries. I can’t see why having Pukki in doesnt also mean we can’t play him alongside Hugill in the latter stages for duel threat 

The dominance in the second half showed that a holding midfielder wasnt required at home to Wigan

Smith got it wrong..

Should have been 

Nunez  McLean

Cantwell

Not...

Sorenson

Nunez    McLean

Dowell may struggle to even make the bench.

Our 7 will probably be GK, FB, CB, MID x2, Winger, FW.

Unless Sorensen is on the bench covering 2 or more positions, which is risky.

On 06/08/2022 at 22:59, TeemuVanBasten said:

Am I wrong?

Nope, I wasn't wrong.

What a wasted player. 

On 07/08/2022 at 14:40, Capt. Pants said:

Dowell may struggle to even make the bench.

Our 7 will probably be GK, FB, CB, MID x2, Winger, FW.

Unless Sorensen is on the bench covering 2 or more positions, which is risky.

oh

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Nope, I wasn't wrong.

What a wasted player. 

social media archaeology of your own posts is so gauche...;)

He's a funny one, Dowell. He's the ultimate highlights/xG player. You watch the whole of a game and see him ambling about, looking a bit power-puff defensively: he can look very frustrating.

Then you watch the highlights and realise he was involved in all our best moves and goalscoring opportunities.

Basically he has more vision than anyone in our team since Emi left. I bet Pukki loves having him in the team. He's not perfect, but at this level he should be an effective attacking weapon, and it's great that he seems to be becoming that under Wagner, just as he was under Farke.

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

social media archaeology of your own posts is so gauche...;)

Took me a whole 30 seconds.

Google search for site:pinkun.com and then words "Dowell" and "Best"

If archaeology was that easy they wouldn't need to bother with the degree.

2 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

You watch the whole of a game and see him ambling about, looking a bit power-puff defensively: he can look very frustrating.

That's why his best role is as a Trequartista. 

That's what all the fancy Italian strikers become when they lose their legs.

Dowell never had any to lose so he's a Trequartista by default.

• Like 1