chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Wigan (Champ) *****

Wasn’t great, but far from a disaster. 

Frustrating to gift the opposition a goal (again) and to see a lack of cutting edge up top, no question. But credit where it’s due - and 5hitbousery aside - Wigan defended far more aggressively than we attacked and they’ll be very happy with a point from that game. 

Injuries to Dimi & Max left us horribly unbalanced and the last 10-15mins were hard to watch; left-footed CM at RB, our shape went (with the exception of Onel seemingly wanting to get in the Snakepit) and the descent into aimless long pints from Gibson was… urgh. (Not least as Sargent offered about as much physicality and composure as my 6 year-old would have). 

Another concern (also mentioned) was how fruitless our numerous set pieces were, especially given how much trumpeting there’s been about our new coach. The corner that Amos came 12 yards out to catch, completely unchallenged. A genuine of case of the old ‘wot’s the set piece doing in trainun Neil?’.

Finally, this game was ripe for Hugill and his lack of giving a f about opponent’s personal space. Not sure what Smith was thinking in that respect. 

Edited by mrdi
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrdi said:

Injuries to Dimi & Max left us horribly unbalanced

I think this is a good point and what made the penalty decision doubly frustrating- not only should we have had a penalty but the challenge also forced us into an unbalanced formation to close out the game and made our jobs that much harder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baldy09 said:

IS SMITH GOOD ENOUGH FOR US OR DO WE NEED A CHANCE SOONER OR LATER

HELLO HOW'S IT GOING OVER THERE IN THE NEXT COUNTY.

Well the Percy Positives and Miserablists will have something to take from today's game.

Great to be back at FCR and the performance was better than last week. The lack of quality in the final third is alarming though and had it not been for Max we would have got nothing from this game.

Ref was atrocious, there really isn't much point going to matches if this is the standard we can expect. VAR please!

The South Americans were very good, as was Todd and Max, but we still create sod all for Pukki.

Much better when Sorensen went off, McLean looked far more effective. 

Still not convinced by Smith, it was still quite comfortable for Wigan, there keeper had little to do really other than lay on the floor.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

HELLO HOW'S IT GOING OVER THERE IN THE NEXT COUNTY.

Very well - nice to see you too at the front row- really do you have to wear that thick woolly hat with annoying bobble, blue and white though goes well with your complexion 

Much, much better than last week.

Nunez looks a player - potential PL level (potential). Wigan were starting to knock him off the ball by the end so he needs to address that aspect.

McCallum much improved on previous performances (thankfully).

Can't understand the animus toward Onel. He clearly terrifies defences & has more power, speed & trickery in tight spaces than anyone else. His problem is he's the sort of player who beats a player & then thinks what to do next. Top players know what they're doing after getting past their opponent. So not a top player - but still bloody excellent & just occasionally gets it right with his final ball or shot. All this makes him exciting to watch, even if frustrating at times. Me, I'll take the frustration & enjoy the thrills.

Lots of people calling for Hugill. Lovely chap, but I think he's one of those players who'll get goals against poor (or uncommitted) teams but hasn't got enough ability to trouble better ones (anyone remember Malcolm Macdonald?) I honestly don't think he'd have done much today.

The ref. was an utter joke. I've long felt there's an unconscious tendency for Champs. officials to 'level things up' a bit for teams with less footballing ability. Unfortunately that sort of attitude is going to end in someone getting their leg broken.

Edited by ron obvious
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

He's an absolute ****. 

Oh the irony…..😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Very well - nice to see you too at the front row- really do you have to wear that thick woolly hat with annoying bobble, blue and white though goes well with your complexion 

Wrong end of the stick. It was the shouty capitals I was referring to, & remembering these lines:

A dog barking somewhere in Sussex,
Can be heard...
From a village In Kent

2 hours ago, Indy said:

We’ve just won three in 29, lost to Cardiff and drawn at home to Wigan…..I’m not sure with a 80 million squad it’s a good endorsement for Smith! Still if the majority are still happy and the board are happy then great. I personally don’t think it’s good enough, this bull about the players not being good enough must stop now! The manager is under scrutiny!.

I’m not happy, that’s the wrong word.

We were absolute dross last year, we are quite late on transfers this year possibly because of financial constraints, regardless new players are still arriving and all have basically had zero pre-season. Nunez looks promising but he’s had two days with his team mates for instance. 

I’m optimistic that things can improve, I saw enough today to indicate to me we will improve.

Doesn’t mean I think Smith’s definitely the answer or Webber has/is definitely getting the majority of this summer right.

However I think if you objectively scrutinised where we are right now and what we are trying to do, it’s too early to make any decisions. If we are 4th from bottom after 10 games I’ll feel differently.

• Like 1

Oh, forgot to mention ..

The Mighty Vincent Kompany's Burnley (nailed on champions after the first game) held to a draw by the, er, not-so-mighty Luton Tahn ...

It's a long season.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

But they didn't hit the target. That is two matches against teams in flux and we are all incredibly disappointed. Only one more shot on target than the opposition at home is not impressive. Gibson did gift them and nearly did it again second half. So thats our fault not Wigan playing well.

Luckily its early days but the disappointment continues from the end of last season. 

Not saying I’m not disappointed, I’m just not seeing the reason to panic and rip everything up before it’s even in place based on two games. Especially when both might have gone differently but for small margins and when there’s signs of improvements happening on the pitch with players still to come.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Can't understand the animus toward Onel. He clearly terrifies defences & has more power, speed & trickery in tight spaces than anyone else. His problem is he's the sort of player who beats a player & then thinks what to do next. Top players know what they're doing after getting past their opponent. So not a top player - but still bloody excellent & just occasionally gets it right with his final ball or shot. All this makes him exciting to watch, even if frustrating at times. Me, I'll take the frustration & enjoy the thrills.

He’s so good on the ball, I think that’s what intensifies the frustration when theres no end product so often. He’s like a budget Traore.

Love the guy and his energy but he needs to make better decisions when he gets in good positions. Mind you if he did he’d probably be worth 15+ million and be long gone by now.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 1

Disappointed with the result but overall from the performance I feel we will get back to winning ways soon. Nunez looks promising and I think the 3 points were denied by the ref, not Wigan

2 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

Just home from the game.

We should have won that, and we should have a penalty in time added on. 

We dominated the game for the most part, our mistake for the goal was maddening, and our lack of killer touch undone us mostly.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, as our Ricardo says, see what it looks like after a dozen or so games.

I was at the game too (my first for over two years, it’s great to be back) and I largely agree. At times we looked like a cat playing with a half-dead mouse, but sadly a cat that’s not hungry enough to finish it off. If we can just up that final desire and find 5% more, there’s real potential in this team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

Much, much better than last week.

Nunez looks a player - potential PL level (potential). Wigan were starting to knock him off the ball by the end so he needs to address that aspect.

McCallum much improved on previous performances (thankfully).

Lots of people calling for Hugill. Lovely chap, but I think he's one of those players who'll get goals against poor (or uncommitted) teams but hasn't got enough ability to trouble better ones (anyone remember Malcolm Macdonald?) I honestly don't think he'd have done much today.

The ref. was an utter joke. I've long felt there's an unconscious tendency for Champs. officials to 'level things up' a bit for teams with less footballing ability. Unfortunately that sort of attitude is going to end in someone getting their leg broken.

Malcolm MacDonald different class to Hugill also had Phil Boyer feeding him passes

Never mind football ability as Smith says Hugill keeps the dressing room in stitches

8 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Not as bright as @TIL 1010 Tillos shirt, so bright they cameras couldn't resist showing it, has anyone texted in to report him for it?

May be an image of 4 people and text that says 'WITHEY'

19 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

That's exactly the image that greeted me when I switched on a few  mins before ko.  I thought ' I don't know that man but I recognise him' !!

Out if interest Tillo, what material is that shirt made of? 

26 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The thread in those buttons must be pretty strong 💪🏻 

20 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Out if interest Tillo, what material is that shirt made of? 

Made in China, 100% polyester and available in the club stores or online for £45 but ' Er Indoors purchased it using her staff discount. 😜

7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Made in China, 100% polyester and available in the club stores or online for £45 but ' Er Indoors purchased it using her staff discount. 😜

Ok cheers, at least it doesn't carry advertising. Though I did see a fetching banana and leaf print on organic  cotton which tempted me. Made in Bangladesh. Fair Trade.  €8 Primark. 

4 hours ago, Monty13 said:

He’s so good on the ball, I think that’s what intensifies the frustration when theres no end product so often. He’s like a budget Traore.

Love the guy and his energy but he needs to make better decisions when he gets in good positions. Mind you if he did he’d probably be worth 15+ million and be long gone by now.

Or as Farke put it, playing for Barcelona. 

5 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Agree. If he made the right decision every time he'd be well out of our league but it would be nice if he made the right decision once or twice. Literally every time today he'd get in behind and then pass when he needed to shoot, shoot when he needed to pass or just...do nothing.

• Like 1

Updated the original post with a link to Ricardo's post match report and also two vids of post match interviews with Smith and Aarons.

2 hours ago, Serinus Canaria Domestica said:

You meant Ted McDougall!

You’re right

Malcolm Newcastle 

7 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Very stylish! (I bought one yesterday)

Good to see i am a trend setter of fashion Nuff. 😂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Good to see i am a trend setter of fashion Nuff. 😂

PM me with what you’re planning to buy next so I can stay on trend please Til. 😉

• Like 1

Anyone got the video of the max Aaron’s tackle, still haven’t seen how bad it was. Thanks In advance