Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Nunez

What did people at the game think?

Watching on TV he seemed a pretty intelligent player with some nice passes in his locker. Having only really just arrived he seemed to understand the game and our patterns of passing pretty well. Also won a few aerial battles that surprised me.

Pretty optimistic with what I saw.

• Like 1

Played well in the opening period but once Wigan took the lead and they started to sit deep he struggled to find the pockets of space. Unlucky not to score and looked a world above anyone we signed last season... But yeah, early days!

Going to struggle with the physicality he got knocked around a bit and it seemed like he did not really know what to do with it.

Good on the ball and looked dangerous, faded out toward the end of the first half 

• Like 1

Played ok, some nice touches but did fade; he’s obviously match-sharp having been playing in Chile, but the pace of the game may be a bit different.

Looked like a player comfortable on the ball and reads the game superbly well. We miss a full on Pukki to link up with Nunez, if Pukki can stay fit and get firing we’ll see more from Nunez’s game.

But very good first game, as a side note looked to bring more out of both Cantwell and Rashica too, linked the ball to them quickly.

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Played ok, some nice touches but did fade; he’s obviously match-sharp having been playing in Chile, but the pace of the game may be a bit different.

This, basically. Looked like he'll be a good addition, difficult to say more than that at this stage.

About as good as I expected, he will need time to adjust to not only the English game but also how tough(physically) a league the championship is. I'm hopeful he'll get there soon enough.

Edited by Inch High aka Inchy..

Echo the points above. Just to give credit to Smith for starting him in the first place. They're are a few on here who seem to think players need time to gel, settle and adjust. Nunez showed that he was match sharpand did well especially early on.

Couple of lovely cross-field balls. We used to have those coming out of defence with Godfrey and Zimmermann. Obviously, Nunez was further up the pitch, but the ability to shift the ball quickly from side to side is what can unhinge a lot of these teams sitting deep.

• Like 1

I was impressed how effective he was considering how few training sessions he has had with the team

13 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Just like Todd

Cantwell was the only player creating anything behind Pukki and was instrumental in the buildup to our goal. 

Just now, Petriix said:

Cantwell was the only player creating anything behind Pukki and was instrumental in the buildup to our goal. 

He had a crap second half did nothing

13 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

He had a crap second half did nothing

Utter BS. He was our best player. 

3 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Utter BS. He was our best player. 

Ghost in the second half. Loads of crap passes. Lots more endeavour though

Had a decent effort in the 1st half and should have been given a lay-off by Pukki in the 1st half too to which Pukki apologised after. If he can link up with Pukki going forward, this will really boost Pukki's mood who quite frankly seems fed up of not receiving the ball after a season or two. As a result, Pukki looks worse for it.

Giving a week or two on the training pitch, optimistic Nunez will link up well with Pukki and Cantwell. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Watching on TV he seemed a pretty intelligent player with some nice passes in his locker. Having only really just arrived he seemed to understand the game and our patterns of passing pretty well. Also won a few aerial battles that surprised me.

Like most on here I was reassured that we hadn't bought another duffer. Looked cool and composed under pressure and had a good eye for a pass. He will be a good addition once he's fully settled.

• Like 1

Considering he has only been here for 2 days and got thrown in after a few training sessions I thought he did very well.

Good on the ball, good vision and works hard. Once he acclimatises to the English game I think he will be a cracking player.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Ghost in the second half. Loads of crap passes. Lots more endeavour though

Fan of your work Buh, however you Todd analysis regarding the second half is way off. He QB'ed it well in the second half and set up Pukki for the shot against the bar. Not saying he was back to his best by any stretch, but apart from Aaron's and Andy there wasn't another player better today.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

As someone with a mountain to bear on my shoulders (half of my Chilean family are Catolica fans) I thought he started like a rocket. I'm desperately hopeful he'll be decent for us. Although match fit, he'll need to acclimatise to the attensity of the game. I'm sue he will.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jason Shackell’s Limp Tack said:

As someone with a mountain to bear on my shoulders (half of my Chilean family are Catolica fans) I thought he started like a rocket. I'm desperately hopeful he'll be decent for us. Although match fit, he'll need to acclimatise to the attensity of the game. I'm sue he will.

Ok Sue . 

• Haha 1