chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Wigan (Champ) *****

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

I mean if you want to ignore any context sure. Not denying his current overall record is dire.

However which club has sacked their manager 2 games into a major rebuild?

We did didn’t we with Gunn?

Just now, Indy said:

We did didn’t we with Gunn?

And if we’d just lost 7-1 to Wigan I might agree with you.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

But they didn't hit the target. That is two matches against teams in flux and we are all incredibly disappointed. Only one more shot on target than the opposition at home is not impressive. Gibson did gift them and nearly did it again second half. So thats our fault not Wigan playing well.

Luckily its early days but the disappointment continues from the end of last season. 

Wigan in flux? They've made one signing all summer. Of all the sides you can claim are "in flux", Wigan are not one. 

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The only parallel is that Adams also was given an impossible task inheriting a squad in the Premier League with too much to do. That's where the parallels end. 

Today's game was vastly more positive on the performance side compared to last week. There is no reason to start pant-wetting two games in, when the squad is clearly moving the right way and has plenty of room to develop as new players bed in and they regain confidence after a bruising Premier 

It was not better than last week. We were playing a worse team than Cardiff at home and had four shots on target.

Just now, Monty13 said:

And if we’d just lost 7-1 to Wigan I might agree with you.

We’ve just won three in 29, lost to Cardiff and drawn at home to Wigan…..I’m not sure with a 80 million squad it’s a good endorsement for Smith! Still if the majority are still happy and the board are happy then great. I personally don’t think it’s good enough, this bull about the players not being good enough must stop now! The manager is under scrutiny!.

• Thanks 1

It was not better than last week. We were playing a worse team than Cardiff at home and had four shots on target.

About 20 shots off target, and only the players can improve their finishing. 

1 minute ago, Indy said:

We’ve just won three in 29, lost to Cardiff and drawn at home to Wigan…..I’m not sure with a 80 million squad it’s a good endorsement for Smith! Still if the majority are still happy and the board are happy then great. I personally don’t think it’s good enough, this bull about the players not being good enough must stop now! The manager is under scrutiny!.

The manager is under scrutiny, but he should not be under any more scrutiny than Farke was, who was given plenty of time with poor results to bring it together, which paid dividends. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Wigan in flux? They've made one signing all summer. Of all the sides you can claim are "in flux", Wigan are not one. 

They have actually lost 13players and brought in 8. 

That is flux.

But they didn't hit the target. That is two matches against teams in flux and we are all incredibly disappointed. Only one more shot on target than the opposition at home is not impressive. Gibson did gift them and nearly did it again second half. So thats our fault not Wigan playing well.

Luckily its early days but the disappointment continues from the end of last season. 

Really worth pointing out, again, that a shot on target has to go in or be saved by the keeper. There were a number of chances blocked by defenders too, some very good ones in fact.

I don't always get that bothered about that sort of detail unless it was a game like to day when Wigan put everything they could in front of their goal at times. Our willingness to shoot was better today. Wigan's willingness to take the hits was equal to that though. 

Anyway, I think it's time to leave the glass half empty brigade to whine to each other while more positive folks like myself savour coming from behind, the first goal of the season, and the first point of the season. 

Off for a swim now. Have fun, folks. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The manager is under scrutiny, but he should not be under any more scrutiny than Farke was, who was given plenty of time with poor results to bring it together, which paid dividends. 

I’m not sure Farke would have been in a job had his first 29 games only gained 3 wins!

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

They have actually lost 13players and brought in 8. 

That is flux.

No they haven't you idiot, they've lost their three loan signings from last season, two more have been sold/released and signed just one - Ryan Nyambe on a free from Blackburn. 

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Poor results at PL level with a squad that was never going to stay up. He was Pep ****ing Guardiola at championship level though 

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

Anyway, I think it's time to leave the glass half empty brigade to whine to each other while more positive folks like myself savour the first goal and first point of the season. 

Off for a swim now. Have fun, folks. 

Oh my goodness. If that makes you happy watching that then easily pleased.

Just now, Indy said:

I’m not sure Farke would have been in a job had his first 29 games only gained 3 wins!

Farke's first game wasn't part way through a Premier League season inheriting from a proven successful manager with 1 win after 11 games. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Wigan are an experienced side, they have momentum behind them of promotion, they have more or less the same team that brought them up.

Cardiff, on the other hand, have had a massive overhaul. If you are going to go by last season's teams, Wigan's side is much more settled, know each other's game, have belief in each other and their manager and know how they are expected to play.

I wouldn't say that we can say either side are better or worse yet. Additionally, you'd expect Wigan to be playing better for the first quarter of the season as they ride that high of promotion. Conversely, Cardiff having to trim their budget etc could easily have the converse effect.

In fact, if being utterly honest, there is no way Cardiff a couple of seasons ago would have deployed those kinds of tactics against us. They full well knew we were the better side, to the extent they wanted to kick us every time we threatened to break, or get up a head of steam.

Wigan, on the other hand, were not as dirty as that, hence we were able to start to build some moves. 

Oh my goodness. If that makes you happy watching that then easily pleased.

Expect nothing and you're never disappointed. It's a great philosophy in life. 

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

No they haven't you idiot, they've lost their three loan signings from last season, two more have been sold/released and signed just one - Ryan Nyambe on a free from Blackburn. 

Check the club out before you gob off calling me an idiot. Yet another blubber because people have the temerity to say what they saw today.

Check the club out before you gob off calling me an idiot. Yet another blubber because people have the temerity to say what they saw today.

Oh shut up you thick ****, I've no issue with what you say about what you saw today, I've an issue with your factually wrong suggestion that Wigan have made 8 signings and lost 13 players. 

****ing ****.

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Farke's first game wasn't part way through a Premier League season inheriting from a proven successful manager with 1 win after 11 games. 

Farke came in as part of a massive overhaul including Webber while trimming wages and finding players in the German second divisions! I think it’s a little harsh not to just judged them both at their impact! But you’re happy with the situation and that’s great, I still have questions if there might be better out there to motivate the squad, can’t say Smith motivates me watching him on interviews and the sidelines.

Edited by Indy

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

What you're saying makes me think you must have been watching a different game. We controlled the game for a good perfiod, kept it up tempo and created chances for a long time until we conceded a sloppy goal. They then got their act together, got back into it with a goal, and were the only team looking like scoring at the end. There was plenty of evidence that there's much more to come from this team, particularly with the new signings. I really don't understand why you all get off on being so absurdly pessimistic. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

Expect nothing and you're never disappointed. It's a great philosophy in life. 

I expect us to win every time I watch us. Its not possible but it doesn't stop me being positivebefore every game. If the events of the game don't work out I don't hide my frustration by saying if only. One game at a time and say what you see. 

If we win the next game and play well I shall say so.

• Like 1

I expect us to win every time I watch us. Its not possible but it doesn't stop me being positivebefore every game. If the events of the game don't work out I don't hide my frustration by saying if only. One game at a time and say what you see. 

If we win the next game and play well I shall say so.

Well there's your problem. If you expect to win every game then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

4 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Oh shut up you thick ****, I've no issue with what you say about what you saw today, I've an issue with your factually wrong suggestion that Wigan have made 8 signings and lost 13 players. 

****ing ****.

Transfers

In

Date Pos Player Transferred from Fee Ref
1 July 2022[a] LW England Luke Brennan England Blackburn Rovers Free Transfer [1]
1 July 2022 CF England Youssef Chentouf Free agent Free Transfer [1]
1 July 2022
CF England Josh Stones England Guiseley Free Transfer [1] 20 July 2022 RB Namibia Ryan Nyambe England Blackburn Rovers Free Transfer [2] 29 July 2022 DM United States Ethan Mitchell England Plymouth Argyle Free Transfer [3] 29 July 2022 CF England Joe Rodwell-Grant England Preston North End Free Transfer [3] 29 July 2022 CM England Abdi Sharif England Liverpool Free Transfer [3] 29 July 2022 GK England Matt Wonnacott England Torquay United Free transfer [4]
  • The transfer was announced on 25 June, and would become official on July 1, once his Blackburn Rovers contract expired

1. The transfer was announced on 25 June, and would become official on July 1, once his Guiseley contract expired

Out

Pos Player Transferred to Fee Ref 30 June 2022 CF Democratic Republic of the Congo Divin Baningime 23px-Flag_placeholder.svg.png Unattached Released [5] 30 June 2022 RW England Adam Brooks 23px-Flag_placeholder.svg.png Unattached Released [6] 30 June 2022 GK England Sam Campbell 23px-Flag_placeholder.svg.png Unattached Released [6] 30 June 2022 CF England Tom Costello England Coventry City Released [5][7] 30 June 2022 AM England Arthur Lomax England Tranmere Rovers Released [6] 30 June 2022 RW England Gavin Massey England Port Vale Released [8][9] 30 June 2022 CM England Harry McGee 23px-Flag_placeholder.svg.png Unattached Released [5] 30 June 2022 DF England Sam Owens 23px-Flag_placeholder.svg.png Unattached Released [6] 30 June 2022 MF England Dean Pinnington 23px-Flag_placeholder.svg.png Unattached Released [5] 30 June 2022 LB Slovakia Dan Smith 23px-Flag_placeholder.svg.png Unattached Released [6] 30 June 2022 CB Republic of Ireland Timi Sobowale 23px-Flag_placeholder.svg.png Unattached Released [5] 30 June 2022 CF England Levi Welsh 23px-Flag_placeholder.svg.png Unattached Released [6] 17 July 2022 CB England Adam Long England Doncaster Rovers Undisclosed [10]

Loans in

Loans out

Pos Player Loaned to On loan until Ref 19 July 2022 LW Northern Ireland Jordan Jones Scotland Kilmarnock End of Season [11] 21 July 2022 LB Scotland Luke Robinson England Tranmere Rovers End of Season [12] 27 July 2022 GK England Sam Tickle England Warrington Rylands 1906 1 January 2023 [13] 3 August 2022 AM Republic of Ireland Jamie McGrath Scotland Dundee United End of Season

[14]