chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Wigan (Champ) *****

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

You know things aren’t good when you feel almost happy to have drawn with Wigan!! 

Opposite to us. Team coming off a promotion win, on the up, players full of confidence. A lot of our players look jaded, confidence shot to pieces (see when the goal went in), only the new boys and those returning from loans don’t seem affected. Even Pukki doesn’t look himself. 

FT: 1-1. Audible boos at the whistle BUT the performance was much better, just lacked the goals we should have had in the first 30 minutes. Also if I were the set piece coach I’d be very nervous on Monday, we didn’t create a single proper opportunity from the huge number of corners and free kicks we had, and I don’t think you can blame the deliveries as Todd was pretty consistent with them.

Lots more **** teams for us to beat becomes lots more **** teams we'll give a result to. Late playoff charge at best

Terrible - 3 or 4 standout players but it’s just not enough. Soon as Aaron’s came off it was trust to luck passing 

We cannot win at home against Wigan….Wigan! ….WIGAN!!  For goodness sake!!!  Wonder what excuses Smith can come up with?  Perhaps the grass was the wrong shade of green?  Or perhaps Smith cannot organise or coach a team?

• Like 2

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Hugill scores 6 preseason but Sarge comes on and as usual, fluff his lines.

Don't see why we didn't chuck Hugill and Sargent on for Pukki and get some crosses into the box at that point of the game. Two wide wingers on, two bigger players in the middle. Kitchen sink time

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AJ said:

Despite dominating the entire game, we just don't look like scoring still! Maybe we need to actually sign a striker!

We have the single best striker in the league. We just need to supply him the ball he needs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJ said:

Again, it doesn't matter how old Pukki is if we don't create chances for him. Apart from a few half chances, what clear cut opportunities did he actually have? Think he put one just wide in the first half. Either way the supply still wasn't great

On at least 2 if not 3 occasions Pukki was the supply problem to others. 

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

I imagine some of them were for the referee.

I’d forgotten just how poor and what a roulette game officiating is at this level.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AJ said:

Again, it doesn't matter how old Pukki is if we don't create chances for him. Apart from a few half chances, what clear cut opportunities did he actually have? Think he put one just wide in the first half. Either way the supply still wasn't great

There were chances for Pukki in that game, and good ones. He had a poor game by his standards.

Well I thought there were some positives there. Nine times out of ten we win that game. Obviously still lots of questions to answer, but something for us to build on, too.

Just now, AJ said:

There were many times when we were in a position but Pukki did not show for the ball. 
off the pace and low on confidence but undroppable. 
Hugil looked sharpe in preseason but doesnt get on. 
Hugil to start, Pukki a impact sub

Just now, Monty13 said:

I’d forgotten just how poor and what a roulette game officiating is at this level.

And how many thuggish players we're going to be up against, and not protected from. That challenge on Aarons was a potential leg-breaker, whether he got the ball or not.

• Like 4

Promotion teams find a way of winning those games. 2 points lost, 1 maybe 2 full backs lost, confidence lost. Nunez really only positive out of a game we ought to have won comfortably. When players deemed surplus 2 yrs ago are the answer I can’t help feeling we are asking the wrong questions 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Simply not anywhere near good enough. The clock is ticking for Smith. Farke got 11 games at PL level after all he had achieved here. I see absolutely no reason why Smith should get more than 6 games. He’s been a failure since he arrived 

Do shut up.

3 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Simply not anywhere near good enough. The clock is ticking for Smith. Farke got 11 games at PL level after all he had achieved here. I see absolutely no reason why Smith should get more than 6 games. He’s been a failure since he arrived 

He won’t be gone after 6 games and if you honestly can’t see any reason for that I’m not sure what to tell you.

I know it was only Wigan but I thought that was a much better performance. Cantwell was decent and Nunez looks like he could be special. Soon as we can ditch McLean and Sorensen I think there’s the making of a decent team,

certainly miles better than last week…small steps but at least a forward one!

• Like 1

Not really the result we wanted, but some good stuff played, especially in the first half. It's not quite at the stage where everything will click at once like Farkeball, it's a bit further back than that. We were still a bit too slow in possession in the final third of the pitch, and it made it easier for teams to burrow in behind.

Equalised within a minute or so of a horrible injury to one of our own, and had gone a goal down to a sucker-punch (and indeed Gibson error). That's not the outcome of a side lacking character, that's an outcome of a side lacking confidence.

• Like 4

Just now, Monty13 said:

He won’t be gone after 6 games and if you honestly can’t see any reason for that I’m not sure what to tell you.

No I doubt he will be but he’s been nothing but a failure and has shown nothing so far to suggest that will change 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

No I doubt he will be but he’s been nothing but a failure and has shown nothing so far to suggest that will change 

You didn’t see anything today to suggest that will change?

I’m not at all certain he’s going to be a success but I saw plenty of potential today for things to change.

Massive improvement on the last game. I haven't been a fan of Dean Smith, but he's now getting the players he wants and today was a lot better. Lets see what happens over the next few games. I am more optimistic than last week for sure. If the players get a win and some confidence they could yet come good.

Edited by HoolaOHoolahan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

That's not the outcome of a side lacking character, that's an outcome of a side lacking confidence.

well said

• Like 2

It's all very Neil Adams Championship season. Squad is talented enough and the manager wants to attack but he's just not the guy. We'll win enough to keep ourselves in reach of the top 6 but not much more. 'Deano and Shakey' need to be shot into the sun asap.

• Like 1

Just now, Monty13 said:

You didn’t see anything today to suggest that will change?

I’m not at all certain he’s going to be a success but I saw plenty of potential today for things to change.

If you think that consistently playing like that today will have us anywhere near promotion then you are severely underestimating the task ahead. Massive improvement on what we’ve seen today will be needed. I’ve seen nothing to suggest he is capable of getting it

Disappointed, but thought Krul, Aarons, Omobamidele, McLean, Nunez, Cantwell, and Onel did well. 

McCallum, did okay, although I assume we need some form of cover left back, fingers crossed for Dimi it is less serious than it first appeared.

I also thought the side was pretty well balanced and we played nice football, noticeable how we improved when we went 4 4 2, Onel bought penetrative aspect, although he does still some mess up a simple ball.

Gibbo is going to be gutted.

I am confused why we brought on Josh instead of Hugoals, if that situation is not when we use Jordan, when will we?

• Like 1