Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

If this kid is half as good as Villa fans are making out he should be playing for Liverpool and not on loan in the Championship.

They alo rated Smith so I'll wait and see.

Cheers mate, send him back if you're not convinced.......you can just keep thinking Cantwell's your saviour.

As it happens, this lad is quality but still growing into the game, not sure if this is the right move for the kid. With Carney Chuk heading off to Chelsea B, Aaron might have been better hanging around for Premier League minutes rather than dropping down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What this does show is that Webber is giving Smith free rein to 'build his own team'.

So if the 'Smith-groupies' are right and Smith really is the genuine article, we're heading for promotion back to the PL. But if the 'Smith-haters' like me are right, we've just written off a whole season.

But no more whingeing, Smith supporters. No more 'he hasn't got his own team' and appeals to his glorious record at Brentford and Villa. He's been given the freedom of the city. Let's see what he can do with it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dixie Deehan said:

Cheers mate, send him back if you're not convinced.......you can just keep thinking Cantwell's your saviour.

As it happens, this lad is quality but still growing into the game, not sure if this is the right move for the kid. With Carney Chuk heading off to Chelsea B, Aaron might have been better hanging around for Premier League minutes rather than dropping down.

Interestingly a Villa mate of mine text me to say he's amazed we've signed him as he's nowhere near good enough for this league. His stats at Cheltenham are hardly earth shattering. 

Was amused by a couple of twonks on FB getting excited thinking we'd signed the other Aaron Ramsey though 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never seen him play so no idea if he's good or not. That won't stop a bunch on here making loud, obnoxious claims about the lads ability, despite historically doing the same about the likes of Vrancic, Pukki etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Fair credit to Smith, we clearly needed midfielders so he's gone and brought in four of them! Wonder if McClean will be off? Or prehaps Sorenson..

I think this lad is more of a winger isn't he? In any case it is reassuring to see that Smith has addressed CM as the problem area and doesn't think McLean is the answer to all our problems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I think this lad is more of a winger isn't he? In any case it is reassuring to see that Smith has addressed CM as the problem area and doesn't think McLean is the answer to all our problems. 

No although out of all our pre existing midfielders can pretty much guarantee he will get the most game time and likely still feature regularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly the loan system is a part of life in the championship. It also makes good short term sense, but this is only if the player loaned in is a considerable upgrade on what you have and as an actual permanent signing was out of reach. This to me is a strange one and might or might not work out but if he is a player we really wanted at the start of the window,  you would imagine he would have been cheaper than some of the other midfielder's we have already brought. We must have enough in midfield now unless Smith doesn't rate what we have. If he doesn't then why have we signed these players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Clicked on Villa's forum expecting more balance than Twitter and got this, a repeat of the Chelsea fans last year. We've not ever been like this when loaning out a player, right?

'Wish we didnt loan him to Norwich, their fans are all in the Cuckoo's nest and dont deserve Ramsey. they should stick to developing their own crappy youngsters like their fans are suggesting'

'**** the Norwich fans, AJ is already their best player.'

Edited by KeiranShikari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fully agree that we must live and work in the modern day and modern way but what a shame the Reserve leagues of the past were dismantled.

At that time clubs developed their own players. Youngsters played with, and against, experienced players, club stalwarts, other up and coming youngsters and learnt their trade at the club they were hoping to make a career with; and were locally monitored. 

Unfortunately that system did not benefit the richest clubs, in fact it was beneficial to clubs who were not as rich as they could pick players up from clubs who they felt could do a job for them, that their present club felt were not going to make it with them.

Spurs were a good source for us, Culverhouse, Bowen, Polston, Crook, Brooke and, of course Ian Crook and Martin Peters. (there's probably others as well, I haven't looked!)

At that time if a player was considered surplus to requirements he had the chance of furthering his career, permantly, at another club. Not being moved from pillar to post and getting his permanent move after half a dozen loan moves.

The whole game now is designed to help the richest clubs. Smaller clubs have little, or no, hope of picking up trophies. Big clubs regularly loan 10 or 20 players out each year, usually more in the case of Chelsea, mostly for financial reasons.

That level playing field seems to have disappeared many years ago.

Make no mistake the loan of Ramsey, long term, will not benefit Norwich City unless there is an option to buy (Perhaps all loans should have that built in!)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Spurs were a good source for us, Culverhouse, Bowen, Polston, Crook, Brooke and, of course Ian Crook and Martin Peters. (there's probably others as well, I haven't looked!)

Never forget the wizard on the wing, Jimmy Neighbour. Sadly died only 58 years-old.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

On the surface, this seems to be one of the oddest loan deals City have ever been involved in. Far from being a prospective superstar, the kid  doesn't seem to have made much of a mark at all in the game.

Clearly Dean Smith sees something special there and a special that would be of immediate use to him in his season's quest.

Otherwise, it is a loan which would appear to benefit Aston Villa FC much more than it does Norwich City FC. Too much more?

We'll see. The youngster deserves a fair hearing, but I just hope that the whole deal doesn't involve much of a cash outlay by City. We deserve some luck after the Gilmour experience.

I totally get the references to Josh Martin, as I was expecting him to come good this season. Were there not rumours of his lack of application or something? This particular loan out can't have been based upon the player's skill sets.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

> Invest heavily in academy

> produce amazing young players

>Loan in a 19 year old from Aston Villa

ONLY NODGE

Edited by The Real Buh
J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read in the presser conference that Rowe is out to injury so Ramsey has been bought in as cover? Anyone know how long Rowe is out for? 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The loan system can benefit all parties. Let's look at Skipp:

Skipp: gets to play regular first team football for the first time in his career at a club playing possession football at the top end of the Champ - a huge chance to prove himself

Norwich: get a PL level player for a relatively modest sum, end up winning the league with Skipp playing a pivotal role

Spurs: send out someone who was not in their immediate first team plans to prove his worth. Skipp returns and goes straight into their first team squad

This was hugely successful for all concerned. The fact that we didn't adequately replace him does not alter that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I read in the presser conference that Rowe is out to injury so Ramsey has been bought in as cover? Anyone know how long Rowe is out for? 
 

 

Realistically I don't think Rowe was going to get on the pitch much this season. I'd say there's no chance we've loaned in a guy (who plays a different position) to cover for him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

> Invest heavily in academy

> produce amazing young players

>Loan in a 19 year old from Aston Villa

ONLY NODGE

Rowe, Springett and possibly Gibbs are the only young players who play in a similar position to Ramsey and are close to the first team squad.

None of those three are likely to be regular starters.

If one or two of them go out on loan to get regular first team football, which they need, and Ramsey covers a spot on the bench, what's the problem?

Alternatively, if he turns out to be as good as the Villa fans are saying, and he plays a pivotal role in a successful season, what's the problem there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hogesar said:

No although out of all our pre existing midfielders can pretty much guarantee he will get the most game time and likely still feature regularly.

I think you're probably right unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kirku said:

Rowe, Springett and possibly Gibbs are the only young players who play in a similar position to Ramsey and are close to the first team squad.

None of those three are likely to be regular starters.

If one or two of them go out on loan to get regular first team football, which they need, and Ramsey covers a spot on the bench, what's the problem?

Alternatively, if he turns out to be as good as the Villa fans are saying, and he plays a pivotal role in a successful season, what's the problem there?

Don’t buy it

our players are better and should be given the chance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a strange one for sure, we'll have to see how it pans out. Clearly a Dean Smith signing though and hopefully there are no strings attached regarding his selection.

Throws question marks over Dowell's involvement this season as Cantwell has looked good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

But I gave you a list of cons, you just ignored them!   But they are definitely fair points. 

Oh look, an idiot Meme Generator - Imgflip

Edited by Terminally Yellow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

> Invest heavily in academy

> produce amazing young players

>Loan in a 19 year old from Aston Villa

ONLY NODGE

You're an idiot... Meme Generator - Imgflip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Josh Martin is 1 year older and scored 4 goals, 3 assists in 19 games in League One last season.

Also plays a very different position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Likely a fairly cheap signing where if he's no good we will barely see him, if he is good he will feature regularly and we will all be happy? I see no point us claiming our young players are better or more ready when we haven't seen them play to compare. 

Seems highly rated at Villa, I've never seen him play so can't pass comment. I see it as a fairly risk free signing thats based purely on Smiths knowledge of the player - will be an opportunity to genuinely assess his judgment.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Clicked on Villa's forum expecting more balance than Twitter and got this, a repeat of the Chelsea fans last year. We've not ever been like this when loaning out a player, right?

'Wish we didnt loan him to Norwich, their fans are all in the Cuckoo's nest and dont deserve Ramsey. they should stick to developing their own crappy youngsters like their fans are suggesting'

 

'**** the Norwich fans, AJ is already their best player.'

What came first the chicken or the egg?

Immediately on his announcement I saw negative comments from our supporters on Twitter, it’s the same on here.

Did Villa supporters think this about us before?or is the vitriol at us just a counter reaction to our fans reaction to the signing, given the comment you quoted seems like the latter.

If we loaned a player out and that teams fans were super negative about it I’d wager the response from a good portion of Norwich fans would be the same as Villas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...