Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Positives and negatives from today

Positives 

Nunez- thrown in after only a few days at the club but looked the part. Have to believe he'll get better as time goes on.

Omobamidele- Rolls Royce central defender at this level. First name on the team sheet.

Aarons- looked more like his old self, overlapping and playing on the front foot- will be a big player for us this season.

Cantwell- not back to his peak but looked like he's got his head down and playing as part of team.

Negatives

Gibson- just dreadful today. At fault for the goal and generally looked dodgy all game.

Pukki- lots of talk last week about service but looked rusty today even when given the ball. Let's hope he's just having a slow start.

Rashica- don't think he played poorly but he just looks like he belongs in a different team. Gave his fullback issues but obviously wants to put crosses in and we don't need someone doing that unless we're expecting more of our midfielders to get into the box too.

Sorenson- the 'he's the answer' hype train must be running out of steam now. Looked lightweight and easily bypassed and we looked significantly better when he went off.

Sinani- absolutely anonymous when he came on.

Can't decide

Hernandez- looked a massive threat and had his fullback on toast but christ his final ball is non existent. I can't remember him once making the right call after his good work got us into a great position. One of the most frustrating players we have.

• Like 14

Definitely agree about Todd. He has worked his socks off in the two games and this allied to his desire to do something not always expected is pleasing.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Definitely agree about Todd. He has worked his socks off in the two games and this allied to his desire to do something not always expected is pleasing.

There were definitely times today where he was trying too hard to force something but he's got the type of vision that few have at this level.

Bang on the money. Gibson is a liability really.

We need an upgrade on Hernandez, just no finished product whatsoever.

Good debuts from the Sara and Nunez, McCallum looks decent, Aarons superb today.

Indeed though Nunez & Cantwell linked really well and Omobamdele is a giant, funny but he’s the first name on my team sheet! Immense!

With this squad we really should be seeing so much more! 

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

There were definitely times today where he was trying too hard to force something but he's got the type of vision that few have at this level.

That trying too hard is because of the pressure he has been under. He wants to please us. Its up to Deano to tell him he is doing good and just be natural without trying the worldie too much.

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Bang on the money. Gibson is a liability really.

We need an upgrade on Hernandez, just no finished product whatsoever.

Good debuts from the Sara and Nunez, McCallum looks decent, Aarons superb today.

This might be Ramsey. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

This might be Ramsey. 

Wasn't it supposed to be Rashica/Tzolis?

Hernandez is clumsy but he is direct.

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

That trying too hard is because of the pressure he has been under. He wants to please us. Its up to Deano to tell him he is doing good and just be natural without trying the worldie too much.

Yes - agreed. I will be the first to hold my hands up in that I wanted him never to play for us again after the exploits of last season. I can't believe the turnaround we seem to be witnessing. A long way off some of the performances he has produced in the past but his commitment was top class and he appears to have ditched the theatrics. Currently, he looks as if he will be a top player for us and will take  a lot of shifting from the team if he maintains his improvement.   

Just to also note, I think we will benefit once Sorensen is out of the side. He doesn't have the drive, pace or directness to counter press how Smith wants us too and having someone like Sara who hopefully does could be a big deal.

16 minutes ago, Indy said:

Indeed though Nunez & Cantwell linked really well and Omobamdele is a giant, funny but he’s the first name on my team sheet! Immense!

With this squad we really should be seeing so much more! 

There is a very good team lurking in there. He just needs to start getting the best out of them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Just to also note, I think we will benefit once Sorensen is out of the side. He doesn't have the drive, pace or directness to counter press how Smith wants us too and having someone like Sara who hopefully does could be a big deal.

Agree, as much as I admire Sorensen football elegance, he’s far too relaxed! I’m looking forward to Hayden being fit, with Nunez, Sara with front three of Rashica, Cantwell & Pukki (Fully firing Pukki).

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

I liked McCallum too. He looked positive and confident and not tainted by the misery of relegation. Some decent passes, link up play and pace too.

Needs some cover though if Dimi is out.

Edited by Drazen Muzinic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

There is a very good team lurking in there. He just needs to start getting the best out of them. 

There’s the key, as I believe there’s a young manager just around the midlands who would do a great job! No pressure on Smith! 😉👍

11 minutes ago, Indy said:

Agree, as much as I admire Sorensen football elegance, he’s far too relaxed! I’m looking forward to Hayden being fit, with Nunez, Sara with front three of Rashica, Cantwell & Pukki (Fully firing Pukki).

Weirdly I think Sorensen would have been more suited to Farkes midfield although I also understand why he didn't play under him.

I know you don't rate Smith but I think we cam both agree to play his counter-pressing style we need significant energy in centre midfield and you need everyone to commit to pressing trigger points - McLean, Nunez and Cantwell did but Sorensen was too slow to engage.

Agree fully with the summary in 1st post.

Due to the types of signings made last season, we effectively have two sets of players wanting/needing to play two different styles. For example, Cantwell and Nunez will play better with Pukki. Onel, Rashica, and Sargent would play better with Hugill up top. 

Sinani is neither and just needs to go, offers nothing. Sorenson also needs to revert back to being reserve left-back for all the reasons mentioned in this thread already. 

When fit, Hayden, Mclean, Sara, Nunez, Cantwell, Pukki would work very well. Then chuck on Onel with Sargent and Hugill together if needed. 

I'd agree for the most part with the OP

Biggest positive is how we had Wigan on the ropes from minute 1, negatives of course being how we fell away when we conceded.

McCallum really impressed me, Hernandez made a difference and even Sargent made us a bit more vertically mobile when he came on- but with that disclaimer that you hope that late chance fell to anyone but him, as a forward too.

Rashica really the biggest concern for me, as we seem to be pitching a lot of our attacking hope on him but he excels at nothing as a winger. And dare I say, Pukki looks a bit like a spare part in this side.

All in all I'm not overly concerned  we showed enough today and you do get these **** scrappy games at this level.

Agree with all of your points, KC. I'd just like to comment on these two:

Rashica - I just don't think it's clicked for him. I don't like people criticising the recruitment for buying him because, on paper, his signing made absolute sense (as opposed to Sargent, when several question marks were raised when we joined). We need to figure out how to get the best out of him. I assume other clubs must've thought the same about Pukki.

Hernandez- I agree with your assessment but I feel like we could've used him in the PL. Whilst he obviously wouldn't have kept us up, he would've at least progressed the ball, won the odd set piece and generally relieved the pressure/make something happen.... re-reading that really reminded how bad we were last season!

Edited by Yellow and Green

Good post, pretty much agree on everything.

Other small positive for me was seeing Sara get some minutes, he made one really nice run getting to a ball that looked like it was going out and getting a cross in. Plus the blocked shot. Very early days but just nice to see he’s fit and ready.

52 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Weirdly I think Sorensen would have been more suited to Farkes midfield although I also understand why he didn't play under him.

I know you don't rate Smith but I think we cam both agree to play his counter-pressing style we need significant energy in centre midfield and you need everyone to commit to pressing trigger points - McLean, Nunez and Cantwell did but Sorensen was too slow to engage.

It’s not that I don’t rate Smith, I really like him, he’s a decent guy and British coach, I genuinely want him to do well! But in parts yes decent enough today but I look objectively and it’s a very ordinary Wigan team at home! They were never going to be 50 / 50 with us, so I’m not surprised at the game and how some people can see improvement., really if we didn’t look good against Wigan then it will be a poor season!

Mclean was poor till the second half when he did improve, but Nunez and Cantwell looked very good along with others no doubt.

I just want to see more passion for this club from Smith, he’s making me think he’s just treading water here till he get either a better offer or sacked! Maybe it’s just his manner! 👍💚💛

Edited by Indy

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Positives 

Nunez- thrown in after only a few days at the club but looked the part. Have to believe he'll get better as time goes on.

Omobamidele- Rolls Royce central defender at this level. First name on the team sheet.

Aarons- looked more like his old self, overlapping and playing on the front foot- will be a big player for us this season.

Cantwell- not back to his peak but looked like he's got his head down and playing as part of team.

Negatives

Gibson- just dreadful today. At fault for the goal and generally looked dodgy all game.

Pukki- lots of talk last week about service but looked rusty today even when given the ball. Let's hope he's just having a slow start.

Rashica- don't think he played poorly but he just looks like he belongs in a different team. Gave his fullback issues but obviously wants to put crosses in and we don't need someone doing that unless we're expecting more of our midfielders to get into the box too.

Sorenson- the 'he's the answer' hype train must be running out of steam now. Looked lightweight and easily bypassed and we looked significantly better when he went off.

Sinani- absolutely anonymous when he came on.

Can't decide

Hernandez- looked a massive threat and had his fullback on toast but christ his final ball is non existent. I can't remember him once making the right call after his good work got us into a great position. One of the most frustrating players we have.

On Sinani, I have never seen him play before so I'll treat him like a new signing. 

Hernandez can be a threat for us if he's employed in a slightly different way.. start a move from midfield then make diagonal runs to the opposition box, spotted by a good through ball by Cantwell or Nuñez. I may be wrong but arguably he has done more for us than Milot.

Teemu needs closer support to be effective- in this version of 433 I dunno if he's getting enough.

Suppose the biggest issue is that while we still have the ability to dominate games against weaker teams we still mistakes poor mistakes that lead to easy goes for the oppisiton, and I get the feeling that todays game could have been 300 minutes long and we still would not have scored a second goal

I couldn’t watch the whole game but from what I saw all your points cover well. Pukki definitely had the ball in positions where he scores 2 and 4 seasons ago. Probably just not sharp or used to having chances but a concern! What can you say about Gibson really. Cost us the game. Last season there was lots of talk how Deano kept dropping him but he’ll have no choice after today, and for some time. Just doesn’t have the composure. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Excellent post all round. Don't disagree with this, but wonder how fit he was. That doesn't excuse the mistake for the goal, but he really did look off the pace. I got the strong impression that Smith would rather have not played him today. Stupid Grant Hanley.

11 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Excellent post all round. Don't disagree with this, but wonder how fit he was. That doesn't excuse the mistake for the goal, but he really did look off the pace. I got the strong impression that Smith would rather have not played him today. Stupid Grant Hanley.

Gibson was off pace all last season, it’s not his fitness I am afraid, just poor.