Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Has there ever been a manager with a worse record still empd

As I said on the match thread I believe we have 3 wins in 29 league games under Smith, has there ever been a manager / coach still employed in and country with a worse record?

Just curious how to find out!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

As I said on the match thread I believe we have 3 wins in 29 league games under Smith, has there ever been a manager / coach still employed in and country with a worse record?

Just curious how to find out!

Depending on which part of being head coach you want to count, Daniel Farke managed to go 33 league games and just three wins.

That would all be in the premier league 2019-20. If you go from the following season, where he got one win in the first four fixtures, you can get to 29 league fixtures too. In neither case was Farke sacked.

Ever watch a football game and wonder if the game you saw wasn’t the same as everyone else?

Im disappointed about the result, sure. And disappointed about the manner of the goal we conceded.

But overall this performance was so much better, there were recognisable patterns of play, a great set of debuts, Onel looks threatening, we should 💯have had a penalty for the challenge on Max, I saw a lot of positives.

I also think that Smith will recognise how we look so much more threatening going forwards with pace where we can feed Pukki the balls he needs, even if that means dropping certain players that can’t or won’t play that way (Rashica).

• Like 7

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Depending on which part of being head coach you want to count, Daniel Farke managed to go 33 league games and just three wins.

That would all be in the premier league 2019-20. If you go from the following season, where he got one win in the first four fixtures, you can get to 29 league fixtures too. In neither case was Farke sacked.

Indeed, thanks chicken, but then he had strange circumstances of Covid and had a championship win under his belt! So earned that good will.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Indeed, thanks chicken, but then he had strange circumstances of Covid and had a championship win under his belt! So earned that good will.

And was sacked despite winning away from home.

• Like 1

Just now, hogesar said:

Context is usually important, but not to fans with an agenda. 🙃

I’m not sure why if someone questions if 3 wins in 29 games is an agenda, Smith was bought in to improve on the poor performance of Farkes 11 games, well the jury is still out 9 months later. It’s not an agenda it’s an opinion which some of us think it’s poor others still think it’s ok given the circumstances! Just a different opinion that’s all. None of us can sack him so it makes no odds on here it’s what Webber and the board feel like! 👍💚💛😂

7 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Ever watch a football game and wonder if the game you saw wasn’t the same as everyone else?

Im disappointed about the result, sure. And disappointed about the manner of the goal we conceded.

But overall this performance was so much better, there were recognisable patterns of play, a great set of debuts, Onel looks threatening, we should 💯have had a penalty for the challenge on Max, I saw a lot of positives.

I also think that Smith will recognise how we look so much more threatening going forwards with pace where we can feed Pukki the balls he needs, even if that means dropping certain players that can’t or won’t play that way (Rashica).

Theres no way thats a penalty. Won the ball and max kicked his leg,not the ball on follow through. Wed be livid if that was give against us. A few of the pulls in the box quite possibly though. Still, arguing over possible pens is usually the sign of a team that isnt creating enough. If we want top two we should be winning these games at a relative stroll

19 minutes ago, Indy said:

We had the strange circumstances of covid last season too, just as Smith appeared to have got the team going. Then injuries to Normann, who up to that point had looked good, and Rashica who had looked one of our most likely threats. Then we lost players to covid and made the decision to not try and get games postponed until we realised that was a bad idea.

PLUS he was using a squad put together, organised and drilled by another head coach. When I say put together, if you listen to Smith and statements from Webber and Farke, it's a two way street in terms of transfers. I think it's fair to say Farke stamped some mark on that squad with players.

I think the reality of this situation is you have to give Smith and signings made under his watch a chance. We got to see two today, neither for 90mins, one for less, the other for far less. Both looked bright, busy and positive. We have Ramsey in ready to go, Hayden to come back from injury at the end of this month and possibly other new signings on the way, plus likely outs.

Sacking him now would be like deciding the bath water is too hot, throwing it all out and starting again when perhaps you just need to let it cool for a few minutes and save doubling up the hassle. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Canario said:

Theres no way thats a penalty. Won the ball and max kicked his leg,not the ball on follow through. Wed be livid if that was give against us. A few of the pulls in the box quite possibly though. Still, arguing over possible pens is usually the sign of a team that isnt creating enough. If we want top two we should be winning these games at a relative stroll

Winning the ball doesn’t mean **** if it’s done in a reckless or dangerous way. Anywhere on the pitch that over the ball studs up follow through results in a red card and the ref has had a nightmare today. VAR may well kill some of the excitement but at least it increases the % of correct decisions and already missing it

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Winning the ball doesn’t mean **** if it’s done in a reckless or dangerous way. Anywhere on the pitch that over the ball studs up follow through results in a red card and the ref has had a nightmare today. VAR may well kill some of the excitement but at least it increases the % of correct decisions and already missing it

Absolutely. That is a penalty in any game, anywhere  - and quite possibly a red card.  I don’t think you’ll see any clearer-cut penalty decision this season, and just how the ref got it so wrong is beyond my comprehension. He needs to be dropped off the list and sharpish if he thinks those challenges are ok.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

That is a penalty in any game, anywhere  - and quite possibly a red card.  I don’t think you’ll see any clearer-cut penalty decision this season, and just how the ref got it so wrong is beyond my comprehension. He needs to be dropped off the list and sharpish if he thinks those challenges are ok.

Indeed, the new remit to allow more contact was a little bit misinterpreted by the ref on that challenge, he might have got the ball but it was a two footed reckless challenge causing damage to a player, straight red and penalty in any game!

Dean Smith isn’t a football manager. He’s a deep cover con-man and he’s convinced the weaker minds amongst our support that he is an actual football manager

4 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Dean Smith isn’t a football manager. He’s a deep cover con-man and he’s convinced the weaker minds amongst our support that he is an actual football manager

Craig Shakespeare is actually a balloon model artist who convinced our supporters that he's a football coach by making a replica ipad out of 2 straight and one round balloon.

12 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Any decent manager would get this team of players in or around the automatic spots come end of season. We are two games in. The man has a proven track record that many others would love to have on their CV and the vast majority of the fan base will afford him the respect and time that should be afforded. Until we are at least 10 games in your posts calling for his sacking will continue to be afforded the respect they deserve I’d wager. If by Christmas it’s evident that mid table is our destination I will happily  join your crusade.

Edited by Son Ova Gunn

1 minute ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Any decent manager would get this team of players in or around the automatic spots come end of season. We are two games in. The man has a proven track record that many others would love to have on their CV and the vast majority of the fan base will afford him the respect and time that should be afforded. Until we are at least 10 games in your posts calling for his sacking will continue to be afforded the respect they deserve I’d wager. If by Christmas it’s evident that mid table is our destination I will happy join your crusade.

Too late by then

hes had loooooooooooooooooooooooooooads of time alreeeeeeady

hes craaaaaaaap

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Scraping A draw against Wigan and you are clapping away

STANDARDS?

If you're up against the Wigans and the physical sides you bring on the likes of Hugill, not Sargent. 

There are lots of positives from today, but we don't look a top 2 team. Other teams seem to have worked us out very quickly and refs aren't going to give us eff all this season.

Good periods in the game, but Wigan looked comfortable really, especially when Max went off.

8 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Scraping A draw against Wigan and you are clapping away

STANDARDS?

It wasn't remotely scraped. We were the only team that looked like we'd walk away with all three points. 

31 minutes ago, Indy said:

Indeed, the new remit to allow more contact was a little bit misinterpreted by the ref on that challenge, he might have got the ball but it was a two footed reckless challenge causing damage to a player, straight red and penalty in any game!

Can they give retrospective red cards?

• Like 1

I quite like you Buh. But I don't think this thread is going to age well for you.

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It wasn't remotely scraped. We were the only team that looked like we'd walk away with all three points. 

I think Wigan did when they lead 1-0 for most of the game

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I quite like you Buh. But I don't think this thread is going to age well for you.

“Hah! We finished mid-table! I told you Dean Smith was Pep Guadiola!! Dean Smiths mid table arrrrrmy!”

Just now, The Real Buh said:

“Hah! We finished mid-table! I told you Dean Smith was Pep Guadiola!! Dean Smiths mid table arrrrrmy!”

I think we will get promoted this season, under Smith.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I think Wigan did when they lead 1-0 for most of the game

Irrelevant. They led 1-0 for most of the game against the run of possession, shots on target, and shots off target. Wigan was playing for a smash and grab and nearly pulled it off, but we hung in there, got one back, and should have had another with either a bit of luck or a competent referee who understands when to award a penalty. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Irrelevant. They led 1-0 for most of the game against the run of possession, shots on target, and shots off target. Wigan was playing for a smash and grab and nearly pulled it off, but we hung in there, got one back, and should have had another with either a bit of luck or a competent referee who understands when to award a penalty. 

Oh sorry! I didn’t know we won the “we had the most corners cup”

scraped draw with Wigan and you are celebrating like it’s the World Cup. Have a word with yourself