KeiranShikari

Onel Hernandez on the wing

Love the guy, great attitude but all you need do is stand him up and wait for him to beat himself! No finished product whatsoever.

It was great to see him back. One of the few remaining connections with the spirit of 18-19 Farkeball we're all missing so much. 

It was also great to be reminded how much he loves a blind alley. 

• Like 2

I thought he did quite well. At least he got the crowd going and had a bit of physicality. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Love the guy, great attitude but all you need do is stand him up and wait for him to beat himself! No finished product whatsoever.

In our promotion season he found that spark and scored a few as well as some great assists. Never quite hit that form again, but then again he's also not been given a run of games like that. Still a great option off the bench against tiring legs 

1 minute ago, AJ said:

In our promotion season he found that spark and scored a few as well as some great assists. Never quite hit that form again, but then again he's also not been given a run of games like that. Still a great option off the bench against tiring legs 

I still think he is better on the right wing. What he gains by getting past his defender he then loses by having to cut back, faff around and then fail to get a cross or shot off.

Even if he doesn't get his final ball right sometimes he can be effective just unsettling defenders and causing uncertainty.

And if he plays enough minutes he will pop up with some goals and assists.

He wasn’t awful but he is head down and seemingly sometimes totally unaware of what’s going on around him

If he had end product he wouldn't be here because he can beat a fullback for pace, strength and trickery.

He isn't a quality player but his directness and strength can carry us up the pitch, get fans going and unsettle defenders who feel a need to double up on him 

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I still think he is better on the right wing. What he gains by getting past his defender he then loses by having to cut back, faff around and then fail to get a cross or shot off.

Agreed and makes sense to play him there given we've got Rashica and Cantwell on the left already

Onel was consistently beating his man on the wing, would like to see more of that from Rashica. Onel was great to watch and he often caused chaos in the Wigan defence. 

I was chatting to Onel an hour or so after the game while in the queue at Argos, he says it’s great to be back and wants to make the most of this opportunity. Assume he was talking about the football not Argos.

• Like 1

We should Nick name him "Neil Adams "

we searched the world for a winger we spent loads on wingers Last season

the Answer  he was already here at the club ! 

Edited by norfolkngood
  • Haha 1

Still a useful option to use as an impact sub. You never know exactly what he’s trying to do but it’s more positive than half the starters from last season. 

I think he brought lots of energy and is something we need against low packed opponents to cause some variation to our attacks. I actually think he did well today

He appears to be massively better than Rashica though which is odd as I thought the latter would be great at this level. 

1 hour ago, Clint said:

He appears to be massively better than Rashica though which is odd as I thought the latter would be great at this level. 

Rachica reminds me of Lee Crofts.  Not quite quick enough for the type of game they are built for. 

13 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Better than Rashica !

I thought Onel bought us energy when he came on, but do not think that is fair to say he was better than Rashica, Rashica got the assist, and he created two chances for himself in the match.

3 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I thought Onel bought us energy when he came on, but do not think that is fair to say he was better than Rashica, Rashica got the assist, and he created two chances for himself in the match.

Agreed. 

Rashica was good yesterday, but needs to assist more rather than try and make chances for himself.

Think Onel is an asset for a champs level team playing on the front foot. Hes a useful ball carrier and his energy can unsettle opponents. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say he changed the game yesterday but he did have an impact and caused some chaos.

Agree with some of the comments though, it feels a bit odd having him back as a year ago he was surplus to requirements and I expect this will be his final season here.

16 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Would not say awful, clearly was working and trying hard just has no end product

Works hard, gives his all and clearly cares but as you say no end product which would be quite useful from a winger. 

As I said on another thread he beats a player (often easily) then has a think about what to do next. It's that lack of vision that stops him being a top player.