Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Refereeing incompetence.

Something to get used to this season.

Max Aarons penalty incident right in front of him, sees a tackle at just under knee height and studs up.

Beggars belief. Looked awful in real time. Looked even worse in the replay. Absolutely criminal for the ref to miss that.

Just now, dylanisabaddog said:

Not just a penalty but wasn't it a red? I was sitting in the River End so didn't have the best view 

By the letter of the law it was wreckless with studs up. Definitely a red. 

Football needs to explain the yellow card award to goal keepers. After 20 mins many of us in the upper Barclay said the ref would give the GK a yellow on 89 mins . In fact , after consistent infringement of the laws , the ref waited until around 97 mins . 
It makes no sense to us mere mortals . 
Did sky mention “game management” ? That’s a particular favourite of mine . 

How comes a player gets booked for kicking the ball away but when a player hears the whistle but still carries on and tries to hit it in the net (he hit the post) then nothing is said. Todd takes the ball of their player early on, player falls over and ref gives  a free kick against Todd.

Coaches and supporters want consistency.

Definitely a bad tackle on Max. What else does it take? On SKY, the replay shows the ref looking square at it.

6 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Football needs to explain the yellow card award to goal keepers. After 20 mins many of us in the upper Barclay said the ref would give the GK a yellow on 89 mins . In fact , after consistent infringement of the laws , the ref waited until around 97 mins . 

Yes Amos' time wasting was embarrassing today and booking him in the 99th minute was just pointless. 

VAR and we get 2 pens and a red card. I absolutely hate this fckuin **** league and we're only 2 games in.

Hernandez didn't help our cause though, it will wind refs up.

• Like 1

the 'Starman' is incredibly lucky no to be in hospital right now with a broken leg. It was an appalling challenge now I've seen it again and is a red card and penalty all day long!

52 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Not just a penalty but wasn't it a red? I was sitting in the River End so didn't have the best view 

Put it this way, if that was Max on their player I’d have been astonished that he got away with it - apparently smashing into someone’s shin with your studs up, a foot off the ground, is not a card or even a foul.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Wtaf is the commentator going on about in that clip.  Astonishing. 

Don Goodman couldn't be a bigger changeling if he tried.

I can see why he didn't give it. That is after saying it wasn't a foul and then realising it wasn't.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

VAR and we get 2 pens and a red card. I absolutely hate this fckuin **** league and we're only 2 games in.

Hernandez didn't help our cause though, it will wind refs up.

Not so sure. VAR would have deemed it..............'going for the ball' no doubt as Norwich were the side looking for the penalty in that instance. Of course had it been the Scousers or 'City', a straight red, penalty and God knows how many match ban would have been handed out to the offender. Today didn't need VAR, it just required basic competence from a ref who was only yards from the incident! 

It was an absolute red card and the referee was watching it with no obstruction to his view.

Should be struck off but he'll probs get to ref a prem match next week instead.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Not so sure. VAR would have deemed it..............'going for the ball' no doubt as Norwich were the side looking for the penalty in that instance. Of course had it been the Scousers or 'City', a straight red, penalty and God knows how many match ban would have been handed out to the offender. Today didn't need VAR, it just required basic competence from a ref who was only yards from the incident! 

They don't exist in this league and haven't done for several seasons. It's joke refereeing at this level. Last week's ref was just as bad. VAR gives a penalty and straight red for that. The challenge on McCallum was nearly as bad and would have been looked at. If the refs didn't like us last season, they absolutely hate us this.

• Like 1

This goes on season after season.

The Refs are not competent to operate at this level, and neither are the body that appoints them.

If you cannot see that as a penalty with a straight red - bearing in mind you had a direct view of it - there is no hope for us fans. I understand that there is always going to be a difference of opinion as to it being a free kick, penalty or play on - and that is true of fans as well as officials, but for goodness sake.

I felt the amount of time the ref took to get treatment for Giannoulis was unacceptable. he wasn't slow on occasions to get non injuries treated for them. The time wasting and fake injuries have got to stop, it's the absolute ruination of the game, and as for hearing the so called pundits almost applaud this by calling it gamesmanship is ludicrous.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

They don't exist in this league and haven't done for several seasons. It's joke refereeing at this level. Last week's ref was just as bad. VAR gives a penalty and straight red for that. The challenge on McCallum was nearly as bad and would have been looked at. If the refs didn't like us last season, they absolutely hate us this.

At least without VAR I can put it down to good old incompetence rather than corruption?

• Like 2

It was a shocking decision, in real time it was horrendous, slowed down it was worse.  
It was our fault for letting his decision affect the outcome.  Pukki twice could have laid it to players in better positions, Max turned back into the centre allowing the challenge.  

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

At least without VAR I can put it down to good old incompetence rather than corruption?

I would trade that feeling for decent protection against dangerous challenges.

• Like 1

Don’t shoot the messenger here, but didn’t the Wigan defender get the ball first? Or does subsequent recklessness (which it certainly was IMO) come into play making it a penalty and red card offence? What is the ‘official’ ruling (any refs on here?). 

Edited by Beetley Yellow

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

But Krul, and many others do the same when we  are winning. Possibly not a bad as Wigan, but unfortunately is all part of the modern game 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

It was a shocking decision, in real time it was horrendous, slowed down it was worse.  
It was our fault for letting his decision affect the outcome.  Pukki twice could have laid it to players in better positions, Max turned back into the centre allowing the challenge.  

No, it wasn't our fault at all, it's the refs fault for not giving it, what we do or don't do shouldn't come into it.

6 minutes ago, Beetley Yellow said:

Don’t shoot the messenger here, but didn’t the Wigan defender get the ball first? Or does subsequent recklessness (which it certainly was IMO) come into play making it a penalty and red card offence? What is the ‘official’ ruling (any refs on here?). 

On my referee course, they were clear, getting the ball first does not matter if the challenge endangers the opponent.  I think it should have been a straight red, and a penalty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

This goes on season after season.

The Refs are not competent to operate at this level, and neither are the body that appoints them.

If you cannot see that as a penalty with a straight red - bearing in mind you had a direct view of it - there is no hope for us fans. I understand that there is always going to be a difference of opinion as to it being a free kick, penalty or play on - and that is true of fans as well as officials, but for goodness sake.

I felt the amount of time the ref took to get treatment for Giannoulis was unacceptable. he wasn't slow on occasions to get non injuries treated for them. The time wasting and fake injuries have got to stop, it's the absolute ruination of the game, and as for hearing the so called pundits almost applaud this by calling it gamesmanship is ludicrous.

I posted this sentiment in the match thread. He was very one sided actually until about the 90th minute when he decided to be tough on time wasting.

I'm guessing he had been mentored (guided?...not sure what the best descriptive is for referees) not to react to players falling over. Yet, he missed a perfectly reasonable tackle by Todd when he dispossessed a Wigan defender when we had an overload in a dangerous area and then didn't give one on the same player when he was clearly fouled.

He was disinterested for Dimi despite him shouting in pain.

The Max incident was a shocker really. Have we seen a more obvious penalty not given? 

My son was watching from another part of the country and he messaged me at HT that the ref appeared to be giving nothing to us. That was even before the referee's more contentious decisions.

I'm not someone who shouts out about refs but this fella cost us a penalty today. 

Smith was correct afterwards. Very unlucky today. We were by far the better team and yet the match was partly ruined by this ref.

It would be interesting to know what the assessor thought of his performance and that decision in particular, not that it would ever be made public